• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
GO BABY GO!

Huh... so they're not going with
J'Son as Starlord's dad
... Wonder if that means they're using
Adam Warlock?
I mean I get why they would make a change like that, but... I dunno.

That is a strong possibility,
I was also thinking Starhawk which would be a cool nod to the original comic like yondu and is a marvel owned (though minor) cosmic being as well another option could be quasar (who is starhawks father) and they could then basically pilfer parts of starhawks origin (maybe streamline it as well) either way they have multiple options

Showaddy

Huh. Interesting.
No J'son and potentially no Thanos in the sequel?

I don't think he said no
Thanos exactly, just that he wouldn't be the main villain. Interesting that he said Thanos has other "children"
though so other cosmic characters could be getting retooled like Ronan to serve as the central antagonist.

Seth C

I was also thinking Starhawk which would be a cool nod to the original comic like yondu and is a marvel owned (though minor) cosmic being as well another option could be quasar (who is starhawks father) and they could then basically pilfer parts of starhawks origin (maybe streamline it as well) either way they have multiple options

He sounds a lot like the person Peter's mom described.

Tom_Cody

I don't think he said no
Thanos exactly, just that he wouldn't be the main villain. Interesting that he said Thanos has other "children"
though so other cosmic characters could be getting retooled like Ronan to serve as the central antagonist.

He sounds a lot like the person Peter's mom described.
I think we can use the Glenn Close line of "an ancient race" (or something like that) as a hint. I'm guessing whoever/whatever the father is will add to the the GotG film mythology. Based on the tone Gunn/Feige have been using, I think we can expect this to become a franchise that extends beyond 2-3 films.

Also, character-wise, I'm assuming that Quill will end up having been the product of a one night stand, exactly the sort of encounter he had been in at the start of the film; "I forget you were there, etc."

So Peter Quill's dad is
not J'Son of Spartax
all I can say is that
it better not be Thanos and I'm pretty positive it's not Yondu, but he said it was worked out before hand, so I trust it will be something interesting.

Huh... so they're not going with
J'Son as Starlord's dad
... Wonder if that means they're using
Adam Warlock?
I mean I get why they would make a change like that, but... I dunno.

I wish I knew enough about this series to know what all this would mean... I really gotta get around to reading the GAF approved reading list. I have it in my queue, I just haven't picked it up yet.

I think I'm gonna have to resort to wiki'ing some characters instead.

Gartooth

Wow, and here I went telling everyone the comic origin and what to expect from it. :p

I swear to god it better not be
Thanos after all the build up.

Edit: The person who said it may be
Starhawk is a freaking genius, especially with the "angel" and "made of light" comments.

Zeus Molecules

Wow, and here I went telling everyone the comic origin and what to expect from it. :p

I swear to god it better not be
Thanos after all the build up.

Edit: The person who said it may be
Starhawk is a freaking genius, especially with the "angel" and "made of light" comments.

Thank you!

Another option would be starfox who is thanos's brother whose powers allow him to fly and manipulate women into being attracted to him. Ideally that would explain quill's pelvic magic and why yondu think quills father was a jackass. But that would be a stretch, so I doubt it

Zeus Molecules

So Peter Quill's dad is
not J'Son of Spartax
all I can say is that
it better not be Thanos and I'm pretty positive it's not Yondu, but he said it was worked out before hand, so I trust it will be something interesting.

I wish I knew enough about this series to know what all this would mean... I really gotta get around to reading the GAF approved reading list. I have it in my queue, I just haven't picked it up yet.

I think I'm gonna have to resort to wiki'ing some characters instead.

Just remembered one of starhawks powers is seeing the future/past so the "it was worked out before hand" line makes even more sense since Starhawk often use to manipulate the timestream in the original GoTG comics. So having Yondu take quill and then raise him would definitely be a Starhawk type thing to do. I am really starting to think its starhawk

TEJ

Just saw it for a third time

3etMzLx.gif

I want to see it again, but i might have to wait for a blu ray release.

Christopher

OK maybe I missed some dialog in the movie...but why was the main character taken in the beginjng of the movie? I feel like it was something to do with his father but never built upon.

OK maybe I missed some dialog in the movie...but why was the main character taken in the beginjng of the movie? I feel like it was something to do with his father but never built upon.

They set this up as plot for later on, its well documented in the comics if you'd like to look into it, but know you'll likely spoil a point for the second flick.

EDIT: Though they did change quite a bit for this film so they may not use what is already set, though they certainly hint at it.

Showaddy

His father wanted to care for him once his mother died, not really much more to it than that. He hired the mercs to bring Quill to him but Yondu chose to raise him himself.

Lamel

Banned
Just saw it, thought it was hilarious. Great film, though the beginning was a bit slow and had me somewhat confused, but I picked up on all the new names/locales fairly quickly.

TEJ

How was it on the third watch? I'm afraid it won't be as good because I already know the Jokes =(

I mainly rewatched it to see rocket kick ass, and the sweet tunes. Was not disappointed.

and while ronan is not a great villain it's nice to see a villain who is unashamedly an evil bastard.

I haven't seen a movie three times in theaters since the dark knight.

Saw it last night. Loved it. Was such great fun <3

Loved Rocket and Groot the best, but I loved everything in it, except that the woman character was again the moral compass of the bunch. Other than that, it was such a fun romp :D

strobogo

Banned
Saw it last night. Loved it. Was such great fun <3

Loved Rocket and Groot the best, but I loved everything in it, except that the woman character was again the moral compass of the bunch. Other than that, it was such a fun romp :D

Besides Pepper I guess grounding Tony a bit, what other Marvel movies has the woman character being the moral compass? Jane doesn't do that for Thor. No one does that for Cap. Cap is the moral compass for The Avengers. Banner was a moral guy on his own. Black Widow definitely isn't a moral compass for anyone in any more and is in fact probably the least moral of any of the actual Avengers.

Besides Pepper I guess grounding Tony a bit, what other Marvel movies has the woman character being the moral compass? Jane doesn't do that for Thor. No one does that for Cap. Cap is the moral compass for The Avengers. Banner was a moral guy on his own. Black Widow definitely isn't a moral compass for anyone in any more and is in fact probably the least moral of any of the actual Avengers.

oh sorry, i dont mean vis-a-vis other women in the MCU / superhero movies

it's more of a trope when you see the mainstream media as a general

for example, cameron in House is the moral compass. and nucky's wife in boardwalk empire is the moral one, Skyler in Breaking Bad, etc.

i dont mind women are portrayed that way, just i think needs more men representation in the trope

mind you, Groot was totes awesome in his alignment (definitely a representation in male character being of moral compass) in this movie, so I loooooooved this movie to bits :>

edit: Black Widow <333333333

man i love diversity in women's portrayal :> .... actually i just like diversity in general wuuuuu

Dalek

Another good Monday at the boxoffice for Guardians:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel2014a.htm

It's now almost $20M ahead of Winter Soldier, the current highest grossing film of 2014 released thus far, as of this point in their respective runs (the day 11 mark).
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=marvel14b.htm

Damn. Does this mean Guardians has the potential to be the highest grossing movie of the year? Because right now Cap 2 is.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just finished watching it in IMAX 3D so good. Though the pacing is slow at first and the various locations at the beginning were confusing, I thought the movie was well constructed and Chris Pratt was just perfect for the role - well cast. One of the better movies from Marvel, right there with Captain America: Winter Soldier, solid.

Caode

Damn. Does this mean Guardians has the potential to be the highest grossing movie of the year? Because right now Cap 2 is.

Highest grossing of the summer anyway. Mockingjay Part 1 is a sure bet to be the highest grossing of the year.

The major movie theater chain in UT started doing a $5 Tuesday promo so I saw GOTG again for fun and holy shit it was packed. I mean yeah, 5 bucks, but I thought everyone would be watching TMNT. The auditorium is an extremely large one but just short of being an actual IMAX so there were a lot of people.

TEJ

The major movie theater chain in UT started doing a $5 Tuesday promo so I saw GOTG again for fun and holy shit it was packed. I mean yeah, 5 bucks, but I thought everyone would be watching TMNT. The auditorium is an extremely large one but just short of being an actual IMAX so there were a lot of people.

I have a theater nearby that does 5.50 movie tickets every tuesday

so, I am most likely going to watch new movies on tuesdays

I just got back from the theater and absolutely loved it. I was so hyped for this movie and it very much delivered. It was a ton of fun and I was almost constantly laughing.

Vin Diesel also manages to once again play a character that barely speaks, yet moves me so much emotionally.

Saw this last night while slightly tipsy. Maybe it was the state I was in, but I don;t think I've seen a movie as perfectly paced in a while. No part of the film seems slow and unnecessary, and it left me wanting more. I'd honestly put this up there with some other sci-fi greats.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I'm taking the family to Disneyland Paris in September and we were pre-browsing the souvenirshop online and we noticed the large amounts of Guardians merchandise already available, including a Star-Lord costume for kids. Shame that on every ensemble-print, Gamora was left out of the picture. It's "Star-Lord, Rocket, Drax, Groot", Gamora is nowhere to be seen :(

2401047030034M

Tom_Cody

My copy of the artbook arrived last night and it is amazing. There is so much concept artwork. And it's super high quality too (not just sketches).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785185534/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has 6-10 versions of each of the protagonists and antagonist with a lot of variety between them. It's especially interesting to how varied the designs for Rocket and Groot were.

Very strong recommendation. There is so much stuff in this book. I'm kind of surprised that more of the content hasn't appeared online yet as it is amazingly gorgeous.

My copy of the artbook arrived last night and it is amazing. There is so much concept artwork. And it's super high quality too (not just sketches).

It has 6-10 versions of each of the protagonists and antagonist with a lot of variety between them. It's especially interesting to how varied the designs for Rocket and Groot were.

Very strong recommendation. There is so much stuff in this book. I'm kind of surprised that more of the content hasn't appeared online yet as it is amazingly gorgeous.

I nearly picked this up on my comic run yesterday. If there's still a copy there next time I'll definitely pick it up, the pictures you posted are rad.

shield

Niiice! I've ordered mine via Flubit and it hasn't arrived yet. Is there any new info on Thanos and the Infinity Stones in there?

So I was going to buy the art book and my family said not yet, that I should wait a month until it is a lower price. Thinly veiled excuse for "We already bought it for your birthday".

Tom_Cody

Niiice! I've ordered mine via Flubit and it hasn't arrived yet. Is there any new info on Thanos and the Infinity Stones in there?
Thanos: no. Infinity stones: yes.

The section on Thanos is disappointingly short. They clearly never had him in mind as a major character in the film. They show concept art for his GotG design and some head sculpts, but that's about it. This contrasts with the Nova corps which gets about 10 pages of super awesome stuff that didn't make it into the film.

Regarding the Infirmity Stones, there is a bunch of cool stuff. First off, they show artwork for the door to the chamber containing the orb on Morag and artwork for a mural within the room. This artwork, which is barely visible in the film, is meant to represent the infinity stones and also the anthropomorphised forms of Infinity, Eternity, Entropy, and Death from the Marvel universe! They also have a bit of artwork related to the vision shown when The Collector opens the orb and it becomes clear that these representations were visible in that scene as well.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Infinity_(Entity)_(Earth-616)
http://marvel.wikia.com/Eternity_(Earth-616)
http://marvel.wikia.com/Entropy_(Earth-616)
http://marvel.wikia.com/Death_(Earth-616)

Very cool stuff. This probably the coolest reveal from the book, if not my favorite specific art within.

Tom_Cody

Just what I was thinking. I've never been a fan of the face makeup and prosthetics(?) they chose for the movie.
What they chose possibly had to do with practicality and efficiency of application. They actually explain this make-up/prosthetic-application process for each one of the main characters, for example why they had to shave Karen Gillan's head and that each one of Batista's scars could only be used once.

I'm taking the family to Disneyland Paris in September and we were pre-browsing the souvenirshop online and we noticed the large amounts of Guardians merchandise already available, including a Star-Lord costume for kids. Shame that on every ensemble-print, Gamora was left out of the picture. It's "Star-Lord, Rocket, Drax, Groot", Gamora is nowhere to be seen :(

2401047030034M

I don't think the shirts you find online are the same ones you find at the parks, anyway.

RetroMG

So I don't know if anyone else knows this, (I didn't see it advertised anywhere,) but Disneyland currently has a 10-15 minute preview of Guardians of the Galaxy playing in the Captain EO theater. It's in 3d with the light and theater effects like Captain EO or Muppets 3d. The only advertising I saw of it was the movie logo over the entrance to Space Mountain.

The guy hhanding out 3d glasses said he didn't think it wad worth seeing if you'd seen the movie, but I disagree. The light and theater effects really added to the preview. I would easily pay IMAX prices to watch the whole movie like that.

Top Bottom