• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Just going to chime in with my 2 cents.

I didn't really like it.

The core group was amusing and every moment with them was great, although I'm not particularly fond of awkward and cheesy humor. On the other hand, the fight scenes were all poorly shot, especially the ones in the
knowhere
area. Characters drowned in the background and the brawling wasn't convincing. My main gripe was with the cinematography. I don't like how comic book films often use deliberate or otherwise tacky shots
(the mom insert at the end)
, and they were too liberal with the scene changes. The one shot that did resonate with me though was
when Groot released the glowing flowers to illuminate the ship
, which I thought was very well framed and scored. I appreciate how it turned some comic book tropes on their heads, but it didn't impress me as an action or sci-fi movie.

Perhaps comic book fans can appreciate the characters and universe behind it, but as a casual watcher of Marvel films with no expectations, it failed to grab me.

I felt the same way about X-DOFP. They stuff these movies with too many characters but don't give me much reason to care about any of them beyond "we have to stop really bad things from happening".

Really? The Groot scene you mentioned was actually probably the only one that I thought was kinda weird. I thought it was awkward that they zoomed out from the top showing the rest looking in awe... :/

Instro

Saw it earlier tonight. Really enjoyed the movie, lots of funny and exciting moments. Killer cast, they had amazing chemistry as a team and each one had some brilliant comedic moments. I was shocked at how well Batista did, of all people. Rocket & Star Lord were excellent, and the timing with Groot was perfect. The quality dialogue writing obviously helped in this regard, but still really well done on their parts to nail it down. I do have a couple issues though:

-Could have been better visually. Artistically the movie was beautiful, with some pretty incredible backdrops as part of initial framing shots. The actual effects were largely ok, but I noticed some not so nice looking stuff throughout. Some of the sets seemed oddly sparse or perhaps less interesting then they should have been. The thing that really killed me was the pretty poor editing during actions scenes, was not impressed with that at all for the most part. Lots of bad cuts making action far more confusing than necessary and less enjoyable than they should have been.

-Not particularly impressed with what they did with
Ronan, I was expecting a more interesting fight with him at the end, especially after he mopped the floor with Drax.

-I wish the team was a bit more powerful, they all seem really weak atm compared to the rest of the MCU.

Overall it's not quite as great as it could have been, but it still falls near the top of the MCU heap. TWS is definitely better, and I'd probably put Avengers ahead as well due to the superior action, but otherwise I'd say I enjoyed it more than the rest. Can't wait to see these folks in future Marvel stuff and/or sequels.

-I wish the team was a bit more powerful, they all seem really weak atm compared to the rest of the MCU.

*ENDING SPOILERS*
I hope Rocket ends up using the Infinite Stone to make some crazy ass weapon to make them the strongest in the universe. :D

EDIT: Oh yea...lol drunk post

Malvingt2

I watched this movie last night. A very good movie and hilarious. I want more, the after credit scene
confused me. No idea who that is
. My second favorite movie from Marvel.

ramyeon

I watched this movie last night. A very good movie and hilarious. I want more, the after credit scene
confused me. No idea who that is
. My second favorite movie from Marvel.
It was
Cosmo and Howard the Duck. Meant to be more of a nod to fans rather than any kind of link to future movies, I imagine.
I for one was clapping my hands at the scene.

ramyeon

The spoilers in this thread are amazing. There's a spoiler thread for a reason.
All of the spoilers are clearly marked as such. If you click to highlight them that's on you. I don't know what sort of purpose you want a movie OT to serve post release if you don't want discussion of the movie itself?

9th UPDATE, Sunday 7:06 AM: With three sets of gross estimates numbers in so far, it’s very clear that Universal Pictures’ Get On Up will sit at right around $14M for the weekend. Guardians of the Galaxy is around the $94M mark having dropped about 17% to 18% on Saturday to take in about $31M+, so if it falls the traditional 20% today, it will end the weekend just north of $94M. We are still awaiting Disney’s numbers and will post when we have them. It takes the crown this weekend for the best August opener of all time surpassing the seven-year record held by Bourne Ultimatum ($69.2M).

Gotta give kudos to the group behind this picture, including writer/director James Gunn and his co-writer Nicole Perlman which kept the dialogue fresh and amusing, the Marvel team who gave fans another original movie and Disney’s distribution team — choosing a good launch date for this newly-born franchise. It debuted as the summer is winding down, lifting spirits and the summer box office just a bit. With an A CinemaScore, this one is expected to have a great multiple. Looking forward, there is nothing really out there to stop it from having a great second weekend: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is next and then Expendables 3, which has been illegally downloaded something like 1M times already and that’s gotta hurt its opening weekend.

http://m.deadline.com/2014/08/box-o...xpected-to-rock-et-the-down-low-on-get-on-up/

All of the spoilers are clearly marked as such.

I don't know what sort of purpose you want a movie OT to serve post release if you don't want discussion of the movie itself?

No they're not. There's plenty of discussion going on without tags.

OT should be discussion leading up to release and opinions post release. Actual discussion of the movie itself should be in the spoiler thread, without the need for tags. Did you honestly require that explaination?

I've already seen it, thank god.

mj1108

Saw this on Friday night with my wife and stepson. Absolutely loved it. By far the best Marvel movie so far. It's nice and refreshing to see a superhero movie not take itself so seriously.

anaron

It's pretty stunning that Bradley Cooper delivered that performance without even stepping foot onto the set. Dude is a damn talented voice actor.

Really curious on how much Vin Diesel got paid to say I am Groot in the mic a few times.

I think there is an interview where they did it over 1,000 times. I don't think it was as easy as coming into a studio for 30 minutes :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEkJExXyvM#t=12

Even though Vin Diesel’s character Groot only says three words during Guardians of the Galaxy, Vin Diesel didn’t only record the three words one time. In an interview on the red carpet of the Guardians of the Galaxy world premiere, Vin Diesel revealed that he said “I am Groot” over a thousand times in doing his voice work for the role.

“I was really lucky, because I had a director, who is willing to indulge and wanted to really capture all the nuances of this character. What we know about Groot is that he’s got a wooden larynx so although he’s saying other things, other than “I am Groot,” all the novice ears or someone oblivious to his nuances of his speech can hear is “I am Groot.” It sounds like he’s just repeating his name. Because of that, when I came into the recording room, there was a fifty page document that on the left hand side it said “I am Groot,” and on the right hand side, it would have a paragraph or a sentence explaining what he was really meaning or what he was really trying to say. And so when you have that level of detail, when you have a director that committed, when you have studio so hellbent on creating such a great CGI character, I feel like I’m coming into a team…a winning team already. And all I have to do is spend a week there in the ADR booth breathing life into it,” said Vin Diesel.

ElRenoRaven

I think there is an interview where they did it over 1,000 times. I don't think it was as easy as coming into a studio for 30 minutes :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjEkJExXyvM#t=12

That's actually really cool. I thought Vin did a great job as Groot. It's weird how 3 little words managed to really convey what he was saying. Course it helped that right after the others would answer him but still you could actually start to figure out what he was saying as time went on in the movie.

Just got back from seeing it.

Meh. Very disappointed. It's not bad, it's just so mediocre. The story is 1 ply toilet paper thin. This is the plot: a bunch of misfits protect magic artifact from evil villain who wants to use it to destroy a planet... because he is evil. There might have been a reason, but it was glanced over so quickly that if you blink, you'll miss it. It's 2 hours of explosions linked with some awkward comedy and 1 dimensional characters. Oh and the raccoon. Yeah, Rocket Raccoon was the highlight of the movie. Rolled my eyes with most of the character developments.

It's not like I even hate the movie, it's just so mediocre that there's not much to talk about. With a bad movie like Transformers, there's a ton of things to talk about. I honestly can't remember if they ever gave a reason why Ronin wants to destroy this planet.

Just got back from seeing it.

Meh. Very disappointed. It's not bad, it's just so mediocre. The story is 1 ply toilet paper thin. This is the plot: a bunch of misfits protect magic artifact from evil villain who wants to use it to destroy a planet... because he is evil. There might have been a reason, but it was glanced over so quickly that if you blink, you'll miss it. It's 2 hours of explosions linked with some awkward comedy and 1 dimensional characters. Oh and the raccoon. Yeah, Rocket Raccoon was the highlight of the movie. Rolled my eyes with most of the character developments.

It's not like I even hate the movie, it's just so mediocre that there's not much to talk about. With a bad movie like Transformers, there's a ton of things to talk about. I honestly can't remember if they ever gave a reason why Ronin wants to destroy this planet.

Ronan wanted to destroy the planet because he's a religious fanatic and was mad that the Xandarians worshipped different gods and also that the Kree had signed a treaty with them.

Ronan wanted to destroy the planet because he's a religious fanatic and was mad that the Xandarians worshipped different gods and also that the Kree had signed a treaty with them.

I got the treaty part, but no idea about the rest. Or hell, why the fuck would he need Thanos in the first place if he's trying to get this super artifact that could destroy planets?

I got the treaty part, but no idea about the rest. Or hell, why the fuck would he need Thanos in the first place if he's trying to get this super artifact that could destroy planets?

He didn't know how powerful it was at first. He originally thought it was some random thing, maybe a weapon, that Thanos wanted. The deal was supposed to be that he gave the thing to Thanos and Thanos would then blow up the planet.

When Ronan found out how friggin powerful it was, he decided he didn't need Thanos and could do it himself. Which also suited his needs because he wasn't a fan of working with Thanos in the first place, due to aforementioned religious fanaticism.

He didn't know how powerful it was at first. He originally thought it was some random thing, maybe a weapon, that Thanos wanted. The deal was supposed to be that he gave the thing to Thanos and Thanos would then blow up the planet.

When Ronan found out how friggin powerful it was, he decided he didn't need Thanos and could do it himself. Which also suited his needs because he wasn't a fan of working with Thanos in the first place, due to aforementioned religious fanaticism.

The movie moved way too fast for its own good. I mean, I don't want another Transformers, but it wouldn't hurt to actually let the story elements sink in. I really don't remember much about this movie other than the Raccoon, the awkwardness, and the explosions.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08...f-guardians-of-the-galaxy-courtesy-of-marvel/

Bill Mantlo, Co-Creator Of Rocket Raccoon (severely debilitated by a traffic accident decades ago), Gets A Private Viewing Of Guardians Of The Galaxy, Courtesy Of Marvel

:)

10565103_10152700999719623_1709884567130751232_n.jpg

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
What exactly made
Ronan think that Thanos was capable of destroying Xandar when he couldn't even conquer Lower Manhattan.

If Thanos was the one invading Manhattan, it would have gotten glassed. This movie confirmed that Thanos is one of the strongest beings in the MCU. Ronan didn't want any parts with him, until after he got the stone.

Pop

If Thanos was the one invading Manhattan, it would have gotten glassed. This movie confirmed that Thanos is one of the strongest beings in the MCU. Ronan didn't want any parts with him, until after he got the stone.

Yea really but
doesn't matter if he had the stone or not. Thanos beats him easily.

Top Bottom