• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Remember, it's the songs Meredith listened to growing up. Most of the songs will likely still be from the 60's & 70's.
I dunno, since the second mix was for him after she was gone I could see her having made it from some later 70s to early/mid 80s songs. You know, so that while the first mix tape is the embodiment of her childhood memories, the second mixtape is the embodiment of Peter's memories of growing up with his mom.

First mixtape is the living memory of his mom. Second mixtape is the living memory of him and his mom.

Neoxon

I dunno, since the second mix was for him after she was gone I could see her having made it from some later 70s to early/mid 80s songs. You know, so that while the first mix tape is the embodiment of her childhood memories, the second mixtape is the embodiment of Peter's memories of growing up with his mom.

First mixtape is the living memory of his mom. Second mixtape is the living memory of him and his mom.
Peter left in 1988 if I recall correctly, so if that's the case, that covers a lot of songs from the 80's.

There better be a spaceship fight with Danger Zone playing in the sequel.

eastx

"Boring" is the single laziest word to use in a film review ever, and any critic who relies on such a subjective word in a film review is an immensely poor critic, in my opinion. Describing a film as boring doesn't tell me anything about the film, it just tells me about the reviewer. They should be explaining and breaking down why the film lost them. I found Boyhood to be absolutely enthralling. I also found myself bored during much of Godzilla. Does that make Godzilla a "boring" film? No! I just have different interests in films than the folks who were really into Godzilla do.

You do understand that you are responding to someone summarizing/paraphrasing the Half in the Bag review and not the actual review, right? Of course they provide examples about why they don't like the film. And boring is a perfectly valid adjective. Replace it with a thesaurus word and you still get the same meaning. Also, we're discussing an unscripted video review. People speaking their opinions without the benefit of being able to write and revise them before the audience experiences the review.

"Boring" is the single laziest word to use in a film review ever, and any critic who relies on such a subjective word in a film review is an immensely poor critic, in my opinion. Describing a film as boring doesn't tell me anything about the film, it just tells me about the reviewer. They should be explaining and breaking down why the film lost them. I found Boyhood to be absolutely enthralling. I also found myself bored during much of Godzilla. Does that make Godzilla a "boring" film? No! I just have different interests in films than the folks who were really into Godzilla do.
Again, haven't seen the movie, just relating what they said. They review movies and thought it was boring. That doesn't really make the film boring, or anything. It's their review.

Ultimadrago

Sorely underwhelming film. For all I heard of Chris Pratt's "amazing" performance from others, Bradley Cooper's Rocket Raccoon and even Drax upstaged him as far as writing was concerned. Gamora's role within the team held such a lacking presence (besides love interest) that she's hardly even worth mention. In addition, Ronan must be one of the most poorly established villains in a Marvel film to date. The time spent not building him up wasn't spent wisely on creating structure within the main cast either, so that's not a fallback. I also hated their use of licensed music (The Runaway's Cherry Bomb? Really?)

The only notable positives were Rocket Raccoon and the dogfight scenes leading up to the climax. I can't say I went in the film expecting the world, but neither the humor nor the action made the cut (a shame as I enjoy what I've read of the Guardians of the Galaxy comic). On the bright side, the comic relief beats a lot of the unbearable one-line junk sentenced onto viewers in The Avengers.

Measley

is this old? unused Nova helmet design from the movie.
Guradians-of-the-Galaxy-Sam-Alexander-Nova.jpg

also, apparently Nova is in the earlier draft of the movie but they ditch him to focus on StarLord.

Man, I hope Marvel uses that helmet design for the Nova movie!

gatti-man

Again, haven't seen the movie, just relating what they said. They review movies and thought it was boring. That doesn't really make the film boring, or anything. It's their review.

That's so bizarre. I could call the film several things and see criticism but boring? It's the most colorful and varied film it could possibly be.

Sorely underwhelming film. For all I heard of Chris Pratt's "amazing" performance from others, Bradley Cooper's Rocket Raccoon and even Drax upstaged him as far as writing was concerned. Gamora's role within the team held such a lacking presence (besides love interest) that she's hardly even worth mmentionention. In addition, Ronan must be one of the most poorly established villains in a Marvel film to date. The time spent not building him up wasn't spent wisely on creating structure within the main cast either, so that's not a fallback. I also hated their use of licensed music (The Runaway's Cherry Bomb? Really?)

The only notable positives were Rocket Raccoon and the dogfight scenes leading up to the climax. I can't say I went in the film expecting the world, but neither the humor nor the action made the cut (a shame as I enjoy what I've read of the Guardians of the Galaxy comic). On the bright side, the comic relief beats a lot of the unbearable one-line junk sentenced onto viewers in The Avengers.

Totally agree the racoon steals the show but Pratt is great for what he is asked to do. The movie is just written for the Raccoon.

Cherrybomb made me laugh out loud. The villain was shallow but the film wasn't really about him anyways. It's about introducing space friends and their adventures.

It was different, it took chances, and most came out great for me. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea.

Ultimadrago

Totally agree the racoon steals the show but Pratt is great for what he is asked to do. The movie is just written for the Raccoon.

Cherrybomb made me laugh out loud. The villain was shallow but the film wasn't really about him anyways. It's about introducing space friends and their adventures.

It was different, it took chances, and most came out great for me. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea.

I can agree with that, it was more about the script than the performance there.

In any case, I am honestly glad others enjoyed the film as it certainly has plenty proofs of being a fun-embracing endeavor. So it's good to know that plenty of movie-goers had a blast with it.

RulkezX

I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. I know my kids are going to love Groot and Rocket, Pratt was excellent as Star Lord and I was pleasantly surprised by Drax who imho had some of the funniest lines in the movie.

Easily my favourite of the MCU to date.

I saw it last night and thought it was fantastic. I know my kids are going to love Groot and Rocket, Pratt was excellent as Star Lord and I was pleasantly surprised by Drax who imho had some of the funniest lines in the movie.

Easily my favourite of the MCU to date.

Batista killed it! I would never have guessed he'd be that good of a comedic actor. His timining and facial expressions were fantastic.

Nodnol

Finally saw this last night.

It was so...refreshing. I love the MCU and lap it up far too easily, but the slight shift in tone and brilliant performances just had me grinning when I left the theatre. Things have got a bit heavy recently, so it was nice to change things up a bit.

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone know if there is, or will be, a Phase 1 collection released on DVD/BR?

Pachimari

I'm gonna go buy most of the super hero movies in a moment. So The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor and Iron Man 2 are all part of Phase 1?

I have The Avengers already.

Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier are Phase 2?

Tom_Cody

I'm gonna go buy most of the super hero movies in a moment. So The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor and Iron Man 2 are all part of Phase 1?

Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World and Captain America: The Winter Soldier are Phase 2?
Yup.

Branson

Is there a significance to the phases? I actually saw this movie last night and loved it. Made me want to get the rest of the movies on bluray lol. Batista was actually pretty good compared to his WWE stuff. He surprised me the most I think.

Uncle

Is there a significance to the phases? I actually saw this movie last night and loved it. Made me want to get the rest of the movies on bluray lol. Batista was actually pretty good compared to his WWE stuff. He surprised me the most I think.

The phases kinda build up to a bigger "event" e.g phase 1 culminated in the Avengers movie and phase 2 will reach it's peak in Avengers 2. Though it's really not necessary to view them in such a way.

Edit: this made me wonder what they will call the even bigger picture with Thanos and what they will do when that's over.

Pachimari

Phase 1 movies conclude in Avengers 1, phase 2 build to Avengers 2. I'm not sure if GotG counts as phase 2 though, since it seems to be building groundwork for Thanos in Avengers 3.
I would regard it as phase 2.

Just go with the simple. Movies released between Avengers 1 and 2 are phase 2.

number11

We've already heard two songs from Mix Vol 2.. And both are from the late 60s

Here is a list of the movies organized into rows of their phase

Phase 1 | Phase 2 | Phase 3
-----------------------------
TV shows
-----------------------------
One-shots (short films found on the DVD's)

QAYSvPq.png

studyguy

So something that never occurred to me, is there like a timeline for all these movies?
They don't really mention the year things take place unless it's relevant to the story. I'm sure someone put a timeline up, but was just curious.

When they were in prison, did Pratt say to Zaldana "I couldn't care less" or "I could care less" ? I swear I heard the latter and I wanted to beat the shit out of the writer.

XaosWolf

Saw this on Wednesday. Loved every second of it. 3D was awesome. Drax is unexpectedly the funniest.
Gonna go see it again on Monday, with some better 3D glasses! =D

The OT has also reminded me to pick up a Rocket Raccoon and Iron Man Disney Infinity figures because I love the art style for it, even if I have little interest in the game itself.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Peter left in 1988 if I recall correctly, so if that's the case, that covers a lot of songs from the 80's.

There better be a spaceship fight with Danger Zone playing in the sequel.

this is genius.

Also Crockett's Theme for the sad-kissing-turns-into-lovemaking scene.

Just found out on Anime News Network, apparently, the Japanese dub has been cast, and the guy voicing Quill is the same voice as Space Dandy.

GENIUS!

Top Bottom