• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY |OT| ...Who?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Going to watch it this weekend with my brother and friends. It can be such a pain in the ass to find a showing that's not dubbed and fits our schedule.

There was a new Half in the Bag out.

It's hilarious to hear them talk about much Boyhood sucked and how GOTG had more genuine emotion and heart in the characters and was shot much better.

I really enjoyed this and i'd say it's the best of the marvel movies so far. There were things i didn't like but they were outweighed by the good stuff.

There was a new Half in the Bag out.

It's hilarious to hear them talk about much Boyhood sucked and how GOTG had more genuine emotion and heart in the characters and was shot much better.

Ugh. Ugh. I liked Guardians as much as anyone else in the thread, but I'm pretty sure that's an opinion that's straight-up wrong.

y2dvd

Jamming on that soundtrack. I am going to sing karaoke to everyone of these songs and expect to hear them all the time too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ugh. Ugh. I liked Guardians as much as anyone else in the thread, but I'm pretty sure that's an opinion that's straight-up wrong.

It's strange, because every review for Boyhood seems to be glowing with praise and accolades, yet Jay and Mike really hated it. And oddly enough, the only two people I personally know who have seen Boyhood also thought it was boring as fuck and just a waste of time. I almost always agree with Jay and Mike, and I pretty much always see eye to eye with my two buds too, yet Boyhood has like 100% yet on RT and is getting positive reviews from every critic out there. So I have no idea who to believe at this point.

I'll see Boyhood eventually when it comes out for rent, but I have no idea if I'll like it or not, lol.

As for GotG however, I saw it for the second time last night and I liked it better the second time around. I noticed a few little things I missed the first time. This is just a wonderful movie, so fun and entertaining. Pretty packed theater too for a Wednesday night and showing in three screens no less. I may even go see it a third time!

It's strange, because every review for Boyhood seems to be glowing with praise and accolades, yet Jay and Mike really hated it. And oddly enough, the only two people I personally know who have seen Boyhood also thought it was boring as fuck and just a waste of time. I almost always agree with Jay and Mike, and I pretty much always see eye to eye with my two buds too, yet Boyhood has like 100% yet on RT and is getting positive reviews from every critic out there. So I have no idea who to believe at this point.

My opinions are pretty 95% in line with them but every once in a while they won't like or just think a movie I REALLY loved is barely okay. And vice versa. It happens.

Not a fan of the Nolan Batman movies but they loved The Dark Knight, like pretty much everyone else. It happens sir. Go see BOYHOOD for yourself.

is this old? unused Nova helmet design from the movie.
Guradians-of-the-Galaxy-Sam-Alexander-Nova.jpg

also, apparently Nova is in the earlier draft of the movie but they ditch him to focus on StarLord.

manfestival

I just wish that these movies were offered in IMAX without the 3d. I feel like movies rarely have interesting 3d for the majority of the film. I want the big screen and booming sound system... thats all. It was perfect minus the glasses part for this

I'll see Boyhood eventually when it comes out for rent, but I have no idea if I'll like it or not, lol.

As for GotG however, I saw it for the second time last night and I liked it better the second time around. I noticed a few little things I missed the first time. This is just a wonderful movie, so fun and entertaining. Pretty packed theater too for a Wednesday night and showing in three screens no less. I may even go see it a third time!

Boyhood is fantastic. You just have to know that, like many other Linklater films, you're essentially going to be watching scenes from a life. There is a through-line, and the film is certainly not boring, there are a lot of laughs to be had. But the film doesn't follow the "hero's journey" in a way that many studio films, Guardians included, do. If you've seen some of Linklater's films like Before Sunrise then you'll have an idea of what to expect.

To keep things on Guardians, that helmet design looks too much like Dredd.

How? Apparently Boyhood is an amazing concept and idea and a great risk to take but they said it was boring as shit and very poorly acted.

They said GOTG was a well constructed movie.

How? Apparently Boyhood is an amazing concept and idea and a great risk to take but they said it was boring as shit and very poorly acted.

They said GOTG was a well constructed movie.

half in the bag is shit anyways aside from the hilarious plinkett 'reviews' (which are just really entertaining nitpicks)

i have yet to see boyhood. but going by gaffers and linklater's filmography i'm almost 100% certain they're wrong yet again.

y2dvd

half in the bag is shit anyways aside from the hilarious plinkett 'reviews' (which are just really entertaining nitpicks)

i have yet to see boyhood. but going by gaffers and linklater's filmography i'm almost 100% certain they're wrong yet again.

What are gaf saying that its boring or that it's amazing because I think most gaffers love Boyhood, including me. It's still my movie of the year.

No, it happens to be very well constructed and it doesn't exist to shit on anything. Last episode they talked about how much they loved the new Planet of the Apes, which falls in line with the meta score and reviews just fine. So there is no agenda against onyone. If anything Boyhood is the kind of movie they would love without question for not being a shitty, poorly made summer movie. However they though it was boring and poorly acted *shrugs*. I haven't seen it either but all of the reviews I've seen have been more of a review of the concept and idea of the movie, not the content.

I can understand people not getting Boyhood or whatever. It may straight up not be their kind of movie.

That being said, I loved GOTG, but Boyhood scorches the shit out of it in terms of movie of the year for me, no matter what any review about it being boring says. I'll fight that poorly acted argument to the grave, though. Hawke and Arquette in particular are phenomenal.

Neoxon

Just finished some updates to the thread since I found a computer that wasn't being used for LoL by my little brother.

I need that laptop sooner rather than later.

Just finished some updates to the thread since I found a computer that wasn't being used for LoL by my little brother.

I need that laptop sooner rather than later.

i'm lugging around some 5-6 lb clunker during college. it was cool at first but my fucking shoulders after every school day good lawwwd

i hope you're getting an air or maaybe macbook pro

Neoxon

i'm lugging around some 5-6 lb clunker during college. it was cool at first but my fucking shoulders after every school day good lawwwd

i hope you're getting an air or maaybe macbook pro
The Air lacks the Retina display & some of the extra horsepower, so I'm leaning towards the Pro.

Gallbaro

Banned
Going again for the third time tomorrow :eek:

I went once with a friend, took my wife on Monday night (she loved it) and now my 6 year old son.

My son asked who our favorite characters are and my wife replies, in all seriousness

"I like Sky Lord"

star-lord-top-5-reasons-why-chris-pratt-is-the-man.gif
6 year old son huh?

Film was great though.

No, it happens to be very well constructed and it doesn't exist to shit on anything. Last episode they talked about how much they loved the new Planet of the Apes, which falls in line with the meta score and reviews just fine. So there is no agenda against onyone. If anything Boyhood is the kind of movie they would love without question for not being a shitty, poorly made summer movie. However they though it was boring and poorly acted *shrugs*. I haven't seen it either but all of the reviews I've seen have been more of a review of the concept and idea of the movie, not the content.

"Boring" is the single laziest word to use in a film review ever, and any critic who relies on such a subjective word in a film review is an immensely poor critic, in my opinion. Describing a film as boring doesn't tell me anything about the film, it just tells me about the reviewer. They should be explaining and breaking down why the film lost them. I found Boyhood to be absolutely enthralling. I also found myself bored during much of Godzilla. Does that make Godzilla a "boring" film? No! I just have different interests in films than the folks who were really into Godzilla do.

6 year old son huh?

Film was great though.

Eh, it's fine for a six year old. I was raised very conservatively and this isn't really worse than Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, or Top Gun, all of which I had seen by that age.

Pachimari

Just saw it for the first time, and it wasn't a masterpiece or some marvelous work, it were still very entertaining, if not a bit cliche(?). Loved the whole atmosphere and love that there'll be a sequel. All the characters were great, with Star-Lord being my favorite.

I wonder if they'll meet with the Avengers in a movie in the future.

Son Of D

I have to say I really enjoy the soundtrack of this movie. Can't say I was familiar with much of it beforehand admittedly but I found it great and have added a few new songs to my library.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I have to say I really enjoy the soundtrack of this movie. Can't say I was familiar with much of it beforehand admittedly but I found it great and have added a few new songs to my library.

My gf has been playing the soundtrack nonstop since we saw it (she bought it that night). I already had most of the songs in my library but not all, still she wanted to buy it.

It's cool though, when she plays it in media player a picture of the cassette from the movie displays!

61XGrxy9TBL.jpg

Top Bottom