• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

TEJ

We live in a world where Guardians of the Galaxy is on track to make more than Transformers 4.

If this is a dream, I never want to wake up.

really? I know i mentioned this many times before but I definitely had a feeling this movie would be a big hit and was sincere with my revenue predictions.

Anyone have a good starting point for the comics? I'd appreciate any recommendations.

I don't really want to go hog wild with it, just give me the best of the best.
This is basically a more detailed breakdown of what the OP is recommending:
Follow this:

DqYBfSp.jpg

Then stop. This picture is where your Guardians train begins and ends. Avoid the current run at all costs.

Good movie, but still below Avengers and Winter Soldier by a fair margin,imo.

Main complaints is that Ronan sucks as a villain, and Gamora felt really weak as a character. Similarly with Drax,but that was more an action thing, his character scenes were good.

And the action cinematography was weak. After Winter Soldier, Guardians looked low budget.

Everything else was excellent though, I'd rate it 3rd or 4th on par or slightly lower than Iron Man 1.

danielcw

I guess, but still curious. Chances are whatever holds the record had a huge following from the book or TV show or whatever it was adapter from as well.

Not sure who has the highest opening weekend,
but as a whole, Avatar (James Cameron, not The Last Airbender) is the highest grossing movie, so I guess it has a good chance at being the highest grossing U.S. opening for a new franchise.

I didn't think the action cinematography was weak. To me it had more color and flavor to the shots and sequencing. Winter Soldier was more of a gritty down to earth action movie.

Also after seeing the movie I can at least understand how people thought Ronan was bland, but he's not the first bland villain in these movies and I doubt he'll be the last. And like those, the bland villain hardly made a dent on the overall movie. If I were to judge Winter Soldier as a villain I wouldn't give him remotely high marks.

Even if it doesnt make 100 million - what's the box office opening weekend record for a brand new film franchise (non-sequel and non-reboot)? Guessing it's a novel based film like hunger games/HP

Hunger Games. That thing was a fucking monster. I think before that it was Spider-Man 1 all the way back in 2002.

I might be wrong though.

EDIT: Also, even IF GotG makes over $100m this weekend to set the record for the year, Hunger Games: Mockingjay is going to curb stomp it on opening weekend.

Vire

Ronan just felt like a reject Power Rangers villain. That's really my only complaint with the movie.

Lemaitre

Banned
Ronan just felt like a reject Power Rangers villain. That's really my only complaint with the movie.

Nothing new for a Marvel movie, though. At least Ronan went out like the complete joke that he was in the movie. I actually enjoyed the fact that he was so inept at his job, and I'm sure that Thanos understand that better than anyone.

hydruxo

Nothing new for a Marvel movie, though. At least Ronan went out like the complete joke that he was in the movie. I actually enjoyed the fact that he was so inept at his job, and I'm sure that Thanos understand that better than anyone.

Yeah
Thanos just laughed him off. He knew Ronan would fuck up.

ReiGun

Just got back. Overall, I enjoyed it. I thought it tried a little too hard with some of the emotional moments and the comedy, especially in the first act, but when it was on, it really was on. A decent flick, though.

Some thoughts:

-Ronan is yet another disappointing Marvel movie villain, joining such luminaries as Whiplash, Meliketh, and Guy Pierce in "Why aren't you as cool as Loki and the Red Skull" tier. Nebula was also pretty bad.

-Loved the visual look and especially loved the music. I want Peter's mixtape.

-Drax and Gamora sucked. Thankfully, Rocket, Peter, and Groot more than made up for them.

-I want more of the Nova Corps.

-
Pelvic Sorcery

Sojgat

After seeing it twice, my rankings are:

Avengers > Iron Man > Winter Soldier > GotG >>>>> the rest

I didn't think the action cinematography was weak. To me it had more color and flavor to the shots and sequencing. Winter Soldier was more of a gritty down to earth action movie.

Also after seeing the movie I can at least understand how people thought Ronan was bland, but he's not the first bland villain in these movies and I doubt he'll be the last. And like those, the bland villain hardly made a dent on the overall movie. If I were to judge Winter Soldier as a villain I wouldn't give him remotely high marks.

It's not the cinematography, it's the choreography and editing. It's just a bunch of blasting, punching, and jumping around. There's nothing flashy about any of it, and the movie constantly cuts between all the different confrontations without giving a clear sense of place or what's actually happening. A lot of the time I wasn't invested in the action at all, it just becomes like background noise. The best action sequence in the whole movie is
Quill escaping with the gem, right at the start. The layout of the environment is clearly established, there are a number of slow motion shots, which look cool and make the action easy to follow, and the sequence is entirely focused on one subject: Quill.

hydruxo

I thought Nebula was going to be really badass just judging by the trailers but in the movie she was pretty lame. I don't know what it was exactly, but her demeanor made her come off like too much of a minion rather than a real villain.
Maybe she'll be better in GOTG 2.

Blader

Okay, review time.

+Rocket is far and away the best part of the movie. The best written, best acted, most fully realized character. Bradley Cooper KILLS it.
+Groot and Drax are a lot of fun too, and Pratt is a cool, charismatic lead.
+CGI is great and art design especially looks fantastic
+Really funny at times, particularly Rocket
+Soundtrack
+Did not see that post-credits scene coming :lol

-Villains are terrible. I don't just mean they're written in the "intentionally generic to give an excuse for heroes to team up" sense, but that they also didn't look good, sound good, and were basically totally uninteresting. I'm a little concerned about building up Thanos as the endgame villain now because I was not impressed with how he appeared here.
-Gamora is a really underwritten and inconsistent character. She's presented as the deadly badass assassin, but acts the complete opposite way, and just moves to the story's whims. She's also nerfed as hell. Drax was too to an extent, but Gamora came off as really powerless here. Pretty disappointing, especially since I really like Zoe Saldana.
-Humor feels forced sometimes.
-Plot progression feels forced a lot of the time. Tons of on-the-nose exposition dialogue that just sounds bad.
-Cinematography is definitely TV-ish bland; I think EviLore said that there's a very jarring and noticeable difference between the CGI establishing shots and how the actual sets are shot, and I totally agree. Also, too much sped up motion on the fight choreography, it was way too obvious that hits weren't actually connecting.

In spite of the list of negatives, I liked it a lot. It's a fun, funny, mostly earnest superhero space adventure story, and it opens up the Marvel universe in some cool new ways. I had some issues with the script, mostly in regards to the villains, and I'm a little wary of the overall plan with Thanos now, but it was an overall cool movie.

...I think Winter Soldier still blows this one away though.

MechDX

FInally saw it after the electrical fiasco at the theater on Thursday.

Pretty damn good and funny.

Rocket is an asshole.
In a good way. Leave peoples eyes and legs alone!

GhaleonEB

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the entire ensemble; I went in thinking Drax and Gramora would take a back seat, after how prominent Rocket/Groot were in the trailers. It was really well balanced. Drax's humor and the alternation in Groot's behaviors were so great.

Hallway smash --> oh hai guys grin brought the house down. Drax's thesaurus line demolished me for like, 30 seconds after.

Rocket was the heart and soul of the movie. Just wonderful character work all around.

So nice, I saw it twice.

I loved how Peter's mixtape figured into the whole soundtrack of the film, and all of the casting worked so well in my opinion. Bradley Cooper and the animators behind Rocket really brought it, second character in a row that really got to me that was also a CG Creation (Koba from Dawn of the Apes being the first).

Two questions:

1. Towards the end, when Nebula
landed on the Milano, didn't she fling Rocket out of the ship and fly away with it? How did Rocket then get right back onto it to fly it into Ronan for the big heroic crash?
2. Do you guys think they'll skip over Guardians of the Galaxy for next year's Act 2 marathon event before the midnight show of Age of Ultron? I'd rather they didn't but it will still definitely stick out as an anomaly when there's Iron Man 3, Thor Dark World and Winter Soldier preceding next year's big film.

Quick

Banned
Two questions:

1. Towards the end, when Nebula
landed on the Milano, didn't she fling Rocket out of the ship and fly away with it? How did Rocket then get right back onto it to fly it into Ronan for the big heroic crash?
2. Do you guys think they'll skip over Guardians of the Galaxy for next year's Act 2 marathon event before the midnight show of Age of Ultron? I'd rather they didn't but it will still definitely stick out as an anomaly when there's Iron Man 3, Thor Dark World and Winter Soldier preceding next year's big film.

That wasn't the Milano, and it wasn't Rocket.

That wasn't the Milano, and it wasn't Rocket.
Wow really? PHEW, both times I saw the film I thought it was him. I blame the film showing Rocket prominently as a lot of the other Ravagers got taken down by suicide bombers.

I bought the deluxe soundtrack CD set today before the evening show. Can't wait to put this on my phone. I want an Awesome Mix cassette tape-looking case for my phone now!

dabig2

so is the imax any good? is it necessary?

I saw it in Imax 3D and it was pretty damn good. Some brilliant shots in this movie.

How good is it compared to Iron Man 1?

Personally that is the best Marvel superhero movie.

It demolishes the shit out of IM1. Then again, I never really got into IM1 as much as other people did (it used to be a distant 3rd to Avengers, Cap 2 prior to GotG), so my opinion is a little biased.

Would my wife enjoy this, even though she has zero interest based on the trailers and has no knowledge of this world? She's barely into sci-fi, but enjoyed popcorn "appeal to all audiences" flicks like Star Trek '09 and The Fifth Element.

Hell, I'm barely interested myself, but I think I'll go based on the solid reviews and good word-of-mouth.

GhaleonEB

Would my wife enjoy this, even though she has zero interest based on the trailers and has no knowledge of this world? She's barely into sci-fi, but enjoyed popcorn "appeal to all audiences" flicks like Star Trek '09 and The Fifth Element.

Hell, I'm barely interested myself, but I think I'll go based on the solid reviews and good word-of-mouth.

My wife is very similar. After the show tonight I asked her what she thought. She said going in, she expected to not like it, but ended up enjoying it a lot. The humor and heart won her over.

My wife is very similar. After the show tonight I asked her what she thought. She said going in, she expected to not like it, but ended up enjoying it a lot. The humor and heart won her over.

This is good news, because I don't feel like going alone, but also don't want to drag her to it. I'm practically dragging myself at this point. It's so fucking hot here in Taipei, the humidity hits me in the face so fast, sweat forms on my brow in mere seconds. There is nothing else to do but sit in an air conditioned movie theatre, and there really are very few options.

Guardians of the Galaxy gets my ticket money by default. Low expectations should do wonders for our viewing. Fingers crossed.

fallagin

Just saw this. Pretty good.
The beginning setup was super weird. The end fight sequence was excellent. Am interested in what the sequel will do.

As for characters, Drax stole the show for most hilarious and fun character. The fact that he the go to comic relief character rather than rocket is pretty great.

Gowans

Mine isn't, went it with no knowledge at all and loved every second.

So I went to see it again tonight.

Still loved it. Awesome movie confirmed.

"Boo hoo, my wife and daughter were murdered" + Groot reaction

I do agree that they really need to improve the action for the sequel. Hopefully we see an improvement similar to what we saw from The First Avenger to the Winter Soldier.

ReiGun

How is Thor 2's rating so high? Did everyone else get a cut of the film that wasn't total trash and I was just the unlucky sucker that got some intern's cut or something?

How is Thor 2's rating so high? Did everyone else get a cut of the film that wasn't total trash and I was just the unlucky sucker that got some intern's cut or something?

I actually really liked Thor 2, even more so than Thor 1.

Then again, I like Cars 2 over Cars 1, so I don't know if my opinion matters. lol.

Top Bottom