• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Mariolee

I completely agree

I think what sealed it for me is the scene where
Quill just starts randomly dancing to Jackson 5 in order to distract Ronan. Like, you're not going to get that in any other big live action overbudgeted movie.

It's insane what they let Gunn get away with with that much money lol

TEJ

I think what sealed it for me is the scene where
Quill just starts randomly dancing to Jackson 5 in order to distract Ronan. Like, you're not going to get that in any other big live action overbudgeted movie.

It's insane what they let Gunn get away with with that much money lol

This, but also

I think the three main scenes where you see rocket as more than just a foul mouthed trigger happy forest creature really did it for me,

Neoxon

What Marvel Studios is doing right now.

tumblr_lox02eaI2C1r0wgiuo1_400.gif

TEJ

So now the floodgates have opened. I can't wait to see how ridiculous Marvel will get now that they know they have a license to print money.

she hulk / phoenix wright crossover movie

PW being a part of the MCU canon would make me go crazy

Myzer

Just got back from the preview screen. Fantastic movie. Easily my favourite Marvel movie, and one of the most fun movies I've seen in a while.

How is Thor 2's rating so high? Did everyone else get a cut of the film that wasn't total trash and I was just the unlucky sucker that got some intern's cut or something?

Not just you. Outside of Hiddleston as Loki, film is a forgettable piece of shit.

Dat MCU hyperbole worked it's magic for Thor 2.

Lazyslob

Banned
i watched this tonight. i thought it was awesome and probably the best marvel movie. my friend who was with me said he like hercules with the rock better. i dont want to believe him

That was pretty great. Visuals-wise it was amazing. None of the five really stole the show for me, but maybe that's the point. Really liked the strong finish.

Man, that totally shattered any expectations that anyone could've possibly have had.

That was by far Marvel's best movie yet. Holy shit that was good.

Imax all the way.

duckroll

How is Thor 2's rating so high? Did everyone else get a cut of the film that wasn't total trash and I was just the unlucky sucker that got some intern's cut or something?

It's not high at all. 65% of all reviews being positive generally indicates something decisively mediocre which some people tend to like more than others. Those who like it a bit more will positive reviews, those who don't will be negative ones. The Top Critics slice of the tomatometer is rotten though - at 44%. The thing about Thor 2 is that even though it's pretty poorly made and is really weak as a film, it still has that coat of super safe Marvel (TM) protective layer which panders heavily into making the audience feel a bit better about the film than they should.

Mr. Sam

It still surprises me when I see the vitriol surrounding Thor 2 - I honestly can't recall seeing anything like it at the time of release. It's genuinely surprising to me that its Rotten Tomatoes rating is as low as 65%. I don't hold a strong opinion either way - although I probably feel somewhat favourably about it - but it seemed inoffensive enough, and included enough fanservice, not to provoke as much of a backlash as it seems to have.

On Guardians of the Galaxy, which I saw on Thursday and am only just now commenting on: yes, it is indeed terrific.

Empire Magazine made a complaint about the third act being, just like all Marvel films, bombastic and world ending and expolosioney and aaaahhhh. Thing is, this is Guardians of the Galaxy. Captain America, a movie about a guy with a shield? Complain about him having to stop the nuclear apocalypse (with a nuclear apocalypse). Guardians of the Galaxy? No, it just makes sense.

Marvel alienated me with what happened with Edgar Wright, but this movie brought me back on board. As much as I love Dave Bautista, I had my doubts about how well he'd do across from, you know, professional actors, but he was arguably the best thing about the movie.

Thor 2 isn't offensively bad just stunningly mediocre. Zero risks and zero ambition. I'm pretty sure most of it was literally written for/by tumblr.

Damn, this was a good one; a really good one.
I knew it was gonna be special when "Come and Get Your Love" started playing and Quill started gettin' down in that cave lol (Chris Pratt is too cute during that scene)
I love the old school soundtrack in this movie, and I was very fond of how it was actually a deep part of Peter's character; it was also nicely juxtaposed with the space opera themes and setting.
Also, Groot and Rocket were awesome; those two characters were full of life. I love how their quirky personalities interacted with each other when ever they were screen, and I also appreciate how good they looked (From both an animation and artistic perspective)

Also after seeing the movie I can at least understand how people thought Ronan was bland, but he's not the first bland villain in these movies and I doubt he'll be the last. And like those, the bland villain hardly made a dent on the overall movie. If I were to judge Winter Soldier as a villain I wouldn't give him remotely high marks.

I disagree on the Winter Soldier thing.

WS, at its core, had 3 representative villains.

WS itself, was done excellently as the 'enforcer' villain. His screentime were laser-focused on delivering the action, yet every scene he's in only served to reinforce different facets on why he felt like a legitimate threat that was believable. He was strong, he exhibited strong tactical ability, he was very powerful yet felt like he was someone that could also be defeated by Black Widow in a different scenario. And that was before his revelation that put him as an extra emotional core that added to the character development of Steve.

Alexander Pierce was just a ho-hum villain that represented Hydra, and he wasn't a great villain because his role in the humanisation of the villain plot was not grounded, but the underlying 3rd villain, Zola and the Hydra/SHIELD parasitic existence was great. The reveal came out of nowhere, yet it was a plot development that legitimately threw a wrench and brought in the dilemma and question of what SHIELD was doing, established a strong internal threat and in an instant, legitimised a villain that was a vague presence by establishing its historical role by having being the force involved in the deaths of other lore characters. And it served as a link to Capt's story as well from the first movie, and even from the Avengers side-plot of the Terresact.

Sure, WS alone couldn't had carried the film as a villain. But him, Pierce and 'Hydra' all made up for each other's flaws and delivered a credible villain presence throughout the film, as well as leaving significant story repercussions even in the aftermath of the movie, as all strong villains should.

TEJ

I disagree on the Winter Soldier thing.

WS, at its core, had 3 representative villains.

WS itself, was done excellently as the 'enforcer' villain. His screentime were laser-focused on delivering the action, yet every scene he's in only served to reinforce different facets on why he felt like a legitimate threat that was believable. He was strong, he exhibited strong tactical ability, he was very powerful yet felt like he was someone that could also be defeated by Black Widow in a different scenario. And that was before his revelation that put him as an extra emotional core that added to the character development of Steve.

Alexander Pierce was just a ho-hum villain that represented Hydra, and he wasn't a great villain because his role in the humanisation of the villain plot was not grounded, but the underlying 3rd villain, Zola and the Hydra/SHIELD parasitic existence was great. The reveal came out of nowhere, yet it was a plot development that legitimately threw a wrench and brought in the dilemma and question of what SHIELD was doing, established a strong internal threat and in an instant, legitimised a villain that was a vague presence by establishing its historical role by having being the force involved in the deaths of other lore characters. And it served as a link to Capt's story as well from the first movie, and even from the Avengers side-plot of the Terresact.

Sure, WS alone couldn't had carried the film as a villain. But him, Pierce and 'Hydra' all made up for each other's flaws and delivered a credible villain presence throughout the film, as well as leaving significant story repercussions even in the aftermath of the movie, as all strong villains should.

Cap 2 also had batroc the leaper, unless you're talking about just the main villains.

Still, dat batroc fight scene. i still get chills seeing the cap'n use that one kick on him

You know which one i'm talking about,

Can't choose between Cap2 and GOTG tbh, they were both amazing and offered different experiences that I found equally enjoyable.

GOTG more so in hilarity and Cap2 in "Project Insight", Marvel's cream of the crop.

Avengers is at a close second but I believe Age of Ultron will blow everything out of the water.

duckroll

Ronan's problem isn't that he doesn't carry the movie. His problem is that he just sucks. His entire role in the movie is to pretend to be imposing, and he turns out to be a scrub. In the end, the entire conflict is a joke and he is in the punchline. None of his fights were exciting. He doesn't do anything interesting storywise. He best moment in the movie is him looking like an idiot. It's a real waste of an actor like Lee Pace. It definitely reminds me of how Christopher Eccleston was wasted in Thor 2, but it's not as bad.

Cap 2 also had batroc the leaper, unless you're talking about just the main villains.

You know which one i'm talking about,

Yeah, just talking the main villains.

Anyway, you know a film's villains are lame if their equivalent of an enforcer villain (Nebula) was comparable to another film's 'slightly above a grunt named-villain' like Batroc and Crossbone.

TEJ

Yeah, just talking the main villains.

Anyway, you know a film's villains are lame if their equivalent of an enforcer villain (Nebula) was comparable to another film's 'slightly above a grunt named-villain' like Batroc and Crossbone.

cap 2 excelled at action

while I think that guardians was funnier, had better music and I liked the characters more. and I love chris evans as captain america,

OH YEAH

duckroll

I think so far each Phase 2 movie has excelled in something.

Iron Man 3 = Script
Captain America 2 = Action
Guardians of the Galaxy = Humor
Thor 2 = Mediocrity

kurahador

James Gunn said the first cut was originally about 30 minutes longer. I hope Disney will have the balls to release the first MCU extended cut for this movie.

Top Bottom