• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
After the patch I only lack 7 HP for my elite spec, tomorrow it is!

For those that have made ascended armor, should I jump on buying the rest of the bolts of silk I need for less than 90G? I want to say that's a good price but don't remember what it was last week...

For those that have made ascended armor, should I jump on buying the rest of the bolts of silk I need for less than 90G? I want to say that's a good price but don't remember what it was last week...

Do it. It was a lot more expensive. I think the silk prices will go up again in a while.

Wanderer5

Apparently some of the HP challenges were changed too with the patch (removed requirements for certain masteries).

It will be interesting to see if they go one step further and nerf all of the group requirement ones to maybe have a longer time limit or something so they are solo-able.

They took it too far didn't they? That just really silly with the mastery requirements.

Morokh

The problem with 400HP isn't that it cost that much but too many of the hero challenges were behind grind gated stuff, like needing updraft or befriending the Itzel, or Mushroom jumping all of these took way too much time to grind, and some hero challenges require full max mastery to get to, IMO just too much forced grind to get 200 more HP, i was turned off by it..

Don't forget that it's a tough ride on your first character only, with masteries being account-bound, the further you climb up the mastery tree, the easier it gets, especially if you come back with another character.

Arcteryx said:
Apparently some of the HP challenges were changed too with the patch (removed requirements for certain masteries).

It will be interesting to see if they go one step further and nerf all of the group requirement ones to maybe have a longer time limit or something so they are solo-able.

With the change they just made, removing the group requirements would be completely uncalled-for, labeling them better might be a good idea though.
Don't forget that you can do them daily, even if you have already completed them for hero-points, and you get a chest with map currency and some other loot, making them like regular events.
Should be incentive enough to get people that see one pop-up to stick around and help.

Personally the change to hero-points puts me in a weird spot, I'm now maxed-out with my Engineer, so with the story complete, I have nothing character specific to work for on this character anymore.
With everything left being account-bound, it basically feels like continuing playing my Engineer I'd be holding myself back on purpose, not playing another of my level 80 characters to start unlocking his elite spec, while making progress in everything else.

leng jai

They didn't have to nerf the HP challenges. What they needed to do was update them with info such as difficulty and masteries required.

Tarazet

Has anyone actually unlocked Herald? I'm having to start over on a new account since my old one was hacked, and I lost the email with the serial code. I'm about ~15ish hours into a Thief, but I've always been more interested in being tanky rather than doing the d-d-d-damages, so I'm thinking I might as well reroll while I'm still early in the process.

Tangled Roots map makes it seem like my character was shrunk to the size of an ant.

Keep getting lost in that map. Need to actually learn important landmarks because minimap is not very helpful.

Zeroth

Has anyone actually unlocked Herald? I'm having to start over on a new account since my old one was hacked, and I lost the email with the serial code. I'm about ~15ish hours into a Thief, but I've always been more interested in being tanky rather than doing the d-d-d-damages, so I'm thinking I might as well reroll while I'm still early in the process.

Herald is not quite tanky, at least not in the way you want it to. I recommend warrior since thats a good mix of tank and damage, plus it can teach you a lot about the game.

empyrean

Haven't played Guild Wars 2 properly in a couple of years now, can't login to my account and lost my serial key, emailed support but i was wondering now its free2play will i lose out on anything in essentially abandoning my old paid for game account and getting a new account and downloading the f2p version?

Rawk Hawk

I play Herald a lot in PvP, it's not overly tanky. Both Warrior and Guardian are more tanky, even Druid and Necromancer are probably more tanky. But it has a good mix of defense to damage (or at least did prior to updates last night, haven't really played it much since then to know).

Bug Fixes: said:
Revenant
  • Infuse Light: Reduced the duration from 4 seconds to 3 seconds

My invincibility!! Noooooo!!!one1!!

Hedge

Does anyone know where to get the light-something battlestaff skin? The one with the blue tassle?

Is it a random account-bound drop?

Maledict

As someone coming back to the game, with a paltry 50 gold to his name, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the SUper Adventure Mode staff skin I have seems to be worth quite a bit (250 ish gold?), as is the Lightning Backpack I got from another event (75 gold ish). Is it worth cashing in on them now do you think?

Earning cash in this game seems impossible for me, at best I can stay even by playing PvE. I think I die too much to ever earn a profit...

So, with dungeons being deincentivized, I wonder if ANet has any plans to make dungeon loot available easier or make the dungeons solo-able.

I'd really like the Honor of the Waves set, but I don't know if I'll be able to pug it in a reasonable time.

Also, does anyone know a good way to farm transmutation stones in PvE? Is map completion/personal story the only way?

As someone coming back to the game, with a paltry 50 gold to his name, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the SUper Adventure Mode staff skin I have seems to be worth quite a bit (250 ish gold?), as is the Lightning Backpack I got from another event (75 gold ish). Is it worth cashing in on them now do you think?

Earning cash in this game seems impossible for me, at best I can stay even by playing PvE. I think I die too much to ever earn a profit...

I've been making money by selling crafting mats. It actually seems more profitable to sell the mats than to craft items and sell those.

Hellers

I've been making money by selling crafting mats. It actually seems more profitable to sell the mats than to craft items and sell those.

That`s what I`ve been doing. First run through my stack netted me 140g. My most recent got me another 75. It`s surprising how much some of the low level mats sell for.

Of course I then go and spend most of it on gear but hey ho :)

Haven't played Guild Wars 2 properly in a couple of years now, can't login to my account and lost my serial key, emailed support but i was wondering now its free2play will i lose out on anything in essentially abandoning my old paid for game account and getting a new account and downloading the f2p version?

The f2p version has certain functions locked out, it's basically an infinite trial. Full list of restrictions is here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

If you don't like the skins you might as well sell them. SAB is supposed to come back at some point, so the skins might too, and then they'll be less valuable.

So, with dungeons being deincentivized, I wonder if ANet has any plans to make dungeon loot available easier or make the dungeons solo-able.

I'd really like the Honor of the Waves set, but I don't know if I'll be able to pug it in a reasonable time.

Also, does anyone know a good way to farm transmutation stones in PvE? Is map completion/personal story the only way?

Both of your problems could be solved by playing PvP :p. The reward tracks hand out transmutation charges like candy and the HotW track will give you 3 weapon boxes and 1 armor box per completion of the full track.

Cathcart

I took off on Monday to have a three day launch weekend and play a lot but I had all kinds of technical problems and hardly got to do anything until last night. The Mac client was never a problem for me before but it's a mess since the expansion so I ended up running Boot Camp and now everything is looking great.

It was really cool to see the elite spec change go in so quickly. Read about it during dinner and it was live by the time I got home. I didn't mind collecting to 400 HP for Zyra (who already had over 200 anyway) but I probably would have been annoyed having to get another couple hundred HP for my alts just so I could play around with the other specs.

I took off on Monday to have a three day launch weekend and play a lot but I had all kinds of technical problems and hardly got to do anything until last night. The Mac client was never a problem for me before but it's a mess since the expansion so I ended up running Boot Camp and now everything is looking great.

It was really cool to see the elite spec change go in so quickly. Read about it during dinner and it was live by the time I got home. I didn't mind collecting to 400 HP for Zyra (who already had over 200 anyway) but I probably would have been annoyed having to get another couple hundred HP for my alts just so I could play around with the other specs.

Hi come do fractals with me, I miss you ^_^

★ Jumping Puzzle Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 28 ☆

Event #10 - Griffinrook Run

Required Character Level: 1 (36 recommended)
Required Zone: Lornar's Pass

Recommended Waypoint:
False Lake Waypoint - [&BOgAAAA=]

This event will take place 30 minutes after server reset (8:30 PM EDT) on Wednesday night.

Around 10 minutes before the event, we will hop into Mumble and start collecting at the entrance to the zone to help anyone missing the waypoints. We'll get started as soon as everyone is ready!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ooh there's a jumpings puzzle tonight? :D
The whole shebang seems to be working perfectly now, thank you! Just gotta get used to it.
Glad to hear it! it definitely takes some getting used to but it all becomes second-nature eventually and IMO it's really worth it. The downside is that I'm legitimately gimped now if I try to use a mouse and keyboard (I used to joke about this in the first few months after launch, but now it's seriously true. Just feels crazy awkward to me if I'm not using the pad and I find high level content much more difficult without it)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just wasted so much time on the last fight, it's incredibly buggy. I won't go back until it's fully fixed.

Callunah

Neo Member
We should do a "Mastery Point" night... soon. where guildies who have already found them, can help those that haven't! (gliding, mushroom jumping, and updrafts as a pre-requisite of course)... just a suggestion!

That sounds awesome. Something we could do as a guild?

oktarb

I know this is odd but I'm waiting to play the expansion until after the Halloween celebration. I logged in and all the candy corn and pumpkins drove me away. Just wasn't in the mood for that so I'll wait.

I know this is odd but I'm waiting to play the expansion until after the Halloween celebration. I logged in and all the candy corn and pumpkins drove me away. Just wasn't in the mood for that so I'll wait.
Besides sometimes getting trick or treat drops from mobs in expansion, none of the Halloween stuff is in the expansion maps. It is as if it isn't actually happening if you stick to doing expansion story and maps.

You won't see candy corn nodes and Halloween doors in the expansion areas.

Elfstruck

We should do a "Mastery Point" night... soon. where guildies who have already found them, can help those that haven't! (gliding, mushroom jumping, and updrafts as a pre-requisite of course)... just a suggestion!

Yes! I would love a mastery point night, some of them are really mind puzzling :(

oktarb

Besides sometimes getting trick or treat drops from mobs in expansion, none of the Halloween stuff is in the expansion maps. It is as if it isn't actually happening if you stick to doing expansion story and maps.

You won't see candy corn nodes and Halloween doors in the expansion areas.

Damn you. Here I come up with a perfectly good reason to not get addicted and you blow it out of the water. You're probably a bomb specced Engineer. Just tossing out excuse destroying grenades willy nilly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great idea! I'll start focusing on my Thief again toward the end of the week to unlock those Prereqs at least.
Nothing here is final! Also looking for other people familiar with the zone to help lead.
Sweeet. I'm not familiar enough with the map yet but I can hope to become so by the night of this event and command one of the points.

Maledict

So, I went into a few low level fractals after not doing them for over a year and just coming back to the game to see what they were like now.

Firstly - confusing as hell. You get SO many different things that I have no idea what to do with. I have no idea if agony is still relevant early on, but am accumulating the small upgrades as I go.

Secondly - they seem incredibly nerfed iven the speed we were doing them at. The Ice elemental did his knock back and blind three times in a row instantly because he lost health so rapidly.

That may have been linked to my third point which is... chronomancer seems a bit broken in groups. I hate to wail on my own class, but giving the entire group 25 seconds of Quickness and almost permanent Alaricity seems rather on the excessive side. Blowing up time, casting all your spells, resetting time then casting them all again seems insane, and the group buffing potential is off the charts. Its just wells and massive amounts of pinkness as far as the eye can see.

Damn you. Here I come up with a perfectly good reason to not get addicted and you blow it out of the water. You're probably a bomb specced Engineer. Just tossing out excuse destroying grenades willy nilly.
I do main an engineer but I haven't been using Bomb kit lately.

zanyu

Finally read this. Like another poster said, I don't 100% agree with your ordering, but your analysis is awesome and probably waaay more right than I care to admit. Thanks for sharing; it gave me some things to think about and maybe test. And yeah, reading further down the need to have a solo queue disclaimer brightly in the first post became apparent.

I'm going to play scrapper more. I feel as if I just simply sucked on them and the people I saw play them didn't catch my eye.

A lot of people are hating on the daredevil. Maybe I just fucking love the daredevil despite some glaring weaknesses. At the moment I personally found a good mix of damage and CC, but you're mostly annoying as crap than anything.

I do a staff and pistol/pistol build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAqaWlsMhynY3Tw0Jw+ELIFlXMcD9AXDEALwc7X/9PA-TJBFABiXGggHAgO7PAwJAAA

*The runes I'm using for my armor though is scrapper. It allows me to be tankier when fighting heavier melee.

The point of my build comes from the idea of playing an old subtlety rogue in WoW. You kite, go back in stealth and reopen. The staff stealth skill is a 2 second knockdown. With the amount of stealths you have you continuously knock your opponent to the ground, 5 on staff is a good cleave with an evasion attached. Switching to pistols allow me to finish someone off with unload. I could maybe switch to shortbow or dagger dagger.

Right now I feel untouchable as long as I'm using my dodges with stealth correctly.

Been trying out druid more, they are insane in clumped up team fights. With minstrel, I was pull 1 million healing in some matches.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just pugged Octovine, an absolutely flawless kill as well.

Arcteryx

Fuck me...the salt over Nightfury recipe is INSANE. Why are people so upset about an item with a SUPER unique effect?

Did they think it would be free from grinding Mad King's Labyrinth?

Hedge

Fuck me...the salt over Nightfury recipe is INSANE. Why are people so upset about an item with a SUPER unique effect?

Did they think it would be free from grinding Mad King's Labyrinth?

I am only because Lindsey said it'd be a cool journey to get it. But it's just a crazy expensive unique effect. I thought it'd be something like the actual cool journey to get Mad Memoirs.

In the end I don't even want it - it's too flashy. I'm just disappointed everything has to involve drops drops drops.

Arcteryx

I am only because Lindsey said it'd be a cool journey to get it. But it's just a crazy expensive unique effect. I thought it'd be something like the actual cool journey to get Mad Memoirs.

In the end I don't even want it - it's too flashy. I'm just disappointed everything has to involve drops drops drops.

I get that part of it. That was a pretty poor way of saying how someone would get it (unless they literally meant "work" for it :p).

Hopefully, now that we have so many collections/precursor crafting, we can get more items that require similar approaches to creating them.

Ashodin

hg16JKQ.jpg

JADE MAW 5 MINUTE DOWN

- Last night, we did it with me, Mikedip, Epsi, Tyliout, and Humenkind. Kickass!

Aix0VjI.jpg

Impromptu VB Tower Defense group!

Do it. It was a lot more expensive. I think the silk prices will go up again in a while.

Thanks for the response! I couldn't remember what it was before but I went ahead and bought pretty much all I need. Now my big remaining obstacle is globs of dark matter. What's the fastest way to get exotics to salvage outside of buying them? I know what I'll be using those exotic chests I piled up for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom