• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I won't be able to make it either, I've had a really rough week.

To make a long story short, since Heart of Thorns has kind of been a let down, I've started up some of my older, non-gaming hobbies, namely collecting exotic animals. Nothing too big, but we did get a pair of lion cubs (surprisingly, not illegal) that sleep near the front door (we can't move them, they were captured from the wild so they tend to be unmanageable. Meg surprised me with two porpoises for Christmas, which is freakin' amazing of her, except that it's illegal to keep them as pets, so we've had to be super careful the neighbors don't see them in our pool.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I got a check from my in-laws and decided I'd like to stick with the nautical theme and get a few seagulls to keep around the porpoises, and as luck would have it someone down state was actually selling a couple newly-hatched sea gull chicks. I drove down to pick them up on New Years Day and they're freakin' awesome.I get home with the baby sea gulls, start to head inside and realize the damn lion cubs are going to be right there sleeping on the threshold.

To make a long story short, I'm carefully opening the door and stepping over the cubs when out of no where the FBI shows up and arrests me for transporting underage gulls across sedate lions for illegal porpoises.

I'm just fuckin' with ya, the only pet we own is a shaggy dog and I'll be on for missions.
what the hell you got me

Diamond Rank tonight, thanks to Kos and Krew!

Not sure if I'm going to embark the road to Legend Division though. There's a lot of overtime at my work in the next few weeks.

How Lump got easy pips in Ruby:

1) Play Bunker Mesmer
2) Walk around the Heart of the Mists
3) Find Amber players and just right click on their portrait and invite, then immediately queue for ranked (unless they are thief or warrior; unfortunately they are weak this season in sPvP).
4) Find out that people actually go with this like 70% of the time.
5) Likely fight an emerald/sapphire team and have a good chance of winning, as solo queuing into ruby teams tends to hurt a lot.
Bonus) Always vote for Khylo; treb+portal is devastating against sub-ruby teams. Literally a 90% win rate on Khylo this season. I did lose a Khylo match this evening, but it was so close and I got such a high personal score (417) that I gained two pips for that lost match.

Diamond Rank tonight, thanks to Kos and Krew!

Not sure if I'm going to embark the road to Legend Division though. There's a lot of overtime at my work in the next few weeks.

How Lump got easy pips in Ruby:

1) Play Bunker Mesmer
2) Walk around the Heart of the Mists
3) Find Amber players and just right click on their portrait and invite, then immediately queue for ranked (unless they are thief or warrior; unfortunately they are weak this season in sPvP).
4) Find out that people actually go with this like 70% of the time.
5) Likely fight an emerald/sapphire team and have a good chance of winning, as solo queuing into ruby teams tends to hurt a lot.
Bonus) Always vote for Khylo; treb+portal is devastating against sub-ruby teams. Literally a 90% win rate on Khylo this season. I did lose a Khylo match this evening, but it was so close and I got such a high personal score (417) that I gained two pips for that lost match.

Mirrors how I got to Legendary. The other two people I played with were bunker mes and I played a viper rev. Two bunker mes made it impossible to decap because of portal. We generally invited a Sapphire or lower player to get lower que times, if not we would wait for hours (not even kidding about the hours part).

Finally got around to doing some cleaning up on my account. Got about 400g out of selling all my mats and such, used the funds to buy a Mystic Forge Conduit and all the Exotics needed for Exotic Hunter achievement, because I really wanted the Karma Converter. Almost done with the drinking achievement too, but wow is that one redonk long. Not Yakslapper long, but I think even three years of regular play + drink consumables every day, wouldnt hit the achievement goal.

Good to see Anet being up front about finally fixing the Devourer chain in Iron Marshes too.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Aw man I took my eyes off the game for a couple days and missed bank tabs on sale and I've been aching to pick a couple up for a while now. Am cry.

Astralaria done..

if the Amalgamated Gemstones didn't cost so much and required 250 i would have made Nevermore next, buying mats and making it yourself still cost around 400-500g, I am down to 250g from 838g, Anet has finally done it, Amalgamated Gemstone is the gold sink they have always wanted when creating a legendary...unless they flood the game with Orbs, Amalgamated Gemstone will continue to rise in price...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I just started playing this yesterday, I hit 23 on a human necro but I'm currently in full free to play status.

Any major tips out there? I was hoping there would be more group content type stuff for me to convince a friend to play with, but event quests and hearts aren't particularly what I was looking for since that's just a big zerg.

I gave pvp a shot with my necro just to see what all the skills would be like and that was a ton of fun, I ended up leveling like 4 times from just pvp because it was more fun than I thought it would be.

Also what are the ways of losing the f2p status? The worst restrictions so far as that there are some things on the trading post I just can't list / buy, not being able to whisper people outside my map, and being unable to enter certain areas until a certain level are there any others that are also painful?

If you want to lose the F2P restrictions, you need to buy HOT. The core content is included in that so you don't need to buy the base game on top of that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright cool thanks, I didn't know if there was a thing where like if you spend 5 bucks on the gem store or something it lifts the restrictions.

I gave pvp a shot with my necro just to see what all the skills would be like and that was a ton of fun, I ended up leveling like 4 times from just pvp because it was more fun than I thought it would be.

Necro is sooo fun in PvP. Even base necro without the elite spec is still a lot of fun. Good choice.

But yeah, your only option for being not F2P is buying the expansion.

Taffer

Advise me what are some of the first things a first time level 80 should do?

Go to Orr and work your way to the temples. Meet entertaining enemies, see some fancy architecture, play through the cool event chains, gather some (relatively) pricey materials and get access to cheapish lv80 gear. They're my favourite zones by far and every time I get a character to 80 it's straight to Straits to see how well I do with them against lv80 enemies and unlock those useful temple waypoints. Level 80 aquabreathers as well!

nan0

Advise me what are some of the first things a first time level 80 should do?

Fractals of the Mist 1-20 is good because they're short (5-15 Minutes) and easy and you have a chance to get some Ascended rings. You want to run each at least once because there is an achievement, and you need to get your reward level to 20 to unlock the higher levels. There are some very short ones that get run frequently for the dailies (Swampland/2, Molten Boss/10, Jade Maw/20).

Also, get to Southsun Cove for the Karka Queen world boss. Quick, easy and relatively rewarding.

Oh yeah, check out the world bosses too. They're very zergy and boring to us older folks but I remember seeing the Jungle Wurm in Caledon Forest for the first time and being like "holy shit this game is awesome"

Retro

Bug Fixes:
  • Chronomancer—Continuum Shift: Fixed an issue that prevented this ability from destroying the continuum rift when the ability expired naturally.
  • Druid—Ancestral Grace: Fixed a bug that allowed this skill to blast finish multiple times in a single casting.

Edit: Random redditors reporting Continuum Shift is now bugged and lasts the minimum amount of time regardless of how many clones you have active.

Wanderer5

Dragon Banner for WvW is freaking cancer, gg.

And stupid WPs too. It no fun when defenders can just wp on the whim and bunker up to the extreme. WvW is just feeling more and more frustrating.

Winter JP botter banhammers are rocking so hard, it's now easy to get into the JP instance again. Good to see Anet culling some bots once more.

Quenk

An ascended salvage tool from a champion fractal chest was the opposite of what I was hoping for :< I need to get some heavy armor

An ascended salvage tool from a champion fractal chest was the opposite of what I was hoping for :< I need to get some heavy armor

Ascended Salvage Tool? What does it do differently?

Edit: Oooooooh, just looked it up. Yikes. I built that up in my head as a super Watchwork Pick or something.

Proven

Too much to respond to. I'll just take stuff from last page.

Now more than ever I feel the pain of the timegate. Building two ascended Viper pistols and having to wait to craft the steel and wood is a pain. The fact that I can buy it instead makes it seem like a mobile game with an 'energy meter' or something like that.

Guess I'm about two years late on this, though.

it would be like a mobile game if anet added a button labeled " pay 20 gems to remove the timer ".

while i agree it is very anoying i can understand why they use it .

Time gating was always lame but at least there was sort of a reason for it at the beginning when ascended armour first came out. Now the only thing it does is annoy everyone.

I respect the time gate. It's one of the ways crafting is profitable.

Aw man I took my eyes off the game for a couple days and missed bank tabs on sale and I've been aching to pick a couple up for a while now. Am cry.
I am sad about this too.

Money making... My preferred method is to 90% do what I was going to do that day, observe what part of that activity has tradeable/sellable items, then add a slightly higher priority to getting those items. During Wintersday this means that as long as I'm getting gifts, I can open them for drinks and sell those while essentially gambling on the contents. Got a mini the last day I was playing.

Festivals make it obvious what to sell because everyone is going for certain things. Outside of festivals it's usually whatever legendary or rare item is popular. And if all else fails just gather everything and sell time gated crafts. Mawdry related crafts looked like a decent way to make money if you were already getting much of the materials through natural play, but that's gone down with HoT.

Now if you want to make money without selling to the trading post... I'd guess world bosses and fractals? Silverwastes involves a lot of mat selling too (which would be better off being out towards crafting in some way rather than direct selling).

I heard on Reddit the other day that bots are lowering the price of Wintersday gifts though. Haven't played in a few weeks because of Xenoblade, however.

Spyware

Bah. I need 10 more stacks of drinks to get done with that cheevo and I have no money left on either account. Sooo... that was a waste of money :/ No way I'll get 10 stacks by just playing, right?
I sorta kinda hate the game atm so I have no idea why I thought grabbing a grind reward was a good idea. I just want SAB, the rest of GW2 is supermega uninteresting. Not really liking it more now due to my own stupidity. Yay.

Retro

Bah. I need 10 more stacks of drinks to get done with that cheevo and I have no money left on either account. Sooo... that was a waste of money :/ No way I'll get 10 stacks by just playing, right?

They should drop from the Wintersday Tree in your home instance, shouldn't they?

I sorta kinda hate the game atm so I have no idea why I thought grabbing a grind reward was a good idea. I just want SAB, the rest of GW2 is supermega uninteresting. Not really liking it more now due to my own stupidity. Yay.

I jumped on my Level 68 Engineer Alt, booster her to 80, and thanks to Taffer's comment above I've been running around Orr having fun. Bumping into a lot of the same people, picking up minor upgrades here and there (Her gear is garbage except for the few odd bits they give you as level rewards or that I had lying around), just doing events without an eye towards completing anything.

It's the most I've played since the first two weeks after HoT, and it really says something that I can go back to "Old GW2" and have a lot more fun than I do in the on-rails Meta-heavy HoT zones. I really hope something changes soon, because this just shows me that GW2 is still an awesome game at its core and the minor misstep that is HoT hasn't completely ruined it. Here's hoping we get that Preview Post from Colin and it isn't just blowing smoke. They must have noticed the response to HoT has been lukewarm at best.

I do wish Elite Specs were easier to unlock, or unlocked account-wide. I'd like to be goofing off with Scrapper but the number of points needed to get anything but hammer unlocked is too much and I'm not going through the HP Grind again.

Talking about account-wide stuff, I would really like if we could at least get WPs account-bound. I know we would lose out on exp due to a change like this, but it would be so nice imho.

Retro

Talking about account-wide stuff, I would really like if we could at least get WPs account-bound. I know we would lose out on exp due to a change like this, but it would be so nice imho.

You should be able to Mystic Forge a Gift of Exploration with a couple other items to create a consumable that unlocks all WPs for a single character. That way you've proven you can 100% the map and skip all of that stuff on an alt, and the XP you'd normally get for that could just be rolled into your levels (especially if one of the birthday boost scrolls is one of the items you use to create it).

I dunno about full account unlocks though, but I wouldn't object to it if they did.

Quenk

I do wish Elite Specs were easier to unlock, or unlocked account-wide. I'd like to be goofing off with Scrapper but the number of points needed to get anything but hammer unlocked is too much and I'm not going through the HP Grind again.

Maybe GAF should do an HP train one day. I fully unlocked Herald over the weekend and it was more fun when I found a party to do a bunch of them together

Spyware

They should drop from the Wintersday Tree in your home instance, shouldn't they?
Yeah but that's probably like 1 per day :p

I jumped on my Level 68 Engineer Alt, booster her to 80, and thanks to Taffer's comment above I've been running around Orr having fun. Bumping into a lot of the same people, picking up minor upgrades here and there (Her gear is garbage except for the few odd bits they give you as level rewards or that I had lying around), just doing events without an eye towards completing anything.

It's the most I've played since the first two weeks after HoT, and it really says something that I can go back to "Old GW2" and have a lot more fun than I do in the on-rails Meta-heavy HoT zones. I really hope something changes soon, because this just shows me that GW2 is still an awesome game at its core and the minor misstep that is HoT hasn't completely ruined it. Here's hoping we get that Preview Post from Colin and it isn't just blowing smoke. They must have noticed the response to HoT has been lukewarm at best.

I should probably do that. I mean, the best thing in GW2 for me has always been the leveling and exploration. I've not been in Orr much at all. I think two characters have explored Orr zones. Out of like.. 30 or whatever.
But I really thought I would be able to use Elite Specs faster on the new characters with HoT so not being able to just killed my momentum completely. I have no use at all for Elite Specs since I have to play everything I like to do just to unlock it properly. I mean yeah I can unlock a new weapon to play with but I'll have to sacrifice a lot of traits to use that. Not really fun.

-

Edit: Zeroth is way too kind and no I'm not crying I just have something in my eye that's all. Yep. Right.

You should be able to Mystic Forge a Gift of Exploration with a couple other items to create a consumable that unlocks all WPs for a single character. That way you've proven you can 100% the map and skip all of that stuff on an alt, and the XP you'd normally get for that could just be rolled into your levels (especially if one of the birthday boost scrolls is one of the items you use to create it).
Yeah, something like that would definitely be nice.

Yeah but that's probably like 1 per day :p
It is just one unfortunately ç_ç

Maybe GAF should do an HP train one day. I fully unlocked Herald over the weekend and it was more fun when I found a party to do a bunch of them together

We've done an HP train every time we've done a map meta event :< (hint hint Tangled Depths is this Saturday)

Spyware

Sooo. I happened to be able to finish that silly shoulder today :O
Zeroth helped a bit and then I suddenly only needed one more Claw kill and... well. Here's my winter fairy:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NKxwR8b.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jZValR0.png[/IMG]

Retro

Continuum Shift is fixed yay

This, of course, will now forever act as a Bat Signal for everyone with any kind of class-related grievance; "ANet loves Mesmers, they fixed them in one day, but my profession has had to deal with xyz since forever, clearly ANet hates my profession!"

Everyone who isn't a mouth-breather, of course, will be happy that it's fixed. =)

leng jai

This, of course, will now forever act as a Bat Signal for everyone with any kind of class-related grievance; "ANet loves Mesmers, they fixed them in one day, but my profession has had to deal with xyz since forever, clearly ANet hates my profession!"

Everyone who isn't a mouth-breather, of course, will be happy that it's fixed. =)

CS is too integral for them to leave unfixed for ages. If it was some other periphery skill they probably would have left it until the balance patch.

Retro

CS is too integral for them to leave unfixed for ages. If it was some other periphery skill they probably would have left it until the balance patch.

You, me and every other reasonably sane person knows that, but MMO communities foster a special kind of insanity.

Retro

04birthday4ls8x.gif
bo2iUdF.gif
04birthday4ls8x.gif

cool_horn8gsru.gif
mapleeqspk.gif
kosgifrrs4g.gif
mapleeqspk.gif
ezgif.com-gif-makerplsnh.gif

A birthday greeting as obnoxious as you. j/k lol, have a good one buddy.

Vyrance

Sooo. I happened to be able to finish that silly shoulder today :O
Zeroth helped a bit and then I suddenly only needed one more Claw kill and... well. Here's my winter fairy:
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NKxwR8b.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jZValR0.png[/IMG]

Grats on the shoulder!

And happy birthday Kos!

explodet

My guild added potatoes and elder wood to the farming list.
I'd be farming like I was in my WoW days if Xenoblade wasn't stealing my time.

Scribing's pretty terrible. The only reason I can think of for it being this expensive is because it's for those supercore players who crave something to do in the game without blowing through it in a week.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Finally talked myself into using my makeover kit to turn my first character into a guy. I dunno what I was thinking when I initially made a female character. I can't stand playing as a female character. After a few hours of running around as beefcake Nolan North I knew I made the right choice.

Is buying the living world season 2 worth it if I don't care about story at all? I mean are there a lot of achievements and rewards and stuff for doing the quest or is it all just for story/lore purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom