• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Neoxon

to those who saw it already, no spoilers please

better than captain america 2?

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you
- That depends on who you ask. Me, it's either on-par or better, I'll watch it again to pass final judgement on that

- This also differs based on who you ask. As for me, yes.

- Nope, GotG is much better

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you

Its my favorite marvel cinematic universe movie. Of course, its very different than all the other ones though. So its kind of hard to compare.

lmbotiva

- That depends on who you ask. Me, it's either on-par or better, I'll watch it again to pass final judgement on that

- This also differs based on who you ask. As for me, yes.

- Nope, GotG is much better

Its my favorite marvel cinematic universe movie. Of course, its very different than all the other ones though. So its kind of hard to compare.

In my opinion:

On the same level as Captain America 2.

Better than The Avengers.

Better than Thor 2.

thanks, will watch tomorrow, gonna bring the wife to the movies, she thinks we are gonna watch sex tape lol

Saw it. Loved it. Still coming off the high but I'll say it's up there with Avengers and captain america 2 at the least. Maybe even better than both.

Seth C

I just finished watching. Perfectly balanced and my favorite of all the Marvel films. Also really great in 3D, and I normally don't like 3D.

Frog-fu

Banned

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you

Yes.

I've seen The Avengers so many times already that I'm inclined to say, but at the time of release and first watch, I don't know. The Avengers was really hype for me. It did take like 45 minutes to get going though, while Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome from the very first scene.

lol, no. And I actually liked Thor 2, but this Guardians blows pretty much every Marvel film out of the water (Iron Man 1-3, Thor 1-2, Cap 1, Hulk) with perhaps the exception of The Avengers and The Winter Soldier (I think it's better than TWS, but that was really good too).

You're welcome.

jett

D-Member
Watched it. As someone that thinks most Mahvel movies are kind of eh, this wasn't all that different. It was good fun, but not particularly interesting or notable. There's really just not much to say about these movies. Maybe these things are more children-oriented than I think.

Winter Soldier is the only film that comes close to Guardians level and that's immensely helped by virtue of being a sequel. I would say Guardians is Iron Man 1 tier easy.

Neoxon

So is it safe to say that GotG, Winter Soldier, Avengers 1, & Iron Man 1 make up the Fantastic Four of the MCU?

Cover of this months Backstory issue.

e5uAlde.jpg

RELIGHT

Banned
I thought Ronan was fine as a villain. Not every villain needs to be memorable. The story was moreso about the characters and their emotional journey anyway. Plus you can't blame Ronan for not being Thanos.

Thanos looked awesome btw.

better than avengers?

worse than Thor 2?

thank you

It is one of the best Marvel movies. It's hard to compare to Captain America 2, since they are very different movies. I'd say it is on par with Captain America 2, and if you prefer sci-fi with comedy over espionage/action, then GotG comes out on top. Superior compared to Thor 2 and way better pacing than Avengers.

Just saw it. It's fine.

The film isn't nearly as unique or as subversive as I would have hoped. It's a typical Marvel movie with an extra dash of quirkiness.

Action setpieces in superhero movies just bore me to tears these days. Even when they're technically well done, I just tune out during them.

I think VanDerWerff gets it right.

TEJ

Just saw it. It's fine.

The film isn't nearly as unique or as subversive as I would have hoped. It's a typical Marvel movie with an extra dash of quirkiness.

Action setpieces in superhero movies just bore more to tears these days. Even when they're technically well done, I just tune out during them.

it's not the action scenes as to why I love the film, far from it, like it's been mentioned the 5 have a ton of chemistry together.

it's not the action scenes as to why I love the film, far from it, like it's been mentioned the 5 have a ton of chemistry together.

I agree, which is why I wish there were more of it.

Too much time is wasted on a lousy villain. Lee Pace is great, but Ronan was a total snore.

jett

D-Member
Just saw it. It's fine.

Action setpieces in superhero movies just bore more to tears these days. Even when they're technically well done, I just tune out during them.

That's the case for most mahvel movies regarding set-pieces. By the numbers and forgettable.

Avengers was better than this IMO. But I rank this second.

Yup.

I think the hype and the fact that it's just been released may be inflating it, as happens with all films. My rankings:

Avengers > Guardians of the Galaxy > Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Iron Man > Thor > Thor: The Dark World > Iron Man 3 > Captain America: The First Avenger > Iron Man 2 > The Incredible Hulk

TEJ

I agree, which is why I wish there were more of it.

Too much time is wasted on a lousy villain. Lee Pace is great, but Ronan was a total snore.

I'm kinda glad the villain spent most of the time out of the spotlight, He was definitely the weakest link in the film.

Dash27

That was fantastic I did not expect Drax to make me laugh like that. All the characters were portrayed well and the interaction between them was incredibly entertaining.

lol I can't get that one minor part out of my head with him.

It went over your head, Drax
Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are too fast. I would catch it...

Halcyon

So good. For me Iron Man 1 Gotg and Avengers are the best marvel movies.

Movie was so good. That's all I can say.

How was the original score?
What is its style?
Are score or songs used for highlight scenes?

It's a movie defined by it's soundtrack choices more than the score, which is kind of an afterthought. All the best emotional/character beats are tied to specific songs from the 70s/80s that Star-Lord has on his one cassette (similar to an Edgar Wright or Quentin Tarantino film).

Apparently today is the 28th anniversary of
Howard the Duck
. So..... that post credits scene probably influenced the release date.

Top Bottom