• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Dalek

You are of course free to do so, but mind indulging me why?

I disagree with you too, I thought Drax was great in this-I truly feel he had a great character arc. His comedic timing was impecable. I loved his scenes where he realized he was responsbile for what happened on Knowhere, and at the end where he comforts Rocket in his grief-you could tell just by his performance, that Drax recognized Rocket's anquish, and reached out to him in a way that no one had done for him. Then they shared their "bro" nod in The Milano. All great stuff.

Plus he got the best scene. "No one talks to my friends like that!"

ezekial45

Banned
It's good that James Gunn finally has a hit on his hands. His previous movies all did poorly in theaters, and the Thursday night numbers for GOTG has already outgrossed everything he's done in the past.

Tacitus_

I disagree with you too, I thought Drax was great in this-I truly feel he had a great character arc. His comedic timing was impecable. I loved his scenes where he realized he was responsbile for what happened on Knowhere, and at the end where he comforts Rocket in his grief-you could tell just by his performance, that Drax recognized Rocket's anquish, and reached out to him in a way that no one had done for him. Then they shared their "bro" nod in The Milano. All great stuff.

Plus he got the best scene. "No one talks to my friends like that!"

Hey, I said his character was great in the film! Batista just can't act for shit and they used that to their advantage. Him being monotone (well duotone since he got mad occasionally) worked really great for the comedy with off the wall stuff flying at him from everywhere and him being all literal and unmoved.

Hey, I said his character was great in the film! Batista just can't act for shit and they used that to their advantage. Him being monotone (well duotone since he got mad occasionally) worked really great for the comedy with off the wall stuff flying at him from everywhere and him being all literal and unmoved.

Maintaining that monotone and getting the comedic timing right is not easy. I would not say he cannot act, not after this movie.

Honestly Drax was oustanding in this, and Bautista did an excellent job. It's hard to pick a favorite character they all were so good. My gf liked Bautista the best, and I can't really argue with her. They were all so good that it's really more a choice of preference than the fact that one actor did better than the other.

I will say this, Bautista had some of the best lines and moments in the film. He downright got huge laughs from the audience.

I never doubted this; he was the best part of Riddick and had a pretty minor role in that. Dude needs all the success he can get, he's great.

Toa TAK

Banned
Maintaining that monotone and getting the comedic timing right is not easy. I would not say he cannot act, not after this movie.
Fo real, ask Micheal Fassbender (Prometheus).

I thought the dude was great. Had tons of great lines and was receiving as much laughs as everyone else in the cast.
Zoe playing Gamorra is a ton better than Scar Jo playing Black Widow

I'm not sorry

Me neither. I thought she fit the 2008 run of the character, personally.

Tacitus_

I'd credit the comedic timing for the rest of the crew / director. He did a very similar character for Riddick (gruff, nonplussed merc) and I do not think he improved from that much.

But I think this arguing has run its course, neither of us will change our minds :p

I never doubted this; he was the best part of Riddick and had a pretty minor role in that. Dude needs all the success he can get, he's great.

Hah, exact opposite of my views.

Dahbomb

This movie was a great time at the theater!

Also I was not ready for some of the feels in the movie. I enjoyed all the cast members in their own way.

Top 3 MCU movie easily. I would still rate Captain America better for a tighter script, better action choreography and a better overall villain (the villain in this movie was Thor 2 level of ho-hum... no one cares about him because people want Thanos already!).

Mazre

Just got back from seeing it, pretty good turnout for a 10 AM showing. Thought the film was excellent and think it hits all the right notes. Good balance of action and comedy, the cast is good, and the characters have great chemistry. Would absolutely recommend.

Thor 2 has no excuse for the weak villain because it's no longer an origin story focused on the hero (and Thor 1 had a fine villain in the first place), it should be easy to have focus on the villain too. This film was juggling the origin story for a whole team, like Avengers 1 it gets a pass for a simple villain.

Well, the "excuse" for Malekith, such as it is, is that a lot of his scenes were left on the cutting room floor. Probably because Marvel wanted to lighten the tone and add more Loki.

farisr

For those on the fence about 3d, I didn't find it distracting, it was a decent post-conversion job. This is the first movie where I felt that the 3d didn't darken the movie up, looks like the movie brightness was calibrated properly to take into account the glasses darkening it. And although other movies try that, I always ended up feelings the tons of movies I've watched in 3d, in this same theater, on this same projector, were darker than intended to be. Not for this,

So yeah, anyone concerned about distracting 3d gimmicks, or darkened visuals, need not be worried.

Also, RT @ 92% with 153 reviews counted.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I think I'd have to disagree with that. He showed some real emotion in this movie, even for a "monotone" bad ass. And his delivery for his lines were damned impeccable. Maybe Gunn just directed the shit out of him to get him that way, but after this movie I'd have to say he at least has some degree of skill with acting. He really surprised me honestly.

3D or regular version?

I typically avoid 3D, but the theater near my apartment has about twice as many screenings of the 3D version.

I fucking hate how theaters do this, by the way.

farisr

3D or regular version?

I typically avoid 3D, but the theater near my apartment has about twice as many screenings of the 3D version.

I fucking hate how theaters do this, by the way.

At least you have the option. Over here, we're basically forced to sit through the 3d and pay the additional premium if we want to watch a movie. The theater that shows 2d, has stupid small screens, and not good audio.

Symphonic

There was only one scene in particular that looks pretty awful in 3D where you could tell it was obviously converted. Aside from that it was great and even added a lot in some cases (depth of the galaxy clouds in background shots, etc)

farisr

Eh, I thought he looked great. Never even thought about the CGI, and that doesn't usually happen to me, except for with really good stuff like Hulk and Davy Jones.

Honestly, I pretty much just accepted Rocket and Groot as being real characters after like 3 minutes on the screen. Stopped thinking "this is a CGI character"

Honestly, I pretty much just accepted Rocket and Groot as being real characters after like 3 minutes on the screen. Stopped thinking "this is a CGI character"

Same. Like anything you can tell they're CG if you really look for it but it's so good that you just accept them as characters pretty much instantly.

Updated: http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3882&p=.htm

Could Guardians of the Galaxy open to $100 million this weekend? Based on late Thursday earnings, this is actually within the realm of possibilities.

The 10th movie from Marvel Studios earned a stunning $11.2 million from Thursday night showings beginning at 7 p.m. That's the biggest Thursday night debut so far this year ahead of Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($10.2 million). It's also way ahead of June's Transformers: Age of Extinction ($8.75 million), which is the only movie to open over $100 million this year.

If Guardians of the Galaxy follows the same pattern as either of those movies—or of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla and X-Men: Days of Future Past—it will score the biggest opening weekend of the year.

Also - the fact that Transformers holds the biggest weekend of the year so far makes me so, so sad....

Mariolee

Having not seen the movie yet but only that big Marvel montage, I think what bothers me most about Thanos in this movie is that it literally looks like they copy and pasted Josh Brolin's face onto a CG body and it's really deep into the uncanny valley.

hydruxo

Probably gonna skip on 3D. I think the last 3D film I saw was Avatar, which was worth it of course. Seeing this at 8pm tonight, it's gonna be packed haha.

satori

I worked a midnight 12 hour shift last night. Was going to head home but said screw it I will catch imax, screw sleep. I'm literally the only person here currently. This is bad fucking ass lol. I need to make mad cash because I want this in my home lol.

Anyways can't wait. Taking my son tomorrow. Today it is daddy day :p

I haven't seen it yet but all these complaints about Ronan... so basically it's like all other Marvel films. I have to say that the villains in these movies, with the exception of Loki due to him being a threat across multiple films and Tom's performance, have been really poor and that's a major shame considering that you need heroes because of villains. They've always been established threats but not much more than that. They're always just, well this is why we're together or why we're fighting.

Winter Soldier was an incredibly dull villain apart from being in some good action scenes, Red Skull was a yawnfest as was the Thor 2 villain, Iron Man hasn't had any notably good villains (I did dig Iron Man 3's out of nowhere bait and switch though)... am I forgetting any villains that were actually very interesting or well fleshed out? I have high hopes for Ultron or Thanos but I'm sure it'll be more of the same.

edit: oh, X-Men has decent villain work due to the fifty shades of gray.

Top Bottom