• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

stn

Fun movie, good stuff. Just had wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much comedy.
The part at the end where Star Lord dances to "get" Ronin's attention was too much. Just too much.

FStop7

Banned
Just got back from seeing GotG.

Welp. It was pretty amazing. Best Marvel film, yet.

I can't believe they opened a movie like this with a Redbone song playing over the title card. That's... that's so awesome.

My only complaint is about the info dumping. That's just one of my pet peeves.

Loved it. Hope I'm not the only one who recognized Mr. Svenning from Mallrats.

You mean Rowdy from Days of Thunder.

Michael Rooker is the best. Nobody messes with The Rook.

Shadownet

Banned
So I just saw the movie today. Loved every moment of it. Called me crazy but I think with the humor, it beat out The Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past as Best Movie of the Year for me so far.
by a small margin though.
and I highly enjoyed both of those movies.

Now my question is. What did you guys thought of Drax? I thought Bautista probably got the least screen time and love from the audience. But he was pretty underrated in my opinion. He delivered some badass moments and some funny ones too. I just wanted to know the GAF thought of him.

Rell

I would have liked to see the main cast get beat up more.

Everyone gets kicked around, but it would have been awesome to have Starlord all bleeding and bruised by the end of the movie.

It's kind of a bummer when characters are supposed to be ragtag scoundrels, but we only know that because the movie TELLS us that, rather than SHOWS us.

Still, it was refreshing to see something like this. It definitely could have been better, but it was nice to see a big space action scifi type movie with some flavor to it.

Rell

Now my question is. What did you guys thought of Drax? I thought Bautista probably got the least screen time and love from the audience. But he was pretty underrated in my opinion. He delivered some badass moments and some funny ones too. I just wanted to know the GAF thought of him.

Definitely thought Drax got some of the best laughs in the film. The "nothing goes over my head" and "I was thinking about something else" bits killed the crowd at my theater.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
People liked Drax at my showing. Hats off to Bautista for pulling it off. Been 30 years since I saw a wrestler act well in a film. Read something that said he went out and took a bunch of acting classes when he learned he got the role, because he wanted to do it right.

I've been listening to the Awesome Mix Vol. 1 and I have the biggest urge to watch this movie again.

Also, did Daft Punk sample "I'm not in love" for the song "Nightvision"? Sounds eerily similar. I was like "I know I heard this before somewhere..."

Drax's scenes got a lot of love in my showing. He was a funny dude, and Batista did a great job. I hope he gets more good acting roles. He looks like he'd be perfect as Marcus Fenix of a Gears of War movie ever got made.

Rell

Did we watch the same last part of the movie?

Well I guess what I actually mean is increasing as the movie goes on. The timeframe of the movie is pretty condensed, it would have been cool to see some accumulation of wounds, I guess I mean.

Not this sort of "aftermath of the final battle" thing.

Unless what I'm describing now still happens, maybe I just...I don't know.

Shadownet

Banned
Definitely thought Drax got some of the best laughs in the film. The "nothing goes over my head" and "I was thinking about something else" bits killed the crowd at my theater.

People liked Drax at my showing. Hats off to Bautista for pulling it off. Been 30 years since I saw a wrestler act well in a film. Read something that said he went out and took a bunch of acting classes when he learned he got the role, because he wanted to do it right.

I went on a monday showing at 10 am and it was packed! people were laughing left and right. Mostly at Rocket/Grot and Drax. I'm really glad that Bautista did so well. It's good that the Rock isn't the only wrestler that can act well. I hope this can be a career start for Baustista in Hollywood.

Well I guess what I actually mean is increasing as the movie goes on. The timeframe of the movie is pretty condensed, it would have been cool to see some accumulation of wounds, I guess I mean.

Not this sort of "aftermath of the final battle" thing.

Unless what I'm describing now still happens, maybe I just...I don't know.

I can understand what you mean now that I think about it. they don't really get battle damaged until the last part.

Vyer

I don't know that Bautista was a good actor as much as the character was one that would mask any shortcomings. Seemed like a good match.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I went on a monday showing at 10 am and it was packed! people were laughing left and right. Mostly at Rocket/Grot and Drax. I'm really glad that Bautista did so well. It's good that the Rock isn't the only wrestler that can act well. I hope this can be a career start for Baustista in Hollywood.

I wasn't referring to The Rock, who I think is a pretty lousy actor. Very charming in interviews though.

I was referring to this man.

glfC26N.jpg

Patinkin had to beat the performance out of him, but it worked!

glfC26N.jpg

Very amazing guy on set, too, I've heard,

Driving to France to get the cast and crew wines and pastries instead of Kraft Services.

Calming Wallace Shawn through every single take of The Cliffs of Insanity.

Keeping Robin Wright's head warm with his hand.

Billy Crystal only met him for ten minutes, but it inspired the movie, My Giant.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Very amazing guy on set, too, I've heard,

Driving to France to get the cast and crew wines and pastries instead of Kraft Services.

Calming Wallace Shawn through every single take of The Cliffs of Insanity.

Keeping Robin Wright's head warm with his hand.

Billy Crystal only met him for ten minutes, but it inspired the movie, My Giant.

Stayed on set often to meet kids of the film crew too.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I wasn't referring to The Rock, who I think is a pretty lousy actor. Very charming in interviews though.

I was referring to this man.

glfC26N.jpg

Everything you'll ever hear about Andre says he was a giant of a man in heart and body. Was crazy watching that reunion video where they were talking about how weak his back was while they were filming the movie and yet he's all smiles and warmth.

Andre was the man.

Bautista's "YES!!" after that crash was fantastic.

Lebron

By this past Monday I had seen this 4 times already (movie had been out 5 days by then). My loved ones said I needed an intervention.

Just saw it a second time. It's even more impressive the second go around due to the fact that you're able to take it all in easier.

The CG and art design in this movie is on some next level shit. I'm so curious to see how far JJ takes the space battles and dog fighting.

Guardians did such an amazing job with that. The prison battle was incredible as was the final battle.

Shadownet

Banned
I wasn't referring to The Rock, who I think is a pretty lousy actor. Very charming in interviews though

I think the Rock is at the very least a competent actor. His main strength is that he us oozing with charisma and charm. And damn he know how to use it well in his movies.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Seen it yesterday. Liked it very much. Only problem I have with it is that ronin was a push over and Thanos somehow got cheapened in the movie. If the Uber-ronin makes the audience believe he's stronger then Thanos but then gets beat up by a bunch of semi weak people...

Forkball

I SEEN'T IT

+I was actually quite impressed by Batista. He had the funniest lines in the movie and I expected him to be a one note murder machine. I mean he kind of was, but the whole gimmick about not understanding metaphors and his verbose dialogue was a nice addition.
+I think the cast was quite diverse and they managed to juggle the myriad of characters effectively. From the main characters to the supporting to brief pop-ins, everyone had a distinct personality.
+Nova Corps were pretty awesome. I wanted John C. Reilly to eff people up though.

-Ronan was pretty one note. They could have made him a bit more complex and interesting considering his backstory is actually quite similar to Drax's, but they just made him a "I WILL DESTROY EVERYTHING" bad guy.
-Film was a bit bland aesthetically. Yeah there were colors, but the set pieces were boring. A generic prison, a typical mining facility, and then random prequel Star Wars city. Also all the aliens were basically people with neon makeup on.
-I didn't think there was a very good balance between comedy and drama. The drama segments seemed to be shoehorned in and a bit melodramatic.
-The ending was some straight up anime shounen shit.

It was a fun movie but nothing super special.

TEJ

Been thinking of what would be in my awesome mixtape

so I came up with 10 songs not from the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M
-celebration by kool and the gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_9QooYDYtU
silly love songs - paul mccartney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2JSUXaY-tw
you're my best friend - queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk
the night chicago died - paper lace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk
september - earth wind and fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBrWNbjw3RA
smooth criminal - michael jackson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m50p-XScreM
we didn't start the fire - billie joel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WyBTGm8J4
3 dog night: old fashioned love song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ4XHW5Q4gU
Fight to Survive - Stan Bush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhHynAxHURA
-footloose kenny loggins

Yamauchi

Banned
Pretty good flick. Some of the comedy bits were good and other parts fell flat. The settings were generic and bland. That said, the other parts -- the action, the characters, and so on -- were really good.

And man, it felt so much like a Star Wars film.

Flintty

Excellent OT, really really nice work :)

I finally got to see the movie today and it completely blew me away - one of the best MCU films yet.

I still can't decide who my favourite character is - they're all too awesome!

Flintty

Anyone getting action figures or collectables of GotG? I feel compelled to get at least something but I'm not sure of what to go with.

This Hot Toys figure looks phenomenal in the pictures, but wow that's a lot for an action figure:

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=248

I've always looked at Hot Toys as an over expensive hobby well out of my reach so Ive stuck to collecting 6" figures such as the Legends line. But my outlook has changed. Instead of getting a case of OK quality 6" figures I can get an amazing quality 1/6 figure which not only retains value but in most cases increases over time.

I have popped my HT cherry by pre-ordering every GotG HT figure so far and I cannot wait. Currently selling everything I can to fund this new obsession lol

But yeah, they look sweet as. Can't wait to get mine.

Neoxon

I've always looked at Hot Toys as an over expensive hobby well out of my reach so Ive stuck to collecting 6" figures such as the Legends line. But my outlook has changed. Instead of getting a case of OK quality 6" figures I can get an amazing quality 1/6 figure which not only retains value but in most cases increases over time.

I have popped my HT cherry by pre-ordering every GotG HT figure so far and I cannot wait. Currently selling everything I can to fund this new obsession lol

But yeah, they look sweet as. Can't wait to get mine.
I want to buy them all, but I'm not made of money. Though the figures retaining their value is nice.

Flintty

Yeah it's certainly an expensive hobby but I'm lucky that I can sell some of my junk to fund it. Plus the Sideshow Toys pay monthly service is a winner. It nullifies some of the guilt ;)

Took the wife and kids for their second viewing,
practically my
mom, nephews and niece for their first (my third). Lots of singing. Plenty of laughs. Mom said it was her favorite Marvel movie hands down. Owns them all..minus Winter Soldier, obviously.

Theater was packed with kids..figured they'd be watching them turtles.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
How is Guardians of the Galaxy doing at box office? I thought I read around 219 million so far. I was kinda hoping this movie was going to rip a new one and make some kind of record amount of money. It should because it damn well deserves it.

Blader

How is Guardians of the Galaxy doing at box office? I thought I read around 219 million so far. I was kinda hoping this movie was going to rip a new one and make some kind of record amount of money. It should because it damn well deserves it.

Just hit $300 million worldwide.

El Topo

Not to mention its Week 2 drop is estimated to be slightly less than Winter Soldier's.

First weekend in quite a few countries (except for maybe Scandinavian ones and UK) seemed below Winter Soldier though if I read the BoM numbers right. In South Korea for example the first weekend of WS was ~$9m, whereas only ~$4m for Guardians of the Galaxy. Then again, it's still a pretty good performance.

Neoxon

First weekend in quite a few countries (except for maybe Scandinavian ones and UK) seemed below Winter Soldier though if I read the BoM numbers right. In South Korea for example the first weekend of WS was ~$9m, whereas only ~$4m for Guardians of the Galaxy. Then again, it's still a pretty good performance.
OW in America was also lower than Winter Soldier, but not by much (I think by $1 million tops).

Caode

Anyone getting action figures or collectables of GotG? I feel compelled to get at least something but I'm not sure of what to go with.

This Hot Toys figure looks phenomenal in the pictures, but wow that's a lot for an action figure:

http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=248

I've pre-ordered a few of them; I buy them through sideshowtoys using payment plans, just pay in instalments over a couple of months. The only thing that really fucks me over with is the import taxes - still cheaper than buying them from a retailer here though.

Neoxon

They're also doing Sideshow Collectible statues for Star-Lord & Rocket, if anyone cares. They can't be posed, but they tend to look good.

Top Bottom