• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

tci

Saw it a few hours ago. Fantastic movie. Great chemistry within the group. The whole audience were laughing a lot. I hope this takes off bigtime

Neoxon

Hot damn are you serious? I cannot believe they sold it. I thought the public would shut down. Marvel stays winning! This shit will open doors for more outrageous stuff in the comic films if its successful. Ill eat the crow happily, but its still early...
It already outperformed Winter Soldier on Thursday late night box office numbers, & its Friday numbers are looking to be ridiculous.

I don't get the Ronan hate. I was expecting him to be just awful going by some early rumblings. I liked him, he was a straight up menacing "don't give a fuck" villain. Generic? Sure. Granted, in this kind of film, not really a bad thing. Had a Vader EP4 vibe to him. I guess if you prefer his character arc from the comics, I can see the disappointment though.

Edit: Saw it again today. We probably see it on Sunday too. Gunn taking my money

I feel like the villian archtype being generic is what helped make Ronan stand out though. We've seen this done before BUT it was done exptionally well where as these kind of roles are usually fumbled. Generic Concept, Exceptional Execution.

Carlius

Banned
rocket was overrated...starlord and groot ftw. gamora is just hot. zoe is just so hot as an alien, i rather have her as an alien than a human being. is that racist?

Mariolee

I'm going to make a prediction about the post credit sequence and then not look at this thread until I get back.

Based on the vague reactions I've gotten from friends who have seen the movie..

The post credit sequence...is Howard the Duck? That's the craziest thing I can think of.

WILL SEE YOU GUYS IN 6 HOURS.

Xamdou

rocket was overrated...starlord and groot ftw. gamora is just hot. zoe is just so hot as an alien, i rather have her as an alien than a human being. is that racist?

She was blue in Avatar, green here... being an alien is her true calling.

AMC Theatergoers last night got a free GotG pin if you are a rewards member.

landingpage_heroimage.jpg

I got Gamora, but a girl in the theater got a Rocket and we traded, so now I have a nifty Rocket pin.

The funny part was that this balding bearded guy with a hugely disproportionate ponytail was standing up for about 30 minutes asking if anyone wanted to trade him the Guardians Official Emblem pin for his normal Drax pin. Yeah, like anyone was going to fall for that.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm going to make a prediction about the post credit sequence and then not look at this thread until I get back.

Based on the vague reactions I've gotten from friends who have seen the movie..

The post credit sequence...is Howard the Duck? That's the craziest thing I can think of.

WILL SEE YOU GUYS IN 6 HOURS.

DONT READ THIS *SPOILER*

Yessssss

Ceebs

Just got back from a sold out 4:30 show. Was fantastic. Entire theater was laughing from start to finish.

The biggest laughs were from the very end
with the dancing potted Groot. If that is not a holiday toy, someone fucked up.

Nether!

Great movie, the performances really sold it for me.
The whole thing was so overstuffed it's amazing that it worked so well.
Looking forward to number 2.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Absolutelt LOVED it. Drex(?) Was my favourite.
Nothing goes over my head, my reflexes are too fast.

Spinluck

After having time to think. This is up there with Cap 2. IM3 is now in 3rd.

My top 3 Cap 2> GoTG> IM3

X-Men is still my favorite of the year though.

Retrocide

Per RTH early Friday estimate is 39-43. Possible 100+ OW

...Absolutely amazing...by far the biggest risk Marvel has taken and they hit a homerun. A movie with a talking raccoon and tree...in August no less. And people were sure that this would be summers biggest bomb.

Got tickets, downing a shitload of beer at a nice Mexican joint before the screening. Figured that'd be a good way to go about this. People I am hyped. Peace.

Just saw it. Awesome, awesome movie. Easily my favorite movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It scratched an itch that I had no idea I had. I need more funky space opera comedies set to 80's music now.

Simply amazing from start to finish. Went an hour early but my theater was essentially 30% full. Draxx was hilarious. Rocket and Starlord stole the show. WIll see again, definitely.

I seriously cannot wait to see more of these guys
IN AVENGERS 3!!!

TEJ

Simply amazing from start to finish. Went an hour early but my theater was essentially 30% full. Draxx was hilarious. Rocket and Starlord stole the show. WIll see again, definitely.

I seriously cannot wait to see more of these guys
IN AVENGERS 3!!!

youll get to see them in guardians of the galaxy 2 :)

That was fantastic I did not expect Drax to make me laugh like that. All the characters were portrayed well and the interaction between them was incredibly entertaining.

Sami+

As someone who isn't really fond of Marvel's movies, I can definitely say I enjoyed it about as much as the Avengers. Pretty good fun.

Frog-fu

Banned
Who else saw the film in 3D? Best 3D film experience I've had the joy of experiencing, though I tend to stick to plain old 2D most of the time. Gunn sold me on it because he was personally involved, and man did it pay off.

Hot damn are you serious? I cannot believe they sold it. I thought the public would shut down. Marvel stays winning! This shit will open doors for more outrageous stuff in the comic films if its successful. Ill eat the crow happily, but its still early...

There were people of ALL ages all my showing. Like grandparents were getting into it. It's just a really neat unapologetic film.

Anyone in the Detroit area want to see it again? All my friends are watch-a-movie-only-once types.

Yes, if you promise not to mug me in the parking lot. I'd consider it.

Rooster12

Do all these successful Marvel movies make people get into the comics more?? Or are the comics still an afterthought and something to be dismissed for most people?

None of the people I hang around with seem to know anything about the comics, I'll tell them certain random things like how there's a member in the original GOTG who uses Captain America's shield as a weapon and they are all shocked or something.

Slizz

Who else saw the film in 3D? Best 3D film experience I've had the joy of experiencing, though I tend to stick to plain old 2D most of the time. Gunn sold me on it because he was personally involved, and man did it pay off.

I've only seen 4 movies in 3D, this Summer actually revived me going to theaters for movies.

Anyways I saw GOTG, Godzilla, Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow.

GOTG was the best IMO followed by Pac Rim and Godzilla.

AMC Theatergoers last night got a free GotG pin if you are a rewards member.

landingpage_heroimage.jpg

I got Gamora, but a girl in the theater got a Rocket and we traded, so now I have a nifty Rocket pin.

The funny part was that this balding bearded guy with a hugely disproportionate ponytail was standing up for about 30 minutes asking if anyone wanted to trade him the Guardians Official Emblem pin for his normal Drax pin. Yeah, like anyone was going to fall for that.

I went long distance to my closest amc theater for Imax and it turned out we didn't need to be a rewards member. The staff was super friendly and encouraged us to approach them if we wanted to trade. Got the poster too.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more

I saw it in 3D and was pleasantly surprised. Normally the 3D is Marvel Studios is imperceptible, but it was excellently done in Guardians.

lmbotiva

to those who saw it already, no spoilers please

better than captain america 2?

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you

Top Bottom