• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagete

Alright, some quick updates on the GAF Guild Hall;
  1. You can only have one tavern boost at a time, so you have to pick between the experience boost or the karma one. Not sure why they did it that way, but there it is.
  2. The Arena needs the following items before it can be used for actual duels;
    • 36 Ley Line Sparks
    • 1 Celestial Intricate Gossamer Insignia
    • 4 Celestial Imbued Orichalcum Inscription
  3. We also need the following items for the next Mine unlock; expanding the mine generates more Aetherium means we upgrade things faster.
    • 13 Silverwastes Shovels
    • 50 Vials of Linseed Oil
    • 19 Molten Lodestones
  4. The Guild Trader is up, and has a different stock each day (I imagine it changes at reset), check it out but be warned; we already had one person buy the Bag of Education Supplies and ended up not getting anything, so it may be bugged (please file a bug report if this happens to you, Game menu > Support > Report a Bug).

Invites sent!

Thanks for the invites!

spiritfox

I have been in AB all day trying to get the darn hero point below the city. I really hope they get easier to complete as people learn. I was in a super organized map, and I've never seen events done so efficiently.. and yet, we failed. I'm going crazy. ;_;

Huh, AB has the easiest map meta out of the 4 maps IMO. I haven't seen a high security lvl VB yet, but have done pug AB a few times.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Halloween mesmer :D

GWmuECk.jpg

was good fun ^^

also the guild merchant resets with the dailt resets and it looks like only the gold item changes, today its bag of ley line materials

Hedge

Huh, AB has the easiest map meta out of the 4 maps IMO. I haven't seen a high security lvl VB yet, but have done pug AB a few times.

I guess I'm unlucky. We need map completion on all four maps to make the Gift of Maguuma, yes? Do does anyone know if they all have map completion gated behind meta event completion?

spiritfox

Yo

Yo

Dragon's Stand is fucking awesome

Like OMG levels of awesome

That final boss

Holy Jesus on a pogo stick

You guys NEED to do it

Wanderer5

Tackled claiming Lost Precipice again with 8 players (so only one Maw). Feels more trickier to get around compare to Glided Hollow cause of the vertical scale. Also for some reason there was a champ near the legendary knight which made it more annoying than it is, but we got it first try despite some struggles.

Retro

Finished the story. Spoilers, of course.
Didn't run into a single bug and it ran smoothly. Dunno what people are griping about lag and bugs for.

Soloed it without much trouble on my Engineer, but my build is meant to basically shove my flamethrower waaaaaay up in there and survive indefinitely to keep it there. The most I moved was Canach's fight (all the reflects, pretty fun) and gliding. I won't say it's easy because other classes / builds might have a harder time, but I felt this was doable.

Didn't feel like it took too long, bosses' health wasn't too spongy and the phases lasted just long enough they didn't get dull. Good stuff all around, I enjoyed it.

Sumbitch dared to use Tybalt's memory against me? HELL NAW. (Was good to see him again, /sniff).

Any theories on what happened with the Egg at the end? It looked like it absorbed Ley energy, but that was kinda coming from Trahearne, so... maybe the egg got Mordremized?

Cathcart

There are a number of bugs in the last story mission that not everyone runs into, which is really too bad because I did and I liked the story part and even the (intended) fight mechanics. But I didn't love having to retry the fight several times. By the time I finished I wanted to light the game on fire, except I bought it digitally and I don't want to ruin my hard drive. So I just made faces at the screen for a while. They were pretty intense faces, I can assure you, so I bet GW2 feels bad.

Hedge

So there are a few HP's out there that I just cannot do - for example the thistle at the very bottom of VB. There are no-one coming by and no-one is answering my LFG notice.

Are there two professions who would have an easier time duo'ing it? I don't even know if they can duo it, but maybe I can pay someone.

Morokh

So there are a few HP's out there that I just cannot do - for example the thistle at the very bottom of VB. There are no-one coming by and no-one is answering my LFG notice.

Are there two professions who would have an easier time duo'ing it? I don't even know if they can duo it, but maybe I can pay someone.

Why pay someone, ask in guild-chat, I'm sure some people will be glad to help I have one of two of those group HP left in VB as well and can lend a hand if we're on at the same time.

Speaking of HP I had an interesting experience when I wanted to finish my Reaper, I was in Auric Basin, the meta just failed, and instantly someone formed-up a HP train because, I quote "It's fast and good XP" and from there you had like 20 people running around from Hp to HP completing them.
Will be interesting to see if this becomes a thing.

Also while running around doing my 'bugged' Dusk collection I got some Shiny Baubles from the Dwayna events where I came halfway through, and the Bauxite Alchemical ones before it bugged-out.
30s flat, not subject to market fluctuations, on top of everything else you get from doing the events I can see it become an interesting thing to make some gold on the maps with a decent event-density.

Hedge

Why pay someone, ask in guild-chat, I'm sure some people will be glad to help I have one of two of those group HP left in VB as well and can lend a hand if we're on at the same time.

I'm in EU and my guild is long-dead. I finally did find one other to do it with, but then suddenly I was hit with a black screen and cursor. So I just quit for the day.

Finished the story. Spoilers, of course.
Didn't run into a single bug and it ran smoothly. Dunno what people are griping about lag and bugs for.

Soloed it without much trouble on my Engineer, but my build is meant to basically shove my flamethrower waaaaaay up in there and survive indefinitely to keep it there. The most I moved was Canach's fight (all the reflects, pretty fun) and gliding. I won't say it's easy because other classes / builds might have a harder time, but I felt this was doable.

Didn't feel like it took too long, bosses' health wasn't too spongy and the phases lasted just long enough they didn't get dull. Good stuff all around, I enjoyed it.

Sumbitch dared to use Tybalt's memory against me? HELL NAW. (Was good to see him again, /sniff).

Any theories on what happened with the Egg at the end? It looked like it absorbed Ley energy, but that was kinda coming from Trahearne, so... maybe the egg got Mordremized?

Seems like bringing a flamethrower scares the bugs away because I had the same experience.

Morokh

If Halloween indeed ends tomorrow, I'm tempted to advance through the Jungle with my Sylvari Guardian next and replay the story to get the Sylvari point of view.

It's one of the rare characters I leveled in Eotm from 1 to 80, and it must be the one I played the less outside of some PvP matches, so I don't know the class extremely well when it comes to PVE.

What kind of build (Gear and traits) should I look at to go in the Jungle considering I felt relatively squishy even in Orr ? (in full Zerk ofc)

I don't have much in the way of Hero points like for my Necro, so it shouldn't take that long to max everything with the masteries I have now, but a bit of advice is always welcome.

Hellers

I have enough BL scraps for a full ticket and some of those new improvised weapon skins are lovely. The hammer is an anvil tied to a stick.

But so much choice. Which do I get?

I have enough BL scraps for a full ticket and some of those new improvised weapon skins are lovely. The hammer is an anvil tied to a stick.

I like the broken bottle dagger and the whisk with a ball of paper on fire in it as a torch. Lol. So good. Maybe not worth ~100g for me but hilarious :3 I thought they were going to be new drops from the jungle stuff (because the airship crashed...) but they ended up being BL skins :(

Morokh

They are all around 60g on the TP if you have some gold, it must be the lowest I've ever seen a BL collection since the Crimson Lion one when it was up.

Dragon's Stand is such a cool experience, and I haven't even gotten to the final boss event yet. Just the feeling of pushing forward through the meta events. I hope every xpac ends on a zone like it.

So, given a week, here are my general thoughts on the expansion so far. Note that I'm not a PvP player, so all my thoughts are about PvE. I've edited out spoilers but if anyone thinks anything else needs to be spoilered, just let me know:

The design elements are top notch. The event design, enemy design, map design, and mission design are all far and away better than vanilla GW2. I think some of the bosses are still a little damage spongy for my taste, but it's still just an amazing step forward. The increased difficulty is awesome after easy mode PvE for three years. I do, however, think that once the new zones empty out a bit, ArenaNet will have to make some of the events a bit more solo-able. I'm sure they've got that in mind though.

I like the mastery system. I don't mind that stuff is gated behind it. I would personally prefer if the required XP were nerfed a little bit, more along the lines of the standard GW2 leveling process, but it's a minor gripe.

I do think that there is a slight lack of content for fifty bucks. Not game ruining, by stretch, there's still a ton to do, but four (admittedly huge) zones, and only a couple new armor and weapons sets to start is a little underwhelming. No new fractals is kind of disappointing too, in that regard. The good thing is that the content that's there is really, really good. Can't wait to try out raids! Hope they kick my ass!

Story thoughts, spoilers ahoy:
The storytelling is a massive step forward as well, though it is a bit short and feels a little rushed by the end. I would actually like to see the story gated behind certain meta events. For example, gating the final mission behind completion of the Dragon's Stand meta. That way we get our big, epic dragon fight, and then finish up with the more story focused final story fight. The meta events are an honest to God part of the story in this expansion, and I wouldn't mind them being incorporated in that way. The story is a lot more tight and focused compared to the original, and that kind of came at the cost of the scale of the plot. It's very focused on the jungle and the chase for Destiny's Edge. ANet's narrative team has massively improved, and while I didn't mind the smaller scope story for this expansion, I hope they get to really make a larger scale story next time. I think, with what they seem to have learned, they could really nail it.

Overall, I'm loving the expansion. I feel like it's a little content light compared to the base game, but it's still pretty huge overall. And almost all the content that's there is a huge step up from vanilla. The biggest thing, for me, is that it really establishes where ANet wants to take the game. This really provides a base that they can build and expand upon. After GW2's original launch, it felt like the ANet team didn't know where to take it. Updates and content patches were kind of schizophrenic. This really, really feels like a new foundation to build on, and I can't wait to see what the team does in the future.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I got the candy corn stuff I wanted but have 5 of the mega corn left over. I could use 3 for a pail I guess. Do these have use after Halloween is over or should I just sell them now?

Quenk

I got the candy corn stuff I wanted but have 5 of the mega corn left over. I could use 3 for a pail I guess. Do these have use after Halloween is over or should I just sell them now?

If you aren't planning on buying a pail, you can probably keep them for a while and sell them later. Pails are one of the cheapest 20-slot bags so people are always going to buy candy corn and cobs to get them. The price might go up a little bit when candy corn farming goes down.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
If you aren't planning on buying a pail, you can probably keep them for a while and sell them later. Pails are one of the cheapest 20-slot bags so people are always going to buy candy corn and cobs to get them. The price might go up a little bit when candy corn farming goes down.
Oh you can still buy the Halloween stuff like pails using megacorn when it ends? I thought the ghost seller dude leaves

Morokh

I do think that there is a slight lack of content for fifty bucks. Not game ruining, by stretch, there's still a ton to do, but four (admittedly huge) zones, and only a couple new armor and weapons sets to start is a little underwhelming. No new fractals is kind of disappointing too, in that regard. The good thing is that the content that's there is really, really good. Can't wait to try out raids! Hope they kick my ass!

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the first batch of content we got with the expansion, is that it's not the only content you'll get for what you bought, everything from now, until the next expansion is a much a part of it.

I say that because regarding the story
soooo much is missing that it almost feels like a prologue, and I have the feeling that they might have more already in store, and well planned ahead.
I'm even tempted to say that we may not have seen the last of Eir ....and that Mordremoth is certainly not gone for good.

Maybe I'm wrong but i really get the feeling that the content we'll get as Living Story from now on might get a little more ambitious than it was before.
We'll see.

Hellers

They are all around 60g on the TP if you have some gold, it must be the lowest I've ever seen a BL collection since the Crimson Lion one when it was up.

Since I`ve been levelling one of every class I`ve ended up with lots of gold, not very much gold as I progressed :) Selling crafting mats is how I make my coin.

I think I`ll probably end up with the sword first and maybe buy the hammer when I can spare some extra money.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the first batch of content we got with the expansion, is that it's not the only content you'll get for what you bought, everything from now, until the next expansion is a much a part of it.

I say that because regarding the story
soooo much is missing that it almost feels like a prologue, and I have the feeling that they might have more already in store, and well planned ahead.
I'm even tempted to say that we may not have seen the last of Eir ....and that Mordremoth is certainly not gone for good.

Maybe I'm wrong but i really get the feeling that the content we'll get as Living Story from now on might get a little more ambitious than it was before.
We'll see.

Oh absolutely. I'm really looking forward to the Living Story and some future updates. I would have just liked to have seen a tad more in the base content.

Oh, also, everyone should try action cam because it's awesome.

★ Jumping Puzzle Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 4 ☆

Event #11 - Hidden Garden

Required Character Level: 1 (64 recommended)
Required Zone: Mount Maelstrom

Recommended Waypoints: (one of)
Criterion Waypoint - [&BMkCAAA=]
Ashen Waypoint - [&BM4CAAA=]
Gauntlet Waypoint - [&BNMCAAA=]

This event will take place 30 minutes after server reset (7:30 PM EST) on Wednesday night. Note that this is an HOUR EARLIER than our previous events because of daylight savings.

Around 10 minutes before the event, we will hop into Mumble and start collecting at the entrance to the zone to help anyone missing the waypoints. We'll get started as soon as everyone is ready!

★ Magus Falls Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - SATURDAY NOVEMBER 7 ☆

Event #1 - Verdant Brink

Required Character Level: 80
Required Zone: Verdant Brink

This event time is not yet determined, but probably NA evening, depending on missions.

Verdant Brink is a large involved zone with lots of layers, literal and figurative. What better way to tackle the challenge than to swarm the map with GAF members for an evening?

EVERYONE should have Gliding Mastery 1 (Glider Basics) at a minimum. Itzel Lore Mastery 1 (Bouncing Mushrooms) and Gliding Mastery 2 (Updraft Use) are also extremely useful!

so is there no other way of leveling up HoT mastery outside of those events and wubwub? Barely have any time so unlocking things is going to take a long ass time. At least based on reading dulfy's guide for hero points, just need basic gliding.

so is there no other way of leveling up HoT mastery outside of those events and wubwub? Barely have any time so unlocking things is going to take a long ass time. At least based on reading dulfy's guide for hero points, just need basic gliding.

Adventures and repeating skill points give a fair amount of exp, and it just kind of ticks up without you noticing when you follow event chains, but yea you can only level up the Maguuma Masteries in HoT zones.

Adventures and repeating skill points give a fair amount of exp, and it just kind of ticks up without you noticing when you follow event chains, but yea you can only level up the Maguuma Masteries in HoT zones.

what are adventures

edit: oh I see. What do the icons look like on the map. It just feels relatively slower to level in HoT compared to the base game, but that could just be me or arenanet wanting ppl to stay in the zones

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Apple it says that jumping event takes place in the past! :O
what are adventures

edit: oh I see. What do the icons look like on the map. It just feels relatively slower to level in HoT compared to the base game, but that could just be me or arenanet wanting ppl to stay in the zones
Oh it's absolutely slower than leveling up on the base game's XP curve. But, every single mastery unlock is account bound. So they aren't really comparable.

I haven't done adventures yet at all myself but they seem cool.

Anno

what are adventures

Short mini-game-like events found throughout the jungle zone. The first one you'll likely run across is burning a bunch of vines with a flamethrower while avoiding explosions that slow you down. Leaderboards for who does the best in the time provided and some solid rewards for getting silver/gold ranks which aren't usually too difficult. Also stuff like a shooting gallery or gliding through checkpoints. I don't really like minigames but these have been okay so far.

what are adventures

Uhhh I think it's a guy with a stick, but I can't get on to confirm that atm. They're locked out at night though, and when certain events are happening. There's a few close to the entrace of Verdant Brink, when you hover over the icon on the mini map it says "Bugs in the Branches" and "Torching Tendrils" or whatever the adventure is called

Apple it says that jumping event takes place in the past! :O

I don't know what you're talking about it has always been correct and November 4 <____<

Wanderer5

So if I got this right, since this HP in VB is bugged for me (where the frogs originally were), I need to go to the HP that nears the entrance to the Auric Basin where the frogs are now correct?

Getting there with Herald, just need like 5 HoT HP worth to complete it. So excited to play that spec again. I would probably work on Dragon Hunter and Daredevil, but think I be on a break on trying to unlock more specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom