• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

hour and half away from seeing it finally

224n76X.gif

dabig2

Friday estimate for Guardians is $37.8M

Slightly higher than Cap 2

That's a good chunk of change. I wonder how Saturday and Sunday will do. WOM is going to be major, probably moreso than even Cap2's huge positive buzz after the 1st day I think

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My biggest problem with Thor 2 is that... nothing really happened. It had this new random villain with a plot that contributed hardly anything to the universe, no worthwhile action, lacked character arcs, the new guy and Kat Dennings were fucking awful, the climax was all over the place intercutting between Portal and those two idiots making out, the pacing and storytelling was super uneven as well, the main story and subplots lacked an interesting spark, and the Loki baiting and switching was downright insulting and barely even made any sense. This movie made that character come across as a fucking moron that didn't even really know what he wanted.

I'm just the opposite. I loved the action in Thor 2 and thought it was very entertaining, I thought Kat was funny, and I even loved the final fight and how it portaled between worlds. Honestly Thor 2 is one of my favorite Marvel movies, I thought it struck a great balance between humor, action, and seriousness.

But then I love the hell out of Cap 1 and most people think it was less than average, so my tastes are clearly not with the majority.

Actually I just don't have a lot of complaints about any of the Marvel movies not named Hulk. Sure some of them have a few bad parts but overall I can enjoy every one of them with a smile on my face. I guess I just don't see much to complain about, I'm just glad we are getting such quality comic book movies. I wish Spiderman and The Fantastic Four were back in Marvel's hands so we could get Marvel movies of them too. X-men seems to be in good hands where it's at IMHO.

Daria

Going to see this today after work and by George, I'll go alone if I have to.

Here's the dilemma though: Theatre here has new screens, some 50' wide or some shit. They're playing GOTG in 2D in there, but 3D in just a regular auditorium. Does the 3D make or break the movie at all?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Going to see this today after work and by George, I'll go alone if I have to.

Here's the dilemma though: Theatre here has new screens, some 50' wide or some shit. They're playing GOTG in 2D in there, but 3D in just a regular auditorium. Does the 3D make or break the movie at all?

No

I'm just the opposite. I loved the action in Thor 2 and thought it was very entertaining, I thought Kat was funny, and I even loved the final fight and how it portaled between worlds. Honestly Thor 2 is one of my favorite Marvel movies, I thought it struck a great balance between humor, action, and seriousness.

Hey totally fair. It failed to get any hooks in me and Kat just grates on my nerves. It's not really her fault; I have no qualms with her as an actress but when I'm watching a Thor movie, especially during a climactic battle, the brand of humor they gave to her character is pretty much the last thing I want to be seeing.

rouken

Just saw it. Definitely the best of all marvel movies. Maybe because it really expands the MCU in a big way. Great film from start to finish, it had the balance of laughs, character development and action scenes. I also recommend seeing it on IMAX.

D23

Movie looked great on Imax 3d. Saw this Thursday nighth and I still can't stop thinking about it. Can't wait to see it again

witness

Loooooooooved it holy shit. Just extremely entertaining and funny throughout. My wife was highly skeptical at first but really enjoyed it. I thought the 3D in IMAX was spectacular also, highly recommend it.

My rankings: Avengers> GotG=IM1=TWS>Thor>the rest of the MCU

Clegg

I enjoyed it more than the Avergers tbh. Best superhero movie I've seen since Batman Begins. Perfect mix between action and comedy.

Philippo

Hungary-GAF help me!
I'm going at Sziget from 11/8 to 19/8, and since in Italy the movie comes out only in October, i was thinking if maybe i could sneak in a theatre and watch it.
Does anybody know a theatre close to where the festival is (Obuda Island)?
Is the movie voiced in hungarian (then it's a no) or just subbed? How much movies do usually costs?
Thanks, you're saving me from months of wait!

Chris Pratt. He was awesome in The O.C. He's arguably the best part of Parks and Rec, the funniest show on TV. A strong part of the appeal of The Lego Movie. I just saw Zero Dark Thirty and he was fantastic in that. Perfect for the role, really.

I think in the next decade he has a shot to become the biggest and most bankable Hollywood actor there is. Seriously. Action star? Check. Comedy? Check. Romantic comedies? Sure, why not? Potential superstar.

Chris Pratt. He was awesome in The O.C. He's arguably the best part of Parks and Rec, the funniest show on TV. A strong part of the appeal of The Lego Movie. I just saw Zero Dark Thirty and he was fantastic in that. Perfect for the role, really.

I think in the next decade he has a shot to become the biggest and most bankable Hollywood actor there is. Seriously. Action star? Check. Comedy? Check. Romantic comedies? Sure, why not? Potential superstar.

Wow, never watched the OC but had no idea he was in it. Agree with everything you said though.

I also think John Boyega might be another big up and comer, depending on how SW Ep 7 turns out, and especially if those Black Panther rumours end up amounting to anything.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wow, never watched the OC but had no idea he was in it. Agree with everything you said though.

I also think John Boyega might be another big up and comer, depending on how SW Ep 7 turns out, and especially if those Black Panther rumours end up amounting to anything.

Season 1 of The OC is an absolute classic, but Pratt is only in S4.

Black Panther movie wil happen. It has to, it can't be for nothing...

Mifune

Mehmber
Really fun movie. It's got such good pacing - there's always something fun or funny or interesting going on. The characters are strongly drawn. It's very funny and almost equally weird. The action scenes are light and don't overstay their welcome. And it's got just enough heart to make you care. Kind of a brilliant flick when you think about it.

Went with ten coworkers and everyone dug it. It's gonna be huge.

ckohler

Just saw it. Great movie! Loved it. I'll see it again, perhaps tomorrow.
Lots of laughing in the theatre. Applause too.

Pratt on The OC was basically a hilariously idiotic but likable rich kid turned hippie protest type. Just the last season when they were in college. Agreed that The OC started great and then got worse over time though.

jett

D-Member
Pratt on The OC was basically a hilariously idiotic but likable rich kid turned hippie protest type. Just the last season when they were in college. Agreed that The OC started great and then got worse over time though.

Hah, I had no idea he was in The OC. I knew him from Everwood. :p It's amazing where he's at right now.

reddmyst

Just got back from watching it. I did set my expectations a bit too high, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

Some of the dialogue felt rushed and I felt that it should've needed that extra 30 minutes to flesh it all out.

All in all, I loved it for what it was and it was a nice and refreshing change.

The Winter Soldier still claims my favorite movie out of the MCU films, but GoTG comes in really, really close.

Pavaloo

What a fucking awesome movie.

The script, direction, the acting, the score. All around just fantastic. THE FUCKING COLOURS!

Loved it loved it loved it. Might have to go see it again sooner than expected.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Hah, I had no idea he was in The OC. I knew him from Everwood. :p It's amazing where he's at right now.

I remember watching Everwood years ago, and now I smile a little knowing Emily Van Camp and Chris Pratt are key players in two comic-book franchises. Same with watching Batista from Deacon Batista on, and Rooker in Mallrats... I criticise Marvel a lot, but those four as vital roles in superhero films?

That's undeniably awesome.

As is the film. By far the best time I've had at a Marvel film and, for me, flat-out the film The Avengers should have been. Funny, smart, heartwarming, great acting, a good villain (love Loki, but his army sucked in Avengers and pulled the threat down), and a really good final stretch. I think everything from Rocket's intro to the prison is possibly the best Marvel set-piece to date in terms of mixing character, action and humour.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just got out of this about an hour ago, my favourite film of the year. What a fun ride, loved every second of it. Characters were great, action was fantastic, and it didn't feel like a single second was wasted. Couldn't even tell it was in the Marvel universe aside from Thanos, which is a compliment really. I'll probably go see it a second time in theaters which I never do. Give me a Rocket solo movie ASAP.

reddmyst

Sorry for the dumb question, but is this worth seeing in 3D?

If you're gonna go for 3D, go with IMAX 3D.

I saw the 17min preview a while back and saw the regular 2D version. BIG difference.

I didn't enjoy it as much as the 3D and I normally don't really care much for 3D.

I will probably see it in IMAX 3D the 2nd time I see it.

sappyday

Sorry for the dumb question, but is this worth seeing in 3D?

Does 3D generally bother you? If so, then don't watch it in 3D because the 3D doesn't add anything to the movie. I'll probably go watch it again this week in 2D to get my full enjoyment out of it.

btw i kinda loved how they did the opening credits. not too many of these movies will give the stars and stuff at the beginning. then BLAM hit you with the title of the movie!

Top Bottom