• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

The total box office for Summer 2014 is $3.6B with one week to go. Last year it was $4.9B, and in every year since 2007 box office receipts have totaled at least $4.1B.

Maybe people are getting franchise fatigue (Transformers 4 made $100M less than Transformers 3) or they're getting tired of the theatre-going experience. Next year should be a good litmus test.

The latter is an excellent point. I never go to any theatre that doesn't do meals as well, and those are naturally smaller, generating plenty of revenue off food, but not so many from ticket sales. I know most of my friends do this as well.

The total box office for Summer 2014 is $3.6B with one week to go. Last year it was $4.9B, and in every year since 2007 box office receipts have totaled at least $4.1B.

Maybe people are getting franchise fatigue (Transformers 4 made $100M less than Transformers 3) or they're getting tired of the theatre-going experience. Next year should be a good litmus test.

Probably doesn't help that the "theater-going experience" is getting more expensive, with less 2D showing for some big films, and general ticket pricing being higher.
So while they may make more off of one viewer, overall I think there are going to be less viewers showing up. That might be factor besides the franchise fatigue.

Guardians and Cap2 are the only movies I've seen in a theater this year and probably the only ones I will see in a theater. I REALLY hate the theater experience; it's just terrible. I kind of like the smaller, 2nd run theaters where it's cheaper or you can get food too but I don't want to see a movie like Guardians without big picture and sound.

Saw this a few days ago. Fun film, a lot of personality and it really is as funny as people say it is.

My issues is with the predictable bad guy, (who's personality is ... meh)

Didn't think we needed Michael Rooker's character have as much time on screen as he did, he's just superfluous.

The characters, whilst mostly fun still needed more character development and developmental interplay amongst each other. I didn't exactly feel that emotional underpinning element of their friendly love for each other as I felt it should have by the end. Made the climax a little boring for me, as I still didn't really truly care enough for the characters quite yet to be scared for their fates.

Either way, good film, hopefully my last criticism will naturally be addressed with GOTG2
7/10

Ivan 3414

Finally saw this movie on Saturday.

It's OK; a decent way to spend a couple hours. Not much substance as to be expected from these sorts of movies. I don't get how people found this movie to be hilarious; I might have chuckled once or twice the entire film and the audience in the theater didn't laugh much either.

Action was run of the mill and honestly the best action scene was the guy with the whistle dagger. Groot was my favorite character; he had the most engaging action scenes simply because of his powers. Drax was surprisingly good too. Chris Pratt is pretty lame and I don't get the obsession with him on any level; easily my least favorite character.

It's on par with the Avengers.

eastx

Any particularly good video/podcast reviews of this movie that someone can recommend? I'm listening to Film Junk's now.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/f/0/bf0...08917675&hwt=df2078da94607dc697a2430c319ce7e1

I recommend Half in the Bag's look at Guardians of the Galaxy.

Some people here and elsewhere gave the reviewers a hard time because they were highly critical of Boyhood in the same video. So their latest review starts out with a delightful response to that:

Half in the Bag Into the Storm and TMNT

Didn't think we needed Michael Rooker's character have as much time on screen as he did, he's just superfluous.

Yondu's presence explains how the Guardians acquire a team of ships to handle the final menace and Peter Quill's quirky personality. Yondu is also an important character in the comics and will play a role in the sequel, so they chose to establish him in the first movie.

Aaron

Guardians and Cap2 are the only movies I've seen in a theater this year and probably the only ones I will see in a theater. I REALLY hate the theater experience; it's just terrible. I kind of like the smaller, 2nd run theaters where it's cheaper or you can get food too but I don't want to see a movie like Guardians without big picture and sound.
I saw Guardians this way, and it was a great experience. Rather have french toast with my movie than 3D.

MMaRsu

Going to watch this tonight at the movies with two friends!!!!!

Hope its as good as IMDB says. I havent been in the Guardians threads in fear of spoilers.

WOOOHOOO LETS DO THIS

I havent seen a single full trailer either. Just a few clips from IMDB. SWEET

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Alternate Nova Corps designs

3dSP9gD.jpg

hidden05.jpg

?

dredd_1_1.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just the scene with Moonage Daydream playing alone made this movie special to me. I think it was brilliantly executed even if the plot was kind of bland. Just being able to inject a different kind of humor, character, and even awesome music, into a superhero space romp is a great opportunity and it's way a way more interesting to me than the other Marvels.

Dash27

What! I was literally just there last week. I missed this . Ugh.

In related (and obvious) news: Disney's CEO is pretty damn happy

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/2...dians-of-the-galaxy-speaks-volumes-in-regard/

Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel is a wonderful story. We believed when we bought Marvel in 2009, they had great intellectual property, they had great characters, great stories, and very, very talented group of people working for them. We did not think that the spotlight had been put on the Marvel brand, and we thought, with their continued success especially in terms of producing movies, and with Disney as a partner, or with them being part of Disney, we could burnish the Marvel brand. I think we’ve done a good job of that. I don’t mean to sound overly conceited about it, but I think Guardians of the Galaxy speaks volumes in that regard. This is not only about a good movie, this about the fact that the Marvel brand has arrived and is very healthy, and if you look ahead at Avengers 2, and Ant-Man, and Captain America 3, and we just announced the sequel to Guardians, which will be 2017, the pipeline there, and the pipeline across the studio, is in great shape.

Helmholtz

Just saw this. I thought it was pretty good. I typically do not like Marvel films much at all, but this one worked for me on some level primarily due to it being genuinely funny several times throughout, and I thought the cast of characters was mostly well done and refreshing. The movie falls apart a bit for me due to the pretty bland overall plot, and mediocre villains. The action was decent but nothing very memorable either. This is probably my favorite Marvel movie though.

joedan

Saw it. It's Avengers Part II. In that it's a movie that GAF raves about that I didn't have any interest in, then I go to see it, and can't see what the big deal is.

Tried too hard to be funny. Groot was cool, and that blue alien chick that was a henchmen for the bad guy had a really cool visual design.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Robert Downey Jr.: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ the best Marvel movie yet

1297599420605_ORIGINAL.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy deserves to be ranked number one among the 10 movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, according to Robert Downey Jr.

Cue the gasps. Be astounded. I certainly was when Downey proclaimed his love for the mega-hit in an interview triggered by the coming world premiere of The Judge at the Toronto International Film Festival. “Galaxy in some ways is the best Marvel movie ever,” Downey says with admiration. “And it’s odd for someone with — on occasion — an ego the size of mine to actually say that!”

Downey, of course, is the star of three of those Marvel blockbusters, the Iron Man trilogy. He plays the Tony Stark/Iron Man characters with a kind of wit, exuberance and edge that elevates those movies above popcorn fare. Yet Downey still points to Galaxy as the winner. Because it was so unlikely. Because it could never have been made without its predecessors dominating the box office.

“We’re talking about how the Iron Mans and the Thors and the Captain Americas and the Avengers movies have afforded Marvel the opportunity to essentially take what was a third-tier, minor, kind of upstart bit of potential from one of their comic books series and say: ‘Look!’ ”

Wurst

Time to awake from hibernation! This is coming out in Germany tomorrow!

Its been a month since i I've seen it and it seems like ages. I'm catching the movie in OV. Couldn't bear to hear Pratt talk German.

marrec

Banned
I can't imagine there are a ton of roles for him. He doesn't really have the charisma to do the roles The Rock does. This movie worked really well for him because it played into his deadpan nature. But, if he can get work in movies from now on, why go back?

I really really liked him in Riddick and wouldn't mind seeing him in more roles of that sort but... I don't exactly see those sorts of roles in movies anymore.

Hazanko

Banned
Watched it yesterday. Was the best film I've seen at the Cinema in a long time. Watched in 3D and recommend it. I would've watched in 2D but missed that showing. I'm glad I did because this film looks amazing in 3D.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just saw this. I thought it was pretty good. I typically do not like Marvel films much at all, but this one worked for me on some level primarily due to it being genuinely funny several times throughout, and I thought the cast of characters was mostly well done and refreshing.
Yeah, I guess it matters for me to say that I've never gone to see a Marvel movie, and have only seen Iron Man (tried watching Avengers one night but I stopped halfway through and never finished), and I thought this was great. This movie definitely caters to outside crowds, along with the Marvel groupies.

Saw this in IMAX 3D last Saturday.... was AWESOME.
Really fun film with a clever script and exciting action. Really dug Ronan, which the last battle wasn't as "cheesy" as it was.
Holding hands and whatnot.

DeathyBoy

Banned
All gravy from here on.

He must be getting offers. He was fantastic in GOTG and he was also great in Riddick.

He's guaranteed for GOTG 2 (and a pay rise), and likely will be in GOTG 3 and MAYBE Avengers 3. So he's almost guaranteed franchise work until 2020. Throw in a few other films (he was widely praised) and he's set.

Plus he can earn a few million on GOTG for a few months work or the same amount for a year in the ring. It's a no-brainer.

strobogo

Banned
It's because James Gunn molded Drax around Dave's strengths & weaknesses, on top of Dave continuously improving as an actor.

Lol, Bateaster is a terrible actor, even by pro wrestler turned actor standards. He worked in his role and it was tailored to his dry, wooden delivery. Which IS his delivery for everything if you've ever seen him in WWE.

I can't imagine there are a ton of roles for him. He doesn't really have the charisma to do the roles The Rock does. This movie worked really well for him because it played into his deadpan nature. But, if he can get work in movies from now on, why go back?

I saw an interview of him, he said he acted on a movie once and realized he sucked ass. He liked the challenge enough to put his millionaire wrestling career on hold.

Cipherr

Finally got to watch it all the way through. Have been to the theatre twice before this but had to leave during the damn movie (TWICE!) because work calls me up and needs something hahaha. Got to go see it in full in independence this morning. Enjoyed it a great deal. Still think they overdid the music/dance stuff but it was still a good flick.

Lach

So the movie FINALLY came out in my country....I really really liked it...humour was good...soundtrack was great

Not much more to add...great job setting up the team and mysteries

Probably tied with Cap2

neorej

ERMYGERD!
All gravy from here on.

He must be getting offers. He was fantastic in GOTG and he was also great in Riddick.

I've seen him in three films; he always plays the same character, he can't act for shit but he has great charisma. Every line he deliverd I was like "that was a bad line, badly executed, but come here you big dope, it doesn't matter!"

mattiewheels

I'd totally agree about the Mcguffin problem with this movie...but the thing is a seriously important piece in a big forthcoming story, right? At least from my youthful remembrance of Marvel anyway. I did like that line about it having some "Ark of the covenant, Maltese Falcon vibe", just owning up to its Mcguffin-ness, ha.

Top Bottom