• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash3584

Chef probably, HoT has crashed the Rare market, prices keep falling every day, i would wait and see, let things stabilize first..

Use laurels for ascended trinkets, gear you like, then crafting materials to sell for gold. Not sure about crafting for gold, I know of some things that make money and they're usually components that others need to make something more expensive.

Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Old school Anet rapid-fire content tweaks. Nice.

I personally hadn't even gotten far enough to understand the depth of the progression complaints, so it all just sort of feels like gravy to me, but certainly doesn't bother me. I had encountered the perplexingly low-pop VB map issue- one in particular, after zoning out of an instance, was literally empty except for me, so I knew something had to be up. Really glad they're addressing that as well. :)

tiijj

Thanks for the responses!
I'm really glad you're saying Necro, as that's who I'm already using in VB. Staff and Scepter/Dagger. I built around those skills and also have it to where I automatically go into death shroud instead of downed state.

235 gold, 1.6 mil karma, 438 laurels. Lots of exos (and chests) stashed that I've just been afraid to equip from fear of "doing it wrong".

With those resources listed, would using karma still be the preferred path for outfitting?
And for pve, staff and scepter/dagger acceptable?

The only thing I have for using karma to buy armor/weapons is that you can't salvage them, if you want to upgrade to an ascended it's such a waste if the rune that you have in there is let's say strength rune which is around 60 gold for the set.

Anet recently change the wvw vendor where you can now salvage, you can purchase exotics for some silver to a gold plus some wvw badges. I tried getting some cheap blue karma item and I can't seem to salvage it, well not yet I guess. It might change in the future (or maybe you can salvage exotic karma items now, I haven't tried yet) but for now I would keep the salvage thing in mind.

Morokh

They really should get rid of unlocking skills/specs through Hero points or anything related to map completion then, or they will be faced with a similar issue around balancing how much it should cost at every expansion since we always end-up with excess points even if you're not maxed-out, and it only will get worse if they start piling-up expansions.

Hedge

They really should get rid of unlocking skills/specs through Hero points or anything related to map completion then, or they will be faced with a similar issue around balancing how much it should cost at every expansion since we always end-up with excess points even if you're not maxed-out, and it only will get worse if they start piling-up expansions.

I'm not sure why they didn't make it story-related. Just add an early part where your character learns of the specialization and unlocks the necessary hero points. No excess of points and it could be placed rather early on in the story, so you could complete the rest of the story as that specialization. Also, people who didn't want to do the story could easily unlock it for the rest of the content. I don't much see the use of Hero Points in the open world now that there are Mastery Points which serve the same purpose for exploration.

Glad arena net realize the ridiculousness of requiring 400HP to unlock specialization. I am also glad a lot of people did not simply shake their heads in agreement with arena net but protested it. Obviously not applicable to the insults some threw at arena net.

Mxrz

I see the DH whining has hit a fevered pitch. Woo. Recall getting laughed out of the room when I said I believed it was really good during the last beta. Suspect feedback from the masses is just bullshit in general. Whatever I can't beat is op, etc.

Not thrilled by the hero point changes. I liked the idea of it taking a while to work each class through. Not the end of the world, and some of my characters will be closed to finish before they start HoT. I do not see how you can ever have meaningful PvE progression when the apparent threshold is 24 hours after release. Doesn't it take weeks or months to unlock a new class/traits in most mmos? Thats what people wanted right, GW2 pve to be more like WoW?

Just seems to a tricky environment to deal with when people say they do not want something to require too much time, but then go sit in CoF for hours on end to farm xp for some mastery tracks that don't do much.

Old school Anet rapid-fire content tweaks. Nice.

I personally hadn't even gotten far enough to understand the depth of the progression complaints, so it all just sort of feels like gravy to me, but certainly doesn't bother me. I had encountered the perplexingly low-pop VB map issue- one in particular, after zoning out of an instance, was literally empty except for me, so I knew something had to be up. Really glad they're addressing that as well. :)

The problem with 400HP isn't that it cost that much but too many of the hero challenges were behind grind gated stuff, like needing updraft or befriending the Itzel, or Mushroom jumping all of these took way too much time to grind, and some hero challenges require full max mastery to get to, IMO just too much forced grind to get 200 more HP, i was turned off by it..

Fishious

I think it's worth noting from the tone of that latest Arenanet post that they don't really regret positioning the elite specs as rewards at the culmination of your journey, rather they acknowledge they didn't get this across well, what with them being unlocked from the beginning in the betas and never fully explaining how they would unlock. This leads me to believe next time that they will make the next set cost a lot and just do a better job explaining it next time.

I'm wondering if they won't attach hero point costs to some masteries in the future as a way of draining people's excess and giving them a purpose because right now mastery points look much more useful.

Hedge

I think a problem is also the fact, that the specializations are sometimes quite a deviation from the original class, that having to spend that much time to run around and unlock HP to unlock what you actually want to play.. seems counter-intuitive to actually having fun. I wouldn't mind having to do it on my Guardian, because I like the baseline Guardian!
But really.. I was dreading playing as Necromancer for so long before I could actually unlock what I wanted to play - which is the Reaper. I'm happy with this change.

Arcteryx

I think a problem is also the fact, that the specializations are sometimes quite a deviation from the original class, that having to spend that much time to run around and unlock HP to unlock what you actually want to play.. seems counter-intuitive to actually having fun. I wouldn't mind having to do it on my Guardian, because I like the baseline Guardian!
But really.. I was dreading playing as Necromancer for so long before I could actually unlock what I wanted to play - which is the Reaper. I'm happy with this change.

Pretty much the way I see it too and I'm REALLY excited for the change. This means I can easily test out some of the elite specs without having to sink a stupid amount of time into them.

PatzCU

I have some random questions about professions. I want to roll a new character for HoT as my warrior has been getting a bit stale and it seems they haven't been treated too well in HoT so far.

Do Revenants get some kind of movement speed bonus? The class looks like a nice mix between simple mechanics and added complexity to master.

Also - did Chronomancers get a spammable AoE button? I always though Mesmer was an interesting class but disliked how difficult it was for them get the most out of zerging events in open world PvE.

I was thinking of rolling Necro but it seems once the luster of Reaper wears off, it's still kind of a one dimensional class.

Mxrz

Mat prices all over the place. Cheap silk. Expensive low tier leather. 9g deldrimor (yay.)

I have some random questions about professions. I want to roll a new character for HoT as my warrior has been getting a bit stale and it seems they haven't been treated too well in HoT so far.

Do Revenants get some kind of movement speed bonus? The class looks like a nice mix between simple mechanics and added complexity to master.

Also - did Chronomancers get a spammable AoE button? I always though Mesmer was an interesting class but disliked how difficult it was for them get the most out of zerging events in open world PvE.

I was thinking of rolling Necro but it seems once the luster of Reaper wears off, it's still kind of a one dimensional class.

Rev's get a constant swiftness aura with the Herald, but that takes a long while to unlock in pve/wve. My Rev is making do with Shiro's impossible odds and blinks.

Don't let the meta/dungeon/fractal stufff turn you off Necro if that is the problem. Class has a lot going for it in pvp, wvw and open world pve. I'm not entirely convinced Reaper is better than celestial signet. Condition dmg seems more and more appealing in pve with all these super tough champions/challenges in HoT, too.

Arcteryx

Necro is mad fun in PvP/WvW, but yea, not the most enjoyable in PvE (at least for dungeons/fractals; open world isn't too bad). Give it a try.

As for Rev: yes, Herald has great speed boosts, and the base specs have access to some as well (plus the sword tele-to-mob ability). I'm enjoying it so far. It definitely feels easy to get into, but also feels like it has the potential for a high skill cap, but we'll see.

I think I'm going to try one of the following next: Druid, Chronomancer, or Dragonhunter.

Disappointed with how Guild Hall looks.

Haven't played since HoT announcement (avoided burnout and spoilers), so don't know what choices were.

Not what I was expecting out of Halls though, but maybe my expectations were too high.
(mah flying airshup fortress guild!)

Ashodin

Haven't played since HoT announcement (avoided burnout and spoilers), so don't know what choices were.

Not what I was expecting out of Halls though, but maybe my expectations were too high.

It's in a run down state because we built this city

we built this city

from rock and grawl

Is there a trainer in game for crafting, or does anyone have a good video guide on what to do early game? I just got back into the game since like 2012 and I had a level 10 character, and I am totally overwhelmed with the main city, the amount of merchants, all the ground to cover and public events.....ugh. I just hit level 14 off of just running around to random sights and vistas in the main city. I have ventured out back into the centaur territory to level up a bit faster since my next Personal Story isn't till like level 20. I've had the same equipment and weapon for it seems like a pretty long time and I'm playing around with I think they are hero points to build up powers. sheesh, I could use a hand.

Retro

Like Ash kinda said, they look rough because they need to be built up; eventually most of the ruined buildings will be repaired. We're planning to unlock the other hall for the Overflow guild, so in theory eventually we'll have both.

Also, one of them supposedly has a hidden airship, so...

Arcteryx

Hopped on my Ele I hadn't played in ages...wtf happened to the Fused weapon skin market 0_0

That staff I have equipped went from 150g to >3000g lol

Ashodin

Trying to do Jade Maw in 5 minutes is tough with an uncoordinated group.

I just trying to PUG it and some guy kept dropping into shroud instead of picking up crystals as a Necro :/

Ashodin

Bug Fixes:

• General
  • Fixed server crashes.
  • Fixed client crashes.
  • Fixed a crash in guild mission instances.
  • Changed the total cost to fully unlock elite specializations from 400 to 250. For players who have parts of the track trained, hero points will be refunded for the difference between the old cost and the new.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the client to appear frozen for extended periods of time when attempting to play a cutscene without having fully patched the game.
  • Fixed a bug in which some attuned ascended rings from the Mystic Forge were misnamed.

Verdant Brink
  • Fixed an issue in which the water dolyak in the cannon event at the Pact Encampment could sometimes enter a state where he could not be interacted with, stalling the event.
  • Fixed an issue in which Scout Acan would not acknowledge some players who successfully glided by him.
  • Changed bosses in the Nightthistle hero challenge in Verdant Brink to no longer be random.
  • The Coztic Itzel hero point challenge has moved to the location of the former Mordrem Flamerider hero challenge.
  • Turned the Mordrem Flamerider hero challenge into a commune point and moved it to the old location of the Coztic Itzel hero challenge.
  • Updated the hero challenge near Itzel Village in Verdant Brink so that earning it is more clearly understood.

Auric Basin
  • Fixed a bug that would give players achievement credit for Vinetooth even if Vinetooth was not defeated.
  • Updated the Toxic Bacon hero challenge in Auric Basin so that earning it is more clearly understood.
  • Fixed an issue preventing the chak lobber brood from spawning.
  • Players wielding Enchanted Armors who are inside the Skritt Challenge area when the auction closes will no longer lose their transform.
  • Fixed the Exalted at Westwatch and Southwatch who arrive at the beginning of Trial by Fire to play their scene and stand station at the challenges.

Tangled Depths
  • Removed experience from mushrooms in the “Collect spore samples and turn them in to Kott’s Assistant” event to prevent experience farming.

Heart of Thorns Story
  • Fixed a bug in which the Veteran Chak Blitzer in “Chapter 13: Buried Insight” was dying prematurely and not triggering a story cutscene.

Guild Halls
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Aetherium Boosts purchased from the influence trader from applying their full effect.
  • Removed the Badge of Tribute cost requirement from War Room Restoration 1.

Adventures
  • Fixed a bug wherein The Ley-Line Run had mismatching time thresholds between Daily and All Time.
  • Bugs in the Branches, Flying Circus, Shooting Gallery, and Beetle Feast adventures are now available more frequently.
  • Increased the threshold for gold, silver, and bronze in the Sanctum Scramble Adventure.

Ranger
  • Pack Alpha: Fixed a bug in which this trait was not applying its recharge reduction to some of the new pet skills on the Bristleback, Smokescale, Fire Wyvern, and Electric Wyvern.
  • Druid—Terminate Celestial Avatar: Updated description text on this skill.
  • Druid—Astral force no longer degenerates out of combat.

Necromancer
  • Reaper—Blighter’s Boon: This trait now only procs for boons you apply to yourself. Increased healing level multiplier by 25%, increased healing attribute multiplier by 330%.

Mesmer
  • Chronomancer—Gravity Well: Reduced damage of Final Strike by 20%.

Revenant
  • Infuse Light: Reduced the duration from 4 seconds to 3 seconds.
  • Phase Traversal: Added a 5-second recharge.
  • Crystal Hibernation: Increased the recharge from 20 seconds to 25 seconds.
  • Soothing Bastion: Increased the recharge from 20 seconds to 25 seconds.
  • Surge of the Mists: Reduced the damage by 15%.

Guardian
  • Dragonhunter—Procession of Blades: Increased the cooldown of this ability from 20 to 25 seconds.
  • Dragonhunter—Test of Faith: Reduced the duration of this trap from 9 seconds — the tooltip incorrectly indicated 8 — to 6.
  • Dragonhunter—Dragon’s Maw: Increased the cooldown of this ability from 60 to 75 seconds.

Thief
  • Deadly Arts: Improvisation: Fixed an issue that prevented this trait from recharging physical skills when stealing from an enemy.

HUGE list

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I am SO SO happy about the hero point cost reduction, all I've been doing is trying to unlock Herald and it has been sucking the fun out of the game for me, it was just too much. What made it worse is the fact most hero points are gated behind masteries, thus millions and millions of XP, if they weren't 400 wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad.

And I'm glad they acknowledged that there is in fact an issue with the mega servers, I figured there was as the new maps feel really empty a lot of the time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Scrapper is done. That was fast. Bleh.

Did you have points from map completion going into HoT? Because 400 HP via HoT alone feels anything but fast to me. My Warrior had 160 points straight away for Berserker, but my Rev obviously started at 0 and it has been a complete slog thus far.

Not too bothered by it at the moment as I'm just starting, but I hope that moving forward Arena Net starts to make crafting materials for scribing depositable under materials. Currently many odds and ends like inkwells and pouches of pigment are clogging up my inventory space.

Wanderer5

Meh should have been 300 at least, but whatever. Honestly part of the problem now is how it going to affect the next batch of elites, since now people are going to have ton of hero points left over.

Proven

Yeah... I was slowly building up in power for Berserker, and now I just have it. It feels... anti-climatic. I guess the good news is that the other characters with less map completion will finish quickly too, so I should go alt-wild.

My best guess is that down the road they're going to reduce the worth of each of Maguuma's Hero Challenges down to around 6-8. Especially with the WvW option, even if it ends up requiring some Tyria Hero Points it won't be impossible to get quickly. They may even wait until the next expansion to do this, but they will clearly state that they will do this at least a month down the line and tell people to quickly get extra hero challenges done so they don't lose out on hero points when it's all over. Then, on the day of the patch all of your masteries will

I need some tips:

What crafting profession should I master to get some gold out of it?

And what should I do with laurels? (Got like 120)

I think the one with the most demand is Weaponsmith (Greatsword and Hammer) or Tailor? Maybe Artificer? Just don't choose Scribe or Jeweler. Maybe not Chef either.

Of course, with the lack of arbitrage the trading post causes you won't really be making any money unless it's off of mats you were collecting anyway. And you're going to have to get to at least crafting level 400.

Arcteryx

Meh should have been 300 at least, but whatever. Honestly part of the problem now is how it going to affect the next batch of elites, since now people are going to have ton of hero points left over.

They will probably do what they did previously: cap the hero points you can carry over to the next expansion and convert the rest to spirit shards (or whatever they're called).

Finished the story!

My spoileriffic thoughts on the Personal Story in general below. Heavy, heavy spoilers.

The personal story is such an improvement over the original. It's still not perfect, and I think it may have been rushed near the end, but it's just so much better and hearing my character take charge and actually be involved helps a ton.

The final fight with Mordry was okay, but too long. ANet's encounter design has improved a ton. They're way better than they were at launch, but they still rely too much on damage sponges, IMO. You could have had the same basic fight with half or even a third of the life bar Mordry had (and maybe bumping his damage a tad), and had an overall tighter experience. Still way better than Zhaitan at the end of the vanilla PS.

Man, Trahearne got to me. And I didn't even like him in the original story. But it wasn't so much the character himself as it was the fact that he took the spotlight from my character. Seeing him in a proper supporting role over the living world and HoT story made me grow fond of the guy. Also, it was really weird that there was no epilogue. We fight Mordry, put Trahearne out of his misery, get a vague cutscene with no dialogue, and that's it. Really would have liked an epilogue to tie up the bittersweetness of the ending.

Overall, well done ANet. Massive improvement, and I'm sure it'll only get better.

Wanderer5

They will probably do what they did previously: cap the hero points you can carry over to the next expansion and convert the rest to spirit shards (or whatever they're called).

Guess that true and hopefully.

I kind of bitter that I unlocked Scrapper then now. I was so close and would had rather to finish it on my own terms.:/

Arcteryx

Apparently some of the HP challenges were changed too with the patch (removed requirements for certain masteries).

It will be interesting to see if they go one step further and nerf all of the group requirement ones to maybe have a longer time limit or something so they are solo-able.

spiritfox

Finished the story!

My spoileriffic thoughts on the Personal Story in general below. Heavy, heavy spoilers.

The personal story is such an improvement over the original. It's still not perfect, and I think it may have been rushed near the end, but it's just so much better and hearing my character take charge and actually be involved helps a ton.

The final fight with Mordry was okay, but too long. ANet's encounter design has improved a ton. They're way better than they were at launch, but they still rely too much on damage sponges, IMO. You could have had the same basic fight with half or even a third of the life bar Mordry had (and maybe bumping his damage a tad), and had an overall tighter experience. Still way better than Zhaitan at the end of the vanilla PS.

Man, Trahearne got to me. And I didn't even like him in the original story. But it wasn't so much the character himself as it was the fact that he took the spotlight from my character. Seeing him in a proper supporting role over the living world and HoT story made me grow fond of the guy. Also, it was really weird that there was no epilogue. We fight Mordry, put Trahearne out of his misery, get a vague cutscene with no dialogue, and that's it. Really would have liked an epilogue to tie up the bittersweetness of the ending.

Overall, well done ANet. Massive improvement, and I'm sure it'll only get better.

That was my main beef with the ending.
it was too abrupt, and no proper conclusion. It just feels like a lead up to Season 3, which is weird since we just KILLED AN ELDER DRAGON. Even the PS had a celebration at the end. I know that Trahearne was just killed, but we got rid of Mordy (for now?). Would it hurt to have some sort of ending?

Clearos

Almost forgot about the Hall of monuments. Hello 7th bday gift from the original guild wars.

Finally found a solid thief build that they are fun again in spvp. (D/P & P/P combo)

edit: Top of page, sweet jesus. I'm crazy enough to make another thief because I rather be human then a walking vegetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom