• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Went and bought tickets for me and the family for Thurs night. I think the last time I went a few days early to buy tickets for a movie was for one of the Lord of the Rings movies. At least these tickets have assigned seating so I don't need to wait in line on opening night.

So excited for this movie!

Dug

Banned
Bought my tickets online for a 6:50 PM Thursday showing. Which is weird cause I thought it would have to be at midnight, guess my theater doesn't care. :p

Bought my tickets online for a 6:50 PM Thursday showing. Which is weird cause I thought it would have to be at midnight, guess my theater doesn't care. :p
I think theaters have changed midnight showings around. Lately a bunch of movies have come out around 7 or 8 the night before.

Edit: I got tickets for 7:00pm. :)

TEJ

3 rotten reviews now

LV5F0JH.gif

Mariolee

NotTheDroidYou'reLookingFor

Now that these rotten reviews have come out, has your opinion changed knowing that your opinion was wrong?

Disney is allowing the picture to be shown on Thursday July 31st at 7:00pm; 6:50pm takes into account the previews, so the show doesn't 'technically' start until 7:00pm. Sneaky sneaky theater.

I'm considering skipping seeing this on Friday to go to Kevin Baconfest in Philly instead. They're showing Apollo 13, doing a bunch of bacon related shit, and shooting a rocket full of bacon into space.

...though I may just go see it Saturday on my own, or late Friday night. Either way, seeing it on my birthday on Monday at Movie Tavern will be my second damn viewing of this movie!

Once touted as their riskiest film to date, it is artistically and politically as conservative a film as Marvel Studios has ever made. The disappointment of the space adventure is that it is little more than a retread of a pedestrian formula, the numbingly predictable scaffolding of the comic book and superhero genre, hidden under the disguise of a broad comedy. The film’s jokey banter, self-referential tone and pop culture references are smoke and mirrors used strategically to distract us from what is a threadbare narrative of unimaginative climaxes. When the film pauses briefly between action sequences lifted from Star Wars and the digital imagery of video games like Mass Effect it is to pursue an ideological viewpoint that doesn’t inspire or rewrite the blockbuster but merely redecorates it. The film’s values for family and nostalgia are not to be mistaken for depth or thematic goals but compulsory staples of Marvel’s production line, the intention of which is to preserve the genre’s wide commercial appeal while drastically limiting the variety of what mainstream Hollywood chooses to explore.

Uh...OK.

TEJ

I'm considering skipping seeing this on Friday to go to Kevin Baconfest in Philly instead. They're showing Apollo 13, doing a bunch of bacon related shit, and shooting a rocket full of bacon into space.

...though I may just go see it Saturday on my own, or late Friday night. Either way, seeing it on my birthday on Monday at Movie Tavern will be my second damn viewing of this movie!

KEVIN BACON?

but.....I only heard of him in legends.......For ages people told the tale of "footloose" and that a mighty warrior named kevin bacon saved a bunch of people with sticks up their butts with the power of dance!

Ravijn

KEVIN BACON?

but.....I only heard of him in legends.......For ages people told the tale of "footloose" and that a mighty warrior named kevin bacon saved a bunch of people with sticks up their butts with the power of dance!

I was dying when I saw that clip.

I'm surprised, no shocked, that the parts of GAF that hate Marvel haven't come in here to unanimously say that these three reviewers are the only ones willing or brave enough to tell the truth.

That the movie is just "another shitty Marvel movie from that old-school Hollywood system".

TEJ

92% @ RT now.

Welp, it's been a good run Marvel. Time to pack it up.

it's an expensive movie shot on an iphone based on an obscure newspaper funny starring a tanuki, andre the giant, the jolly green giants wife, treebeard, and christopher nolan

pack up your bags marvel, and let DC show you how to make a superhero movie.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm surprised, no shocked, that the parts of GAF that hate Marvel haven't come in here to unanimously say that these three reviewers are the only ones willing or brave enough to tell the truth.

That the movie is just "another shitty Marvel movie from that old-school Hollywood system".

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised too that the GAF Marvel Hate Brigade hasn't stepped in here to spread their message too. I'm sure after this weekend they will.

I think y'all are a little too wrapped up in this review shit. Most of you haven't even seen it yet.

You're right. Because of my personal cynicism, my hype for this movie has been a rollercoaster ride for the last two weeks in which I lose all hype and gain it back 100% and then lose it again.

Top Bottom