• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

I'm seeing it Saturday afternoon with my wife who isn't exactly thrilled about it but is great for going with me. I got my tickets a few days ago. They're great seats in am awesome theater.

TEJ

My deluxe soundtrack cd is close by!

kyGqjJN.gif

Hope it arrives tomorrow morning

I don't think I've ever booked tickets. I strolled up to buy Cap 2 tickets 10 minutes before the ads started on release day and got the best seats in the place. The screen was big.

Alrighty, so Guardians of the Galaxy easily has the most unbridled energy and fun spirit of all the Marvel movies. Yes, when it comes to Marvel origin stories I think (or at least did think) Captain America does it best, but here, the characters across the board are the best-handled in any Marvel film. It's literally hard to compare it to another Marvel film in terms of that aspect because they are so out of the realm of The Avengers characters, but I'd want to hang out with these guys again moreso than any other characters in the universe.

It's easily the strangest of the bunch as well, and I liked how Gunn doesn't really care about setting up certain things. On the other hand, the overall arc still feels burdened by the formulaic Marvel mold. The Macguffin, the explosion-heavy third act, and the fact that this is still an origin story that has to tick certain boxes weigh it down. Also, I really, really disliked anything involving the villain(s). Yet another dry, dull storyline with the worst kind of dialogue but thankfully it's not given much screen time.

On to the major positives, the world is immaculately detailed. There's many, many locations and they all feel like living, breathing places. After the vanilla direction of the rest of the Marvel films, Gunn brings some real style and inventiveness to the camera placement and movement, even being the basis of some great visual gags. Gunn also heavily relies on the 70's soundtrack and by the 10th music cue I could see some people getting tired of it, but I liked it, certainly better than the alternative of a generic score.

Christ Pratt owns the movie, being both goofy and bad-ass in the right moments. Excited to see his talent rise. Rocket and Groot are also great, really funny interactions and off-the-wall humor. I always *liked* most everything I was seeing on screen, even if it was never elevated to really adoring the overall thing, if that makes sense. Then again, I'd watch this in a heartbeat over the other Marvel films. So, yes, it works as a rollicking space adventure, even if it still feels burdened by some of the Marvel requirements.

I'd give it a B.

Alrighty, so Guardians of the Galaxy easily has the most unbridled energy and fun spirit of all the Marvel movies. Yes, when it comes to Marvel origin stories I think (or at least did think) Captain America does it best, but here, the characters across the board are the best-handled in any Marvel film. It's literally hard to compare it to another Marvel film in terms of that aspect because they are so out of the realm of The Avengers characters, but I'd want to hang out with these guys again moreso than any other characters in the universe.

It's easily the strangest of the bunch as well, and I liked how Gunn doesn't really care about setting up certain things. On the other hand, the overall arc still feels burdened by the formulaic Marvel mold. The Macguffin, the explosion-heavy third act, and the fact that this is still an origin story that has to tick certain boxes weigh it down. Also, I really, really disliked anything involving the villain(s). Yet another dry, dull storyline with the worst kind of dialogue but thankfully it's not given much screen time.

On to the major positives, the world is immaculately detailed. There's many, many locations and they all feel like living, breathing places. After the vanilla direction of the rest of the Marvel films, Gunn brings some real style and inventiveness to the camera placement and movement, even being the basis of some great visual gags. Gunn also heavily relies on the 70's soundtrack and by the 10th music cue I could see some people getting tired of it, but I liked it, certainly better than the alternative of a generic score.

Christ Pratt owns the movie, being both goofy and bad-ass in the right moments. Excited to see his talent rise. Rocket and Groot are also great, really funny interactions and off-the-wall humor. I always *liked* most everything I was seeing on screen, even if it was never elevated to really adoring the overall thing, if that makes sense. Then again, I'd watch this in a heartbeat over the other Marvel films. So, yes, it works as a rollicking space adventure, even if it still feels burdened by some of the Marvel requirements.

I'd give it a B.

ermUkmA.gif

Good to hear. Thanks for the review.

Yet another reason British people suck. (I'm half Scottish half English).

Give in to your roots. Become superior.

I always *liked* most everything I was seeing on screen, even if it was never elevated to really adoring the overall thing, if that makes sense. Then again, I'd watch this in a heartbeat over the other Marvel films. So, yes, it works as a rollicking space adventure, even if it still feels burdened by some of the Marvel requirements.

I'd give it a B.

giphy.gif

Is this worth seeing in 3D? I remember reading comments by Gunn that he worked really hard to make the 3D worthwhile. Can anyone who's seen the movie vouch for that?

I thought the 3D was fine, not distracting and it's key in a few scenes.

Better than Captain America? I know you particularly loved that one. And I don't blame you.

It's really hard to compare, they are such different experiences. Capt. was a fun, old-fashioned throwback story whereas this is such a rag-tag diverse group and Gunn's sensibilities are so different. I'll say Captain America was the best of the original Marvel group and I hope Guardians is a sign of where they're headed next.

I can't remember how you feel about Cap 2, but if you think that it was good and Guardians exceeds it, then I'm with you.

I was pretty mixed on Cap 2. I liked some of the espionage elements, but really disliked almost everything else.

Mariolee

I'd give it a B.

I'm ok with this.

Experien

Nope, still no after credits...

I'm glad I saw it last week cause the film died tonight. Lost audio, then picture, and color...really awful.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Awesome movie. A few moments and lines keep it from reaching the consistency of Marvels best, but the imagination on display is incredible and there's some really fun stuff involved. Favorite part of the movie? Groot. They actually make really good use out of having a giant tree friend who can grow in various ways rapidly.

I bought a Rocket Raccoon plushy and a Guardians of the Galaxy t-shirt from Marvel at Comic Con and today I bought a Pop! Rocket Raccoon. I'm so ready for this weekend!

FoneBone

So GotG isn't flawless- the villain is about as interesting as any Marvel Studios villain not named Loki (which is to say not at all), and I'm "eh" on Gamora here - but the action and comedy are both really strong, Pratt is great, and Rocket Raccoon and Groot are PERFECT. The worst thing about it is that the sequel is three long years away.

Please tell me you're full of shit.

Dude.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Which, in your opinion, are...?

Controversial opinion time! In no particular order Captain America 1 & 2, Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

There are some moments that bothered me a bit while watching it. Some small pacing issues that may be intrinsic in trying to introduce this many characters and also tell a full story, so I don't begrudge them that. There are others though where certain lines or editing cuts just felt a bit sloppy. its very tonally inconsistent, deliberately so, and it mostly works but there are times where the control slips and it feels flippant when it should be serious or visa versa.

But I'm super observant of this stuff. The movie was, overall, a blast and like I said the imagination on display makes the entire thing worth it alone. The prison break sequence as a whole might be my favorite thing I've seen in a Marvel movie period. Please don't let anything I'm saying dilute anyone's hype for the movie

I think the choice there is...interesting. The delivery isn't what I was expecting, but I think I almost like it. They gave me a real
Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy
vibe which is a weird analogy

I was expecting
him to basically be a face in a hologram
so the choice to do what was done was a huge surprise to me. The 75% of the theater who were giant nerds (like me) erupted in cheers during this scene, so I'll have to see it again to hear what was said.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Controversial opinion time! In no particular order Captain America 1 & 2, Iron Man 3 and The Avengers.

There are some moments that bothered me a bit while watching it. Some small pacing issues that may be intrinsic in trying to introduce this many characters and also tell a full story, so I don't begrudge them that. There are others though where certain lines or editing cuts just felt a bit sloppy. its very tonally inconsistent, deliberately so, and it mostly works but there are times where the control slips and it feels flippant when it should be serious or visa versa.

But I'm super observant of this stuff. The movie was, overall, a blast and like I said the imagination on display makes the entire thing worth it alone. The prison break sequence as a whole might be my favorite thing I've seen in a Marvel movie period. Please don't let anything I'm saying dilute anyone's hype for the movie

Thanks for the more detailed impressions.

I'm still on the fence about seeing this in theaters though.

farisr

Well... I'm now a little worried. I just watched Xmen Days Of Future Past (finally) and it was awesome, I think its awesomeness may effect how good I find Guardians Of The Galaxy in a couple of days.

The reason why I watched it so late: May 27th, the day it released was the day I twisted my leg and that resulted in a torn ACL. I had initially planned on watching it a couple days after it released. I'm still using a crutch to move around now, but I can at least sit for long periods of time now.

I thought I would catch the movie on bluray so it was completely out of my mind and I wad focused on GoTG as the next comic book movie I watch, didn't even know it was still in theaters, a friend who returned from out of country hadn't watched it and had looked up the showtimes at the local theater and we decided to watch it.

But yeah, although both are comic book movies, they are totally different types, so this worrying is probably for nothing.

Wurst

Well... I'm now a little worried. I just watched Xmen Days Of Future Past (finally) and it was awesome, I think its awesomeness may effect how good I find Guardians Of The Galaxy in a couple of days.

The reason why I watched it so late: May 27th, the day it released was the day I twisted my leg and that resulted in a torn ACL. I had initially planned on watching it a couple days after it released. I'm still using a crutch to move around now, but I can at least sit for long periods of time now.

I thought I would catch the movie on bluray so it was completely out of my mind and I wad focused on GoTG as the next comic book movie I watch, didn't even know it was still in theaters, a friend who returned from out of country hadn't watched it and had looked up the showtimes at the local theater and we decided to watch it.

But yeah, although both are comic book movies, they are totally different types, so this worrying is probably for nothing.

Don't overthink this. Just go in and enjoy.
Life's not black and white, you can totally enjoy two things. If you laugh and feel entertained... why the hell would you want to compare it to another movie?

Yea I agree with Wurst, they are very different in tone and matter. No real comparison apart form the both being 'superhero' movies.

DarkFlow

Banned

DoFP wasn't that awesome.

I was pleasantly surprised that there were showings for 7 pm on Thursday for the imax 3d version, really awesome to not have to wait until midnight for this one to see it at release.

Damn that would have been tempting if I had seen it in time, even after buying tickets for a Thursday showing.

Where are you seeing it? Manchester or Plainville? I want to go to the earlier showing, but I am working until 10 and wont get back to Manchester until about 10:30. So no IMAX for my first viewing. Will save that for the second go round.

TEJ

DoFP wasn't that awesome.

I thought it was!

But, i'm the type of person who can watch the lion king and right after that, a clockwork orange and then Scream and the massive shift in tone from one film to the next doesn't bother me a bit.

DarkFlow

Banned
I thought it was!

But, i'm the type of person who can watch the lion king and right after that, a clockwork orange and then Scream and the massive shift in tone from one film to the next doesn't bother me a bit.
I ment it's not so awesome that it would ruin another movie lol.

TEJ

I ment it's not so awesome that it would ruin another movie lol.

I guess. The closest thing to having something so awesome that it ruins every other game in the genre is Bayonetta, but then I remember my one true love, Ninja Gaiden Black.<3

kai3345

Banned
Just got back, I thought it was awesome! Didn't top Cap 2, but it was still great nonetheless.

That
Howard the Duck
cameo was fucking godlike

Phase 2 Rankings:
Cap 2
Guardians
Iron Man 3
Thor 2

Oookay...I'm going from "Why is everyone frothing at the mouth for this movie?" to "Meh, I guess I'll see it just because, movie theaters."

The reviews are turning out to be really positive. I was really expecting the opposite.

Dare I say it, could this be this decade's Fifth Element?

no way. it's got it's strange elements but it's a marvel studios movie and there's a lot here that can be received well by audiences.

jupiter ascending shares kinship with fifth element. for better or worse we'll see in feb next year

Top Bottom