• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

y2dvd

I'm Not In Love was so good to start the movie, all sortsa good/chill vibes. This is probably the best MCU movie to this point(still haven't seen Cap 2 though). Whoever said it felt like more of a sci-fi movie than a superhero movie hit the nail on the head, I think that's why I liked it so much.

I'll take credit for that! It was refreshing that this wasn't a typical superhero origin movie.

Probably most fun movie I've seen of 2014.

I almost laughed out loud when the post scene came up and people were like "WTF is that" at
Howard the Duck

TsuXna

Unfortunately, our cinemas in my country decided not bring it over :(
I'd like to watch it just for that adorable raccoon :3

Jarmel

Banned
Saw it the other day. Really liked it except for a few areas

-The acting/dialogue felt wonky in certain spots. Like when
Star Lord initially confronted the guard about his headphones and just rattled off the name of the song
. Also members of the team kinda just told their backstory. A lot of it really felt perfunctory and reminds me of how Avengers didn't really have to do this stuff because the team was already well known for the most part.

-The movie had to be a bit hard for general audiences to follow some of this stuff as they throw a lot of new terms at you and don't really explain them all that well. I could follow most of this stuff as I'm a nerd and I have a bit more knowledge of Cosmic Marvel than an average person but it did feel a bit much at times. The Kree stuff in particular is just thrown into the movie and they don't do a good job of contexualizing Space Marvel.

-The villain sucked balls. Marvel really needs to figure out how to get villains that are either threatening or have some depth to them. They've struck out on all their films except for Thor 1, Avengers (this is due to Loki being so amazing), and Winter Soldier. Ronan was flat as fuck and his justification for starting the war/planet extermination stuff isn't solid enough in the framework of the movie.

-The team came together way too cleanly near the end. I also thought they threw the term friend around way too quickly. Also stuff like Star Lord
jumping out of the space ship for some girl he met less than four days ago felt a bit forced
. The relationship development was way too accelerated. I thought Avengers was much better in this area.

That said, holy shit the rest of the movie was golden. Soundtrack was super commendable and my favorite of all of the Marvel movies. Humor was dead on. The cinematography and action sequences were much better than I expected. The big space ship fight at the end was the best I've seen in a long long time. The movie had so much heart to it that I'm really looking forward to a sequel.

BIGWORM

Just saw this on a date last night and watched it in 3D. Good movie. I had no problems with it. I never read the source material, though.

cacildo

Nope that's purely a James Gunn characterization and I like it. It's honestly not the kinda thing that would work all that well in comics, so props to him for elevating the character in a new way that only film could do.

Thanks

It was the best thing of the movie, by far. I imagined it wouldnt be something from the comics since it dosent work too well on paper..

Didn't Iron Man 3 release early May? That's in the school year. That can affect weekday viewing numbers.

Guardian's numbers are still damn impressive for a non-sequel though.

Makes you wonder why August isnt seen as a better time for more family friendly releases. All the previous big August stuff is like the bourne movies, sixth sense, rush hour, Planet of the Apes and R rated comedies. Most of the bigger ones are pg13 but hardly family movies.

The first GI Joe live action movie is probably the only other that really fits the mold and i think the 150 million it did was fantastic for how poor the trailers looked and how utterly forgettable the film was.

Theres some cheap kids cash ins like planes and spy kids mixed in there but thats not what i mean when i say family freindly, that shit isn't freindly to parents (or uncles in my case heh).

Is the thinking that there is other shit families are doing during school breaks or what?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Fuck, I really need to go see this again.

It really was an awesome movie. I just can't believe that this was a movie... that was made... and is like... a success. That makes me very happy.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
We're going to see this at the midnight premiere in the night of 13th to 14th of august. My GF got word she's gotta show up for work at 7AM on the 14th, she was bummed out, but when I asked her if she wanted to skip and see at a later date she told me and I quote: "I don't care if they need me at 3, I am going to see that guntoting raccoon, walking tree, greenskinned hot assassin and walkman-carrying weirdo to a wickedly guilty pleasure 80s soundtrack and nothing, including my manager, is going to stop me dammit, I'll work from the theatre if need be."

Tash

"I don't care if they need me at 3, I am going to see that guntoting raccoon, walking tree, greenskinned hot assassin and walkman-carrying weirdo to a wickedly guilty pleasure 80s soundtrack and nothing, including my manager, is going to stop me dammit, I'll work from the theatre if need be."

kdyea.gif

TEJ

I am totally seeing age of ultron with Neoxon if given the chance. Neoxon is a straight up good guy. His friends were pretty cool too.

Pachimari

Gonna watch Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time today. And tonight I'm gonna see Captain America: The Winter Soldier for the first time as well!

genjiZERO

Saw it last night, and thought it was incredible. Regardless if it's a comic thing - it was an excellent sci-fi film. Best movie of the summer.

HeySeuss

Making 21 million on just a Monday and Tuesday is pretty good, right?

What happens if it makes another 10 million today and tomorrow each and has a 60 million weekend putting it above the opening weekend. Has that ever happened?

Soodanim

I think I would happily go see GotG at the cinema again, and I don't think I even said that about Winter Soldier (although I do want to own that on BD though).

We're going to see this at the midnight premiere in the night of 13th to 14th of august. My GF got word she's gotta show up for work at 7AM on the 14th, she was bummed out, but when I asked her if she wanted to skip and see at a later date she told me and I quote: "I don't care if they need me at 3, I am going to see that guntoting raccoon, walking tree, greenskinned hot assassin and walkman-carrying weirdo to a wickedly guilty pleasure 80s soundtrack and nothing, including my manager, is going to stop me dammit, I'll work from the theatre if need be."
She is the one. Propose.

Tom_Cody

What happens if it makes another 10 million today and tomorrow each and has a 60 million weekend putting it above the opening weekend. Has that ever happened?
I think the reasonable range for its second weekend is $40M-$50M with both extremes being fairly unlikely. I'm guessing $45M, which is already fairly optimistic when compared against the holds of recent Marvel films.

Regarding your specific question, Avatar did that, though that mostly had to due with it facing a historic blizzard across a lot of the country on its opening weekend.

Neoxon

Screenshot_2014_08_06_23_24_40_1.jpg

WIFE HER!!!!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think I would happily go see GotG at the cinema again, and I don't think I even said that about Winter Soldier (although I do want to own that on BD though).

She is the one. Propose.

I know, I've dropped to my knees already, but we're holding off marriage untill the kids are big enough to partake in the ceremony.

Rosur

Crazy prediction but it will do 100millon this weekend :p (somehow not dropping the usual amount but increasing)

Top Bottom