• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Lol. My mistake with the dodge. Was reading one line down in your screenshot :).

So dodge is sorted. The problem I have now is when I hold down rt the character dodges backwards. I think I like this but how do I get nameplates working?

RT = Dodge (hold RT to Show Nameplates/Show interactive objects on screen)
Hehe, I guess I should have been more clear about this in the notes.

So, Dodge is your RT button. It works like in any good action game (actually, I stole having it on RT from Bayonetta)- if you're not pushing any direction when you press it, you will dodge backwards. If you are moving in any direction (on the left thumbstick) when you press it, you will dodge in that direction.

If you HOLD it down, it will show nameplates as long as it is being held. You can test this easily just about anywhere (unless you are already showing all nameplates all the time by default, in which case it's harder to tell). If you want to Show Nameplates without actually using up a Dodge, you can jump and then hold RT.
Playing like this is really, really nice. Many thanks for all the effort you put into getting it working
It is great, isn't it? Really makes the game feel 10x better for me no matter what I'm doing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah. That makes sense now. Cheers Hawkian.

I wonder if the action cam is Arenanet's first steps into built in pad support.
NP!

And yeah, it definitely solves the biggest hurdle we used to have to play the game with a pad, which was that you had to trick the whole thing into constantly holding the right mouse button down and resetting the mouse pointer to a "center spot" (what is now the built-in "crosshair").

All they'd have to do for full pad support now is to actually allow you to map in-game bindings to Gamepad buttons and there are lots of open solutions they could use to do that. Fingers crossed!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I boosted a Mes to 80 for the expansion, but I haven't played this game in ages. Anyone got a pve build I can gander at?

Hellers

NP!

And yeah, it definitely solves the biggest hurdle we used to have to play the game with a pad, which was that you had to trick the whole thing into constantly holding the right mouse button down and resetting the mouse pointer to a "center spot" (what is now the built-in "crosshair").

All they'd have to do for full pad support now is to actually allow you to map in-game bindings to Gamepad buttons and there are lots of open solutions they could use to do that. Fingers crossed!

Your solution proves it can work brilliantly. A few mental adjustments and an hour or so practice and it's second nature.

Hawkpad Stuff

I'm trying it again myself now, but RT and RB aren't working when in Cursor mode, or map mode, in the way they should. Not quite sure what's wrong yet.

Nevermind, I'm a derp. Got it working, now to get used to it.

EDIT: Well, sort of. I can't seem to use WP's on maps.

I boosted a Mes to 80 for the expansion, but I haven't played this game in ages. Anyone got a pve build I can gander at?
Recently took my Mesmer through the endgame before remaking her, used sword/sword and sword/pistol with emphasis on damage through phantasms and mantra of pain. I think that's the standard build for Mesmer in PvE these days?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My babby necro is like 13 and so far I am focusing on the minion tab, just because it looks cool to have those creepy little dudes out fighting stuff for me. Is that a good plan for leveling or are there generally better/more recommended builds?

My babby necro is like 13 and so far I am focusing on the minion tab, just because it looks cool to have those creepy little dudes out fighting stuff for me. Is that a good plan for leveling or are there generally better/more recommended builds?

Minions for levelling a necro is a joy, and perfectly valid. It really depends on what you feel like. If you find yourself wishing for more damage, things to die a little quicker, then you might look into alternate skills. It's good to try all skills and weapons, since you'll swap between them as needs demand.

Hellers

Levelling 1-80 you can pretty much do whatever you find fun. Nothing is super hard. My necro levelled all the way minion and is actually having the easiest time in HoT of all my level 80 characters while still running minion. In HoT the trick is not getting punched in the face too often. Much easier when you have a load of critters running around getting punched for you :)

Ludovico

Trying the Xpadder setup, and for some reason my left click isn't working.
Buttoon config looks the same as the screenshot posted earlier, and I made sure all my keybinds were right, but holding going into cursor mode and hitting RB does nothing.

Is there an easy fix or would it just be fast to start again from scratch?

Buttoon config looks the same as the screenshot posted earlier, and I made sure all my keybinds were right, but holding going into cursor mode and hitting RB does nothing.

I'm having the same problem. I'm on Windows 10. It worked like, once, but then stopped after working once trying to open an item.

Ludovico

I'm having the same problem. I'm on Windows 10. It worked like, once, but then stopped after working once trying to open an item.

Windows 8.1 here.
Not a game breaker since it's a laptop and I have the mouse handy, just don't want to learn bad habits...

Welp, back to the game!

I just tried x on a wp on my map and it seemed to work ok for me.

Might just be something on my side. It works for a bit, but after a few Action Cam on/off toggles, and some moving around, it stops working.

Sometimes X brings up Hero Panel when in Cursor Mode, sometimes it clicks.

Won

Just wanted to chime in on the discussion with an anecdotal on my experience from yesterday. Last night was my first foray into HoT territory, being too busy the rest of the week (and even last night tbh) to delve into the expansion. Prologue was pretty standard stuff, similar to the instanced prologues from vanilla GW2: a group of new players achieve a "baby" objective before gaining access to the world and either continuing with story or exploring on their own. I opt for story, and right away run into a problem: the mission branches into two paths --
fortify the base, or save the prisoners.
I choose the former only to find out as the mission progresses that it appears to be bugged and won't proceed past a certain point. Thinking I had missed something, I exit then re-enter the mission, only to encounter the same problem; the linear path to progression is blocked. So, I end up taking the path I didn't want to take and complete the mission, and am told to earn the gliding mastery to continue the story; the game is somewhat vague on how exactly this is accomplished, but I assume that I do so by exploring and playing missions? Anyway, I star exploring and not far from the waypoint I am downed by a pack of mini raptors. My fellow GW2 players, being who they are, take the opportunity to run past my downed body, as the raptors are more concerned with finishing me off than they are with downing opportunistic players. Dead, I resurrect at the waypoint and decide to explore in the other direction, where I find a group of cool-looking tree-dwelling frog people... whose content appears to be locked behind another mastery that I can't access yet because I haven't completed the first one. Tired from a long day of working, somewhat frustrated, and having already completed my daily, I decided to log out.

Now, I've been playing GW2 regularly since launch, and last night's cherry-popping on HoT left me, well, not a fan of the bugs, gated content, and getting downed by mobs of pygmy monsters while players run by without so much as a glance. If others' experiences went anything like mine, and it was their first time with the game, then yeah I could see the low scores happening. User reviews are often snap judgements, and it doesn't take much for some people to sour on something.

Heh, I had a pretty similar experience. Just kept playing a little longer till I had to turn the game off in frustraiton. And since I haven't really touched the game in what by now can be counted in years, this wasn't a good first impression.

After having cooled down a bit things flowed a bit better, but I assume I got stuck with the "empty map" issue, so it continued a not so good experience.

At least the action cam/ground target snap with the steam controller seems to work out. Turned a combat system that I found unenjoyable into something that is actually somewhat fun!

* Patch Notes:

- Removed access to game's forums by making it look like our web servers are down after a hotfix patch rolling out. Those suckers will think the website is down because they're all trying to get to it at the same time. Ha ha.

~ Remember to remove these patchnotes when the webserver comes back up.

Retro

Anyone got patch notes?

Bug Fixes:

General
  • Fixed a server crash.
  • Fixed client crash.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the guild trader to not properly track purchase limits across multiple tiers.

Verdant Brink
  • Fixed an issue in which the Save Sylvari event in the Pact Encampment would not progress, preventing the event from properly restarting on subsequent day cycles.
  • Fixed an issue in which sylvari NPCs incorrectly excused during the Pact Encampment loyalties event could sometimes become hostile and unkillable, stalling subsequent events.
Auric Basin
  • Fixed a situation in the Skritt Rescue event that prevented Overseer Greal from spawning.
  • Fixed a bug in which players who disconnected from the Southwatch challenge were not removed from the event area.
  • Requirements to unlock the final room beneath Tarir have been changed and will unlock when the Battle in Tarir has succeeded.
  • Fixed a bug in which the Save the Pact NPC event chain stalled.
  • Fixed a bug in which the griffon in Griffonfall would become stuck as unattackable.
  • Fixed an issue preventing the Enchanted Armor transform from being removed when moved away from Battle in Tarir.
  • Fixed an issue in which Pact survivors would fail to respawn in “Rescue the Pact survivors trapped in debris.”
  • Fix an issue in which Adanich would fail to power Southwatch in "Clear Mordrem near Exalted mirrors while Adanich powers-up Southwatch.”
Heart of Thorns Story
  • Fixed an issue in which the Sign Cutting quest would not properly bypass the Mastery requirement for certain players. Additionally, fixed an issue with Rox’s markings not properly completing the quest step on interaction.
Guardian
  • Test of Faith: Receiving damage while crossing the threshold of this trap now has a 0.75 second internal cooldown.
  • Hunter’s Determination: Fixed an issue that caused this trait to apply aegis without respecting its cooldown.

Clearos

So I wrote a quick tier list for classes in PvP at the moment. Since I don't want a huge wall of text in gaf, I'll just link it.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Elite-specs-in-PvP-with-Tier-List/first#post5666029

Nice write up, from my experience I disagree on quite a few of them but as you stated it has only been 3 days so I think more time is needed for the dust to settle and people to learn counter to certain classes.

Yet to encounter any Zerk warriors.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Mikedip saw me.

bda7428f2e5819d803fb4b85396beb18.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Your solution proves it can work brilliantly. A few mental adjustments and an hour or so practice and it's second nature.
Thanks! Not surprised there's a bug here and there but it definitely feels pretty natural to me. Glad you are enjoying it!
I'm trying it again myself now, but RT and RB aren't working when in Cursor mode, or map mode, in the way they should. Not quite sure what's wrong yet.

Nevermind, I'm a derp. Got it working, now to get used to it.

EDIT: Well, sort of. I can't seem to use WP's on maps.

Left click seems to be X on mine when in cursor mode

I'm having this problem and I'm also on Windows 10. It's a shame, as I love playing the game this way.
Hey guys, I'm trying to correct this issue now. It seems localized to Windows 10 but it's definitely fixable. May need to work around by assigning LMB to something else but I'll keep you posted.

To be clear,

X is left click in Camera Mode
RB is (supposed to be) Left Click in Cursor Mode. In Cursor Mode X opens your Hero screen.

So as a quickie workaround, of course, you can switch to Cursor Mode to open a menu or whatever then switch back to Camera Mode (hit Back) to actually do your left clicking. But stay tuned for an update to this very soon.

explodet

What I learned today:

If you're doing HoT story instances with friends, be careful when you're gliding. If someone triggers a cutscene, the game will put you back into your normal non-gliding condition and you will fall, very likely to your death.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay! There may have been a simple fix, not sure if it will do the trick but it's worth trying! Can someone with Windows 10 using the gamepad solution please redownload the package: https://github.com/hawkian/Gamepad-Mode-Action-Cam/archive/master.zip

All you need to overwrite is the Guild Wars 2 Action Cam.xpadderprofile file. Remember to close Xpadder before you do this, then reopen it. Let me know if left clicking in Cursor Mode functions more expect now. You still can't click and drag, which I expected, but anything like clicking menus/waypoints/etc should work.

edit:

For non-complex interactions, for example repairing at an anvil or clicking the nearest WP if you can see it on your minimap after death (it gives you your pointer back when dead), I recommend staying in Camera mode and just using X to click. Cursor mode is best used when you want to actually open one of the menus, do some quick inventory management (deposit collectibles, consuming luck), or jump across the world on the map.

Morokh

Made it to the final story chapter yesterday, didn't complete it, cause it whooped my ass several times and I had to log-out to do something else for a bit, but going back to it made me realize something.

People have been all up in arms about chapter 14 originally requiring Itzel mastery level 4 but I feel like everyone's mising something much more important, and that is the fact that there is some kind of requirement missing before being able to start chapter 15.
Story spoilers of course :
So in chapter 14 you end up making your way to Dragon's Stand through the Chak tunnels, but from there, you can immediately continue the story, leading to Mordremoth's sanctum and Chapter 16, the 'Heart of Thorns'.
And you do this by entirely skipping Dragon's Stand, whose big meta-event is the assault leading to that place.
You even have one of the characters acknowledging that Mordremoth is 'too busy with the fighting elsewhere', but at this point there is a high change you've never seen any of it, personally I didn't.
The starting node of chapter 5 should be at least halfway through the meta even on the map or something, so that you actually experience some of it.
The character that lets you sneak past the fighting is a nice touch when you want to go there again and the meta is preventing you to, but the first time you should at least be required to participate in some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom