• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Gartooth

So remember that rumor that was circulating online about Hulk joining GotG 2 as a main character? Well it was shot down by James Gunn who bluntly called it bullshit.

When we asked him about the rumors of the Hulk joining up with the Guardians of the Galaxy (which include Chris Pratt's Star Lord, Zoe Saldana's Gamora, and a talking, trigger-happy raccoon named Rocket voiced by Bradley Cooper), he gave us the unvarnished truth: "I can answer that question very easily: it is absolute, 100% bullshit," he said, adding: "It feels like a great relief to finally say this after all the dumb stuff on the Internet."

"There's not going to be a 'Planet Hulk' movie, there was never going to be a 'Planet Hulk' movie, there was never a plan for the Hulk to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy – I wouldn't want the Hulk to team up with the Guardians of the Galaxy! And it's all a bunch of complete bullshit," Gunn continued.

Thank. God.

Man I wished I could see this movie undubbed. No cinema near me is offering it though. Watching a lot of Parks & Recreation right now and Chris Pratt is so hilarious. Waiting for the Blu Ray to fulfill my needs. The cinema release is also all of next month away. : /

"The whole thing is, there's Sakaraan in the movie. And the reason there's Sakaraan in the movie is because there aren't that many alien races in the Marvel Universe, and of those prominent alien races, such as the Kree and the Skrull," Gunn added, somewhat tantalizingly, "I have some very specific ideas for where those races go."

This bit is really intriguing. Maybe GOTG2 will dig in to the Kree-Skrull War history?

Gartooth

This bit is really intriguing. Maybe GOTG2 will dig in to the Kree-Skrull War history?

That could be their movie-canon excuse to blow up both Xandar and Skrullos.

There's so many paths they could take on a sequel. There's the Kree-Skrull War like you mentioned, as well as pulling from storylines like Annihilation/Annihilation: Conquest, and also a lot of stuff that comes with Adam Warlock such as the Universal Church. (Which is why a Hulk movie would've been so disappointing)

I know some people want to see Nova pop up, but I'd actually rather see Nova get his own movie. Include some of the cast in this movie as supporting characters. (Ex: Nova Prime, Rhomann Dey, maybe Star-Lord and/or Gamora)

As far as new characters in GotG, I think Cosmo, Mantis, Bug, and Adam Warlock would all be strong contenders.

Neoxon

According to the MCU OT, Skrulls are fair game, but Super Skrulls are part of the Fantastic Four license.
That's exactly what I thought. I assume normal Skrulls are like Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in terms of ownership.

It's specifically K'lrt the Super Skrull that Marvel cannot use I think. Since he first appeared as a recurring Fantastic Four villain.

I would imagine any other Super Skrulls are fair game as long as they use MCU-friendly powers. But I'm not expecting a Secret Invasion movie any time soon.

They also obviously can't mention that Galactus destroyed the Skrull homeworld but that is an easy change.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
GOTG IMAX featurette.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDUIR2C10w

For once I'm glad I bought IMAX3D tickets for a film.

It's specifically K'lrt the Super Skrull that Marvel cannot use I think. Since he first appeared as a recurring Fantastic Four villain.

I would imagine any other Super Skrulls are fair game as long as they use MCU-friendly powers. But I'm not expecting a Secret Invasion movie any time soon.

jeremyloveavengersconcepts12.jpeg

Neoxon

It's specifically Kl'rt the Super Skrull that Marvel cannot use I think. Since he first appeared as a recurring Fantastic Four villain.

They also obviously can't mention that Galactus destroyed the Skrull homeworld but that is an easy change.
I assumed Kl'rt was off the table, but the other MCU-friendly Super-Skulls can be used?

I assumed Kl'rt was off the table, but the other MCU-friendly Super-Skulls can be used?

I'm only speculating, I don't think any of us will know until Marvel just comes out and does something with Skrulls. But I would be very surprised if Marvel and their lawyers just went ahead and were okay with all possible Super Skrulls being barred from appearing in their movies, in case they do plan on doing a Secret Invasion adaptation at some point.

It's probably just K'lrt specifically that they cannot use due to his FF ties. I don't think being a Super Skrull has anything to do with it, but it's part of his title.

Or I could be totally wrong haha

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's so many paths they could take on a sequel. There's the Kree-Skrull War like you mentioned, as well as pulling from storylines like Annihilation/Annihilation: Conquest, and also a lot of stuff that comes with Adam Warlock such as the Universal Church. (Which is why a Hulk movie would've been so disappointing)

I know some people want to see Nova pop up, but I'd actually rather see Nova get his own movie. Include some of the cast in this movie as supporting characters. (Ex: Nova Prime, Rhomann Dey, maybe Star-Lord and/or Gamora)

As far as new characters in GotG, I think Cosmo, Mantis, Bug, and Adam Warlock would all be strong contenders.
I REALLY want Adam Warlock/UCT to be the next place they take GotG. Perhaps a Nova movie to precede it. TBH I enjoyed that arc more than Annihilation (which also wouldn't translate as well in movie format I feel). By then, Thanos will be slightly more defined as well.

The only problem I see with that is that everything in the MCU might rely too heavily on Adam Warlock, so it's a toss up. Either he's nowhere near as important as he should be, or he becomes the new star of the MCU. I don't see a middleground happening.

Also, I feel like the stuff with Mantis that happens in the comic books that
splinters the team and they have to find their ways back together
would be cool for GotG2 as well.

LTTP, but no preview of the end credits tag until opening night.

Shooot. Gonna have to midnight this.

Faraci confirmed that the mid-credits tag is in the preview prints, but in an apparent reversal from TDW and TWS (which had teaser scenes by other directors in the middle, and scenes directly following up on the plot of the film at the very end), it's a Guardians-centric scene.

If the missing end credits tag is a purely comedic thing equivalent to the shwarma scene from Avengers, Gunn and Marvel should probably come out and say so to prevent a minor backlash.

Whedon getting away from Avengers 3 has always been a possibility. If anyone's going to pick up the baton it should be Gunn, considering the work he is doing from GOTG to build up Thanos' presence.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It is still very surreal to me that we live in a world where a Guardians movie is considered a success months before it comes out, and those feelings just get more and more solidifed by press, people who've seen it and notably, Marvel internally as we get closer to release.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well given that Avengers 3 is all but confirmed to be the Infinity Gauntlet, getting their cosmic expert on it is probably a good idea.
Last I heard, Feige hinted they might not get to Infinity Gauntlet until even later than Avengers 3/Phase 3. I think Phase 3 will still spend some time mapping out other crucial figures (Strange/Panther, etc.) and fleshing out more of the cosmic side of things (Nova/Captain Marvel) before everything starts converging in Phase 4.

Perhaps Avengers 3 will be what introduces the Gauntlet.

Tom_Cody

Last I heard, Feige hinted they might not get to Infinity Gauntlet until even later than Avengers 3/Phase 3. I think Phase 3 will still spend some time mapping out other crucial figures (Strange/Panther, etc.) and fleshing out more of the cosmic side of things (Nova/Captain Marvel) before everything starts converging in Phase 4.

Hmm. Is it possible they're going for a long tease that will amount to nothing (ala The Mandarin)?

Hmm. Is it possible they're going for a long tease that will amount to nothing (ala The Mandarin)?

Probably not like that as Thanos will obviously emerge as a central threat for an Avengers movie at some point. But Marvel/Feige/Whedon have never actually confirmed that Avengers 3 would be the Thanos movie.

People assumed it would be Avengers 2 and that turned out being Ultron. Maybe Age of Ultron comes out, they continue building towards the Infinity Gauntlet saga, but Avengers 3 is announced and it ends up being Kang or the Red Skull and Masters of Evil or something.

That would suck. Dragging on the build up for too long. And by the time Avengers 4 rolls around, much of the current cast will have left due to contracts being up and a fourth movie with them being mega expensive because of their salaries.
We have spent this much time building to the Infinity Gauntlet. Dragging it on another 3 or so years after Avengers 3 would be bad.

Just spend Phase 3 fleshing everything out in the other films, then make Avengers 3 the big get together to stop Thanos. Only thing I can see them doing to be bigger than that is making Avengers 3 the holiday 2018 movie and then the may 2019 film being simply called "The Infinity Gauntlet" and throwing everyone in it.

Experien

This isn't true, I saw the IMAX sneak peek footage a few weeks ago and it is definitely shot in native IMAX aspect ratio, the footage blew up to fill the entire screen for several shots.

Hence me saying it is post-converted. The director says it was PLANNED to IMAX and that they converted it to IMAX and 3D. Aspect ratio was just adjusted to fit the screen...

NOTHING was shot in IMAX nor 3D. It is all post-converted and James Gunn says so on his own Facebook, "I've personally chosen all the places where the changes occur and, again, I love how it's coming along. The changing aspect ratios in this case are actually a part of the storytelling." He was involved in 3D conversion too.

Not saying he isn't recommending it in IMAX (what director wouldn't though) but don't kid yourself if you think the movie was filmed in IMAX. I was at the preview and that wasn't even fakeMAX quality...still looked good.

Certain scenes were actually filmed in IMAX, & the aspect ratio will change accordingly during the film according to James Gunn.

Film aspect ratio will change but it wasn't in IMAX.

Neoxon

Hence me saying it is post-converted. The director says it was PLANNED to IMAX and that they converted it to IMAX and 3D. Aspect ratio was just adjusted to fit the screen...

NOTHING was shot in IMAX nor 3D. It is all post-converted and James Gunn says so on his own Facebook, "I've personally chosen all the places where the changes occur and, again, I love how it's coming along. The changing aspect ratios in this case are actually a part of the storytelling." He was involved in 3D conversion too.

Not saying he isn't recommending it in IMAX (what director wouldn't though) but don't kid yourself if you think the movie was filmed in IMAX. I was at the preview and that wasn't even fakeMAX quality...still looked good.

Film aspect ratio will change but it wasn't in IMAX.
I must have gotten a bad source. Oh well.

Top Bottom