• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Just saw this movie, it was great. Even better than I though it was going to be.

My theater kind of broke down though, it had a lot of issues with the movie, lost of sound, freezing etc..

Treo360

Just got back. Imax. Great movie. Much better than anything else out there in the mcu thus far. Loved that it was so light hearted and funny, barely taking itself serious at times. I know nothing of the comics btw.

Seth C

to those who saw it already, no spoilers please

better than captain america 2?

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you

It's a very different movie than Captain America 2. That was an interesting take on a super hero spy thriller, and was done very well. GotG is a space adventure on par with Captain 2.

I think it was better than Avengers, which I loved at the time but I never really needed to watch again. GotG has way more heart. It's more focused, and all the characters/actors play well off of each other.

Thor 2 is unquestionably worse than GotG, and I love Thor.

Dash27

Just got back. Imax. Great movie. Much better than anything else out there in the mcu thus far. Loved that it was so light hearted and funny, barely taking itself serious at times. I know nothing of the comics btw.

I think this was a big part of why I liked it so much. You pretty much know what you're getting with a Superman, Spiderman... even Thor, Cap or Iron Man. This I had zero idea of any of them beyond Draxx is a strong guy and vague notion of who Gamora was.

Beyond that though it was just fun and a good story.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just came back.

Imax 3D.

Absolutely hilarious. Good 3D, great action, great comedy. Loved it 100%.

Cade

Holy crap. Great movie, hilarious, great action, incredible scenery, true to comics where it counts, heartfelt, great characters. Insanely good. In Gunn we trust.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I'm going to go ahead and say that Jason Momoa wouldn't have been nearly as good a Drax as Dave Bautista was. Drax wouldn't have been half as charming if anyone else was playing him.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I cannot decide which I'd put on top: Cap 2 or GOTG.

I just can't.

Also, the imagery, scenery and set pieces were insane.

Neoxon

I cannot decide which I'd put on top: Cap 2 or GOTG.

I just can't.

Also, the imagery, scenery and set pieces were insane.
0bd0dda3_30621480.jpeg

N.Domixis

Banned
All the aliens looking like different colored people was so fucking stupid. Reminds me of Star Trek. Did. They all originate from earth? Are they advance humans?

the aide in the collectors room was fucking hot.

All the aliens looking like different colored people was so fucking stupid. Reminds me of Star Trek. Did. They all originate from earth? Are they advance humans?

the aide in the collectors room was fucking hot.
The Celestials created humanoid life across the galaxy in various experiments testing evolution. They did not "originate from earth" nor are they "advanced humans," but they do have a shared genesis — the Celestials.

Humanoid species developed in different parts of the universe merely end up looking different (and often having different characteristics) due to differing cultures, environments, and Celestial experimentation. Much the same way bird species developed in different biomes end up looking quite distinct, despite still sharing common characteristics that label them birds.

N.Domixis

Banned
The Celestials created humanoid life across the galaxy in various experiments testing evolution. They did not "originate from earth" nor are they "advanced humans," but they do have a shared genesis — the Celestials.

Humanoid species developed in different parts of the universe merely end up looking different (and often having different characteristics) due to differing cultures, environments, and Celestial experimentation. Much the same way bird species developed in different biomes end up looking quite distinct, despite still sharing common characteristics that label them birds.
Oh now it makes sense, then it's ok since now there is an explanation why it happened. Not the film makers just being cheap. Must have missed the part where they said that.

Zaphod

My friend knew nothing about it and loved the movie. I'm not a huge fan of cosmic marvel, although I did like the Infinity Gauntlet. The tie ins with that and the fact that the movie was awesome really hooked me. So much fun, and a good comic book movie while not trying to look like a comic book.

Red

to those who saw it already, no spoilers please

better than captain america 2?

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you
I haven't seen anything post-Avengers, but I thought Guardians was far better than all other Marvel films I've seen and is easily one of the best comic adaptations ever made. It exceeded my sky-high expectations. James Gunn has made a damn good movie.

Moaradin

Just got back. Amazing movie and the whole crowd had a lot of fun. Dave Batista showed up and sat right in front of me. Didnt expect that.

1upmuffin

Follow this:

Then stop. This picture is where your Guardians train begins and ends. Avoid the current run at all costs.

I'm a bit confused about the chart, in the Annihilation: Conquest column it says to get Guardians of the Galaxy volume 1 but in the reading order it only says read volume 2. Is there something I'm not seeing or misunderstanding?

Red

lol I can't get that one minor part out of my head with him.

It went over your head, Drax
Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it...
I laughed for a good three minutes following that line, and woke up from a nap later on cracking up after having thought of it again in a dream. I don't know why I found it so funny. The timing was perfect.

This is the first super hero movie since TDK I've wanted to immediately go back and see again. So good.

I'm a bit confused about the chart, in the Annihilation: Conquest column it says to get Guardians of the Galaxy volume 1 but in the reading order it only says read volume 2. Is there something I'm not seeing or misunderstanding?
It's a typo. The bottom for Conquest should say volume 1. Notice how in War of Kings the GotG entry is labeled as volume 2.

Edit: Actually I was wrong there. The top one is the typo. It should say Volume 2. It's all Volume 2 for this run.

Blader

oh yeah, my crowd LOVED this movie. I think the audience reaction was as strong, if not stronger, than the Avengers.

Rotanibor

I haven't watched any Marvel films for years. So my question is does this movie reference any of the recent marvel films at all? I really don't expect it to but I want to double check if there is anything I should catch up on first.

I haven't watched any Marvel films for years. So my question is does this movie reference any of the recent marvel films at all? I really don't expect it to but I want to double check if there is anything I should catch up on first.

Nope, not really. The only thing connecting it to the other films is the main big bad, who had a few minutes of screen time in this movie.

Spoilers for name since you haven't watched recent films:
Thanos

Top Bottom