• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

L7emYxR.jpg

Well then I guess

oH2n439.gif

dankir

So good, so goddamn good.

Marvel are fucking geniuses!!! Bring on the sequel!!!!! Antman, Age of Ultron, Everything!?@!?@?!@

*passes out*

hydruxo

Just saw it, and for me it was waaaay more enjoyable than the Avengers. Best Marvel movie IMO. I just loved everything about it - the humor, visuals, action, music. It hit all the right notes. Rocket was definitely the star of the movie, but I was surprised by how hilarious Drax was at times. Overall just an awesome fucking movie. Can't wait for the sequel.

mreddie

One thing that pissed me off was that before Guardians, there was a lot of shitty trailers. The only one that was interesting was Mockingjay 1.

Even if it doesnt make 100 million - what's the box office opening weekend record for a brand new film franchise (non-sequel and non-reboot)? Guessing it's a novel based film like hunger games/HP

danielcw

Even if it doesnt make 100 million - what's the box office opening weekend record for a brand new film franchise (non-sequel and non-reboot)?

But this is not really the case here, it is a Marvel (MCU) movie, and using the advertising power of those movies that came before.

But this is not really the case here, it is a Marvel (MCU) movie, and using the advertising power of those movies that came before.

I guess, but still curious. Chances are whatever holds the record had a huge following from the book or TV show or whatever it was adapter from as well.

aerts1js

Whoa, just got back. Movie was freakin amazing. My favorite Marvel movie to date and the crowd was super into it. Everyone applauded at the end.

edit: To me it was better than even the Avengers and Cap 2.

Burt

My theater just got a ton of PG Disney movie trailers. Felt like I was watching HTTYD2 again lol.
Yeah I must've seen the Disney logo 16 times before the movie. So pissed there was no Interstellar. Downside to an early afternoon show, I guess.

Speaking of the front end of the movie, I actually did hate the super drawn out Marvel branding to start the movie, followed immediately by "Marvel Studios presents". I'm usually totally fine with that stuff, but it felt hammered in so much more here than I'm used to. The Marvel branding crusade is ridiculous.

Yeah I must've seen the Disney logo 16 times before the movie. So pissed there was no Interstellar. Downside to an early afternoon show, I guess.

Speaking of the front end of the movie, I actually did hate the super drawn out Marvel branding to start the movie, followed immediately by "Marvel Studios presents". I'm usually totally fine with that stuff, but it felt hammered in so much more here than I'm used to. The Marvel branding crusade is ridiculous.

You're crazy man. That logo and music is there to draw up your hype meter before unleashing greatness upon you

One thing that pissed me off was that before Guardians, there was a lot of shitty trailers. The only one that was interesting was Mockingjay 1.

Yeah, we had a ton of fucking garbage. First time I've seen the Dumb and Dumber To trailer. All the reused jokes pretty well killed all desire I might have had to see that.

I was glad we didn't get the Interstellar trailer, though. I don't want to see any more of it. The trailers for Dark Knight Rises practically gave us the entire movie beat by beat. I want to go into Interstellar blind.

Burt

You're crazy man. That logo and music is there to draw up your hype meter before unleashing greatness upon you
Yeah true, and
what horrors would've been unleashed on my theater if here was no Stan Lee cameo to make everyone doubly sure that we knew what kind of movie we were watching?

I need more reminders!

Well this is easily the best Marvel movie yet. It's Probaly one of the best movies I've seen in years. My wife even commented how amazing she thought it was.

I mean.. Bravo Marvel holy shit.

I really enjoyed this movie so much more then avengers. I feel like avengers is laking a spirit but this movie just hits all the feels.

Oh my fuck that was great. I also concur that it's probably the best Marvel movie. Loved mostly everything about it. If I had to nitpick I could, but it'd be brief and frankly I don't give enough of a shit to do so.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I saw it at 10 AM, then went back at 4 PM. Holy crap, I really enjoyed this movie.

I thought the 3D was well done.

fenners

Lol that certainly explains it.

Mine showed:

Interstellar
Mockingjay
Big Hero 6
Maze Runner
Some Xbox one shooting game that looked like Jet Grind Radio Future

The joys of the Alamo Drafthouse Austin. None of them.

The Congress.
Mood Indigo.

Neoxon

We live in a world where Guardians of the Galaxy is on track to make more than Transformers 4.

If this is a dream, I never want to wake up.

Yeah true, and
what horrors would've been unleashed on my theater if here was no Stan Lee cameo to make everyone doubly sure that we knew what kind of movie we were watching?

I need more reminders!
To be fair, I thought Guardians of the Galaxy had one of the better uses of Stan Lee of the Marvel films.

In most films his cameos feel too showy. As if the role was written exclusively for him and the entire part and scene wouldn't exist if it weren't for an incessant need to say "HEY HUH GUYS HUH REMEMBER HUH?" It felt especially out of place in Winter Soldier. In that film they focus the camera on Stan Lee for his character to say "I am so fired," a comedic line that feels out of place in such a serious film. It's a line and character you can bet wouldn't exist if the writers didn't feel the need to place Stan Lee in the movie. As a result, it feels forced and awkward when he appears on screen, taking you out of what is otherwise one of the most grounded and personal Marvel films.

In Guardians,
he appears in a montage of various marks Rocket and Groot are commenting on.
He's given no more importance than any other character in that short sequence. It feels like a part was written and then Stan Lee was later slotted into it. As if it would have existed with or without his cameo. In most Marvel movies it feels like the scene is written for the cameo. In Guardians, it felt like the cameo was written for the scene.

As a result, I thought it was rather natural and didn't take me out of the film. It didn't focus on him any more than anyone else, and it didn't feel as "nudge nudge get it get it" as every other Marvel movie.

McBryBry

I just got home from seeing it. And it was really good! But I dunno.....I can't help but feel just a tiny bit disappointed. And I don't even know why! Maybe I got TOO hyped lol.

Bigfoot

Just got back from seeing this. It was good but not great. It is probably my least favorite comic movie this year (and yes I have seen ASM2). I felt the action was very formuliac Marvel but just in space. It was the comedy that made this movie fun.

Vire

Anyone have a good starting point for the comics? I'd appreciate any recommendations.

I don't really want to go hog wild with it, just give me the best of the best.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
IMAX 3d is definitely worth it. It's just more icing on a fantastic movie. The lines after my showing was crazy long, it extended way out into streets. I guess people were waiting for word of mouth and reviews before jumping in.

Top Bottom