• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroth

I feel like I'm missing info, though. Like if I had gone through the raid I would have better context.

You would miss on story content for not doing raids regardless of what the story was. In this case, it's so insignificant to the main plot that it could be referenced as "a squad was caught on an incident and group of adventurers rescued them".

And the gap between Salvation Pass (March 8) and the first bandit event (May 17)?

It's a scheduling problem with living story content, not raids themselves. 5 months from now, people will be able to choose between the main story and doing the raid for a side-story, because the raid plot is that inconsequential to the main plot.

Stuart444

In other news, who is having issues logging in/DC'ing from GW2? Thread on Reddit and the official forums on it. Seems to be an ISP thing (someone on reddit said it may be Telia.net as that affected their work as well) as it's affecting more games than just GW2.

Quenk

Pretty much what I'd do if it came down to it. I love lore and story. Not ideal way to experience it but if I have to... (a tuned to 1 - 5 people type of experience would help of course like Arah when it was converted from dungeon to what it is now but I doubt that will happen)

edit: and for anyone who goes "You don't have to, you can just play and do it" (didn't want to type this but someone usually wonders "Why can't they just raid, an hour or two every week should be more than enough" or something similar)

Don't have the type of time needed to. I play with my partner and we both have learning difficulties which makes learning this stuff takes longer and it's not easy to gather a bunch of people who are understanding and patient. Already had someone in a fractal not understand something (though they weren't mean about it at least when we explained but they couldn't understand the issue because 'matter of perspective' type of thing. - didn't break up the group though but fractals are nice and short content so it's not a big deal anyway).

Getting a group of people that won't rage after weeks of making small stupid mistakes (because of not learning as fast as others or something else like that) that others in the group aren't making as much anymore? Yeah, not easy to do.

It's one reason why I like the idea of story mode/normal tier raids in FFXIV (Alexander). Much more forgiving content.

Instead of watching it on youtube, why not explore a completed instance. If you asked, I'm sure someone would be willing to open a cleared instance for you to explore and read the little tidbits scattered about. It might be more fun that way. The actual fights themselves have little to no story elements.

So new players who hadn't played GW1 and don't raid are welcome to sit on it and spin, then?

You don't have to be crass about it. They're helping out some players by doing it. I wasn't around for LS1 so I looked up the story when I started doing LS2 (before they added the recap). Maybe they'll do the same sort of recap once the raid is complete.

Wish I could say that regarding the raid group I am in :p, through we finally starting to get Vale Guardian down more frequently, and now tackling Gorseval some more.

Good luck with Gorseval! He's a tricky dps check but your group will be able to do it. And you've already made infinitely more progress than not doing the raid.

Wanderer5

Instead of watching it on youtube, why not explore a completed instance. If you asked, I'm sure someone would be willing to open a cleared instance for you to explore and read the little tidbits scattered about. It might be more fun that way. The actual fights themselves have little to no story elements.

That a really good point too. I had alot of fun exploring Spirit Vale one time after it was completed and there still some good lore stuff even with the instance done. I should get around asking for a completed instance of Salvation Pass.

Good luck with Gorseval! He's a tricky dps check but your group will be able to do it. And you've already made infinitely more progress than not doing the raid.

That what I don't like about him.<.< He seems like a great boss otherwise, but DPS check feels a bit stupid. I might have to end up getting full ascended armor, being the main PS Berserker of the group (thus the pressure lol). Luckily I have some other characters with some ascended armor that might not need them.

Wish I could say that regarding the raid group I am in :p, through we finally starting to get Vale Guardian down more frequently, and now tackling Gorseval some more.

That's great! As long as everyone is having fun and keeps feeling like progress is being made, it won't matter if it takes you a while to beat the bosses, it will just be that much sweeter when you finally get a kill. The raids won't be made obsolete by new tiers of gear, so they will always be something to aspire to succeed at, and you can be really proud when you finally do.

There are raid groups right now so good that they can beat all three bosses on the first day a new wing is released. My group takes almost two months to get good enough to do it. And a group like yours might take a little longer, but you will do it. Keep trying, and success will be inevitable.

Stuart444

Huh, that's certainly an interesting idea. Thanks! Though I'd still use youtube for the video (and just to watch the fights at least once. Or I could use Twitch for that haha :p )

Quenk

That what I don't like about him.<.< He seems like a great boss otherwise, but DPS check feels a bit stupid. I might have to end up getting full ascended armor, being the main PS Berserker of the group.

To be honest, I kind of like having to hit a DPS check. Instead of boss mechanics like "go here at x time", it's checking player mechanics like "dodge a knockdown" or "perform a good skill rotation". Full ascended armor shouldn't be necessary. Try calling out when to dodge knockdowns and eggs so you don't lose attacking time.

That a really good point too. I had alot of fun exploring Spirit Vale one time after it was completed and there still some good lore stuff even with the instance done. I should get around asking for a completed instance of Salvation Pass.

That what I don't like about him.<.< He seems like a great boss otherwise, but DPS check feels a bit stupid. I might have to end up getting full ascended armor, being the main PS Berserker of the group (thus the pressure lol). Luckily I have some other characters with some ascended armor that might not need them.

I have a completed instance of both wings that you can get into if you want to poke around. Hit me up in game if you want, appletoasty.7062 !

Ascended armor will make your life easier while you're still learning, but if you can play well enough it shouldn't be the only thing holding you back. The big turning point for my group was learning to dodge the slam knockdown and making sure we didn't get caught in eggs. When running him to the wall we found that we got a LOT more dps out if we had the tank run straight to the wall during the updraft part and have everyone else stick right to his butt and keep dpsing as he moves.

Stuart444

So 2 things:

1. The stealth evading dicks in Verdant can fuck off. Seriously, evade evade disappear, down, evade before I can kill to rally myself, kill me. Even worse when it's two or 3 against one. :(

2. The last two PoIs in Verdant are a bitch to get. One over Jaka near the heartless pass and one is near there, near the brooding gulch PoI.

Too difficult to glide to without the chopper, and even with the chopper, it's difficult enough. Only two PoIs I need to complete the map and I have to wait til it's night again because I fell a few times and missed the last chopper ;_; grr.

/mini rant.

edit; Guess I'll try again tomorrow. :/ since the next night time isn't til 12:45am here.

Wanderer5

I have a completed instance of both wings that you can get into if you want to poke around. Hit me up in game if you want, appletoasty.7062 !

Ascended armor will make your life easier while you're still learning, but if you can play well enough it shouldn't be the only thing holding you back. The big turning point for my group was learning to dodge the slam knockdown and making sure we didn't get caught in eggs. When running him to the wall we found that we got a LOT more dps out if we had the tank run straight to the wall during the updraft part and have everyone else stick right to his butt and keep dpsing as he moves.

By updraft phase, do you mean when he is charging up that huge AoE attack, or does the tank start moving him after you get the break bar down (like what my group does).

And sure, maybe if possibly tomorrow or Sat then, I'll asked for Salvation Pass.

Quenk

By updraft phase, do you mean when he is charging up that huge AoE attack, or does the tank start moving him after you get the break bar down (like what my group does).

And sure, maybe if possibly tomorrow or Sat then, I'll asked for Salvation Pass.

We have the tank move him right after the break bar goes down.

If apple isn't on you can feel free to message me Quenk.1068

The part when you have to break down the wall to take an updraft.

Wanderer5

So this was posted up a hour ago on the forums.

Hey there. I&#8217;ve been seeing some comments regarding the story and lore in the Forsaken Thicket raid, and how that fits into Guild Wars 2. We appreciate your enthusiasm! Just wanted to clarify a few things:

• It will not be necessary to play Forsaken Thicket&#8212;or any future raid&#8212;in order to complete Living World or expansion stories. Raids do not gate main story progress.
  • Raid stories can&#8212;and should&#8212;be thematically tied to Tyrian lore and enhance the game.
  • If any lore information from the raids is relevant to storylines in other content, we&#8217;ll make sure that information is also available in that other content.
  • Raids present story in a different manner than elsewhere in the game. They are not a replacement for Living World, expansion, or Personal Story.
  • Output from the raids team isn&#8217;t coming at the expense of other projects in development. Raids are made independently of Living World. We do communicate regularly with that team (and we share some resources and assets in both directions) but neither team prevents the other from doing its job.
  • The Forsaken Thicket story will conclude with the release of Stronghold of the Faithful on June 14.
  • Raids are not part of our Living World episodes; they are separate game elements.
  • More information regarding Living World Season 3 will be announced in the future. As always, content will be released when it is ready to ensure the optimal quality for our fans. Hang tight.

Well that should clear things up.

I tried to keep with the Sylvari aesthetics, but just not enough armor pieces i liked for Light Sylvari armor...

New Look

gw1984mlxs.jpg

Morokh

Too difficult to glide to without the chopper, and even with the chopper, it's difficult enough. Only two PoIs I need to complete the map and I have to wait til it's night again because I fell a few times and missed the last chopper ;_; grr.

If you have the updraft mastery you can get up there without choppers, although it might take a few tries.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So 2 things:

1. The stealth evading dicks in Verdant can fuck off. Seriously, evade evade disappear, down, evade before I can kill to rally myself, kill me. Even worse when it's two or 3 against one. :(

2. The last two PoIs in Verdant are a bitch to get. One over Jaka near the heartless pass and one is near there, near the brooding gulch PoI.

/mini rant.

edit; Guess I'll try again tomorrow. :/ since the next night time isn't til 12:45am here.

once you master Draft and unlimited Gliding you will be having fun

also I thought the stealth frogs are easy, it's the HAHAHA RANGED ATTACKS EVASION AND POISON POOL frogs are the annoying ones

Stuart444

If you have the updraft mastery you can get up there without choppers, although it might take a few tries.

That's why I said 'too difficult' since I've tried. More times than I'd like to admit. ;_;.

once you master Draft and unlimited Gliding you will be having fun

also I thought the stealth frogs are easy, it's the HAHAHA RANGED ATTACKS EVASION AND POISON POOL frogs are the annoying ones

Still need to learn Stealth Gliding but can't wait for that. Will make gliding around more fun in the higher areas. Still I'd rather not wait for that to finish off VB. Need one map completion for the item that goes towards the North Wind collection achievement. (I have 4 already, got Dust Loop from a dust mite yesterday even :D)

If they were just stealthing, that would be one thing, but "attack attack attack" and they go "Evade Evade Evade" is what gets me. Usually evading at a critical point as well :( (just before they die while I'm downed and praying to the 6 to rally me >.>)

The frogs I'm mentioning specifically btw are the two (or 3 if the other one gets aggro'd who is near by) next to the Mellaggan's Valor waypoint. Near the metal thing.

edit: btw question, is there any use for hero points once your specialization is maxed out?

edit 2: Finally completed VB. Found out there was an easier to get to the PoI chopper at Jaka (I had only seen the one at the pact waypoint until now). As for the other PoI, turned out it was a well hidden one, Temple of Ameyalli. I think I had walked past the entrance several times til I noticed an NPC going inside to it XD.

Well that should clear things up.

This makes me happy. Thanks for posting.

thank mr skeletal

doot

edit: btw question, is there any use for hero points once your specialization is maxed out?

Nope, until the next specializations are released anyways.

Verdant Brink is a pain in the ass to complete, so congrats. The first time I did it, I used more Teleport to Friends that I am proud of..

Stuart444

Verdant Brink is a pain in the ass to complete, so congrats. The first time I did it, I used more Teleport to Friends that I am proud of..

I had to use one or two I think and my partner had to use a few so yeah, I know how that feels haha. Still should be easier the second time hopefully.

Drake

Got 500 on my armor smith. Now the loooooong process of saving up mats for ascended armor. You know what's the worst about ascended armor. It's not the ascended materials, it's the goddamn silk scraps. 7500. That number is stupid high. It's going to take me FOREVER to get that many.

Got 500 on my armor smith. Now the loooooong process of saving up mats for ascended armor. You know what's the worst about ascended armor. It's not the ascended materials, it's the goddamn silk scraps. 7500. That number is stupid high. It's going to take me FOREVER to get that many.

Don't worry about the high number, it's going to take 30-34 days to make your armor...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
good fucking god those mystic coin prices

how come anet still hasn't done shit like trade spirit shards for coins

Pro

I need Shards of Zhaitan to work on crafting Bifrost. I'm thinking the Dungeon Frequenter achievement might be the best route to take on collecting these. The way I'm reading it is complete any 8 dungeon paths and choose a Bag of Shards of Zhaitan which contains 150 Shards of Zhaitan. Then repeat the achievement. So in theory I could run CoF Path 1 32 times and get all 500 Shards I need correct? Or 24 times for 450 and something else for the remaining 50.

Is running the Arah dungeon itself or WvW rewards tracks a more efficient option? Farming CoF Path 1 seems like it would be the quickest.

Quenk

I need Shards of Zhaitan to work on crafting Bifrost. I'm thinking the Dungeon Frequenter achievement might be the best route to take on collecting these. The way I'm reading it is complete any 8 dungeon paths and choose a Bag of Shards of Zhaitan which contains 150 Shards of Zhaitan. Then repeat the achievement. So in theory I could run CoF Path 1 32 times and get all 500 Shards I need correct? Or 24 times for 450 and something else for the remaining 50.

Is running the Arah dungeon itself or WvW rewards tracks a more efficient option? Farming CoF Path 1 seems like it would be the quickest.

The dungeon frequenter achievement doesn't work like that. You have to do 8 different paths to get it. Doing Arah with a competent group would be the most efficient option. You'd get 100 tokens per path.

The dungeon frequenter achievement doesn't work like that. You have to do 8 different paths to get it. Doing Arah with a competent group would be the most efficient option. You'd get 100 tokens per path.

Finding an Arah group ain't so easy, i completed Bifrost thanks to Dungeon Frequenter, I ran AC all paths, SE1/3, TA up/fwd, and CoF 1, then restarted it again the same day with All 3 paths of CoE, CoF p2, CM 1 2 3, and HoTw p1..I got what i needed in 2 days..without needing Arah..and Now i am starting to collect Arah armors.

Pro

Alright that's what I needed to know.

Finding an Arah group ain't so easy, i completed Bifrost thanks to Dungeon Frequenter, I ran AC all paths, SE1/3, TA up/fwd, and CoF 1, then restarted it again the same day with All 3 paths of CoE, CoF p2, CM 1 2 3, and HoTw p1..I got what i needed in 2 days..without needing Arah..and Now i am starting to collect Arah armors.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah I've heard finding Arah groups is not easy, nor is the dungeon itself.

Patch notes!

http://pastebin.com/wB8dzrRV

Things of note:
- Final raid wing (duh)
- WvW reward tracks are out of beta! There's a new guild upgrade for the War Room that gives +% reward track progress
- Daily WvW chests give potion of WvW track instead of exp
- Gift of Battle no longer purchasable, now at the end of a reward track
- Updated some PvP reward tracks to give more skins; Silverwastes track now allows a choice of any Carapace skin; each of the HoT tracks gives an option for their respective armor/weapon skins
- Fixed Mai Trin's bug where she ports herself into a wall on the other side of the room
- Amalgamated Gemstones have been added as an option to the Hero's Choice chests in HoT maps
- No new hairstyles. :(

Another thing of note that isn't in the patch notes: the new BLTC weapons are account bound on acquire and cannot be traded. :/

Also, unrest is spreading in Tyria. Dun dun dun

EDIT:
D0jgez1.png

:eek:

Wanderer5

Damn the new set looks kind of nice, but WTF account bound?!

And woah lots of WvW stuff. Holy crap WvW timer change.

Also the 3rd wing's map looks sick.

Spyware

I wouldn't be mad about the account bound BL weapon thing if ticket scraps replaced the boosters. Ten chests would be a guaranteed ticket, with RNG deciding if you get even more. But since that isn't how it works, this is a stupid change and I'm mad about it.

Retro

Another update, a whole lot of nothing.

I wouldn't be mad about the account bound BL weapon thing if ticket scraps replaced the boosters. Ten chests would be a guaranteed ticket, with RNG deciding if you get even more. But since that isn't how it works, this is a stupid change and I'm mad about it.

Been saying that since 2013. I already don't like spending real money for digital goods, but to spend real money on digital gambling? Nope.

If this is the way Black Lion Skins are going to go (the devs say it's just a "special" set, but I fail to see what makes them special or why every other BL set from now on won't be treated the same way)... well, that's just another reason to stop playing, isn't it?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Untradable-weapon-skins/page/2#post6201888

Reading this thread, we understand your questions and want to share a little information: This set is designed to be a special, exclusive set and therefore it&#8217;s a little different than most. There are a couple of other interesting factors that you&#8217;ll want to know: The set is available for one ticket. It will remain priced at one ticket into the future, so someone who wants it now doesn&#8217;t need to be concerned about it becoming unavailable or about it rising in price in the future. Other sets currently available are not account bound, such as the Cavalier Weapon Set which was recently released at a price of 1 Black Lion Claim Ticket and remains at that price now. In addition, we do intend to continue to offer tradeable sets in the future. If you&#8217;d like a preview of the new set, go to your bank wardrobe and filter for &#8220;Privateer.&#8221; We hope this answers your questions, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.
-Sarah

Sounds like a huge cop-out to me. What exactly about these skins are "special and exclusive"? They look pretty standard to me... but at least they're aware that people are pissed off and it's not intended to set a precedent (we'll see).

This feels like more of a "how far can we push them to give us more money" experiment than anything else

Anet back on my hate bandwagon for changing Gift of Battle with out telling us the changes were coming this week, you gave us one warning and nothing after that, that is some Capcom SFV level of communication right there..

Wanderer5

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Untradable-weapon-skins/page/2#post6201888

Sounds like a huge cop-out to me. What exactly about these skins are "special and exclusive"? They look pretty standard to me... but at least they're aware that people are pissed off and it's not intended to set a precedent (we'll see).

This feels like more of a "how far can we push them to give us more money" experiment than anything else

I guess it might be a good trade off if it stays 1 ticket (probably not), but yeah this does sound like a cop out. The skins don't really look that special and exclusive indeed, through I probably get the staff for my Rev with a spare ticket that I already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom