• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would like to know this also, as well as whether we know what masteries will be required. I've got things to do this weekend but might still be able to sit down and play the expansion for an extended period of time, for the first time. It would help if I knew what I should be working on in advance.

I still haven't made it to the first guild hall.

To participate in taking Gilded Hollow you'll need access to Auric Basin (the second map) and the exalted markings mastery. If worse comes to worst we can apparently mesmer portal people past the wall that has a mastery requirement, but I think we should have a hard requirement that people who want to participate *at least* have Auric Basin so we don't end up waiting 45 minutes like last week...

Gliding, updrafts, and bouncing mushrooms masteries will also be very useful but if you have exalted markings you probably have at least 2/3 of those.
...I have basic gliding.

Fishious

Ahahaha, I missed that "anti-social game" remark in the closing remarks. I kind of wanted to give the reviewer the benefit of the doubt as opinions can vary greatly and he's entitled to his, but it's a very tepid review. It basically lists of some of the bullet point features and how he thought they were lukewarm. I thought it was kind of weird he didn't talk about any of the new zones and the events since they're really the meat of the current new PvE content. And I thought it was strange how he thought the expansion should have changed the core game, when its been changing for 3 years now. Ashodin's links to his posts do shine some light on this though.

I hope ACE 1991 comes back and asks some questions since I think we could do a better job giving an accurate picture of the expansion. While I myself and a total fanboy, there are enough people in this thread who have been critical of the xpac that I think we could give a pretty balanced assessment.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Would like to know this also, as well as whether we know what masteries will be required. I've got things to do this weekend but might still be able to sit down and play the expansion for an extended period of time, for the first time. It would help if I knew what I should be working on in advance.

I still haven't made it to the first guild hall.
Just press G and click "Guild Hall."
Yep, GAFO will be taking Gilded Hollow tomorrow. It will literally be a GAF Gold Guild Hall.
I just realized if we're planning to do it at standard mission time tomorrow night I can't make it cause it's halloween! I could do Sunday most likely. But if we have multiple officers that are going to be around to help coordinate tomorrow than I say go for it, and good luck!

I juuuust made it to Auric Basin last night (and immediately my game crashed, sorry Retro and Callunah :() so I'm not 100% sure I'd be ready for it anyway.

Retro

Cool I'll try and be on tomorrow, what time?

9pm eastern, but since it's Halloween maybe people would like to push it towards Sunday... in fact, I think that might be better since then our EU players and folks who can't usually make it to Saturday Night missions can partake... in fact, this may have been our original plan...

.... hmm.

Hedge

I really wish I could train my jungle masteries in Tyria. I want to do the Auric Basin scavenger hunts, but they require max level gliding. So I have to play around in content I don't like to get to the content I do like. Eeeh masteries are such a mixed bag for me.
I'm still waiting for the new personal story bug fixes, so I hope the story missions give good xp.

Retro

I really wish I could train my jungle masteries in Tyria. I want to do the Auric Basin scavenger hunts, but they require max level gliding. So I have to play around in content I don't like to get to the content I do like. Eeeh masteries are such a mixed bag for me.

No they don't. My brother and I did them earlier this week and all I had was Lean Techniques. He didn't even have that, but we managed to get through all of them. I used an experimental rifle for one of them (easy to get though) and a friendly random person showed us a way to bypass the Ley-line gliding one.

I would be happy to show you how to get that last one, the way up there involved some jumping and gliding but it wasn't anything I'd call difficult.

Hedge

No they don't. My brother and I did them earlier this week and all I had was Lean Techniques. He didn't even have that, but we managed to get through all of them. I used an experimental rifle for one of them (easy to get though) and a friendly random person showed us a way to bypass the Ley-line gliding one.

I would be happy to show you how to get that last one, the way up there involved some jumping and gliding but it wasn't anything I'd call difficult.

Really? Can you bypass it as intended? Because if it is an unintended bypass, my point still stands: it is required by design.
And I was pretty certain that the Exalted Masks required Leyline gliding for at least one of the masks.

Sadly I'm on the EU part of the server, but I will look around for how to get past it, then.
Scavenger hunts, collections and jumping about in jumping puzzles is like 80% of my gametime in GW2.

Maybe that's why I'm so poor.

Retro

Really? Can you bypass it as intended? Because if it is an unintended bypass, my point still stands: it is required by design.
And I was pretty certain that the Exalted Masks required Leyline gliding for at least one of the masks.

Sadly I'm on the EU part of the server, but I will look around for how to get past it, then.
Scavenger hunts, collections and jumping about in jumping puzzles is like 80% of my gametime in GW2.

Maybe that's why I'm so poor.

I dunno if it wasn't intended, but you just circle around up north and can glide to the rocks right above the ley-line section.

So thinking of getting back to gw2 now that XP is out. Only hit level 24 and just lost interest 2 years ago and now feel like starting from zero. Do I need to purchase XP now since I have base(its free now apparently) or is it best to hit 80 then get XP? Do I miss anything as I level up from XP?

Jira

So thinking of getting back to gw2 now that XP is out. Only hit level 24 and just lost interest 2 years ago and now feel like starting from zero. Do I need to purchase XP now since I have base(its free now apparently) or is it best to hit 80 then get XP? Do I miss anything as I level up from XP?

Just play the base game, only thing you'd be missing is the new Revenant class if that interests you. Then buy once you're 80.

I feel so slow in my progression. Still only have Lv 4 Mastery while I see 85+ people.

Just got the Itzel language thing the other night.
I really feel as though I must be doing something wrong, like there are ways to make that progress bar go faster that I haven't figured out. Tonight I thought I'd have updraft completed, but after a couple of hours I was only a little over two-thirds to a full bar. Meanwhile everyone is gliding and jumping from event to event while I'm getting left behind... that is when I'm not getting flat out lost trying to figure out how to get somewhere without the mastery content.

Morokh

I feel so slow in my progression. Still only have Lv 4 Mastery while I see 85+ people.

Just got the Itzel language thing the other night.

Most of the people that have an amount this high just spent a few hours in an extremely stupid borderline exploity farm, they didn't play the game as it was intended.

9pm eastern, but since it's Halloween maybe people would like to push it towards Sunday... in fact, I think that might be better since then our EU players and folks who can't usually make it to Saturday Night missions can partake... in fact, this may have been our original plan...

.... hmm.
I can assure you that it was in fact your original plan and also the one we'll follow.

Right?
Pretty please?

Hedge

What happens with your footfalls if you're dualwielding two legendaries? For instance Bolt and Frostfang?

I made Bolt yesterday to go with Astralaria when it releases, but I don't want Bolt to overwrite Astralaria's footfalls. :c

spiritfox

What happens with your footfalls if you're dualwielding two legendaries? For instance Bolt and Frostfang?

I made Bolt yesterday to go with Astralaria when it releases, but I don't want Bolt to overwrite Astralaria's footfalls. :c

I believe your mainhand takes precedence.

Hedge

Great retort?

Says arena net given their actions. So there is that.

Wrong. If you actually read what I replied to you, then you will still notice that a single person can still be in a one-man guild. Which makes a one-man guild by definition a guild given the mechanics implimented by Anet.
However, they have taken away features from these guilds that have been allowed for three years.

Small guilds are in a very odd place right now, because while they can make a guild, they cannot actually use it for some arbitrary design choices recently made.

Finished the story last night.

It is one of the main reason I was looking forward to the expansion but right now it's the lowest point of the expansion.
It felt like the closer we got to mordremoth the simpler the story got and it seemed very easy. lots of loose ends at the end, I'm really shocked malycks Sylvari were not in expansion at all, I hope they aren't just explained away by saying "Mordremoth corrupted them all because they were like the soundless".

Looking forward to participating in the new zone meta events. Auric Basin from last night was cool but I only got there for the Octavine stage.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Do you think it's worth buying the unidentified white dyes to hope for celestial? Or just buy it outright?
Also happy 🎃 you weirdos

Hedge

Finished the story last night.

It is one of the main reason I was looking forward to the expansion but right now it's the lowest point of the expansion.
It felt like the closer we got to mordremoth the simpler the story got and it seemed very easy. lots of loose ends at the end, I'm really shocked malycks Sylvari were not in expansion at all, I hope they aren't just explained away by saying "Mordremoth corrupted them all because they were like the soundless".

Looking forward to participating in the new zone meta events. Auric Basin from last night was cool but I only got there for the Octavine stage.

I haven't played the story yet (but got it spoiled thanks to people posting the entire content without spoilers on the official forums), but I've heard that supposedly Dragons Stand meta-event is sort of like an epilogue? Or some such.
Either way, I am interested in seeing how and where the Living World will pick up.

Proven

I haven't played the story yet (but got it spoiled thanks to people posting the entire content without spoilers on the official forums), but I've heard that supposedly Dragons Stand meta-event is sort of like an epilogue? Or some such.
Either way, I am interested in seeing how and where the Living World will pick up.

Haven't gotten that far, so this is conjecture, but that makes more sense. If you have the conclusion of the overall fight as a meta event, then the living story can be easily used to further what happens, maybe concluding in an instance or a post-fight map. Raids are going to be part of the post-story content as well.

Gothos

Man, I wanted to reroll Ranger but then I check out his elite class and I can't believe how far it is from the concept of ranged attack character like Ranger. What were they thinking...

Yeah, map stories, living world and raid stories is what I am looking forward to and hope that ANET uses them to answer a lot of questions the left unanswered in HoT Story.

Fishious

Man, I wanted to reroll Ranger but then I check out his elite class and I can't believe how far it is from the concept of ranged attack character like Ranger. What were they thinking...

That's kind of the thing with all the elite specs. They each allow the profession to fill a niche that they couldn't before. Ranger's have lackluster group support so they made a spec that is almost all support. So if you really like the way the base class plays you may not need to use the elite spec. And elite specs are considered horizontal progression, they aren't necessarily any better than the base class.

Also I spend like 70% of my time in melee as ranger. None of the professions in GW2 are solely melee or range.

Maledict

That's kind of the thing with all the elite specs. They each allow the profession to fill a niche that they couldn't before. Ranger's have lackluster group support so they made a spec that is almost all support. So if you really like the way the base class plays you may not need to use the elite spec. And elite specs are considered horizontal progression, they aren't necessarily any better than the base class.

Also I spend like 70% of my time in melee as ranger. None of the professions in GW2 are solely melee or range.

I think for most classes this is true. However, I think that for PvE the Chronomancer is basically a pure upgrade and practically mandatory for the Mesmer. Previously in pve the class had a really sucky role - using blink, portal and stealth to bypass content, and bring time warp so other classes could do stuff. Other than that you brought very low damage and no other real group buffs.

Chronomancer not only turns you into a proper offensive support class (with quickness and alaricity everywhere!), it also has talents that enable you to use your shatters in pve without crippling your sustained damage, and abilities that fill the obvious missing wholes in the class.

The Chronomancer doesn't feel like a different class for the Mesmer, like a lot of the elite specs do. It feels like it's a fixed and working version of the class as it was originally advertised for pve. I utterly love it.

Retro

After discussing it last night, we've decided to move the GAFO Gilded Hollow claiming to tomorrow's mission time instead of tonight. We felt like this would give people a chance to enjoy the holiday (several people said they wouldn't be able to make it) and to give our EU / Weekend group a chance to partake of a claiming event at their normal hours.

The Gilded Hollow claiming will now be Sunday, Nov. 1st at 3pm Eastern Standard time. Note the standard; DST is ending, so please remember to set your clocks back one hour before bed tonight if you are in the US!

Fuck me, I keep crashing in meta events.

I had a lot of crashes when doing Taco a while back, so I got into the habit of setting my graphics lower. Not sure which setting did it, but it worked. You could try that, see if you make it through without crashing, and then tweak each graphic setting until you find the one that's doing it?

I think it's actually a great move, and adds some thematic diversity to the game; Rangers already had a "Nature Magic" trait line, so this seems like it expands on that concept. In fact, that's pretty much exactly what I was hoping Elite Specs would be; take one subtle/minor aspect of a profession and amplify it. For example, Warriors had a few "Berserker"-themed skills, their elite spec expands on that, Mesmers had a few time-themed skills (Time Warp, Temporal Curtain) so Chronomancer makes sense. There's a few that really don't fit (where Dragonhunter comes from in Guardian, I can't say, and Elementalist is just... /shrug), but that seems like the direction they're taking.

I think it's fantastic that ArenaNet has a game where you can mix things up with melee casters (d/d ele), magic-using melee classes (guardian, revenant), a class built around illusions, etc. I'm looking forward to future elite specs with all sorts of weird shit like healing necros (Open "Vanguard: Saga of Heroes" > Select "Blood Mage" > Copy > Open "Guild Wars 2" > Paste) or shape-shifting Mesmers or minion-summoning Warriors. Anything is better than the usual warrior / wizard / rogue template most MMOs follow.

Press the glider button a tiny bit before you think you need to, will help you from crashing
7ReH6hO.gif

Agreed... had fun last night hanging out with you, Retro, and Drag while poking around checking out some of that map! Thanks again!

Yep, was quite fun to run around with you guys.

Fishious

I think for most classes this is true. However, I think that for PvE the Chronomancer is basically a pure upgrade and practically mandatory for the Mesmer. Previously in pve the class had a really sucky role - using blink, portal and stealth to bypass content, and bring time warp so other classes could do stuff. Other than that you brought very low damage and no other real group buffs.

Chronomancer not only turns you into a proper offensive support class (with quickness and alaricity everywhere!), it also has talents that enable you to use your shatters in pve without crippling your sustained damage, and abilities that fill the obvious missing wholes in the class.

The Chronomancer doesn't feel like a different class for the Mesmer, like a lot of the elite specs do. It feels like it's a fixed and working version of the class as it was originally advertised for pve. I utterly love it.

True enough. There's also the fact that none of the elite specs are perfectly balanced with each other or against each base profession. Then there's the general meta and what is considered useful so you will wind up with cases where certain elite specs are preferred because they allow the profession to fit one of those roles. Druid is in a weird spot because healing support isn't especially valued right now. I think its usefulness in PvE will likely hinge on raids and its utility there. And if it is useful Anet has to tiptoe that line between useful and mandatory. It's possible it may wind up being a dud in PvE, but find a place in PvP and WvW.

Taffer

I'm looking forward to future elite specs with all sorts of weird shit like healing necros

It's all about manipulating Life Force (playing with dead things is a bonus, not the focus), what could be healier than that? Have some Life Force friends -> now you are healthy again.

I think ANET should invest on figuring out a way to make elder deagon fights a big world boss or a raid instance because the 5 man story instances which can be soloed are not satisfying for something that should be a very difficult and epic fight.

Or 5 man instances can be epic but besides the music, ANET has yet to figure out how to do that.

The problem might also be that ANET is trying so hard to make the player character the big/best hero of the story.

Zeroth

Druid utility is directly tied to the difficulty of content. I think it's safe to say that hard content, like the later HoT maps, will be a great opportunity to use a druid. It doesn't have to be just tied to raids.

Hedge

I think Rangers have such a wide range of possibilities for future elite specs. But to be honest, I was rather disappointed that their healing spec was not revolving around actual druids. I mean, you turn into a celestial avatar, but they call the spec a druid? Eeeh.
I wonder if we'll get a spec for rangers that let them be close-quarters.. but I don't think there are any melee weapons left for rangers to get? Aside from like.. a shield.

I think Rangers have such a wide range of possibilities for future elite specs. But to be honest, I was rather disappointed that their healing spec was not revolving around actual druids. I mean, you turn into a celestial avatar, but they call the spec a druid? Eeeh.
I wonder if we'll get a spec for rangers that let them be close-quarters.. but I don't think there are any melee weapons left for rangers to get? Aside from like.. a shield.
mace, hammer, and shield are still out there.

Honestly, ranger Gs is a solid melee option. Evade on autoattack is nice.

Haven't done much content yet, but the new jungle zones are fucking amazing. It's been a while since a game made me want to explore every nook and cranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom