• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Saw the movie yesterday, I liked it overall. My only problems were:

-
The bar fight scene. Was totally unnecessary, and made Rocky sound really whiny and annoying.
Showed you how broken RR was, and made the audience care for the character

- I thought we reached a point where CG would be tolerable, but it seems we got a long way to go. Both the squirrel and Treebeard looked fake as hell.
Squirrel?

-
Isn't Ronan supposed to be Thanos' son?
No.

- Finally, probably my biggest gripe with the film, their selection of licensed music. My god, could you guys have picked a worse selection?! The kid was born in the 80s, so where the fuck is all the cool, synthesized, techno pop music? Where's Shout, by Tears of Fear? I Ran So Far Away, by A Flock of Seagulls? Laura Brannigan? Anybody? Helloooooooooooo?
The music was great

- And the after credits easter egg was absolute shit.
I agree

All in all, did we watch the same movie?

Wazzy

Banned

-
The bar fight scene. Was totally unnecessary, and made Rocky sound really whiny and annoying.
What? That was one of the best scenes for Rocket. It really gave us an idea of how he felt and what he's been through. He's
lonely with the exception of Groot and that scene really hits you with it. Especially when you know he was experimented on

- I thought we reached a point where CG would be tolerable, but it seems we got a long way to go. Both the squirrel and Treebeard looked fake as hell.
I was going to say this one is more subjective so I can't say you're wrong but calling Rocket Raccoon a squirrel...

I'm actually a little bit in agreement. I know everyone loves it but only the first one was great and it's because it was so cute. The second one I was hoping would
lead into Avengers 2 or at least set something up but at most it introduced Cosmo and then gave us Howard which I know people found funny but I thought it was a little odd. Not a major gripe for me though since the movie was meant to be fun

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Guys, the squirrel thing was a joke...

I thought the Treebeard thing would have given it away.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

-
-
- Finally, probably my biggest gripe with the film, their selection of licensed music. My god, could you guys have picked a worse selection?! The kid was born in the 80s, so where the fuck is all the cool, synthesized, techno pop music? Where's Shout, by Tears of Fear? I Ran So Far Away, by A Flock of Seagulls? Laura Brannigan? Anybody? Helloooooooooooo?

edit: Oh one other thing.

It was annoying that they kept referring to the Infinity gem as the Infinity stone. Like, what the hell?

Wow, I honestly disagree with 100% of your post, LOL.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Saw it last night in 2D. Easily easily my favorite Marvel movie. Had a similar space opera vibe as 5th Element.
Yeah, I kind of got that colorful, somewhat cartoon-y space opera vibe that The Fifth Element has as well. Reassures me since I like that style.

Docpan

Alright that movie was sick. Came out of nowhere and blew away every other Marvel movie.

I don't think a sequel could top this. Too well written.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got back from it. Really, really fun movie, might be my favorite from Marvel in general. Though I didn't see Winter Soldier yet.

TheFatOne

Just got back from seeing this movie, and for me it's easily the best marvel movie. Loved everything. Thought the entire cast fit well together. Just an awesome awesome movie.

Dalek

-
-

It was annoying that they kept referring to the Infinity gem as the Infinity stone. Like, what the hell?

Please do me a favor and never get involved in filmmaking in any way shape or form.

Mick LaSalle said:
In place of wit, "Guardians" offers a sort of generalized willingness to be amusing, an atmosphere of high spirits that feels like lots of people pumping air into a tire that has a hole in it.

I just don't get these rotten reviews. I get people all have their own opinions and all but damn.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I must say. This completely killed Cap 2. Everything was better than Cap 2 in this movie. It was atleast 20x more fun than Cap 2.
This doesn't surprise me. Cap 2 looked like a very serious, dire movie, of which I still have yet to see.

Some other rotten reviews:

Damien Straker said:
Once touted as their riskiest film to date, it is artistically and politically as conservative a film as Marvel Studios has ever made.

Matthew Lickona said:
Marvel puts its heart on its sleeve with a story about the healing power of friendship, but that sleeve is stained with blood, spit, and other bodily fluids.

Andrew O'Hehir said:
I didn't enjoy it enough that I will ever want to sit through it again.

Kyle Smith said:
"Guardians of the Galaxy" brings to mind some of the most unforgettable sci-fi event movies of the last 30 years. Alas, those films are "Howard the Duck" and "Green Lantern."

Paul Chambers said:
"Guardians of the Galaxy" relied too much on the audience already knowing the Marvel mythology. Call it, in my opinion, an unacceptable shorthand.

My wife knows nothing about Marvel mythology and adored the film.

Saw it last night in 2D. Easily easily my favorite Marvel movie. Had a similar space opera vibe as 5th Element.
I wish I had seen it in 2D (IMAX). I'm not a big 3D fan, but after thoroughly enjoying Gravity in 3D, I gave GotG a shot. Unfortunately, it made the action scenes a little too distracting for me. For me, at least, it's better suited for atmosphere and setting, and not so much for action.

I don't understand all the vitriol toward the post-credits scene. Just because it wasn't another Avengers teaser?
I hate when people cry "Entitlement!", but... yeah, it's entitlement.

We got the Avengers 2 teaser mid-credits from Winter Soldier and for some reason people still expected another one here even though post-credit scenes are always self-contained movie scenes or jokes.

If anything people should be upset that the other credits scene wasn't an Avengers 2 teaser. That's usually where the big ones go. Then again it still wouldn't have made any sense on such a self-contained movie. There was no thread to tie it to Avengers 2.

Showaddy

Share the same feeling as well. Then again I know nothing about the comics so I don't know how close it is to the source material. It's a good summer flick.

Similar in tone but the story is completely original, the Guardians origin in the comic involves Ultron and a giant intergalactic AI invasion.

Edit: And that credit scene was a massive let down. Why the hell would you hype up that scene and put an embargo on it until general release? That's just asking for people to be let down.

Didn't need to be an Avengers teaser either, if Cosmo had spoken in that scene I would have been satisfied. Any cosmic related tease would have been cool.

AlexMogil

The wife and I went tonight, against her will, sorta. I wanted to see it, she wanted to see a movie. I had a great time and she even said she liked it more than she should have, if only for Groot.

What a great time.

Hahaaaa

Best marvel studios movie. Edged out cap 2 as well imo. This whole team was great together. Humor was awesome, kids are gonna love rocket and especially groot

Right after xmen dofp for best comic book movie since TDK

Villains were nothing special, however

Dalek

Today's t-shirt at TeeFury:

b-mco-soon-in-a-galaxy-nearby.png

Quick

Banned

-
-

What a shitty joke post. Try harder.

Grief.exe

So I've been piecing some information together over the past half hour or so. I'm not much of a comic book reader at all, but want to dive head first into Guardians after seeing the movie.

As far as I've been able to gather, minimum reading seems to be Annihilation: Conquest, especially the Quasar and Starlord series, which dives directly into GotG volume 2. Not sure what is required reading for the Annihilation series, I believe it is Annihilation Prologue and then the main 6 part series, though the Drax and Ronan portions would seem very relevant.

I'm going to make a stop at my local comic book store tomorrow and assess prices, I really hope they are doing some reprints on the Annihilation series as if these are too cost prohibitive I will find other avenues, IE Kindle, Marvel Digital, etc.

I appreciate any advice and insight into this due to my complete ignorance into the comic book world.

This goes without saying, but I loved the film. I actually don't generally find comic book movies compelling, but the smart writing in GotG really sold me on the franchise. This, along with Dark Knight, are my two favorite comic book movies.

Oh man, guys.

Guardians of the Galaxy.

So. Fucking. Good. I loved it. A lot. I wanna watch it again ASAP. So much fun.

The cast was perfect. Pratt was great as Quill, had that swagger in spades, but delivered the emotional stuff when it was needed. Gamora was badass and Saldana was good (though I would have liked more with her character). Bautista was great as Drax. He delivered the humor really well. But man, Rocket and Groot... film MVPs. Rocket's bit in the bar was so fucking good. Cooper nailed that. And Groot... is Groot.

Ronan was a pretty good villain too. I liked all the Nova Corps dudes. Action was fantastic. Great soundtrack.

And Star Lord has the best helmet ever.

Ooga Chucka.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So I've been piecing some information together over the past half hour or so. I'm not much of a comic book reader at all, but want to dive head first into Guardians after seeing the movie.

As far as I've been able to gather, minimum reading seems to be Annihilation: Conquest, especially the Quasar and Starlord series, which dives directly into GotG volume 2. Not sure what is required reading for the Annihilation series, I believe it is Annihilation Prologue and then the main 6 part series, though the Drax and Ronan portions would seem very relevant.

I'm going to make a stop at my local comic book store tomorrow and assess prices, I really hope they are doing some reprints on the Annihilation series as if these are too cost prohibitive I will find other avenues, IE Kindle, Marvel Digital, etc.

I appreciate any advice and insight into this due to my complete ignorance into the comic book world.

This goes without saying, but I loved the film. I actually don't generally find comic book movies compelling, but the smart writing in GotG really sold me on the franchise. This, along with Dark Knight, are my two favorite comic book movies.

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785190643/?tag=neogaf0e-20
And preorder this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785190635/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These are the most acclaimed Guardians of the Galaxy series. The current one is not so good.

If you want to read all of Annihilation, you should also consider reading this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785188894/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What a shitty joke post. Try harder.

Not sure how many times I can say I was being serious. I realize this won't do my popularity any favors, but then again, I didn't come to this thread to make FRIENDS.

Can we all please take a step back and calm the fuck down for a sec? Those things I mentioned were personal nitpicks, not deal breakers. I thought the movie was great overall. I get that not everyone's going to agree with my complaints, which is totally fair since I will fully admit that I have weird, extremely picky preferences that aren't shared by the vast majority of people. But y'all are acting like I ran over your dog or something.

Having said that, I sure as hell stick by my complaint the after credits ending.

I liked that they were
his mom's songs, from when she was young. gave some nice weight as to why he kept it as long as he did, why he fought so hard to get it back, and supported the end reveal of Vol. 2, plus i just like those songs in general.

Perhaps
Thanos will take it to the space stone shaping girlguy, and have them fashioned into gems!

-
-

ixk3PMitO9BC7.gif

rexor0717

I wanted to watch this movie again immediately after seeing it. I loved Cap 2, but I think this one was just so much fun. I'll probably see this multiple times in theaters.

Mortemis

Banned
Finally got to see this, and man this was so fucking good. So much fun and laughter all wrapped up in great storytelling. My only small gripe would be that it was a little too predictable of a plot, but man I got nothing on this. Loved it that much.

Even still, I gotta give the edge over to The Winter Soldier for the best Marvel movie.

Marvel really killed it this year. A much better showing than last year's IM3 and Thor 2 imo. So hyped for Avengers 2 right now.

Maximus.

Thought it was an amazing movie, amazing space movie, great characters and loved seeing Thanos on screen. Can't wait for the sequel.

Marvel movies are only getting better and better. This movie was suspenseful, hilarious, action packed and I loved the connection to the overall universe and preluding to what's to come. They had a lot of ground to cover and they succeeded.

rexor0717

I know some probably won't agree, but I really liked that Ronan and Nebula to a lesser extent were just unsympathetically evil. For Ronan, I'm glad that they didn't spend much time trying to really give him a solid motivation. He is bad, and thats what you get! It just let me focus on the good guys.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I enjoyed this, It was the usual fun but forgettable Marvel yarn. I can't shake the feeling that they are just making stuff up on the spot or maybe not explaining/foreshadowing it well enough beforehand in some cases.

Top Bottom