• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

The movie moved way too fast for its own good. I mean, I don't want another Transformers, but it wouldn't hurt to actually let the story elements sink in. I really don't remember much about this movie other than the Raccoon, the awkwardness, and the explosions.

So wait, because you missed something so obvious that I just asked my 8 year old daughter about and, without leading her to the answer she was able to tell me why, it's the movies fault for moving too fast and not yours for missing something that was made very obvious?

sqwarlock

I want to make sure I'm not insane RE: one of the 3D effects.

When
Groot "drains" Drax of the yellow liquid, I swear I saw some of the liquid expand into the black border of the screen.
It made the 3D in that scene amazing, but since it was in the corner of the screen I question that it happened.

So wait, because you missed something so obvious that I just asked my 8 year old daughter about and, without leading her to the answer she was able to tell me why, it's the movies fault for moving too fast and not yours for missing something that was made very obvious?

I think it's more like the fine print in a contract, or a camouflaged animal. It's there, it's just overshadowed by everything else.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just saw the movie. Was great. First showing today and there were 20-30 people and everyone seemed to really dig the movie. Lots of laughs.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I want to make sure I'm not insane RE: one of the 3D effects.

When
Groot "drains" Drax of the yellow liquid, I swear I saw some of the liquid expand into the black border of the screen.
It made the 3D in that scene amazing, but since it was in the corner of the screen I question that it happened.
It definitely happened.

Mr. Sam

Is the 3D actually worthwhile in this then? I saw it in 2D because it's post-converted and I normally avoid that like the plague.

besada

Banned
Saw it, loved it, was saddened they nerfed Drax and Gamora, but loved that no racoons or tree creatures were harmed in the making of this film.

Also, cracked up at the final stinger.

Diggler

Is the 3D actually worthwhile in this then? I saw it in 2D because it's post-converted and I normally avoid that like the plague.

Post conversions are pretty cool these days. Some director's even prefer it as it gives them much more control over what to focus on and how they put their shots together in the editing room too (which James Gunn definitely makes use of in this).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Saw it, loved it, was saddened they nerfed Drax and Gamora, but loved that no racoons or tree creatures were harmed in the making of this film.

Also, cracked up at the final stinger.
I can't believe I just saw
Howard the Duck
in a film with a $94m opening weekend.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn right after my showing there was already a line forming for the next. Anyway loved the movie and it was everything I wanted and more. It also seems like everyone wants to watch it multiple times. As soon as it was done I wanted to watch it again and my friend said she was going to see it again too.

Can anyone elaborate on Thanos's abilities sans the infinity gauntlet? Everyone in this thread has mentioned that he could easily squash Ronan even though he had an infinity gem, so I'm curious as to what powers he has as a Titan.

Thriller

I live in The Netherlands where the movie will launch the 14th of August but I just saw it in Manchester - UK and I feel so lucky :D

The start of the movie sent chills down my spine, especially the take my hand part :(

I thought the movie was really enjoyable but it failed to give me a fleshed out baddy. I LOVED Ronan's design and overall look but he felt as expendable as malekith in Thor 2 which is a real shame.

All the effects were great and I even liked Rocket.

As soon as it releases here Ill watch it again :)

Showaddy

LOL a parent near me kept complaining about to much swearing for a kids film until another parent told him to shut the fuck up.

DarkFlow

Banned
UK though, rated 12A which means it's suitable for all ages with an adult. Even I thought there was a surprising of swearing for a Marvel film, not that I had a problem with it.
That's what PG 13 means around here basically. Other then bitch and whore, it really was not that bad.

anaron

They say "fuck" pretty commonly in PG 13 films nowadays

For a a marvel film it was definitely the most explicit but in general? Nah

Sorry if it was brought up already, but what was the purple infinity stone? Power, or Soul?

It kills all living things it touches - I wonder if it's the soul gem.

Tabasco

Not going to lie, this movie is intriguing me.

Is it a must see along with Dawn? I thought Dawn was pretty damn amazing.

ramyeon

I think it's more like the fine print in a contract, or a camouflaged animal. It's there, it's just overshadowed by everything else.
No it's not. It's not a hard plot to follow if you're paying attention. It's not the movie's fault in this case, it's your own.

Permanently A

Was anyone else surprised by the violence and profanity? Not complaining, I was just kinda shocked to see people getting straight up impaled on screen in a Marvel film.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Saw the movie yesterday, I liked it overall. My only problems were:

-
The bar fight scene. Was totally unnecessary, and made Rocky sound really whiny and annoying.
- I thought we reached a point where CG would be tolerable, but it seems we got a long way to go. Both the squirrel and Treebeard looked fake as hell.
-
Isn't Ronan supposed to be Thanos' son?
- Finally, probably my biggest gripe with the film, their selection of licensed music. My god, could you guys have picked a worse selection?! The kid was born in the 80s, so where the fuck is all the cool, synthesized, techno pop music? Where's Shout, by Tears of Fear? I Ran So Far Away, by A Flock of Seagulls? Laura Brannigan? Anybody? Helloooooooooooo?
- And the after credits easter egg was absolute shit.

edit: Oh one other thing.

It was annoying that they kept referring to the Infinity gem as the Infinity stone. Like, what the hell?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Saw the movie yesterday, I liked it overall. My only problems were:

-
The bar fight scene. Was totally unnecessary, and made Rocky sound really whiny and annoying.
- I thought we reached a point where CG would be tolerable, but it seems we got a long way to go. Both the squirrel and Treebeard looked fake as hell.
-
Isn't Ronan supposed to be Thanos' son?
- Finally, probably my biggest gripe with the film, their selection of licensed music. My god, could you guys have picked a worse selection?! The kid was born in the 80s, so where the fuck is all the cool, synthesized, techno pop music? Where's Shout, by Tears of Fear? I Ran So Far Away, by A Flock of Seagulls? Laura Brannigan? Anybody? Helloooooooooooo?
- And the after credits easter egg was absolute shit.

Did you just call Rocket Raccoon a squirrel?

Or it this a joke post?

CitrusStorm

Unconfirmed Member

Blame the kid's mom for making him the mix tape. She wanted him to enjoy HER music, probably deep-seated in an "old man yells at cloud" type of way she didn't want to admit.

The music was one of the best bits. Fantastic songs and fitted the tone of the film perfectly, imo. The whole idea of it being his Mum's favourite songs added to the emotional story with Peter and his dead mother. I loved that touch.

Top Bottom