• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Huge Revenant bug since the patch, all upkeep skills are randomly turning themselves off, this really needs to be fixed ASAP.

Morokh

Are they really going to pull the plug on Halloween next Tuesday ?
Not even two weeks, and at the same time than the expansion .... that would suck big time !

Hedge

Huge Revenant bug since the patch, all upkeep skills are randomly turning themselves off, this really needs to be fixed ASAP.

This has been going on for me since launch, though it has usually been triggered by dodge or weapon swap.

Maledict

I think I'm being really dumb, but how do you actually apply an agony infusion to the second infusion slot on an ascended ring? Everytime I try it just overwrites the infusion int he first slot that the ring comes with normally?

Quenk

I think I'm being really dumb, but how do you actually apply an agony infusion to the second infusion slot on an ascended ring? Everytime I try it just overwrites the infusion int he first slot that the ring comes with normally?

If you're talking about an infused ring, those don't take versatile infusions. Those need agony infusions

Proven

The news story on GW2.com says 'almost two weeks,' so Tuesday sounds plausible. I do wish we could get an official date though. Looks like I'll have to step up my bag farming game this weekend.

Same boat. I want to finish by Tuesday just in case, but I'm so busy this weekend I'm not sure I'm going to make it. Well, I can at least try to turn up for Mad King Says and finish the 1k Candy Corn Achievement using PvP with another hour or two of play. I just wish daily achievements counted towards the meta this year. I hope they don't keep with this pattern for Wintersday.

Ralemont

not me
Thanks for all the responses on the previous page. I have a really small guild so I'm not sure Raids will be all that appealing. What I liked about GW2 before Ascended Gear and Fractals was how easy it was to get the best gear which let you develop horizontally instead of vertically, and how you only needed a single party to get the best gear. This fed in well with how damn fun the leveling process was.

I think I'll hold off the new expansion until I can find a good deal for it. No subscription means the risk is pretty low even if I don't like it.

Wanderer5

Lol you can sell that chest of casual hero from fractals on the TP, and I believe another chest with the gold version of the weapons too. Well the weapons lost a bit of prestige there.

Proven

I never knew Nomad's was never going to PVP. Is there a specific reason for this besides being really tanky?
Yes, it allows for builds that are too tanky for the Conquest game mode. And for that same reason they've stated that they aren't putting Dire in either. Soldier barely passes, but Commander probably won't be seen either.

Hedge

Thanks for all the responses on the previous page. I have a really small guild so I'm not sure Raids will be all that appealing. What I liked about GW2 before Ascended Gear and Fractals was how easy it was to get the best gear which let you develop horizontally instead of vertically, and how you only needed a single party to get the best gear. This fed in well with how damn fun the leveling process was.

I think I'll hold off the new expansion until I can find a good deal for it. No subscription means the risk is pretty low even if I don't like it.

How small is this small guild of yours? Be aware that you need at least three party members to gain favour in PVP and WvW, which is a new currency needed to gain access to the Guild Hall. Guild Halls, in turn, need about 9 people to do the event on at minimum, though I'v heard of someone spending hours and finally beating it with 4 people.
If you don't get a Guild Hall, there is no reason to have a guild any longer, since you can't upgrade your guild, you can't make banners and also can't train the new Scribe profession without it.
You can - of course - still run guild missions.

forms

Has anything happened with the graphics? Also, what is mass pvp like nowadays? I never reached past 40-something... :(

Has anything happened with the graphics? Also, what is mass pvp like nowadays? I never reached past 40-something... :(

SMAA and Ambient Occlusion were added, and the new zones in HoT are complex and huge, unlike the "flat and wide" maps of the base game. By mass PvP if you mean World vs World, I heard it's in a pretty good place, if a bit underpopulated right now due to expansion content and Halloween content.

If you don't get a Guild Hall, there is no reason to have a guild any longer, since you can't upgrade your guild, you can't make banners and also can't train the new Scribe profession without it.
You can - of course - still run guild missions.

Which does kinda suck. My guild is there people, and we will *not* disband it. I wish Anet cared a bit more about small guilds. That 'Alliance' system was a good idea in GW1, Anet.

So, Steam BPM just got a new feature: touchpad mode. Basically, it lets you map the right pad to a grid, such as like a numpad, to use as keys. I built up a real quick config that took me no time at all, and is VERY easy to learn -- like stupid easy.

Essentially, I've got the right trackpad turn into a numpad when holding down the right grip button, and then I've got 1-9 mapped out just like a keypad, except that 1 is replaced with 0 (for Elite of course). From there I have Left click on my trigger, jump on my other trigger, and now I have my left pad freed up for movement, which works rather well. Overall I'm very happy with it, though I'll probably continue to tweak it a bit. LB for weapon swap. I'm now entirely on the triggers and pads -- literally the only thing the face buttons or control stick is used for is menu opening and scrolling. It feels very, very good, EXCEPT ---

that the touchpad feature is in total beta right now. Its behavior is sort of weird and inconsistent, and has a bit of a delay. It doesn't always register my actions. However, this is something that will likely be remedied in the next day or so, and will bring the Steam Controller to being damn near as good as M/KB in this game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Level 62 now. Almost there...

Every zone in this game is gorgeous, even generic jungle/snow/autumn zones.

SMAA and Ambient Occlusion were added, and the new zones in HoT are complex and huge, unlike the "flat and wide" maps of the base game. By mass PvP if you mean World vs World, I heard it's in a pretty good place, if a bit underpopulated right now due to expansion content and Halloween content.

Which does kinda suck. My guild is there people, and we will *not* disband it. I wish Anet cared a bit more about small guilds. That 'Alliance' system was a good idea in GW1, Anet.

At some point you have to draw a line. if you don't have more than 3 people then calling yourself a guild isn't really accurate.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Meet my revenant

9YoU7sK.jpg

Ashodin

Ouch: http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns

What do you guys think about this review? I was thinking about getting the expansion, but now I'm not sure.

This review is by a former GAFer. One who was banned probably for shitting up Halo threads.

He's also been known to only like World of Warcraft, an avid staunch defender of the trinity, and makes terrible comparisons to the game in general.

I wouldn't put much stock in it. I'm not even sure I could take it seriously when I read this quote from the review:

In-fact, most of the Heart of Thorns experience is designed to be completed in a group, which doesn’t work well given Guild Wars 2’s anti-social atmosphere.

When anyone who has played the game knows it's the most friendly social MMO out there.

Hedge

At some point you have to draw a line. if you don't have more than 3 people then calling yourself a guild isn't really accurate.

I never understood that position at all. Who cares if it's accurate? If people enjoy doing the content together and having a guild, then let them! It's just a game meant to bring people enjoyment. It impacts no one else in the world what two people do together in the game.
Especially since one- and two-man guilds have been able to get influence and banners before. They have quite simply removed content for these people and made a hard requirement of a Guild Hall.

Not to mention the requirement of a Guild Hall if you want to make the precursor to Flameseeker Prophecies.

What do you guys think about this review? I was thinking about getting the expansion, but now I'm not sure.

What an incredibly poor review. I mean, I myself am not too impressed with the expansion and would probably not recommend it to someone looking to buy, but that was simply terrible. "Anti-social atmosphere"? "Entire focus on new content"? And terrible sentences like "You won’t find yourself excited to progress through the Mastery tree, and you certainly won’t benefit in any way that retains your interest" just makes no sense at all. How does this person know it won't keep people interested? He even said, that content that "you're interested in" is gated behind masteries.. so how do people not benefit from it in a way that is relevant to their interest, if it directly leads to content they want?
Was this person really paid to create this?

Fishious

Are you a current or past Guild Wars 2 player? What do and don't you like about the base game? If you can tell us that we can probably help you more. The review seems ok, though I disagree with a lot of points.

Revenant's pretty good. I was surprised that they managed to make a new profession that felt different from the others without infringing too much on their territory. The new stuff isn't really "group content" in the sense that you need to find a party to do them (raids aside which aren't in for another few weeks and aren't touched on in the review). It's group content like all the other content in the game, that you benefit from having people around. Some of the large meta events need large numbers of organized players like Tequatl, but eventually most of this organization should be natural as people learn the events. Some of the Hero Challenges are currently very difficult and are best done with a few people, but that too may change.

The most egregious story gating through masteries has already been removed and some of the gating of Hero Challenges has also been removed. I find the new traversal methods added through masteries to be pretty great.

MMOs are living games and changes are expected, but a lot has already changed since launch last week. So just ask here if you have any specific questions.

Hmm, let's read this.

"In-fact, most of the Heart of Thorns experience is designed to be completed in a group, which doesn’t work well given Guild Wars 2’s anti-social atmosphere."

I laughed and guffawed loud enough for the other patrons at the restaurant to turn their heads.

Is guild hall 2 takeover tomorrow?
Would like to know this also, as well as whether we know what masteries will be required. I've got things to do this weekend but might still be able to sit down and play the expansion for an extended period of time, for the first time. It would help if I knew what I should be working on in advance.

I still haven't made it to the first guild hall.

Retro

can I get an invite to the guild? topper.8567

Just invited you, sorry for the wait.

Ironically, they've also hurt large guilds with HoT, as guild missions now only give credit to those directly participating. For example, we would normally run a Guild Rush and everyone who completed it would receive commendations; supposedly now only the first 15 people to complete it will. Normally we have about 30-40 people minimum for our guild missions, and with HoT out we've been pretty consistently near 80-100 players during prime time. We're not sure if it's an intended change to make guild missions more of a 'do it whenever' thing or what, but it would basically mean the end of our big happy Guild Mission Nights.

We're talking about what to do amongst the leaders / officers, since we're capturing the other Guild Hall this weekend instead of missions again it won't matter, but hopefully ArenaNet gets it sorted out or we'll have to come up with some kind of alternative.

I think he's off on a lot of points, personally. For example, when he says "You won’t find yourself excited to progress through the Mastery tree, and you certainly won’t benefit in any way that retains your interest." Could it be more exciting? Sure, some of the upgrades haven't been thrilling (stealth gliding seems like a dud so far, though maybe in the later zones there are places it shines), but the fact that you're getting ways to physically explore the world (a point the reviewer briefly mentions and then completely ignores to better fit his narrative) instead of just gaining 10 arbitrary levels worth of stats like most MMOs makes it infinitely more satisfying.

I'm not going to pick apart his review line by line, but there's a lot of red flags that he went in expecting the "Standard MMO Expansion" and ended up getting "Guild Wars 2.5." The biggest one is "Perhaps the greatest shortcoming of Heart of Thorns is its entire focus on new content rather than investing in improving the foundation of the game." Lots of people find GW2's different approach to be off-putting, and that's fine (there's dozens of WoW clones out there for them), so if you weren't already kind of on-board with the way GW2 works, you're not going to enjoy when the expansion expands on that; I think this reviewer kind of went in hoping it would change GW2 and that was never going to happen.

I do have to wonder what game he's been playing that makes him claim GW2 has an "anti-social atmosphere." I've spent more time in HoT around people than not, but maybe that's the point and he thinks GW2 was best played solo... but even then you're always forming informal groups with the people around you. I dunno what he means by that and he never elaborates so... /shrug

Fake Edit: Also, I just saw Ash's comments, and I totally remember that guy. Yeah, that review doesn't surprise me in the least if that's the guy behind it, in fact, I'm surprised it isn't more venomous. You're never going to get a good review of GW2 from someone with that attitude.
Fake Edit 2: I see I'm not the only one gobsmacked by the "anti-social" comment. Without any kind of context, it sounds like he's bitching that he can't solo everything.

Is guild hall 2 takeover tomorrow?

Yep, GAFO will be taking Gilded Hollow tomorrow. It will literally be a GAF Gold Guild Hall.

Would like to know this also, as well as whether we know what masteries will be required.

To participate in taking Gilded Hollow you'll need access to Auric Basin (the second map) and the exalted markings mastery. If worse comes to worst we can apparently mesmer portal people past the wall that has a mastery requirement, but I think we should have a hard requirement that people who want to participate *at least* have Auric Basin so we don't end up waiting 45 minutes like last week...

Gliding, updrafts, and bouncing mushrooms masteries will also be very useful but if you have exalted markings you probably have at least 2/3 of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom