• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

BLACKLAC

tumblr_n97dn1giZZ1qdcfnqo1_500.jpg

All of my theaters still don't have times yet. What is going on. :(

Laziness. I remember my theater didn't have tickets on sale for midnight Avengers until the day before, which was madness. They only had tickets for 3D in their reserved seating theater, and then finally added a 2D showing on Wednesday before opening night. And then at midnight that night, they kept having a stream of people show up and had to keep adding screens.

Ok, a little more detail today.

Very enjoyable film.
Legitimately hilarious in so many places the whole cinema was roaring with laughter,
The characters are very lovable and believable.
Great chemistry between everyone too.
Rocket and Groot are just awesome!
The story is nothing earth shattering but fun and it never runs out of steam.

So guys, have you noticed this is currently sitting on 100% with 19 reviews on RottenTomatoes?

Y'all thought I was mad when I said it would land in the 85%-95% range. WHO'S MAD NOW!!!!!

Neoxon

not me

i'm the crazy fucker who thinks movie might do 800 million
Marvel would shoehorn every single Guardian in MvC4 if GotG made those numbers.

So guys, have you noticed this is currently sitting on 100% with 19 reviews on RottenTomatoes?

Y'all thought I was mad when I said it would land in the 85%-95% range. WHO'S MAD NOW!!!!!
I recall saying that I'd love to be proven wrong. Glad I am.

For reference, Avengers got a Rotten review after its 19th review. GotG is all Fresh by its 19th.

Quick

Banned
For the sake of my own laziness, I hope it stays at 100%.

Then again, I'd still have to alter the Metacritic score anyway.

The preshow and blue carpet nonsense was soo boring but I had to get the the theatre early, had great seats as a result. But I really don't see the appeal of watching the whole thing or actually standing in front of the theatre for hours before the stars arrive. The on carpet interviews were also really trivial..

Donos

The preshow and blue carpet nonsense was soo boring but I had to get the the theatre early, had great seats as a result. But I really don't see the appeal of watching the whole thing or actually standing in front of the theatre for hours before the stars arrive. The on carpet interviews were also really trivial..

Did you catch the "das machst du suuuper. Viel besser als Steven"?

deleted

Thanks to this topic I made it to the premiere last night. I have no previous experience to the comic book series.

It was quite alright. They nailed the humor and the characters. From Drax ability to take everything literal to some meta-level gags. The characters just worked. They played off each others really nice.
The visuals looked very distinct and coherent and against all odds, the colorful stuff fit right into the space stuff. The direction was ok. Didn't felt to much like a Gunn movie for some reason. The action wasn't cut very steady most of the time and I got nothing from the Mathador vibe they tried to convey with Gomora.

The overall story and the bad guys on the other hand were only 'ok'. I felt that they could have used a little more time. It's more or less Avengers in space, but without every character getting a movie for himself. Unlike Loki, Ronan has no relatable backstory whatsoever. Could have also been the guy from Thor 2. I also don't get the praise for Nebula. She was kinda there, but didn't have a menacing presence at all. Her relationship to her father was only brushed over and her motives are pretty simple. She had potential and I would have liked her as the main villian though.

In the beginning the story also moves along at a fairly high pace. I feel like the arc would have been better, if they made a proper origin story at a smaller scale, like the bonding over the breakout from the prison. That breakout could have been a proper finale and a space prison and good starting point for the gang.

So since we are rating the marvel movies:
Not as good of an origin story as Iron Man.
Not as good of an ensemble movie like Avengers - Action wise also not as nicely directed.
Better than Cap2
Better than the rest. Best humor of any marvel movie yet. Really good chemistry between the cast. Really fun ride from beginning to end.
Most standalone movie since Iron Man 1 and The Incredible Hulk

Nothing flies over my head - my reflexes are too fast

remnant

Banned
Anyone know if the 3D is worth it. I want to see it in IMAX but their are only in 3D around me.

I seriously think my buddy lives near James Gunn or he lives near a house James Gunn goes to a lot.

EDIT: Please tell me this isn't fake?

http://i.imgur.com/qawDYr2.jpg

fake, you need Planet Hulk for WWH to work, and Gunn has already said Hulk isn't going to space.

Also some of the aliens in WWH belong to Fox.

Edit: And Guardians of Galaxy: War of Kings would mean introducing skrulls, which they might not own, the shiar, which definitively belongs to Fox, Vulcan, a mutant that belongs to fox and Nova

Super fake. Would be fun though

Donos

I was trying to not pay too much attention. :p

Yeah ok. It was just that they panned the cam away from an interview and the moderator thought the mic was off. One assistant then was gushing to her how she was better than Steven Gätjen who usually manages these international events (Oscars etc.). Theater was laughing.

Best part of the pixilated-10-fps-stream-pre-show was when they showed a trailer of guardians in this quality. A lot of facepalms.

I would rate the Movie slightly better than Avangers (which lived alot from Iron Man / RDJ).

I know it is fake I just want it to be real. The breakdowns over a Civil War movie over a Gems movie would be amazing. Even better than the shit people said when Star Wars EU was stated to not matter.

Yeah ok. It was just that they panned the cam away from an interview and the moderator thought the mic was off. One assistant then was gushing to her how she was better than Steven Gätjen who usually manages these international events (Oscars etc.). Theater was laughing.

Best part of the pixilated-10-fps-stream-pre-show was when they showed a trailer of guardians in this quality. A lot of facepalms.

I would rate the Movie slightly better than Avangers (which lived alot from Iron Man / RDJ).

When she said she had to say farewell and that the preshow was over, everyone cheered and clapped. Then they went back to the blue carpet for a few minutes and everyone boo'd xD

hamchan

If the reviews continue to be this strong and the movie is financially successful then I'll believe Marvel Studios has the ability to adapt anything and turn it into gold. Because making a Cosmic Marvel movie, the balls it takes to greenlight that crazy stuff when they could have kept churning out more Earth characters. They deserve success.

I know it is fake I just want it to be real. The breakdowns over a Civil War movie over a Gems movie would be amazing. Even better than the shit people said when Star Wars EU was stated to not matter.

The thing is, it seems more people want a Civil War movie than those that don't. It is an extremely popular story, but there are still some very vocal detractors of it. Myself included.

If they turned it into a movie, I would still go see it. It is something that if handled well could be very cool to see, especially if they change the ending.

The biggest issue with turning it into a movie right now is that it really wouldn't work with the established MCU. There aren't enough heroes for it to work right, and almost all of them are public already. It would just be a messier, more boring first half of Avegers stretched into two hours.

Emmet: "Oh man, STAR LORD?"

Quill: "He-hey, man!"

Emmet: "Wow, this is weird."

[said at the same time] "It's like we're the same person!"

I want this now more than anything in the world

Civil War made little sense when it happened.

Tony has always been a little bit of a douche but RDJ does not have a mean enough bone in his body to act the way that Tony did during Civil War.

Put Pepper in the crossfire and then shit gets real.

J10

Banned
Civil War made little sense when it happened.

Tony has always been a little bit of a douche but RDJ does not have a mean enough bone in his body to act the way that Tony did during Civil War.

Of course he does. He's an actor. But Tony wasn't especially mean in Civil War. He was unreasonable.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest issue with turning it into a movie right now is that it really wouldn't work with the established MCU. There aren't enough heroes for it to work right, and almost all of them are public already. It would just be a messier, more boring first half of Avegers stretched into two hours.

That's my point. Civil War hinges on a sizable amount of heroes and some of them being potential loose canons to the point the general public is freaked out about it. 8 dudes versus 8 dudes does not make a war, unless the adjacent Marvel Street and Agent of SHIELD series up the scale it does not really work as a concept.

Top Bottom