• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quenk

How does it get easier after the first? I'd have thought it'd be more difficult due to the amount of resources you use up crafting the first.

It's easier because you understand the process, get used to the farming, etc. After you do it for the first time, it's no longer some far off goal. It's like "I've done it once so I can do it again"

How does it get easier after the first? I'd have thought it'd be more difficult due to the amount of resources you use up crafting the first.

The first one was hard(Juggernaut), i did things all out of place, between Juggernaut and second Legendary 18months pass, I took almost a year off the game, but since then i have made 10 Legendary, some of them were stupid luck like tossing 3 random exotics plus Mystic Stone into the forge getting a pre, more crazy luck, while making Astralaria running low on money I got Colossus pre out of a champ bag in TD, sold it to complete Astralaria, Amalagated Gemstones are expensive, 7 of the 11 Legendary were farm, farm, farm..Dungeon/world boss train...

Violet_0

Banned
I'm really not a fan of the PvP mode anymore. First of all, it's often impossible to follow what's going on around you, especially as a (sorta) beginner. No wonder this never took off as an E-Sport. Second, I'm already getting tired of meta builds* after just six games (*some of which completely outclassed me, naturally). Won half of them anyway and still had some serious ragers in my team in unranked like it's some freaking moba, which puts the nail in the coffin for this mode. Gonna stick with PvE and WvWvW from here out on

reaper is reallly fun, though. I just need to figure out how I'm not getting solo'd in a couple seconds by melee engis or hunters, among other things

Drake

So I just got an ascended weapon from a doing world boss (Tequatl the sunless). Is this something I can count on to get ascended equipment, or is it pretty rare? Can you only get weapons chests, or do armor chests exist to?

leng jai

Teq can only drop weapon chests, Triple Trouble (the three wurms in Bloodtide Coast) can drop armor chests.

It's highly rng. You could get 3 in a week or go 3 months with nothing. Teq is a nice boss to do often though since it's a very easy 2g and something like 25k karma just for showing up and poking his foot a few times. Triple trouble isn't quite so brainless.

Shameful line from a former Teq commander.

I've not tried Triple Trouble since it came out. Is it still impossible to do? I'd love those achievements:D

There's a guild that does it every night 1h after reset - they tend to start setting up right after teq. EVOS is the one I went to when I was getting the achievements over the Christmas break, I've had success with LUCK and TTS as well. They always post in LFG so keep an eye out :D

Zeroth

I'm really not a fan of the PvP mode anymore. First of all, it's often impossible to follow what's going on around you, especially as a (sorta) beginner. No wonder this never took off as an E-Sport. Second, I'm already getting tired of meta builds* after just six games (*some of which completely outclassed me, naturally). Won half of them anyway and still had some serious ragers in my team in unranked like it's some freaking moba, which puts the nail in the coffin for this mode. Gonna stick with PvE and WvWvW from here out on

reaper is reallly fun, though. I just need to figure out how I'm not getting solo'd in a couple seconds by melee engis or hunters, among other things

PvP is fairly dynamic and relies way more on rotating and capturing points vs killing people. Plus unranked is a mess right now since most are on ranked for leagues. I can say that as someone who mostly plays ranked that ragers are rare (because games are so short that they rarely matter on the long run, compared to MOBAs).

And honestly, it will always be hard when you are starting out, because you need to learn your class and its matchups. It sounds like a lot of work but it pays off in the end.

I gave PvP a fair shot, but IMO it's fucking broken, even after 4 years it's a mess, I played a ton PvP in GW1 i actually loved it, but GW2 is WIP, completion date GW3..

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I hate how PvP shit bleeds into PvE though. You'd think with how they handled Torment being different from PvE to PvP, they'd learn their lesson.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoy the ranger bringing me back to the fun of gw1 when i played ranger :D.

Why did the gaf crumble alot did hot really split all you different ways

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really enjoy the ranger bringing me back to the fun of gw1 when i played ranger :D.

Why did the gaf crumble alot did hot really split all you different ways

Didn't people in general just not like HoT? A few people stop playing, the guild gets quiet, and the remaining folks leave for more active guilds would be my guess.

No content = no one playing.

I playing, but lately been playing X360 games, old games ignored for GW2.
Street Fighter V is busted for me, when i play off line the my FPS is 60 always 60, when i go online it's 15frames unplayable mess tried everything so instead of playing SFV, i am playing consoles games..

Vyrance

No content = no one playing.

Yea I've been playing in Black Desert the past few months. Just haven't been interested in coming back to GW2 at all. I just may even be done this time, lol.

If you guys haven't done it yet, you should demote me. If I'm still in there!

Hope you all are doing well though

Violet_0

Banned
say how do you proceed when you hit lvl 80 and want the right equipment/mastery points/unlock the elite specializations right away?

PvP is fairly dynamic and relies way more on rotating and capturing points vs killing people. Plus unranked is a mess right now since most are on ranked for leagues. I can say that as someone who mostly plays ranked that ragers are rare (because games are so short that they rarely matter on the long run, compared to MOBAs).

And honestly, it will always be hard when you are starting out, because you need to learn your class and its matchups. It sounds like a lot of work but it pays off in the end.

my main problem currently is that I run into a lot of builds that just seem to out-heal my damage (which really isn't low as a reaper, I believe) somehow while melting through my shroud and health at the same time - not like that tank ele build for example, which I can take down eventually relatively easily. Some melee hunters, a lot of guardians, a warrior build that probably relies on an elite skill (because I could easily solo them most of the time). I do quite well in the damage dealt category at the end of the game, can occasionally 1v2 squishies or some off-meta builds I guess, struggle with the controls (I might need a gaming mouse for this), but mostly I want to know where all the damn permanent heals are coming from, I didn't find anything like this for the Necromancer. I usually only end up with 30k health healed at the end of the match

Quenk

say how do you proceed when you hit lvl 80 and want the right equipment/mastery points/unlock the elite specializations right away?

It depends on what your goal is. High level fractals and raids would be easier to get into with meta builds. WvW would potentially be a different equipment set. Open world is really up to your preference.

For equipment, you can buy exotics from the Trading Post, use karma to buy them from merchants at the temples in Orr, craft them, do dungeons and then use those tokens to buy from the merchant in Lion's Arch.

For mastery points, you can look at the achievements page. Every achievement that gives a mastery point will have a symbol next to it. You can pick out some easy ones that way.

Unlocking the elite specialization fast is normally done through jungle hero points. Each of those give 10 instead of just 1. If you check the LFG, you might be able to find a hero point train which is a group of people going through and unlocking all of the easy hero points in the jungle. Getting them all through the HoT maps would require some masteries to be unlocked though so you'll have to get some core Tyria hero points if you really want to rush through to get your elite specialization.

Violet_0

Banned
For equipment, you can buy exotics from the Trading Post, use karma to buy them from merchants at the temples in Orr, craft them, do dungeons and then use those tokens to buy from the merchant in Lion's Arch.

I've got a full set of lvl 80 dungeon weapons from PvP rewards, is that enough to enter HoT? Or do I need a higher weapon tier? All the other equipment should be dungeon-tier, then?

Unlocking the elite specialization fast is normally done through jungle hero points. Each of those give 10 instead of just 1. If you check the LFG, you might be able to find a hero point train which is a group of people going through and unlocking all of the easy hero points in the jungle. Getting them all through the HoT maps would require some masteries to be unlocked though so you'll have to get some core Tyria hero points if you really want to rush through to get your elite specialization.
gotcha, that's what I needed to know

Zeroth

my main problem currently is that I run into a lot of builds that just seem to out-heal my damage (which really isn't low as a reaper, I believe) somehow while melting through my shroud and health at the same time - not like that tank ele build for example, which I can take down eventually relatively easily. Some melee hunters, a lot of guardians, a warrior build that probably relies on an elite skill (because I could easily solo them most of the time). I do quite well in the damage dealt category at the end of the game, can occasionally 1v2 squishies or some off-meta builds I guess, struggle with the controls (I might need a gaming mouse for this), but mostly I want to know where all the damn permanent heals are coming from, I didn't find anything like this for the Necromancer. I usually only end up with 30k health healed at the end of the match

What builds are you having problems with? Also, can you link yours?

As a rule of thumb, there are classes that have advantages versus others (for example, a Dragonhunter can range necros and deal some high damage, amusing the fact necros don't have many active defenses versus their tools). Part of PvP is also accepting you can't win against some builds, and in that sense your teammates come in to help.

Retro

I playing, but lately been playing X360 games, old games ignored for GW2.
Street Fighter V is busted for me, when i play off line the my FPS is 60 always 60, when i go online it's 15frames unplayable mess tried everything so instead of playing SFV, i am playing consoles games..

Well, I meant nobody is playing GW2 =p

Yea I've been playing in Black Desert the past few months. Just haven't been interested in coming back to GW2 at all. I just may even be done this time, lol.

Doesn't surprise me. The expansion model always creates huge gaps in content. If your goal is to keep players playing, the expansion model is the worst way to do it. It's even worse for GW2, because without a reliable influx of subscription fees, they have to keep players playing and keep them convinced that the future of the game is worth investing real money into via the gem store.

And that hasn't been happening for 6 months now.

Violet_0

Banned
What builds are you having problems with? Also, can you link yours?

As a rule of thumb, there are classes that have advantages versus others (for example, a Dragonhunter can range necros and deal some high damage, amusing the fact necros don't have many active defenses versus their tools). Part of PvP is also accepting you can't win against some builds, and in that sense your teammates come in to help.

http://i.imgur.com/wW0PS7U.jpg
rune of the fighter, berserker amulett, greatsword and axe/warhorn, sigil of ice, sigil of force

that's just what I came up with myself, I haven't checked any builds online and am likely not aware of a number of powerful synergies. "Your soul is mine" is probably the better heal, "Chilled to the bone" probably the better elite. "Rise" seems pretty strong, using "Suffer" to get rid of conditions. I'm currently a big fan of Spectral Grasp for closing the gap and chasing opponents. I thought Chilling Victory + Reaper's Might + Siphoned Power + Blighter's Boon would give me some decent self-healing but that does not seem to be the case

I really struggle with offensive builds that can heal themselves up constantly. A warrior or guardian will usually kill me at the start of the match when I have no life force, some of the better builds or players can solo me even if my shroud is charged while effectively walking away relatively unharmed due to healing/defensive abilities. I've seen guardians go against a group of 3, kill them and walk away with half their health

jukers are okay, with the greatsword/spectral grasp I can catch up pretty well and if they kill me I don't really mind, they just outplayed me. I'm a newb again in GW2 and struggle with the camera and controls and don't know most of the skills and builds

one thing I noticed is that there are a lot of necromancers in PvP

Zeroth

I'll break this in parts so it's easier to talk about:

http://i.imgur.com/wW0PS7U.jpg
rune of the fighter, berserker amulett, greatsword and axe/warhorn, sigil of ice, sigil of force

Power necro is not quite there in the meta, but you can certainly work with that you have here. Axe is important as a power ranged weapon, and greatsword is quite good for close range. I would consider using a cryomancy sigil over your sigil of ice though, since that offers a more reliable Chill source.

that's just what I came up with myself, I haven't checked any builds online and am likely not aware of a number of powerful synergies. "Your soul is mine" is probably the better heal, "Chilled to the bone" probably the better elite. "Rise" seems pretty strong, using "Suffer" to get rid of conditions. I'm currently a big fan of Spectral Grasp for closing the gap and chasing opponents. I thought Chilling Victory + Reaper's Might + Siphoned Power + Blighter's Boon would give me some decent self-healing but that does not seem to be the case

The issue is that Blighter's Boon relies too much on receiving tons of boons and as a necro you don't have as many sources to make it worth it. I would suggest Reaper's Onslaught here if only because you'll get more dangerous in shroud.

As for utilities, Spectral Armor is a good stun breaker and also can give tons of lifeforce, so I would take it over Spectral Grasp (its CD is way too big some what it does). "Rise" is a great utility because the damage reduction is real: it's strong and reliable. I would consider running "Your soul is mine" + Augury of Death for reduced shout CD and a lower CD on "rise".

I really struggle with offensive builds that can heal themselves up constantly. A warrior or guardian will usually kill me at the start of the match when I have no life force, some of the better builds or players can solo me even if my shroud is charged while effectively walking away relatively unharmed due to healing/defensive abilities. I've seen guardians go against a group of 3, kill them and walk away with half their health

Necros are always vulnerable at the start of a match, and in general teams will focus on you first because of that. You'll need to plan to survive while getting life force, using Axe for ranged pressure until it's safe to go into melee.

jukers are okay, with the greatsword/spectral grasp I can catch up pretty well and if they kill me I don't really mind, they just outplayed me. I'm a newb again in GW2 and struggle with the camera and controls and don't know most of the skills and builds

one thing I noticed is that there are a lot of necromancers in PvP

One recommendation I can give is that, although you may want to use your own builds, it's a good idea to look up what is meta so you can know what you are facing. Metabattle is a good site to look up such information, and it can also be used to get some tips on necro if you are interested!

Getting into PvP can be a bit overwhelming, but it's a great experience once you get a good grasp of your class and what you'll face.

Violet_0

Banned
thanks, Zeroth, I'll reconsider a number of things. I kinda wanna stick with power necro in both pve and pvp, it'd be a terrible waste to not use the 100% crit chance to full effect. Gonna check out Metabattle next time before I play pvp

just hit lvl 80, which of the Orr vendors sells the berserker set?

Boss Doggie

what's the cheapest weapon exotic to throw at the toilet in hopes of getting a pre? also are orr karma armor worth it for tossing in the toilet?

also aside from frostgorge week 2 and southsun week 5 what maps give off powerful blood?

Quenk

what's the cheapest weapon exotic to throw at the toilet in hopes of getting a pre? also are orr karma armor worth it for tossing in the toilet?

also aside from frostgorge week 2 and southsun week 5 what maps give off powerful blood?

It changes based on the day. Just filter in the TP and sort by price.

I don't think it's worth it. The karma armor that's worth throwing in the toilet is lower level leather/cloth so you can get the more expensive mats.

You can just check the wiki: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Special:RunQuery/Map_bonus_rewards_query

Boss Doggie

I don't think it's worth it. The karma armor that's worth throwing in the toilet is lower level leather/cloth so you can get the more expensive mats.

Ahh I guess the karma cost isn't worth it for throwing into the toilet to pray for a pre then.

Yeah I do the cloth karma. Been running out of cotton lately.

and generally the map level matches the tier reward right?

Quenk

Ahh I guess the karma cost isn't worth it for throwing into the toilet to pray for a pre then.

Yeah I do the cloth karma. Been running out of cotton lately.

and generally the map level matches the tier reward right?

Well you can't get a pre from throwing in armor so it's definitely not worth it if that's your goal.

Yup. The map level is a good indicator of the tier of rewards

Boss Doggie

Well you can't get a pre from throwing in armor so it's definitely not worth it if that's your goal.

wiki said there's a small chance, though I guess it isn't worth the risk

EDIT: weird, I plopped a bunch of lv80 exo weapons but I got a lv76 exo weapon

Quenk

wiki said there's a small chance, though I guess it isn't worth the risk

EDIT: weird, I plopped a bunch of lv80 exo weapons but I got a lv76 exo weapon

Where did it say that? For exotics, you can't mix weapons and armor in the forge and I haven't seen any mention of armor being able to give a weapon back.

For exotics you get back a level 75+ if the average of the inputs is 75-80

nan0

Is it worth doing the legendary collections up until the precursor (i.e. cheaper)? I have about 60% of the 3 gifts gathered, but since the prices for Leaf of Kudzu are at 900g+ now, I figured it might be cheaper to withdraw my (old) buy order of 650g and get it via the collection.

Quenk

Is it worth doing the legendary collections up until the precursor (i.e. cheaper)? I have about 60% of the 3 gifts gathered, but since the prices for Leaf of Kudzu are at 900g+ now, I figured it might be cheaper to withdraw my (old) buy order of 650g and get it via the collection.

It's cheaper for some of them (especially if you're willing to use your existing mats).

In this case, the leaf of kudzu is probably more expensive to craft because recent spikes in leather and wood prices. Try a site like gw2bltc.com or gw2efficiency.com to see how much it would cost for you to craft it

Stuart444

You know, it's really annoying how Anet have STILL not fixed the issues with getting disconnected (network error) during Story missions (and only story missions).

Seriously, having to redo so much because of them.

And then of course if you're doing the story as a party, you can't rejoin the party, the whole party needs to leave and redo the instance if one person gets disconnected because of these issues. No "you can rejoin this instance" or anything.

Bleh, starting to remember why I didn't finish HoT last time I played.

Boss Doggie

I wonder if I should just craft Dusk than save up money.

that 90 deldrimor is killing though, much more than the spiritwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom