• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
8MsNBHi.png

oh god why

Wanderer5

God Dragon's Stand can run so sluggish, especially after the fight is done and there not too much time to move around. I can't find much of those pods.:/ Well I was in a mouth battle that succeeded in less than 20 minutes so I got that master ley-line converter thing that you get a bit of items from the new maps daily, so that neat.

Also funny how close that area is to Rata Sum, to the point that you can see it in one place.

Mxrz

Made Bolt the other night. Realized I've no pressing need for gold, or in all that much of a hurry for anything. Weird change of pace.

Having a lot of fun playing a soldier p/p-staff thief. Not fighting anyone 1v1, just capping, running supply, killing npcs, and +1'ing fights. Particularly fun in stronghold. Goes against the whole 'zerk thief must burst' but meh. Maybe I'll do the new pistol.

Maledict

Because Logan's one of the blandest, most generic heroes ever created who could be dropped into a thousand games and you'd never know the difference. At least Rytlock is identifiable as a guild wars 2 character instantly, and he has far more personality than Logan.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Because Logan's one of the blandest, most generic heroes ever created who could be dropped into a thousand games and you'd never know the difference. At least Rytlock is identifiable as a guild wars 2 character instantly, and he has far more personality than Logan.

Disagree, Logan is the hero we deserve. His loyalty for his queen is legendary

Keasar

Rytlock is pretty iconic. He is a Charr, the most iconic of the races in Guild Wars. He has a fucking awesome voice (by the magnificent Steve Blum). He doesn't take shit from anyone and knows true loyalty to those he calls friends unlike someone else mentioned who was more interested into sticking his sword into something else than a giant crystal dragons' heart.

MikeDip

Logan and the queen have a fully platonic relationship built off of mutual respect and heroic deeds :3

MikeDip

Sometimes I like to daydream about logan and the queen going through a fallout radiation type situation and getting fused together into a four legged almost centaur with two heads so they can be close to each other forever

Retro

Well, that was... something... I guess... Yeah, moving right along, then.

Looks like the Map Completion Rewards should be getting fixed next Tuesday:
With this issue, your progress isn’t reset – you still have the map explored, you just don’t get a reward when you finish. We’re aiming to have it fixed in the next patch, so just go back to those maps next Tuesday to get your goodies. If for whatever reason the fix doesn’t make it in, we’ll keep you posted. (Source)

Anyone using steam controller? Tell me your configs!

H3x what are your current bindings??

It's not perfect right now, because the Touch Keypad isn't perfect, but here's what I've got:

Left pad: Dpad mode, wasd. Does not require click, because clicking down is dodge.

Right trigger is left click, for skeeells. Then, holding down right grip turns the right pad into a Touch Keypad for the other 9 skills. I currently have it set like a 1-9 numpad, EXCEPT that 1 is replaced with 0, so that I can easily use Elites, and 1 is redundant anyway with right trigger. This works OKAY -- biggest issue is that since it relies on BPM to work, it has the disadvantage of not being as responsive as I'd like. You'll find that you need to hold the button down for a split second for it to register consistently, but it works. I wouldn't do PvP like this though.
And that's the meat and potatoes of the config, the rest is up to tastes, but...

Left trigger is jump
Left bumper is weapon swap
Left grip switches left pad to F1-5, much the same way as the right pad works
Right bumper is right click
Clicking in right pad when not holding the grip is Interact
control stick is scroll wheel, clicking in pulls up map (This is cool, you do it by spinning the stick around like a big wheel)
other buttons are just menu shit, put whatever you want wherever you want. I do have A as autorun, and X as stow weapon.

And that's it. In battle I never have to move my fingers off the pad, for anything, so it's really sweet. The only thing I would change, is I wish that Valve would have a 9 way dpad mode, instead of touch keyboard mode. That would behave so much better.

MikeDip

It's not perfect right now, because the Touch Keypad isn't perfect, but here's what I've got:

Left pad: Dpad mode, wasd. Does not require click, because clicking down is dodge.

Right trigger is left click, for skeeells. Then, holding down right grip turns the right pad into a Touch Keypad for the other 9 skills. I currently have it set like a 1-9 numpad, EXCEPT that 1 is replaced with 0, so that I can easily use Elites, and 1 is redundant anyway with right trigger. This works OKAY -- biggest issue is that since it relies on BPM to work, it has the disadvantage of not being as responsive as I'd like. You'll find that you need to hold the button down for a split second for it to register consistently, but it works. I wouldn't do PvP like this though.
And that's the meat and potatoes of the config, the rest is up to tastes, but...

Left trigger is jump
Left bumper is weapon swap
Left grip switches left pad to F1-5, much the same way as the right pad works
Right bumper is right click
Clicking in right pad when not holding the grip is Interact
control stick is scroll wheel, clicking in pulls up map (This is cool, you do it by spinning the stick around like a big wheel)
other buttons are just menu shit, put whatever you want wherever you want. I do have A as autorun, and X as stow weapon.

And that's it. In battle I never have to move my fingers off the pad, for anything, so it's really sweet. The only thing I would change, is I wish that Valve would have a 9 way dpad mode, instead of touch keyboard mode. That would behave so much better.
Nice.. I've been trying a bunch of different things. Haven't looked at the touch menu a lot though, is there a way to make it activate on whatever section you release it on or do you need to click?

Honestly, I like having that right pad for mouse movement at all times I think. I tried having it normally be a mouse and then mode shift into 4 buttons for skills (with the other ones being on the button diamond) but missed having movement when shifting.

I might try swapping the analog stick and left pad though, your post made me consider it. How do you feel the left pad works as wasd? Did you play with the sensitivity or radius?

My current bindings are:
Left pad is f1 to f4. Mode shifted to be a scroll wheel with zoom mapped, and f5 as the click.
Back toggles action cam. Start is start.
Button diamond is 2-5, mode shifted to 7-9,0.
Right pad is always mouse. Double taping is 6. No click set yet so there's an option there for that.
Left bumper is swap weapons. Left trigger is my cntr hold but I can map more here if need be.
Left grip is mode shift.
Right bumper is target next enemy.
Right trigger is left mouse click. Mode shifted to right mouse click.
Right grip is jump.
Oh and analog stick is currently wasd with click in to dodge. Might move dodge though. Mode shifted click is autorun.

I think I cover everything important and like it, but I do have to move my thumb to the buttons for skills and you don't.

Miktar's Engineer Corner.

Scrapper hammer is really growing on me. I've generally avoided melee combat in GW2 since launch, just wasn't my thing. But times change.

Last night I did AC 1/2/3 and CM 1 with a mix of GAF and pug, and it was glorious. I know a lot of the older content is slightly easier now due to the unavoidable power creep of entirely new skills, but Scrapper really is the Paladin of Engineer. The hammer's ability to keep you up and hitting, combined with a fleet of gyros so you don't need to micro team stuff so much, is pretty potent.

If there's going to be a lot of big damage, Bulkwark Gyro is a godsend. I like the Shredder Gyro just for how long it sticks around, it can whirl in two or more fields back to back. Lovely.

I'm not sure if there's really any 'big numbers' you can get out of Scrapper, regardless of gear and build, but I think it's the perfect solution for the Engineer that wants to do some load-bearing for a group that's lacking a clear front-line Control/Support.

Engineer was always good for Control and Support, but I think a lot of Engies tend to play more Damage/Control and less often, Damage/Support. I think an Engineer CAN play an effective three-way Damage/Control/Support, but you'd be swapping bundles like a madman. Which can be fun, I ran Fractals like that for the longest time, but I'm enjoying simpler builds at the moment, so Scrapper with Explosives and Firearms is doing pretty well for me.

I'm glad Engineer has a true melee option. There's nothing wrong with Toolkit, but it's nice to have something more up-front. I won't lie - I do wish Engineer had weapon swap. I'd love to run Pistol/Shield with Hammer, but even I can see that might be a bit op for the class that's already, imho, op.

Weapon Swap on Engi would be nice or at least on Scrapper.

Here is hoping we get this on the next elite spec.

Mik, I've been on hammer ever since HoT launched and it has been great especially since I was using pistol/shield for 3 years so it is a nice change.

leng jai

Honest question, because I'm not sure I can tell anymore. Are you being sarcastic, or are you genuinely disappointed?

I wanted to buy one of those Fractal boxes a week ago for the sword skin but didn't get around to it. It didn't even occur to me that it was a problem in the first place.

Won

Anyone using steam controller? Tell me your configs!

H3x what are your current bindings??

I don't think I ever ended up posting my GW2 setup in the steam controller thread, so I might as well throw it in here.

Right Grip - Jump
Left Grip - Mode Shift
Right Trigger - Soft Pull (relaxed) Draw Weapon / Hard Pull - Left Click
Left Trigger - Weapon Skill 4 // Mode Shift - Weapon Skill 5
Right Bumper - Weapon Skill 3
Left Bumper - Weapon Skill 2
--
Right Pad - Mouse / Click - Dodge / Double Tap - Next Enemy // Mode Shift - Mouse/ Click - Elite Skill
--
Buttons - Utility 1-3, Heal // Mode Shift - F1-F4
--
Analog Stick - WASD / Click - Weapon Switch // Mode Shift - WASD / Click - F5
--
Forward - Inventory
Back - Map
--
Left Pad - The dumping ground for all the other stuff with Interact and Right Click next to the stick.

Some things are always shifting around, like Elite and especially F5. (apparently that's a thing now)

Started out using the controller with Wildstar, which is much more frantic, so having all core combat skills, dodge, jump and mouse look (oh and sprint too!) availabe without lifting a thumb or cumbersome button combos was a must have. So I put most of the skills on shoulder buttons. For Guild Wars 2 I just shoved all the extra buttons on top of it and that's, after all kind of experiments, what I ended up with for now. And as a minor note, I also prefer to use the "Fast" option for gound targeting.

Alex

Alright, I'm finally into new content.

Gotta say, I always just thought the base game was just... pretty good. I liked some of it's ideas but like a lot of MMOs the mundane and relaxed nature of things kind of kept it from being exciting.

But man, these expansion areas are fucking GREAT. These areas are really dynamic and dangerous, this is exactly what I want out of an MMO. The exploration, the gliding, the aesthetics and density. I'm really pleased with this so far. Feels like I'm really working hard to find these nodes and I'm not just checking shit off the ol' PoI/Heart/Vista list like before.

Gold standard stuff, I finally feel like they delivered on that pitch from back in the day now. I still have concerns with parts of the game but the open world content is really pleasing me. In a world where every MMO just gets lazier and lazier on open world and non-instanced content this is really a treat for someone like me who used to get kicks out of going exploring in the hellhole areas in Ultima Online.

Zeroth

I wanted to buy one of those Fractal boxes a week ago for the sword skin but didn't get around to it. It didn't even occur to me that it was a problem in the first place.

They were non-repeatable achievement rewards, so this was clearly coming. Same for how right now completing a scale 50 allows one to buy fractal weapons, rather than achieving personal level 50.

Wanderer5

Secret cue.

Getting to the NW area of Glided Hollow was pretty easy. Neat area back there.

Edit: Found the hidden ruins that are in the far left area of Lost Precipice. Kind of got annoying with some small ledges (Lara is a norn through) and some clip through wall moments that can block your view. Still neat nonetheless, and eventually you can go through some caves and out to the small water area SW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom