• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Wilbur

Banned
I think Weaving was real good fun as Red Skull (and the character design is class), Grillo and Redford were good in Cap 2 (although that's not your typical MCU villain I guess) and Pearce's performance in Iron Man 3 is good as well. Outside of that, no villain (sans Loki) has been very good.

Need Ultron and Thanos to be real steps up, danger wise.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SEEING IT TONIGHT

HYPE

i78EcN4alzVlH.gif

Badosh

I went in with no expectations and came out blown away.

Easily my favorite marvel movie, but to be fair, I am not a fan of the majority of the others. I enjoyed Avengers and that's about it.

I thought it was near perfect. Absolutely hilarious.

I think Weaving was real good fun as Red Skull (and the character design is class), Grillo and Redford were good in Cap 2 (although that's not your typical MCU villain I guess) and Pearce's performance in Iron Man 3 is good as well. Outside of that, no villain (sans Loki) has been very good.

I don't require a mind-blowingly good villain from origin stories, I think Marvel's only real missteps have been in their Thor and Iron Man sequels.

Crazy if Guardians ends up being the only summer movie to crack a $100 million opening. Well deserved though.

I thought Transformers already did?

But I mean if GOTG comes anywhere close to Transfomers, holy fuck.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

what? Grillo and Redford are typical CA villains i dont see how they are out of place in the MCU...it was like i was in a issue of CA it was great.

Red Skull was ..meh imho why? Because it has to be PG-13 and the Red Skull is possibly the most EVIL villain in all of marvel save for Surtur and Dormammu. The guy is a evil asshole that Baron Zemo doesn't even like half the time. They let him be a tyrant mad man type of villain. But Skull is a hateful monster , maniac murderer type of guy ....that was not going to make it onto a PG 13 CA film.

If you count up your list:

Red Skull
Grillo/Redford/Hydra
Loki (are you counting his 2 films)
Killian

that leaves :
Thor 2 (space age dark elves...where the FUCK is my queen of norn btw??? fuck you)
IM2 (damn no love for Justin Hammers dance moves?),
IM (so hard to do 3 perfect acts in a film, stane fell flat in the end yes)
Incredible Hulk as the bad villains

das 5 - 4 ....Mahhh vel babybee.

Hype train has no breaks. lol jk

Since you did bring him up I definitely thing Crossbones was great in Winter Soldier as a mini-boss type of villain. Adequately tough and menacing I thought and Grillo was way cool in the role.

Great setup for his future appearance(s), him showing up in that final montage was a good "oh shit!" moment.

I like Trevor and the idea of him but that reveal/twist really killed the momentum of the movie, seems like Iron Man can't catch a break with his movie villains.

Malekith and Kurse were shit-tier.

People were saying Ronan is great villain apparently, so it's disappointing the movie didn't do much with him from reading these impressions.

The Ronan that people say is great isn't really a villain though. He's more of a wildcard/anti-hero, his arc in Annihilation is great and he's awesome in Infinity, in which he is most definitely NOT a villain. The Ronan in GOTG seems more inspired by his very early appearances in which the Kree themselves were not really fleshed out and just generic alien badguys. The development that makes Ronan a great character and not just a one-dimensional villain comes later.

Verendus

Banned
Marvel villains have been mostly crap or forgettable, but I think part of that is because the movies never really focus on the villains. It's mostly about the protagonists. It's a flaw in a way, but I think it also keeps them more lighthearted that way. It doesn't really feel like any of these heroes have memorable villains and they're mostly tied up with Spider-Man or X-Men.

People were saying Ronan is great villain apparently, so it's disappointing the movie didn't do much with him from reading these impressions.

I suspect Thanos is going to be the first great one. All this build up has to end up with something with a lot of focus.

Marvel villains have been mostly crap or forgettable, but I think part of that is because the movies never really focus on the villains. It's mostly about the protagonists. It's a flaw in a way, but I think it also keeps them more lighthearted that way. It doesn't really feel like any of these heroes have memorable villains and they're mostly tied up with Spider-Man or X-Men.

I suspect Thanos is going to be the first great one. All this build up has to end up with something with a lot of focus.

Loki has been a pretty entertaining villain. I haven't followed AoU and am not super familiar with Ultron but I can see him being interesting, too.

Loki has been a pretty entertaining villain. I haven't followed AoU and am not super familiar with Ultron but I can see him being interesting, too.

If they don't make Ultron a compelling villain than the movie will fall flat. But seeing as how they're confident enough to call the movie Age of Ultron in the first place, I don't think they'll fail there.

It's basically the first movie in the MCU to put that much emphasis on the villain, aside from maybe Thor 1.

Verendus

Banned
Another reason Thanos has to be great. It's Josh Brolin.

Edit:

Yep, that's what I thought. Robot Man. He has a chance of being something good. Since the foundation is out of the way, Avengers 2 can try to do something with a little more depth.

Another reason Thanos has to be great. It's Josh Brolin.

Edit:

Yep, that's what I thought. Robot Man. He has a chance of being something good. Since the foundation is out of the way, Avengers 2 can try to do something with a little more depth.

Yup, I still love The Avengers but that movie really is 80% about the team meeting up, arguing, and fighting, and only 20% actually being Avengers.

Cannot wait to see what Whedon does in the sequel.

I need a description of that footage asap.

Can't find the original link but I saved the text:

We start on a city scape and the whole team is assembled in Avengers tower. They’re all hanging out. Drinking beer, joking, and Hawkeye tells Thor the whole no-one-can-grab-the hammer thing is “a circus side show.” He disagrees and Stark tries to pick it up. “If I lift it do I get to rule Asgard?” he asks. Yes, Thor says. He fails on a first attempt. “I’ll be right back.” He puts on the Iron Man glove. No dice. He and Rhodie try, both in their Iron Man gloves. Nope. Hawkeye fails. Banner tries and really exerts himself. Everyone gives him a look. Next up is Cap and he budges it which really gets Thor worried. However, having all failed Thor says he has a simple theory “You’re all not worthy.” Just then a huge screeching sound. “You’re all not worthy.” Enter a brutally broken, almost zombie like metal being. It’s Ultron. “How could you be worthy? You are all killers. You want to protect the world but you don’t want it to change. There’s only one path to peace… your extinction.” Just then a bunch of other robots fly in and we get the Marvel Studios logo.

Ultron continues in voice over with a bunch of other images. “I had a vision … the whole world screaming for mercy.” People running away, escaping. “Everyone tangled in strings.” Banner all sickly looking on a place. “Strinnnngs.” Massive battle scenes, Hawkeye and others helping people evacuate. Banner in the snow, then a random hospital, Scarlet Witch on a bus, Thor smashing a tank. Then Tony Stark “It’s the end,” he says. “The end of the path I started us on.” Widow adds, “Nothing lasts forever.” We then see a screaming Hulk and the massive Hulk Buster armor. Black Widow on the Harley Davidson, Quicksilver running around, Andy Serkis as a human (!?!), more explosions, Iron Man flying by what looks like a prison and shooting some soldiers. Hulk throws a car at the Hulkbuster and then punches him through it. A quick shot of Widow and Hulk almost touching hands.

The whole time, a song has been playing about strings. It’s very eerie and morbid. Finally, we get a fully realized, metallic, 8 foot Ultron. Referencing his statement “There are no strings on me” as his clenching fist turns into the circle around the “A” of “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” The title card.

Then, after that, we see Cap’s shild broken, Tony Stark looking down at it, the camera pulls back and we literally see every member of the team laying on the ground in tatters on what may or not be Thanos’ tomb. They look dead.

Verendus

Banned
Yup, I still love The Avengers but that movie really is 80% about the team meeting up, arguing, and fighting, and only 20% actually being Avengers.

Cannot wait to see what Whedon does in the sequel.
I think it kind of had to be shallow. You have four superheroes and Whedon treated it as a stand alone movie in terms of structure. There is only so much you can do when you have to establish that many characters, build some sort of conflict between them (stupid as it was), and then bring them together for what people ultimately wanted to see.

Avengers 2 has none of the baggage though. You can just hit the ground running. I'm expecting a much better movie to be honest. I feel Avengers was good entertainment, but the bar isn't high. I think the sequels will easily be better.

I think it kind of had to be shallow. You have four superheroes and Whedon treated it as a stand alone movie in terms of structure. There is only so much you can do when you have to establish that many characters, build some sort of conflict between them (stupid as it was), and then bring them together for what people ultimately wanted to see.

Avengers 2 has none of the baggage though. You can just hit the ground running. I'm expecting a much better movie to be honest. I feel Avengers was good entertainment, but the bar isn't high. I think the sequels will easily be better.

Avengers also takes an L for having the worst Cap suit in all of the movies. he looks super dumb in most of that movie.

Avengers also takes an L for having the worst Cap suit in all of the movies. he looks super dumb in most of that movie.

Coulson paid a fair price for that sin.

The Cap suit wasn't bad. It was really just the helmet.

It needed a chin strap. They learned for Cap 2 and Age of Ultron.

Yeah the chin is one of those things that works fine in comics and poorly in live action. They've brought the chin strap back in the comics design and I'm not a huge fan.

Quick

Banned
The Cap suit wasn't bad. It was really just the helmet.

It needed a chin strap. They learned for Cap 2 and Age of Ultron.

I liked Jeff Bridges from Iron Man 1
Tim Roth was cool too
Mickey Rourke was bad I admit but motherfucking Sam Rockwell

it-s-justin-hammer-time-o.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just got back from this, really enjoyed it, but of all the things to stick with me: it's funny that the Guardians represent - by the end of the movie - the first fully functional team in the MCU.

The Avengers are still on a "need to form" basis, for emergencies only. But here we have our first hero family unit, everyone on the same page, and they want to be there.

Also, all the trailers and footage still can't prepare you for how colorful and rich the movie is visually. I think in recent years, the elaborate CG-enhanced worlds in most films like this have begun to blur together. But this one stands out and I think it finally, firmly establishes a universe bigger than Earth.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Obadiah Stane was a great villain. I hope they do Zeke in the future.

EDIT: I imagine the fight sequence at the end of Iron Man make people think he was a bad villain, but he was pretty well executed otherwise. IMO that's one of the only weak points of that film.

Wilbur

Banned
I really liked Grillo; hope he comes back for Cap 3 (also, Roth and Blake Nelson are out there somewhere as well lol)

And thank fuck they didn't change Spader's voice. It's astonishing. Far creepier than any robotic voice.

Top Bottom