• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm at the wood sink portion of the Nevermore precursor building mission of doom.

Oi.

that is why I don't want to do precursor crafting

I still wonder if you have both Twilight and Sunrise line, would their Part II collection be achieved by only doing one thing?

Pro

Can anyone confirm The Bifrost III Collection is currently bugged on the Light Gathering collections? I attained the Jade Maw Lens and put Charged Quartz Crystals in my inventory. But whenever I try and gather light beams from the enemies specified nothing happens. I activate the Jade Maw Lens on me which is good for 15 minutes at a time with Charged Quartz Crystals in my inventory and I get hit by the beam attacks from the enemies but I don't receive completion for the collection. I even spam the Jade Maw Lens right before the attack hits and nothing. I've tried on the Veteran Wind Rider in Brisban and the Infused Light Golem in Dry Top. Others on the map have not been able to get it as well. Sucks cause now I'm stalled on what has already been a lengthy process until Anet patches.

Pro

that is why I don't want to do precursor crafting

I still wonder if you have both Twilight and Sunrise line, would their Part II collection be achieved by only doing one thing?

No, when you turn in the items to the Master you have to select one or the other first. I asked the same question about Bifrost/Nevermore.

From Appletoasty:

When you talk to the Master Artificer you start the dialogue by saying "I'm working on crafting the Bifrost" or "I'm working on crafting Nevermore". Once you hand in the Basic Elder Staffs (or anything else for that collection) they're consumed and counted towards whichever collection you started the dialogue with.

Quenk

Can anyone confirm The Bifrost III Collection is currently bugged on the Light Gathering collections? I attained the Jade Maw Lens and put Charged Quartz Crystals in my inventory. But whenever I try and gather light beams from the enemies specified nothing happens. I activate the Jade Maw Lens on me which is good for 15 minutes at a time with Charged Quartz Crystals in my inventory and I get hit by the beam attacks from the enemies but I don't receive completion for the collection. I even spam the Jade Maw Lens right before the attack hits and nothing. I've tried on the Veteran Wind Rider in Brisban and the Infused Light Golem in Dry Top. Others on the map have not been able to get it as well. Sucks cause now I'm stalled on what has already been a lengthy process until Anet patches.

I know someone who just finished Bifrost III yesterday so I doubt it's bugged. Also, I'm pretty sure it's regular Quartz Crystals for it and not the charged ones.

Pro

I know someone who just finished Bifrost III yesterday so I doubt it's bugged. Also, I'm pretty sure it's regular Quartz Crystals for it and not the charged ones.

Uh...yeah I think you're right on regular Quartz Crystals. Doh. I'm an idiot. Thanks for the help though. Will try when I get home.

Quenk

Uh...yeah I think you're right on regular Quartz Crystals. Doh. I'm an idiot. Thanks for the help though. Will try when I get home.

No worries. When I did it, I had so much trouble because I forgot I hit Deposit Materials and put all my quartz crystals into material storage.

That was meee! Yeah, I just did all of the eye lens crap yesterday and it all works fine.

I had minor troubles with two of them though. For the wind riders, I went to Southsun and then Fireheart Rise but it turns out none of the wind riders in either of those places do the laser beam attack. There's one Veteran Wind Rider (emphasis on Veteran, the small ones don't do it) near [&BGMAAAA=] that definitely does it. For Light of the Ley Line, you have to go to a location and THEN use the lens... for all the other achievements I had the lens buff active and then got credit when I stepped into something, but this one you actually have to activate it while you're standing there. Shrug.

Pro

That was meee! Yeah, I just did all of the eye lens crap yesterday and it all works fine.

I had minor troubles with two of them though. For the wind riders, I went to Southsun and then Fireheart Rise but it turns out none of the wind riders in either of those places do the laser beam attack. There's one Veteran Wind Rider (emphasis on Veteran, the small ones don't do it) near [&BGMAAAA=] that definitely does it. For Light of the Ley Line, you have to go to a location and THEN use the lens... for all the other achievements I had the lens buff active and then got credit when I stepped into something, but this one you actually have to activate it while you're standing there. Shrug.

Cool. I can knock that all out tonight. Don't be selling Bifrost on the TP and driving down the price before I finish mine now :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No, when you turn in the items to the Master you have to select one or the other first. I asked the same question about Bifrost/Nevermore.

From Appletoasty:

Yeah I realized that the collections are specific. So I guess time to throw away that opportunity.

Violet_0

Banned
what's the general salvage kit guideline? I use fine salvage kits (due to price) for blues and greens and started selling most yellows on the TP because I recently noticed that you get a much better price for them than normal vendors. For exalted items, I guess you either sell them or keep them for the forge? Btw there's no other way to increase your bank inventory size but to pay for it? That tiny inventory space is ridicules for something that's shared across all characters

I also leveled up crafting on another character and noticed that some parts like darksteel dagger blades go for more than 30s per piece for some reason

Retro

what's the general salvage kit guideline? I use fine salvage kits (due to price) for blues and greens and started selling most yellows on the TP because I recently noticed that you get a much better price for them than normal vendors. For exalted items, I guess you either sell them or keep them for the forge? Btw there's no other way to increase your bank inventory size but to pay for it? That tiny inventory space is ridicules for something that's shared across all characters

I also leveled up crafting on another character and noticed that some parts like darksteel dagger blades go for more than 30s per piece for some reason

Salvage blues and greens, sell yellows (especially now that the prices have bounced back to the 30-50s range), sell / Black Lion Salvage exotics as they come (usually depends on the sigil / rune and stat comp; zerker stuff always sells, other stat configurations aren't worth more than the potential ectos).

Yes, only way to get more bank space is to buy it with gems. Never bothered me because you also have a ton of material storage for free (every MMO I've ever played forces you to use your regular bank space for that) and convenience / cosmetic stuff falls into the category of stuff I'm okay paying for.

Not sure what's up with the crafting components other than they might be part of a power-leveling guide. I don't think anything at that tier of materials is used in Legendary crafting, but I could be wrong.

Midtier crafting mats are used in large quantities for ascended and legendary stuff. They are not hard to get, but people use so much that demand outstrips supply.

I recommend making mystic salvage kits asap for salvage rares. Basic kits are good for masterwork or lower tier, carry 3-4 or buy a salvage-o-matic (they're amazing in a shared inventory slot)

Quenk

Salvage blues and greens, sell yellows (especially now that the prices have bounced back to the 30-50s range),

To add to this, you should sell rares if they go for above a certain price (price of ecto * drop rate of ecto). Master and Mystic Salvage kits are expected to give you .875 ecto/rare so you should sell rares if they're above ~45s

To add to this, you should sell rares if they go for above a certain price (price of ecto * drop rate of ecto). Master and Mystic Salvage kits are expected to give you .875 ecto/rare so you should sell rares if they're above ~45s

And to add to THIS: http://gw.zweistein.cz/gw2ecto/ ! It's mostly rare staves and greatswords that are worth selling over salvaging, because people like throwing them into the forge to hope for a precursor. Most rares you should salvage though, a lot of them are hovering around ~30-40s right now and ectos are going for ~50s.

Don't bother with the mid-tier kits - use a basic salvage kit for your blues/greens and mystic kits for your rares. The reason why you use basic kits are 'cause 1. basic kits are cheap and cost efficient, and 2. the basic kits only have a 10% chance of giving you rarer materials. At level 80 your gear will either drop T5 or T6 mats from salvaging (i.e. silk or gossamer, mithril or orichalcum, thick leather or hardened leather) and the price difference between T5 mats and T6 mats isn't enough to justify using a kit any more expensive than that. The reason why you use mystic kits are because you want the best chance of getting an ecto. The master kits and the mystic kits have the same %s for return but the mystic kits are in stacks of 250 and are cheaper per use.

For reference, salvaging with a basic kit is ~3.5 copper, salvaging with the higher kits is ~11 copper, 32 copper, or 61 copper respectively. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvage_kit

spiritfox

I think they call those fractals and/or dungeons

I actually would kinda like a casual mode for raids just for experience and learning the boss without a need to have an organized team. Just make it so the rewards are much lower and you can't get raid achs from them.

High level fractals without boon stripping are harder than raids imo

Ugh, I had a pug last night that was FOUR dragonhunters and me, a chrono. So much retal and protection. Zero reflects and condition clears. It was miserable. When I play my chrono in T4 fractals I feel like a janitor. Most groups don't even bother to bring boon strips/group condition clears. :(

I actually would kinda like a casual mode for raids just for experience and learning the boss without a need to have an organized team. Just make it so the rewards are much lower and you can't get raid achs from them.

It's an interesting idea, but I have no idea how that'd work. In the case for VG you're supposed to have 4 people on green circles.. would you just send 1 in an easy mode? 2? What about Sabetha cannons? Would they appear less often? Sapper bombs more often, flame wall less often? And if they did water it down so anyone could walk in and spend 20 minutes learning it, would it still be interesting? They weren't designed for smaller groups but they could maybe make it work. I dunno. It's not something that I personally want but I'd be interested to see how they would implement it.

spiritfox

Ugh, I had a pug last night that was FOUR dragonhunters and me, a chrono. So much retal and protection. Zero reflects and condition clears. It was miserable. When I play my chrono in T4 fractals I feel like a janitor. Most groups don't even bother to bring boon strips/group condition clears. :(

It's an interesting idea, but I have no idea how that'd work. In the case for VG you're supposed to have 4 people on green circles.. would you just send 1 in an easy mode? 2? What about Sabetha cannons? Would they appear less often? Sapper bombs more often, flame wall less often? And if they did water it down so anyone could walk in and spend 20 minutes learning it, would it still be interesting? They weren't designed for smaller groups but they could maybe make it work. I dunno. It's not something that I personally want but I'd be interested to see how they would implement it.

Hmm, I was thinking still 10 man, but lesser HP and damage. So at least the mechanics are the same. Anyway, just a random thought, not sure if it can even be properly done.

Hmm, I was thinking still 10 man, but lesser HP and damage. So at least the mechanics are the same. Anyway, just a random thought, not sure if it can even be properly done.

Oh, ha I was still thinking about Ash's 5 person raid comment I guess. They could definitely ease up on the mechanics to make it very easy. VG they could give more lieu time for moving the boss (which is easily the hardest part, without this the fight would be trivial), Gorseval they could lower his HP and make eggs easier to get out of if you get caught (although you can block/evade them now... it's already been made very easy from what it used to be), Sabetha they could do cannons once a minute instead of every 30 s and do the flame walls less often... etc etcetc.

I should try and do raids over the summer. I'm really surprised that raids have been so well received in GW2. I expected it would be a disaster given that Dungeons in GW2 have always been so divisive. I haven't enjoyed raiding in other games. Maybe I will enjoy it in GW2!

Quenk

I should try and do raids over the summer. I'm really surprised that raids have been so well received in GW2. I expected it would be a disaster given that Dungeons in GW2 have always been so divisive. I haven't enjoyed raiding in other games. Maybe I will enjoy it in GW2!

Raids are about as divisive as dungeons. There are a lot of people that think that raids don't belong in this game and a lot that really enjoy their addition.

If you have the time and put in the effort I think that raids are very enjoyable.

Retro

The 10 player cap is the reason why raids are difficult to organize, which is largely why people are so insistent on everyone being prepared (gear / research / build); to waste as little time as possible. Keeping it would resolve very little, but strip that out and all you're left with are over-tuned dungeons with arbitrary enrage timers for... reasons.

I'm gonna be pretty pissed if they start locking some LS season 3 content behind some sort of raid content.

Um, there's already Living Story lore being locked behind raids, the second one even has a minute-long video that talks about the White Mantle from GW1, and the next wing is supposed to have a whole city of them. When you point out how absurd it is that Lore is locked behind content that is inaccessible to a large number of players, the response is always some variation on "git good", "just join a completed raid," or my favorite, "just watch it on Youtube."

Gummy

Neo Member
Saw you guys talking about the Bifrost Collection, realistically how long does it take to craft a Pre/Legendary if you are a new player(not that I am, just curious).

Honest question, there was also story content "locked" behind the Arah explorable paths, which many players didn't bother with because it was the hardest PvE content in the game at the time. Was nobody complaining about that or did I miss it? There's some pretty interesting stuff in there.

In a world where raids do exist in GW2, would the people who have no interest in raids prefer that there be no interesting story attached to it? My understanding is that the lore in the raid isn't *the* living story, it's an aside related to what's going to happen next.

Saw you guys talking about the Bifrost Collection, realistically how long does it take to craft a Pre/Legendary if you are a new player(not that I am, just curious).

It's hard to say how long because I don't know how fast you're generating money and mats as a new player, but the precursor collections end up costing several hundred gold's worth of materials by the end. So... however long it takes you to make that much. It depends based on the pre/legendary you're going for.

It actually feels like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Maybe we really will finally get new Fractal content some time in the near future.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4n6nzu/internally_the_raid_team_is_lauded_and_praised/d42kvgj

Anet_Ben said:
I'll try to shed some light. As /u/Anet_Sean mentioned in the AMA three months ago, we were working on "Fractal Leaderboards" which ended up becoming much more than leaderboards. However, after getting pretty far in the process we realized that players did not want "Leaderboards", they wanted new fractals and fixes for the myriad of issues that fractals had. As a result, we decided to indefinitely suspend fractal leaderboards to fix the core issues in fractals and create new content. Since late January we have been working to improve fractals as a game mode while also creating new fractals. The current fractals team is quite new, and were unfamiliar with the core systems, so some time had to be spent learning the systems so that we could properly improve upon them. Now, the fractals team is ramping up and each month feels more productive than the last!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4n6nzu/internally_the_raid_team_is_lauded_and_praised/d42n3xs

Anet_Ben said:
There wasn't a full time team dedicated to Fractals before this team was assembled, and we inherited leaderboards from previous owners. The new team that formed was pretty passionate about fractals and decided that fixing existing issues and building new content was more important than leaderboards.

Retro

Honest question, there was also story content "locked" behind the Arah explorable paths, which many players didn't bother with because it was the hardest PvE content in the game at the time. Was nobody complaining about that or did I miss it? There's some pretty interesting stuff in there.

In a world where raids do exist in GW2, would the people who have no interest in raids prefer that there be no interesting story attached to it?

You answered your first question already; the only thing stopping you from advancing was the "hardest PvE content." Complaints were mostly about just how much longer it took compared to other dungeon paths. Raids, on the other hand, have content locked behind the logistics of getting twice as many players organized and boilerplate raid mechanics like enrage timers.

To your second question, if raids have to exist in GW2, I would prefer an accessible 5-player mode.

My understanding is that the lore in the raid isn't *the* living story, it's an aside related to what's going to happen next.

"Hey, the major villains of Guild Wars: Prophesies are alive and active!" is not what I would call "an aside."

Zeroth

"Hey, the major villains of Guild Wars: Prophesies are alive and active!" is not what I would call "an aside."

And that information is already outdated as of the current events stuff. Cant say raids offer any lore content that wont be explored in the upcoming living story, or that is essential to the living season.

Ashodin

And that information is already outdated as of the current events stuff. Cant say raids offer any lore content that wont be explored in the upcoming living story, or that is essential to the living season.

I feel like I'm missing info, though. Like if I had gone through the raid I would have better context.

Retro

And the gap between Salvation Pass (March 8) and the first bandit event (May 17)?

Wanderer5

Imagine if future elder dragon bosses gets locked behind raids, like Deathwing from WoW, through guess ANet already kind of did that originally with Zhaitan.

I guess we shall see what comes up in Living Story Season 3, but the forsaken thicket does look to be treated as a side thing, even if it a loose end from the original game.

Quenk

I guess we shall see what comes up in Living Story Season 3, but the forsaken thicket does look to be treated as a side thing, even if it a loose end from the original game.

This seems right to me. They said in the Keep Construct Design video that they're intention was to get new players that hadn't played GW1 introduced to and familiar with the White Mantle.

Retro

Imagine if future elder dragon bosses gets locked behind raids, like Deathwing from WoW, through guess ANet already kind of did that originally with Zhaitan.

There's a world of difference between grabbing 5 players for a story mode dungeon they'll only ever have to do once per character and getting 10 players for a raid that people want to get on farm status as quickly as possible.

And if Living Story Season 3 involves the Mursaat and the White Mantle (as the build up of events seems to suggest), then the lore locked behind raids is no longer "an aside," so we'll just have to wait and see.

They said in the Keep Construct Design video that they're intention was to get new players that hadn't played GW1 introduced to and familiar with the White Mantle.

So new players who hadn't played GW1 and don't raid are welcome to sit on it and spin, then?

A guild as large as GAF shouldn't have any issues getting 10 players together to play raids. One hour a night, two or three times a week, and you would immediately start making progress. I have a really hard time seeing the 10 player requirement as that much bigger an issue than the 5 player requirement present for other instances.

I've yet to hear about any real effort put forth to assemble groups or plan things out so people can attend. When we put together the dungeon events last year, we would have 20-25 people show up for two to three hours, every week. All it took was someone to say when and where. Everyone was really polite, and if we had extra people show up such that we were unable to fill an entire party, a dozen people would volunteer to let others participate in their place.

Name a time, find 10 people to fill a squad, go into the instance, and start killing things. People will figure out what they need to do to improve, either on their own or through suggestions from their squad-mates, and eventually bosses will start dying.

Stuart444

"just watch it on Youtube."

Pretty much what I'd do if it came down to it. I love lore and story. Not ideal way to experience it but if I have to... (a tuned to 1 - 5 people type of experience would help of course like Arah when it was converted from dungeon to what it is now but I doubt that will happen)

edit: and for anyone who goes "You don't have to, you can just play and do it" (didn't want to type this but someone usually wonders "Why can't they just raid, an hour or two every week should be more than enough" or something similar)

Don't have the type of time needed to. I play with my partner and we both have learning difficulties which makes learning this stuff takes longer and it's not easy to gather a bunch of people who are understanding and patient. Already had someone in a fractal not understand something (though they weren't mean about it at least when we explained but they couldn't understand the issue because 'matter of perspective' type of thing. - didn't break up the group though but fractals are nice and short content so it's not a big deal anyway).

Getting a group of people that won't rage after weeks of making small stupid mistakes (because of not learning as fast as others or something else like that) that others in the group aren't making as much anymore? Yeah, not easy to do.

It's one reason why I like the idea of story mode/normal tier raids in FFXIV (Alexander). Much more forgiving content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom