• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

So what's next for Marvel? After Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, Namor the Submariner? Marvel and Universal Pictures team up? Would be awesome to see Namor joining the MCU

KingGondo

Banned
This doesn't make any sense. It's well received by general audiences in spite of its characters heretofore being incredibly obscure.
This seems dumb.

There's backstory, but it's not like you need to know it in full to have fun with the movie.

There are bad guys, good guys and some kind of powerful relic they're fighting over. A planet is at stake. The end.

Excellent movie. Wasn't really one thing I could fault it for just loved every moment.

Quick question.
Who is StarLords poppa in the comics?

Tom_Cody

So I've been piecing some information together over the past half hour or so. I'm not much of a comic book reader at all, but want to dive head first into Guardians after seeing the movie.

As far as I've been able to gather, minimum reading seems to be Annihilation: Conquest, especially the Quasar and Starlord series, which dives directly into GotG volume 2. Not sure what is required reading for the Annihilation series, I believe it is Annihilation Prologue and then the main 6 part series, though the Drax and Ronan portions would seem very relevant.

I'm going to make a stop at my local comic book store tomorrow and assess prices, I really hope they are doing some reprints on the Annihilation series as if these are too cost prohibitive I will find other avenues, IE Kindle, Marvel Digital, etc.

I appreciate any advice and insight into this due to my complete ignorance into the comic book world.

This goes without saying, but I loved the film. I actually don't generally find comic book movies compelling, but the smart writing in GotG really sold me on the franchise. This, along with Dark Knight, are my two favorite comic book movies.
I strongly recommend Marvel Unlimited (their monthly service) and the Marvel Comics app (pay as you go, larger selection). I hadn't read many comics digitially prior to this, but a tablet is really perfect for this.

I have slowly been working my way though Marvels cosmic stuff (things on that chart and classic stuff as well) and those apps have been fantastic. Not everything I want is on Marvel Unlimited, but a ton of stuff is. And it's super convenient to be able to fill in any gaps that do pop up with the pay as you go app.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
This seems dumb.

There's backstory, but it's not like you need to know it in full to have fun with the movie.

There are bad guys, good guys and some kind of powerful relic they're fighting over. A planet is at stake. The end.
As much as I loved this film (and I did), I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had come into it with no background knowledge of the characters. For example, thanks to the Marvel Unlimited $0.99 deal, I read through the Annihilation and Conquest story lines before I saw the film, which portray Ronan almost completely opposite to the way he's portrayed in the movie. I was confused as to why the Ronan portrayed in those stories (an individual with fanatical adherence to Kree law) had a hard on to destroy whole planets of people for religious reasons. Maybe this is fleshed out and explored in story lines in other comic series, but it took me a minute to get on board with this Ronan.

Tom_Cody

Ah so no one I know. I thought maybe it was
Silver Surfer or something.
Right, no one of importance in the larger Marvel comics universe. The specific significance is that he the Emperor of the Spartoi Empire, making Quill a prince (essentially).

KingGondo

Banned
As much as I loved this film (and I did), I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had come into it with no background knowledge of the characters. For example, thanks to the Marvel Unlimited $0.99 deal, I read through the Annihilation and Conquest story lines before I saw the film, which portray Ronan almost completely opposite to the way he's portrayed in the movie. I was confused as to why the Ronan portrayed in those stories (an individual with fanatical adherence to Kree law) had a hard on to destroy whole planets of people for religious reasons. Maybe this is fleshed out and explored in story lines in other comic series, but it took me a minute to get on board with this Ronan.
But that's also a common trope in comics: characters vary (sometimes significantly) in different forms of media, and even in their various retcons and spinoff stories in print.

I just think the reviewer's criticism is kind of silly. The characters' backstories are as fleshed-out as possible without making the film bloated.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
But that's also a common trope in comics: characters vary (sometimes significantly) in different forms of media, and even in their various retcons and spinoff stories in print.

I just think the reviewer's criticism is kind of silly. The characters' backstories are as fleshed-out as possible without making the film bloated.
To be clear, I agree with you. The fact that my minimal knowledge of the character outside the movie lessened my enjoyment of the movie (however so slightly) is directly contradictory to his criticism.

Had I known nothing at all of Ronan going into the film, I wouldn't have been confused by Gunn's portrayal of him..

Maximus.

My first thought after getting the joke was, "How did that joke make it past the censors/rating board? Are they so dense they don't know Jackson Pollack or his work?"

I think it's a joke kids won't really understand, so no real harm there. Also, I thought the rating people dont watch the whole movie? I could be totally wrong here.

So what's next for Marvel? After Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, Namor the Submariner? Marvel and Universal Pictures team up? Would be awesome to see Namor joining the MCU

The Defenders, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, all in the lead up to The Infinity Gauntlet saga.

After that - the sky's the limit. I'd like them to spend some time building the MCU outward in non-Avengers ways. Give us more solo heroes or more obscure teams.

Then do New Avengers.

Mariolee

I think it's a joke kids won't really understand, so no real harm there. Also, I thought the rating people dont watch the whole movie? I could be totally wrong here.

I'm not sure that they don't watch the whole movie, but I'm sure that the Pollock joke made it through because it wasn't very explicit directly.

Mr. Sam

It's a bit fucked that a joke about semen is the thing kids shouldn't be exposed to in a film full of violent deaths - or am I getting a bit too caught up in the sex/violence double standard again?

It's a bit fucked that a joke about semen is the thing kids shouldn't be exposed to in a film full of violent deaths - or am I getting a bit too caught up in the sex/violence double standard again?

It's also rated PG-13 so Disney/Marvel can cover their legal backsides.

Tom_Cody

there's a cum on her back joke here somewhere

now that I think about it, hilarious that the biggest laugh in the movie is from a cum joke. Chris Pratt really is perfect for Star Lord.
When that line hit it was like the audience I was in had a collective stroke. No one knew how to react. I mean, people burst out laughing but there was a lot of audible disbelief.

Blader

Maybe it's because I heard the exact same joke on Entourage five years ago but I didn't really think the Jackson Pollock line was all that shocking, other than it being in a Disney movie.

Maybe it's because I heard the exact same joke on Entourage five years ago but I didn't really think the Jackson Pollock line was all that shocking, other than it being in a Disney movie.

You mean Seth Green's line? I died laughing at it because it led to Drama just beating the shit out of everybody. Seth Green being a recurring antagonist was hilarious

Yeah it mostly just wasn't expected in the movie it's in. I think GOTG doesn't try to pull any punches in order to appeal more to kids/families but it definitely had more dick jokes than your average MCU film.

I recall reading about the super slow-mo cameras they used for this film, specifically that there were two scenes with them that were going to be awesome. I cannot however find the interview. Anyone with better google-fu know what I'm talking about?

Mariolee

I really love love love the soundtrack to this. I'm a kid of the 90's, but growing up my parents listened to oldies radio all the way up until I was twelve so these songs really connected with me.

I love this movie so much.

glottis8

Banned
I really love love love the soundtrack to this. I'm a kid of the 90's, but growing up my parents listened to oldies radio all the way up until I was twelve so these songs really connected with me.

I love this movie so much.

You and your parents have a good taste in music then :) Fantastic soundtrack.

I need some anecdotal experiences here.

How's the word of mouth?

What did you hear people say when they walked out of the theater?
People seemed to really love it. It got a ton of laughs and people had a pretty good time from what I could tell. I didn't overhear any reactions from people when leaving the theater, but family I saw it with loved it.

Saw it with my little bro on opening day and he's hanging the IMAX poster in his room. Didn't even know who the Guardians were before the movie (other than knowing Rocket Raccoon from UMvC3). My father who knew nothing of the Guardians before the movie said we haven't had a scifi movie that good since Star Wars. The first Star Wars.

It seems to be going over pretty damn well with fans and the mainstream both.

Tom_Cody

I think it was more about the context (in a disney movie, spoken to a racoon, in a pg-13 movie) in which it was said than the punchline itself.

The "fuck-off" in X-Men first class was extremely funny and memorable and that had little to do with "fuck" being an interesting swear word.

I need some anecdotal experiences here.

How's the word of mouth?

What did you hear people say when they walked out of the theater?

I was slightly disappointed. Its a good movie but I think it would have really benefited from another 30min on the runtime.

The beginning of the movie moves so fast that there are a lot of scenes that never really get a chance to "breathe" so to speak. Also you hardly get a chance to know any of the characters, yeah you like them because they say funny stuff but it never feels like any of them are very fleshed out.

It just feels a little like they bit off a bit more than they could chew and they crammed a bit too much into 2 hours.

Its still good and totally worth seeing, but its not without its issues.

10516800_927736593909580_2703955964826069251_n.jpg

Loved it. As I sat through the movie nitpicking its various failings, I took a step back and realized all the complaints I had centered around what I expected these characters to be like compared to their 616 counterparts. Ronan wouldn't do this, Gamora wouldn't do that, so and so's origin is different from the comics...and then I realized none of those complaints actually reflect on the movie itself. So I put them aside and let gunn's interpretation of cosmic Marvel wash over me, and I loved it. My only real complaint is that Gamora was played more as a token love interest than as a badass assassin, but I figure they have a sequel to make up for that. Groot, Rocket, and Drax were perfect. Despite my early trepidation, Starlord totally worked. Gamora was really my only sore point.

Symphonic

Not sure where else to ask this (and if there's a better place PLEASE tell me), but what's the absolute BEST Marvel (or otherwise) series of comics or graphic novel? Guardians or otherwise. I'm looking for one of the story combo books with several issues or a larger graphic novel.

Thanks!

Not sure where else to ask this (and if there's a better place PLEASE tell me), but what's the absolute BEST Marvel (or otherwise) series of comics or graphic novel? Guardians or otherwise. I'm looking for one of the story combo books with several issues or a larger graphic novel.

Thanks!

If you want more Guardians than read the 2008 Abnett & Lanning run that the movie is inspired from.

It was just reprinted as Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning Complete Collection Vol. 1.

Vol. 2 is coming in the fall.

kmfdmpig

Was hoping to love it, but didn't. The characters were all fine, the action was fun, there were some funny moments and even a few mildly touching ones, but nothing really seemed to have any weight or significance. It all just felt meaningless and silly.

It's obviously worlds better than something like ASM2, but for me it's far behind Winter Soldier and DOFP for comic movies this summer.

Symphonic

Was hoping to love it, but didn't. The characters were all fine, the action was fun, there were some funny moments and even a few mildly touching ones, but nothing really seemed to have any weight or significance. It all just felt meaningless and silly.

It's obviously worlds better than something like ASM2, but for me it's far behind Winter Soldier and DOFP for comic movies this summer.

I can see what you mean here, even though I absolutely loved it. But you have to consider that Winter and DOFP were both with established casts and universes. Guardians of the Galaxy is not one one, but five origin stories in one AND they had to setup up an entirely new universe for use in later movies. It's hard to do that while tying in big series/universe plot points. I assume they're saving that for the sequel.

If you want more Guardians than read the 2008 Abnett & Lanning run that the movie is inspired from.

It was just reprinted as Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning Complete Collection Vol. 1.

Vol. 2 is coming in the fall.

It's not out until August 12 according to Amazon. :(

Top Bottom