• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

glottis8

Banned
I've noticed that Bradley Cooper barely gets talked about. I thought his voice work was great. I was one of the people that wanted a cockney accent for the role.. But I can't imagine the drunken scene having the same emotional effect on me if Jason Statham was the voice actor lol.

I was surprised to read he was the VO for Rocket. I thought he did an excellent job, i don't think i would have guessed it was him if it wasn't for the credits. very different from his usual characters.

The movie opens in September in my country. Feels bad man. Anyway, I'm excited to see it even though I know nothing about the comic book. The idea of a Marvel-made fun space adventure is really enticing.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Saw this yesterday, surprisingly I didn't really like it all that much. A lot of the comedy fell pretty flat and the action didn't do much for me.

Idk...

Just watched it on Sunday, I liked it, was a pretty good movie. It was definitely a marvel movie though, anyone that doesn't expect jokes thrown out every 3 mins or less, numerous pop culture references, or having jokes break dramatic scenes shouldn't be surprised when they see the movie. The set pieces were pretty awesome, was relieved that the adventure took place in space. The action is serviceable but its not the best out of comic book movies. I'd probably slot this after Avengers, Ironman & TWS, but for sure above the rest by a good degree.

One thing it also did was start an itch for more Sci Fi/Space opera movies, can't wait for Episode 7 now, Space Opera might be the next trend after super hero movies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Saw this yesterday, surprisingly I didn't really like it all that much. A lot of the comedy fell pretty flat and the action didn't do much for me.

Idk...

Getout.gif

I feel like all Marvel movies have the same damn generic villain with no personality and the same damn end fight scene where nothing is at stake and things are just blowing up Transformers style. The differences are very minor.

Did I like this movie? Yeah. But it's getting stale. I know people disagree and I'm not trying to change minds.

I liked X-Men because things felt like they mattered, and perhaps they actually did.

This has been brought up before, but in the confines of a movie it's hard to build a convincing villain. GotG is already throwing together 5 people with different backgrounds and motivations to save the galaxy. The "person you've known forever suddenly betrays you" doesn't work in this case.

I wouldn't say the ending tied everything up neatly in a bow either.
Nebula is still out there, Thanos wants the Inifnity Gem (and probably knows where it is), what will Yondu do, who is Starlord's dad?

Neoxon

I need to find some kind of work-around to editing this thread with my main desktop at home not working. Fortunately, I found another computer elsewhere, but my phone is the Anti-OT Editor & my Wii U is barely viable.

Quick

Banned
I need to find some kind of work-around to editing this thread with my main desktop at home not working. Fortunately, I found another computer elsewhere, but my phone is the Anti-OT Editor & my Wii U is barely viable.

Bring a friend.

Go to the Apple Store.

Edit OT.

If an employee asks you what you're doing, tell that person you guys are checking out honeymoon destinations in New Jersey.

Neoxon

Bring a friend.

Go to the Apple Store.

Edit OT.

If an employee asks you what you're doing, tell that person you guys are checking out honeymoon destinations in New Jersey.
I'm getting a laptop soon, anyway. GAF told me to go for a MacBook Pro, but my friends told me to get the Asus.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This fucking soundtrack man. So good! Favorite Marvel movie by miles.

KKRT00

Was yesterday on 3D version and unfortunately with dubbing [free tickets], but damn, its one of the best s-f movies, i've seen in years and even dubbing hasnt annoyed me.

CG in this movie is class of its own, finally Avatar got totally outplayed. So much detail, so rich environments, so good imaginative technology pump into the world.
It was a big risk for Marvel, but it seems to payed off totally.

Ps. I've also discovered with friends that 3D is so, so much better in first rows. I highly recommend watching it in 3-4th rows in 3D, instead on back or middle.

Ps. I've also discovered with friends that 3D is so, so much better in first rows. I highly recommend watching it in 3-4th rows in 3D, instead on back or middle.

WHAT no god no, I did that for Gravity and nearly died inside. You trying to kill people?! :p

Saw it today. Absolutely loved everything.

What I loved the most about this is that it felt like a legit science fiction movie and not a Marvel fillm. Like no super hero stuff, no SHIELD, no Earth. Just felt like an uniquely different film.

The art design for this movie is incredible. I must track down the art book.

And Bradley Cooper KILLED it as Rocket. By far my favorite character but honestly everyone played their parts wonderfully. I am so hyped for the sequel.

Favorite Marvel movie by far.

Neoxon

What I loved the most about this is that it felt like a legit science fiction movie and not a Marvel fillm. Like no super hero stuff, no SHIELD, no Earth. Just felt like an uniquely different film.

And Bradley Cooper KILLED it as Rocket. By far my favorite character but honestly everyone played their parts wonderfully. I am so hyped for the sequel.

SHIELD is barely a thing after Winter Soldier.

Ended up watching the movie 3 times in theaters. I think I'm done for now. Just wish it had a little bit more time to breath (another half hour would be fine).

Sanke__

This movie seriously ruined avengers 2 for me if the guardians of the galaxy don't at least make an appearance.

Every marvel movie without them is going to seem super lame from now on.

Definitely looking forward to guardians 2 more than avengers 2.

Still can't believe how impressed I was with Bautista and how stupid I feel for worrying that he would be the weak link in the movie.

Sanke__

So many people I know have been talking about GotG recently. Whether it's how much they liked it, what they didn't like, wanting to see it etc. Feels like not even Avengers Assemble had this much talk for me. Last time I think I heard this much talk from my experience was Avatar.

And avatar didn't exactly have a monumental opening weekend.

This movie is going to have some serious legs.

Just saw the movie. WOW!!!

Best Marvel movie by far, and maybe best super-hero movie ever. I'll wait the hype die down before I affirm my second statement but I got a good feeling about this.

So good.

Pop

Saw it a second time early today with my dad. He absolutely loved it. He's a big superhero/comic fan and rated this tied with TWS on his list for the best Marvel movie.

Right when the movie ended, this guy in front of me in his 40s. Says out loud, "this was the best movie this year". I was like right on haha

Loved the hell out of the movie.

I've noticed that Bradley Cooper barely gets talked about. I thought his voice work was great. I was one of the people that wanted a cockney accent for the role.. But I can't imagine the drunken scene having the same emotional effect on me if Jason Statham was the voice actor lol.

Yeah, completely agree, good job mentioning him, Cooper was fantastic as Rocket and the character was awesome in the movie.

Yup, loved all this and totally agree on the cast, had a blast seeing it.

Canon

Banned
This has been brought up before, but in the confines of a movie it's hard to build a convincing villain.
Uh... if you can't build a convincing villain you might want to hire a different writer, at least for those parts.

I'm not going to say it's easy, but I've written a screenplay before (too filthy for Neogaf) and I'd say the villain is probably the most satisfying and fun thing to write, so I don't know why Marvel only has a single decent villain in all of their films. Most of them are literally forgettable the minute you walk out of the theater, or before. Why is that? If you don't feel like the heroes are in actual danger, then all tension is lost. That's a serious problem.

Again... I liked the movie. But there's really no excuse for such a lame villain.

Filth

loved it but i thought the post credits scene was fucking dumb. :/

also question: at this point in the time line does the collector have the other stone ?

rexor0717

I just saw it a second time. Just as good as the first time, and I look forward to a third time on blu-ray.Its so far away, but I'll be scouring the scenes for details I missed.

Fireblend

Banned
Just came back from watching this. Awesome movie, great contribution to the MCU, and probably more importantly, it filled a void in my heart that had been largely ignored since Serenity. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Definitely watching it again soon.

Cuburt

Funny anecdote of my opening night experience:

I was sitting next to a dad who had brought his 2 sons to see the movie (I'd guess the sons were probably about 10 and 12). The dad was probably in his late 40's/early 50's. As the movie goes on he's enthusiastically attempting to explain every artist/album/title of every song and every old pop culture reference to his youngest son who is clearly unaffected by his dad's nostalgic excitement, even shushing his dad several minutes into the movie. The dad is so overzealous he even explains how Footloose is a movie in the 80's after Quill has already made that pretty clear in his explanation on screen.

Anyways, the scene comes on where Quill mentions his ship would look like a Jackson Pollock painting and the whole audience cracks up, including this dad. For the first time all movie, the son asks his dad to explain what was so funny. The dad, caught off-guard and probably a little embarrassed for having to explain a line he and everyone else had just laughed so hard at, said after a brief pause, "What? Oh, I didn't hear what he said since I was laughing too much.....I understood the reference though......."

That was the last thing he said for the rest of the movie. lol

Top Bottom