• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellers

Tonight`s plan. Configure my XBox One controller for GW2 goodness. Plan for December. Do the same with my Steam controller when that arrives.

Proven

So I wrote a quick tier list for classes in PvP at the moment. Since I don't want a huge wall of text in gaf, I'll just link it.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/pvp/Elite-specs-in-PvP-with-Tier-List/first#post5666029

Finally read this. Like another poster said, I don't 100% agree with your ordering, but your analysis is awesome and probably waaay more right than I care to admit. Thanks for sharing; it gave me some things to think about and maybe test. And yeah, reading further down the need to have a solo queue disclaimer brightly in the first post became apparent.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is there a way to be inverted in action cam but regular when playing normal?

I am using hawks controller thing and love it so far. I did make some tweaks to fit my playstyle though. And in xpadder I can do a rough thing in asking about for the inverted stuff but it's inelegant. Basically when my cursor is used (not in cursor mode, that's a different submenu) it's inverted too. This is fine for now though since I rarely am using the cursor in action cam, the only time it really comes up is after gathering.

In cursor mode I had to also disable the wasd switching back to mode 1 in xpadder since it would throw things out of sync. Only use the back button to switch those modes now.

Really wish there was a native action cam invert camera only option.

spiritfox

Finished the story.

Is it me or does the last part feel a bit rushed? You basically skip over the entire zone, and the ending was pretty abrupt, no conclusion, no afterwards, nothing. Otherwise, the story is pretty good, and it's cool to hear your character speak again. The fights are also decent, and you actually have to make use of CC for some of the battles if you want to win.

The final fight was boring though. I didn't go down a single time that entire fight even though the previous ones did down me. He was too easy to me, and felt a bit unsatisfying fighting him in that tiny arena by myself. I wish Anet actually made it into a raid, even though that would make some people upset, but more people and a larger arena would have made it more epic. It also didn't help that the story just ended like that.

Also I guess Season 3 will be about that egg and what happens to hatch out of it then. Since it's Glint's child I expect we'll go after Kralkatorrik next.

Oh and the music is the BEST THING IN THE EXPANSION HOLY SHIT

Taffer

How are we treating spoilers in here this time around? It looks like there's a fair bit more story than the standard LS episode in HoT so are we sticking to the standard week long embargo?

spiritfox

The more I think about it, the more it feels that the separation between the story chapters and the Living World hurts storytelling. This is especially obvious in the later chapters, where
they fail to acknowledge the map meta events going on in Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand.

I don't mean that we have to make people do the map events to progress the story (which has its own problems), but just a acknowledgement that something else big is going own while you're off doing your own thing. The only time that something like that even comes up is a single offhand line in the final battle. The final battle.

You go through Tangled Depths without even stopping to influence a single thing in the map meta, which I think is kinda important since it's the start of the major offensive into Dragon's Stand. And don't even get me started on how you just basically skipped the last map to suddenly, FINAL BATTLE. I was expecting to at least get a dialogue like "Commander, we've started preparing to assault Mordremoth. If you can spare some time please help in our preparations" or something like that.

But nothing. It's like there are 2 different stories going on in the same maps. And it hurts the storytelling. I feel like the early chapters managed to bridge the difference adequately, but the later chapters, nope.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there a way to be inverted in action cam but regular when playing normal?

I am using hawks controller thing and love it so far. I did make some tweaks to fit my playstyle though. And in xpadder I can do a rough thing in asking about for the inverted stuff but it's inelegant. Basically when my cursor is used (not in cursor mode, that's a different submenu) it's inverted too. This is fine for now though since I rarely am using the cursor in action cam, the only time it really comes up is after gathering.

In cursor mode I had to also disable the wasd switching back to mode 1 in xpadder since it would throw things out of sync. Only use the back button to switch those modes now.

Really wish there was a native action cam invert camera only option.
It's crazy that you were able to pull any semblance of inverted camera control off at all, kudos for that. I never planned for such a thing. :eek:

Proven

So uh... how feasible would it be to have a weekly meta event night? Where the guild heads to Maguuma Wastes or Maguuma jungle and try to max out a meta event bar while also helping guildies get achievements and such?

I haven't combed through every HoT map but ideas include...

Dry Top to Level 6
Silverwastes Labrynth to Level 3
Verdant Brink Security to Level 3

It'd be an every once in a while thing, like how we used to do a "storm the map" event back in the day. I remember Orr...

Also, did you guys ever do the Silverwastes Jumping Puzzle?

Morokh

The more I think about it, the more it feels that the separation between the story chapters and the Living World hurts storytelling. This is especially obvious in the later chapters, where
they fail to acknowledge the map meta events going on in Tangled Depths and Dragon's Stand.

I don't mean that we have to make people do the map events to progress the story (which has its own problems), but just a acknowledgement that something else big is going own while you're off doing your own thing. The only time that something like that even comes up is a single offhand line in the final battle. The final battle.

You go through Tangled Depths without even stopping to influence a single thing in the map meta, which I think is kinda important since it's the start of the major offensive into Dragon's Stand. And don't even get me started on how you just basically skipped the last map to suddenly, FINAL BATTLE. I was expecting to at least get a dialogue like "Commander, we've started preparing to assault Mordremoth. If you can spare some time please help in our preparations" or something like that.

But nothing. It's like there are 2 different stories going on in the same maps. And it hurts the storytelling. I feel like the early chapters managed to bridge the difference adequately, but the later chapters, nope.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Exactly how I feel about it as well, the early chapters do a good job at pacing the player and allowing you to explore at least a bit of the map you just entered with the Mastery requirements without being too much,
but with those two zones, it just falls flat and you rush through them.

Maybe that's why they had the Itzel level 4 mastery tucked in there in the first place.

Retro

How are we treating spoilers in here this time around? It looks like there's a fair bit more story than the standard LS episode in HoT so are we sticking to the standard week long embargo?

We discussed this amongst the officers and decided that due to the visibly of the thread on gaming side, we should keep spoilers hidden until the thread is moved to the community section... so, a month, basically.

Wanderer5

Lunatic Guard Outfit is up, along with the new dyes, and a ghoul backpiece/mini set. Don't think I can resist the lunatic guard heh, especially since you can dye the flames.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who can do that CoF farm for hours without multitasking or tearing their eyes out in boredom. After the first 10 minutes I connected my PC to the mini projector behind my bed so I could be half asleep while doing it. It really was just pressing 1 over and over.

I get the frustration a lot of people are having with the expansion locking content away in order to act as padding. Running to a hero point only to find out you need to be able to bounce on a mushroom to get to it, when you lack the ability, is frustrating because the game hasn't had anything like that previously. But tons of other games in other genres do things like that so I get it.

Watching other players get wrecked by the new enemies is hilarious. Four people should not get killed by two veterans that I could solo with a Mesmer. It reminds me of when the game first launched.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So uh... how feasible would it be to have a weekly meta event night? Where the guild heads to Maguuma Wastes or Maguuma jungle and try to max out a meta event bar while also helping guildies get achievements and such?

I haven't combed through every HoT map but ideas include...

Dry Top to Level 6
Silverwastes Labrynth to Level 3
Verdant Brink Security to Level 3

It'd be an every once in a while thing, like how we used to do a "storm the map" event back in the day. I remember Orr...
It's a good idea, seems like all of the HoT maps have complex metas that a guild could run the table with.
Also, did you guys ever do the Silverwastes Jumping Puzzle?
We did, was a fun night for sure

I don't usually get on voice chat, but I'll get on if the Guild Runs some metas. It would be a blast.

You can all hear my rich and pleasing baritone.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm not home someone please tell me how to get the crushed bone dye pleaseeeeeeee. I know gem store but is it random? Is it on tp too?

Is it lottery? Please don't be lottery. Please don't be lottery.

Retro

I'm not home someone please tell me how to get the crushed bone dye pleaseeeeeeee. I know gem store but is it random? Is it on tp too?

Is it lottery? Please don't be lottery. Please don't be lottery.

I haven't checked yet, but usually there's a dye kit you buy from the gem store and it has a chance to drop any of the new dyes plus some of the old ones. Rather than gamble, I find it's best to put in a buy order on the TP for them (they're not account-bound until consumed) and wait for the initial rush to die down and pick them up cheap. Very rarely does a new dye price stay higher than 40g (I put in a buy order around 25g and unless it's something stupid like Shadow Abyss I usually get it in a few weeks). Crushed Bone is sitting around 140g now though, which is stupid because it's not even a very good white, Celestial or even straight up White Dye would be better looking AND cheaper.

And for those who are curious, the 3rd Birthday Dye kit doesn't include the new ones, so for those of us who already had all the dyes, they're basically useless. Bummer.

Maffis

If I wanted to refund HoT, can I get my money back for the expansion without worrying about my main game being banned aswell? I haven't played yet but right at the moment I don't have time for this game which is why I regret buying it.

Soulflarz

Banned
If I wanted to refund HoT, can I get my money back for the expansion without worrying about my main game being banned aswell? I haven't played yet but right at the moment I don't have time for this game which is why I regret buying it.

You can refund HoT?

nataku

No idea. The only people who could probably answer that are ANet support. Just send them an email asking about it, but let them know you're not requesting a refund at the moment, just asking a question. It's not like they'll ban/refund/close your account just for asking.

Hellers

This is frustrating. Now for no reason my xbox pad has decided whenever I press A it's going to open my inventory while it's in action cam mode. Pressing space by itself just jumps as expected. Everything seems set correctly in xpadder (And I haven't made any changes anyway)

*Edit* Ah sorted now

Hedge

Anyone in EU experiencing DC's? Been kicked thrice tonight and just decided it wasn't worth putting effort into when I just lose progress. :/

You can refund HoT?

I did, so it is possible. But I'm not sure how likely it is now that the game has been out a while.

Arcteryx

The new outfit is pretty slick, just wish outfits would allow you to use your headgear too :(

Still...dyeable flames is a nice feature! Hid the helm and ended up with a pretty cool Death Knight looking Rev.

Ludovico

Let's say I'm a pretty casual player, but really want to experience the new content along with everyone else.

I have the following lvl. 80 characters, haphazardly equipped with gear I've picked up over the years (basically, no one has full exotics and I'm not following any coherent builds or rune/sigil stuff).

Necro, Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, and Thief.

If I wanted to go all out and fully commit to maxing one of these guys, would any of these classes be a BAD one to commit to? (Not even going into getting the specializations, but just basic pve play without constantly dying or feeling like I'm not contributing.)

Fishious

Let's say I'm a pretty casual player, but really want to experience the new content along with everyone else.

I have the following lvl. 80 characters, haphazardly equipped with gear I've picked up over the years (basically, no one has full exotics and I'm not following any coherent builds or rune/sigil stuff).

If I wanted to go all out and fully commit to maxing one of these guys, would any of these classes be a BAD one to commit to? (Not even going into getting the specializations, but just basic pve play without constantly dying or feeling like I'm not contributing.)

You should be fine with any of those, assuming you're good. Know that even as an experienced player, running a tanky reaper build I still die fairly often in the jungle. It's pretty much inevitable. Thief will have a harder time of it than the other classes though. More important than that though is actually playing the content and learning how to deal with the enemies and how to choose your fights. I avoid smokescales when I can because it's just not worth it.

You can outfit yourself in full exotic armor using karma at the temple vendors in Orr. There's several stat sets to choose from. Alternatively if you have some gold you can buy some of the less popular sets off the TP for pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure that Necro is pretty tanky, and using Karma to get you a good set of armor with some Vitality on it would probably do wonders in terms of keeping your survivability up throughout the content. Warrior and Guardian should also be good, but IIRC Necro should survive longer between decoy mobs and Life Force shit.

Ludovico

You should be fine with any of those, assuming you're good. Know that even as an experienced player, running a tanky reaper build I still die fairly often in the jungle. It's pretty much inevitable. Thief will have a harder time of it than the other classes though. More important than that though is actually playing the content and learning how to deal with the enemies and how to choose your fights. I avoid smokescales when I can because it's just not worth it.

You can outfit yourself in full exotic armor using karma at the temple vendors in Orr. There's several stat sets to choose from. Alternatively if you have some gold you can buy some of the less popular sets off the TP for pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure that Necro is pretty tanky, and using Karma to get you a good set of armor with some Vitality on it would probably do wonders in terms of keeping your survivability up throughout the content. Warrior and Guardian should also be good, but IIRC Necro should survive longer between decoy mobs and Life Force shit.

Thanks for the responses!
I'm really glad you're saying Necro, as that's who I'm already using in VB. Staff and Scepter/Dagger. I built around those skills and also have it to where I automatically go into death shroud instead of downed state.

235 gold, 1.6 mil karma, 438 laurels. Lots of exos (and chests) stashed that I've just been afraid to equip from fear of "doing it wrong".

With those resources listed, would using karma still be the preferred path for outfitting?
And for pve, staff and scepter/dagger acceptable?

docbon

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/heads-up-iteration-incoming/

We’re going to update the elite specialization unlock to find a better middle ground by reducing the cost of unlocking every possible ability for an elite specialization from 400 hero points to 250 hero points total. This means you will be able to access them much earlier in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns PvE or World vs. World and fully unlock them much earlier as well.

We’ve seen feedback that people love our new Adventure minigames in which you can compete for rewards, experience, and leaderboard standing with your friends. People like them so much, they want to play them more! We’re going to take another pass on adventure availability so you can play them more easily.

Finally, we’ve discovered a setting that was creating some lower populations in maps in the Heart of Maguuma than we’d ideally been looking for with our megaserver system. We’re really happy with the difficulty of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns—our players have asked for more meaningful challenge from Guild Wars 2, and we believe Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is bringing that—but having lots of players to play with makes that much more fun, so we’ll make sure you’re always in maps with numerous friends (and soon-to-be friends) to play with.

3Ts4dp5.gif
3Ts4dp5.gif

3Ts4dp5.gif
3Ts4dp5.gif

slash3584

I need some tips:

What crafting profession should I master to get some gold out of it?

And what should I do with laurels? (Got like 120)

I need some tips:

Use laurels for ascended trinkets, gear you like, then crafting materials to sell for gold. Not sure about crafting for gold, I know of some things that make money and they're usually components that others need to make something more expensive.

Fishious

Thanks for the responses!
I'm really glad you're saying Necro, as that's who I'm already using in VB. Staff and Scepter/Dagger. I built around those skills and also have it to where I automatically go into death shroud instead of downed state.

235 gold, 1.6 mil karma, 438 laurels. Lots of exos (and chests) stashed that I've just been afraid to equip from fear of "doing it wrong".

With those resources listed, would using karma still be the preferred path for outfitting?
And for pve, staff and scepter/dagger acceptable?

You have more than enough gold and karma to buy whatever exotics you want. If you want to use one of the stat sets available at the orr temples go that route (I was going to link it, but the wiki is giving me trouble right now). If you have laurels and commendations you can go for an ascended amulet, trinkets, and rings.

Staff seems like a good option as it hits multiple targets and has both fear and chill to help control packs of mobs. Dunno about scepter and dagger as I never run that combo. Seems more condition based so you need to think carefully about whether you want to run with power or condition based build. You'll likely want vitality as one of your stats as life force is based on it so you get more mileage out of it than other classes.

If you want you can look up meta builds, but I'd say it's more important to think critically about your stats, skills, and desired playstyle and come up with something that works well for you. You may waste a little bit of gold or karma re-outfitting if you don't get it right the first time, but you've got more than enough resources if you change your mind. And you can always go to the Heart of the Mists to try it out on the golem dummies first.

Fishious

I'm ok with the elite spec changes, but it raises some new issues. Now people who have Tyria and Maguuma map completion are going to have a ton of excess HP. Are the next set of elite specs going to be even more expensive as a result? The intended purpose of the original implementation and this new one seems to be that they want each character to earn at least a few points in Maguuma. Even if you have max HP from core Tyria you still need to do the new content. However now players can potentially have even more of an excess than before, so if the intent for the next set of elite specs is to do the content introduced with them they'll have to make the next set even more expensive.

Well those people will be ahead, they put the work in for all the HP...I don't see a problem with it, and it could be a long ways before they add new spec, a lot of players will catch up to those players...

I need some tips:

Chef probably, HoT has crashed the Rare market, prices keep falling every day, i would wait and see, let things stabilize first..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom