• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

I don't read the comics so who is
star lords father?
Star-Lord's father is
J'son of Sparta. He is the leader of the Spartois empire. They're in the Shi'ar Galaxy and it sounds like the Nova Corp hasn't met that species yet based on the dialog in the film. Interestingly, this means the universe in the MCU isn't as connected as it is int he comics. Some species still need to meet.

Spinluck

This film was by far the most fun of Marvel films. They definitely let Gunn do his thing which is all that was needed. The cast was great and so was the soundtrack. I usually don't like licensed music being played too much be but the track selection was too solid to hate.

Bautista probably surprised me the most, big guy played the part well. Bradley Cooper was an excellent Rocket and the action was great.

Loved it overall.

sol_bad

So has anyone in th UK seen it?
Someone posted some Facebook imaage from Marvel UK suggesting there would be a glimpse at the next MCU film.
Does anyone know what that meant?

just got back. It was great. My only complain is Ronan is your typical Marvel Villain just there to be a Villain.
Love Rocket

also wore this
10568797_10100275275417722_4537425733634061237_n.jpg

Star-Lord's father is
J'son of Sparta. He is the leader of the Spartois empire. They're in the Shi'ar Galaxy and it sounds like the Nova Corp hasn't met that species yet based on the dialog in the film. Interestingly, this means the universe in the MCU isn't as connected as it is int he comics. Some species still need to meet.

Given the various liberties this movie took with the source material, I would not necessarily look to the comics for the answer to that question.

ezekial45

Banned
Seriously, this movie makes me wish we had a Bethesda-style (in the vein of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout) sandbox RPG set in space. That opening credits was just marvelous, and it instantly came to mind the potential a game can have in this setting.

Given the various liberties this movie took with the source material, I would not necessarily look to the comics for the answer to that question.
It's funny, because I'd actually take the opposite side and say due to how faithful the movie is by and large I'd assume his father is the same until they say otherwise.

v1lla21

Yup, definitely a great movie!! Close second to Winter Soldier.

Not as many kids as I expected there to be since it's a Marvel movie. Besides my cousins, I say there was another 17 kids and the theater was filled all the way. Many peeps around 20-40 most being guys. Pretty different demographic when compared to the other Marvel films.

Anyways, movie was hilarious! Rocket was the best one and Star Lord was second, IMO. Credit scene spoiler!!!
Quite a few people screamed out Howard the Duck! Lot's of confused laughs.

My friend walking out of the theater: "that didn't even feel like a marvel movie"

Me: "I know right! It was awesome!"

Great ass flick. Pratt is boss total, Gunn confirmed for taking marvel out of the cinematic ghetto.

Oh and this was exactly what the Green Lantern movie should have been like.

sounds good

btw you should get on cap 2 when the bluray comes out. they already took them out of the ghetto.

a shame we're going back to shit whedon now.

Dead

well not really...yet
Btw, this movie has one of the best cum jokes ever. Amazing.

sounds good

btw you should get on cap 2 when the bluray comes out. they already took them out of the ghetto.

a shame we're going back to shit whedon now.
gonna get on that as soon as it's out

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's very funny. The cast play off of each other very well with good comedic timing. Also like the soundtrack. Other than that, though, it's constructed from the same on-the-nose story beats as a lot of other Marvel movies.

Generic, awful villain. Does the villain REALLY need to be this lame? I'm not that familiar with the comic version, but reading the wiki entry he apparently has all sorts of cool powers:

"Ronan possesses superhuman strength, endurance, speed and reflexes; which are enhanced by devices in his suit of full-body exoskeleton armor. Ronan also has devices in his armor which create fields of invisibility, and devices in his gauntlets which generate sufficient coldness to place certain life forms into a state of suspended animation. Ronan also possesses a weapon called the "Universal Weapon", a device which uses cosmic energy for a variety of effects according to the wielder's will, including the disintegration, rearrangement, and transmutation of matter, the projection of concussive energy blasts, the absorption of energy, control over gravity, the creation of force fields and "time-motion displacement fields" and interstellar teleportation along hyperspatial passages. Ronan is also a highly skilled soldier and a military genius, having received Kree military combat training, and possesses extensive knowledge of the legal code of the Kree Empire."

Why don't we see ANY of that? Why is he just a strong angry dude who gets the macguffin stone and then has super energy power? Why do we need to go through these motions over and over again when the comics are so colorful and audiences are already perfectly receptive to big purple chin guys sitting on outer space thrones? Do more.

Low budget TV-level cinematography and cheap set design that repeatedly fails to draw you into the fantastical settings. It always feels small as soon as the CG money shots end (see: Knowhere setup vs actual Knowhere scenes).

No effort put into the action choreography at all. You know how someone's stronger by who flies backward at the end of a camera shake or two and some acrobatics. Yet, we're almost overloaded with action sequences against generic enemies or to relative stalemate between important characters that no harm will come to. There's zero dramatic tension and nothing to appreciate on-screen during all of these sequences.

The movie is basically Thor 2 + an effective comedic pass on the script. The humor elevates it, but this is your summer event, Marvel. It feels like you're always holding onto too many cards.

My friend walking out of the theater: "that didn't even feel like a marvel movie"

Me: "I know right! It was awesome!"

Great ass flick. Pratt is boss total, Gunn confirmed for taking marvel out of the cinematic ghetto.

Oh and this was exactly what the Green Lantern movie should have been like.

Music to my ears!

ryan299

I liked it but I thought Ronan could of been better. Also thought Zoe Saladana was awful. Didn't like her performance at all. Also her green makeup looks like its from a bad B movie from the 50s

D23

Still sitting in theater with the credits rolling . WOW hands downn one of my favorite marvel movie. Tie between IM1 and avengers

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Low budget TV-level cinematography
Not you too EviLore :(

Seeing it tomorrow but Ronan is pretty much not the same character in this film as his most popular incarnation. Something important to note is that Ronan has changed A LOT throughout his history.

kmag

It's very funny. The cast play off of each other very well with good comedic timing. Also like the soundtrack. Other than that, though, it's constructed from the same on-the-nose story beats as a lot of other Marvel movies.

Generic, awful villain. Does the villain REALLY need to be this lame? I'm not that familiar with the comic version, but reading the wiki entry he apparently has all sorts of cool powers:

"Ronan possesses superhuman strength, endurance, speed and reflexes; which are enhanced by devices in his suit of full-body exoskeleton armor. Ronan also has devices in his armor which create fields of invisibility, and devices in his gauntlets which generate sufficient coldness to place certain life forms into a state of suspended animation. Ronan also possesses a weapon called the "Universal Weapon", a device which uses cosmic energy for a variety of effects according to the wielder's will, including the disintegration, rearrangement, and transmutation of matter, the projection of concussive energy blasts, the absorption of energy, control over gravity, the creation of force fields and "time-motion displacement fields" and interstellar teleportation along hyperspatial passages. Ronan is also a highly skilled soldier and a military genius, having received Kree military combat training, and possesses extensive knowledge of the legal code of the Kree Empire."

Why don't we see ANY of that? Why is he just a strong angry dude who gets the macguffin stone and then has super energy power? Why do we need to go through these motions over and over again when the comics are so colorful and audiences are already perfectly receptive to big purple chin guys sitting on outer space thrones? Do more.

Low budget TV-level cinematography and cheap set design that repeatedly fails to draw you into the fantastical settings. It always feels small as soon as the CG money shots end (see: Knowhere setup vs actual Knowhere scenes).

No effort put into the action choreography at all. You know how someone's stronger by who flies backward at the end of a camera shake or two and some acrobatics. Yet, we're almost overloaded with action sequences against generic enemies or to relative stalemate between important characters that no harm will come to. There's zero dramatic tension and nothing to appreciate on-screen during all of these sequences.

The movie is basically Thor 2 + an effective comedic pass on the script. The humor elevates it, but this is your summer event, Marvel. It feels like you're always holding onto too many cards.

Pretty much, Marvel is gonna Marvel. They've got their template and they're going to stick to it. I have a bit of sympathy for the writer and director when it comes to villains especially in the first movie of a series when you are introducing the heroes or doing an origin story. Time constraints mean unless you find a particularly clever way of introducing the threat/villain or the villain themselves is an integral part of the origin you're better off with a macguffin and a sketch of a villain (even the Avengers which had the bonus of having the individual heroes and the main villain already introduced didn't go much beyond well Loki is Loki) What I don't get is why they waste an established villain in the first movie knowing those constraints, better to dust off a C list rogue or if Hollywood is even capable of it anymore, write your own blank slate.

Calcium

Banned
I'm going to see this after work. I'm taking my Dad with me since he loves all the Marvel movies. He refused to see this one because of the "silly talking raccoon". I look forward to him digging the flick.

Gartooth

I agree with the assertion that Ronan was a terrible villain. From my own experience, the comics version was at the very least an interesting, multifaceted character. What we get here is just some tyrant who wants to destroy Xandar and everyone on it because he is an evil bastard.

To be truthful though, the focus of the story was clearly on developing and giving origin stories to the four main characters. Ronan's purpose was to be a giant threat that the team needed to unite against to defeat, while at the same time giving personal motivation and backstory to Drax and Gamora's characters. If I'm going to fault the movie for anything in that regard, I'm much more critical of the matter that I don't think Ronan served his purpose well enough rather than Ronan's own character being two dimensional crap.

Usually I hate villains who seem to do the whole "I'm evil. How evil am I? Watch me kill this guy/these innocent people without a thought. That's how evil I am." routine, but I wasn't bothered that much by Ronan, besides being a little flat and undeveloped compared to the original comics.

TEJ

Ronan felt like he was only there to help build the relationships between the guardians, and i'm okay with that because like I said the chemistry between the five is fantastic, something I haven't seen done as well in a loooong time.

Grakl

Villain sucked, but the set design was pretty great. Also, Rocket Raccoon. Best Mahvel movie.

Dalek

I don't think Ronan was a bad Villian per se. Just COULD have been better.

And the "looks like a show" myth is still refusing to die, eh? Let me watch that show!!

Sojgat

Just saw it. I pretty much agree with EviLore's take.

Really didn't like the movie's version of Drax, but that had nothing to do with Bautista. I thought he did a great job with what he was given to work with.

The movie just has none of the memorable hero moments of Avengers or the great action staging of Winter Soldier. Also, the Nova Corps were lame as fuck.
Powerless space cops are on the same level creatively as smoke monster Galactus from the awful FF movie

Guardians is still a really fun time, and I love that it even exists, but it could have been so much better.

farisr

I don't think Ronan was a bad Villian per se. Just COULD have been better.

And the "looks like a show" myth is still refusing to die, eh? Let me watch that show!!

I think Ronan wasn't compelling, really wanted more, especially with someone like Lee Pace talking the helm.

But yeah, "tv-level cinematography" stuff, especially for this movie, just isn't true imo.

Grakl

I didn't see that "low-budget TV-level cinematography" comment. Wow, haha. Not true at all.

Just saw it. I pretty much agree with EviLore's take.

Really didn't like the movie's version of Drax, but that had nothing to do with Bautista. I thought he did a great job with what he was given to work with.

The movie just has none of the memorable hero moments of Avengers or the great action staging of Winter Soldier. Also, the Nova Corps were lame as fuck.
Powerless space cops are on the same level creatively as smoke monster Galactus from the awful FF movie

Guardians is still a really fun time, and I love that it even exists, but it could have been so much better.

Do you mean action-wise? There are plenty of amazing character moments -- these guys aren't supposed to be heroes in the first place.

Yet, we're almost overloaded with action sequences against generic enemies or to relative stalemate between important characters that no harm will come to.
During the prison riot/escape and the multiple ship battles my eyes just glazed over and I lost interest. splosion backflip face punch dramtic dodge shootbang kill witty comment. No purpose or payoff. Gamora had 3 too many fucking karate fights

The banter, the main characters and group dynamic stuff is where the movie shined. Most of the action felt like filler

farisr

The movie just has none of the memorable hero moments of Avengers

I can state two, one being
Groot impaling all those Kree, smashing them over and over again, and turning with a big smile on his face. The reaction in the theater was similar to the reaction the Hulk Loki Smash got

the second moment, which imo, surpasses all avengers hero moments except for maybe the hulk loki smash, is
Peter Quill's distraction.

And due to that second moment, it results in one of the overall best ways
a generic Marvel villain (such a shame that he was generic, I would've been fine with 20 added minutes if they had fleshed him out more) has been defeated in these movies.

Sojgat

I didn't see that "low-budget TV-level cinematography" comment. Wow, haha. Not true at all.

Do you mean action-wise? There are plenty of amazing character moments -- these guys aren't supposed to be heroes in the first place.

There's just no "I'm always angry" type big payoff moments. I'm not really talking about the characters acting heroic as such. There are no peaks, everything is sort of at one level the whole time. It's a good level, but there's nothing to really cheer at.

Edit: Ok, Quill's
Ronan distraction was pretty damn great, but that was still more of a comedic moment

Trey

I'm never in those hype theaters people always speak of in these threads. Just had a couple goofs trying to start a slow clap at the end of the film.

Loved the movie, despite Ronan falling flat for the most part and some underdevelopment for Drax, Gamorra & Nebula. The chemistry with the main cast and the use of the licensed soundtrack were my favorite parts about the movie, though I did enjoy the fact that this did feel a lot like Star Wars as a whole.

My theater was packed with not just comic fans, but definitely everyone who enjoys the MCU.

fertygo

Godammit, Evilore's comment about the cinematography bum me out.. I thought having more known director will solve that at least for this one.

Top Bottom