• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a ton of achievements and items exclusive to Living Story Season 2.

- From the story instance achievements there's 548 AP and 16 mastery points available.
- From the first half of LS2, you get ascended Nomad's trinkets for completing each chapter's achievements (mostly useless stats, but at least you can salvage them now)
- From the second half of LS2 you get ascended Sinister trinkets for completing each chapter's achievements (these are pretty good for condition builds)
- You get the components necessary for crafting Mawdrey, an ascended backpiece, which comes with Mawdrey 2, a bloodstone dust converter
- You get Carapace Armor
- You get Luminescent Armor
- If you get all the Carapace and Luminescent armor skins, you complete the Bioluminescence collection, which gives a fancy title, a bunch of AP, and some free ascended armor

I'm probably forgetting something but those are what come to mind immediately

Also lol @ "beefcake Nolan North"

-----

EDIT: At the top of the page-ish, I'll tack this on here to pimp out Levyne's event

★ Magus Falls Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - SATURDAY JANUARY 9th, 2016, 7:30PM EST ☆

Event #4 - Tangled Depths
Required Character Level: 80
Required Zone: Tangled Depths

Finally the last of the Magus Falls metas will be done as a GAF event.
Commanders will be Levyne, Zeroth, Techwolf, and Spiritfox. We will enter the map during a (likely failed) Gerent phase, split into 4 squads to run the four camp event series, and likely have enough time to run at least a partial HP train before we organize for the meta at the end. We may even have time to hit some of the random achievements (such as The Longest Glide) or some strongboxes. Similar to our DS event, we will open general taxis at the end once we have all of GAF in to make sure that we have the numbers we need on the map to finish successfully.

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE NUHOCH WALLOWS MASTERY (Nuhoch Lore 2) for a slightly easier time.

The event should last roughly two hours with missions following immediately afterwards.

Thorgal

hi guys .

Letting you know i am fine and i did not disapear in a black hole .

decided to smell the grass on the other side for a while and dive into FFIVX.

Once i grow tired of it or a new update comes out for GW 2 ill be back in the game.

Also : ARAH !

Well, my game just crashed at the very end of the mouth of mordremoth fight in DS, after a full participation through the map, and was unable to disconnect due to a "full server" afterwards. I also had the same thing happen in AB meta the other day after spending a good hour doing events on the map before the meta started.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated by issues like these with this game, which don't seem to be slated for changes any time soon, but are really terrible design decisions on Anet's part. Why build the whole map around the meta, but then make it so that it is possible (and indeed easy to do) for someone to snag your spot if you happen to crash at the end? Why make it so that it is impossible to rejoin the map later on to farm pods, even if you did participate fully in that map to begin with?

In addition to these crash / no reconnect issues, I've now had two AB's in a row bug out at the end of the meta, so that it says that an exalted sacrificed himself when in fact the map succeeded. It's not the worst bug ever, but it decreases your rewards to be about 25% of what they would have been (believe I got 20 aurilium and 1 key as opposed to 75 and 5 keys as I should). One guy on that map said in map chat that the last 4 AB metas he has done have all been bugged...he was very angry because he apparently needed the meta to succeed in order to receive something for a legendary he is constructing.

I really do not think that issues like these which happen so frequently would be tolerated in any other AAA game, yet in GW2 (HOT in particular) they seem commonplace. And strangely, some people actively defend anet on these issues. I encountered 2-3 people in map chat the other night in AB, who were actively debating me when i brought up the bug, and kept saying "who cares", "no big deal". Well, they are right, it's not that big of a deal, but its also really frustrating, not fun, and ultimately it shouldn't be tolerated to have bugs of this sort rampant in the game. /rant i guess...

Won

Well, my game just crashed at the very end of the mouth of mordremoth fight in DS, after a full participation through the map, and was unable to disconnect due to a "full server" afterwards. I also had the same thing happen in AB meta the other day after spending a good hour doing events on the map before the meta started.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated by issues like these with this game, which don't seem to be slated for changes any time soon, but are really terrible design decisions on Anet's part. Why build the whole map around the meta, but then make it so that it is possible (and indeed easy to do) for someone to snag your spot if you happen to crash at the end? Why make it so that it is impossible to rejoin the map later on to farm pods, even if you did participate fully in that map to begin with?

In addition to these crash / no reconnect issues, I've now had two AB's in a row bug out at the end of the meta, so that it says that an exalted sacrificed himself when in fact the map succeeded. It's not the worst bug ever, but it decreases your rewards to be about 25% of what they would have been (believe I got 20 aurilium and 1 key as opposed to 75 and 5 keys as I should). One guy on that map said in map chat that the last 4 AB metas he has done have all been bugged...he was very angry because he apparently needed the meta to succeed in order to receive something for a legendary he is constructing.

I really do not think that issues like these which happen so frequently would be tolerated in any other AAA game, yet in GW2 (HOT in particular) they seem commonplace. And strangely, some people actively defend anet on these issues. I encountered 2-3 people in map chat the other night in AB, who were actively debating me when i brought up the bug, and kept saying "who cares", "no big deal". Well, they are right, it's not that big of a deal, but its also really frustrating, not fun, and ultimately it shouldn't be tolerated to have bugs of this sort rampant in the game. /rant i guess...

I bowed out for good from HoTs content after getting my DS crash. (there should be an achievement with title for it) I barely touched it over the last few weeks to begin with, but that was the final straw. Probably not even gonna bother leveling/boosting a different class, because I would need slog through the HP farm.

It's too bad. Action Cam actually made the game fun to play for me, but at this point the upcoming 2016 preview needs to blow my mind. And I have no reason to believe that's gonna happen.

Guys just set your expectations accordingly because the preview is for "early part" of 2016 not all of 2016.

Looking Ahead to 2016

As you can see, we have a full schedule of events planned out for 2015 already! But 2016 is right around the corner. When we return from the holiday break, I’ll be back with another state-of-the-game update to walk through our plans for the early part of next year—including details about what you can expect from the regular live cadence for Guild Wars 2 in 2016.
Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-road-ahead-for-2015/

Retro

Well, they are right, it's not that big of a deal, but its also really frustrating, not fun, and ultimately it shouldn't be tolerated to have bugs of this sort rampant in the game. /rant i guess...

No, I think you're right; it's ridiculous that they haven't sorted the disconnects /bugs / map closing / taxi issues yet, or implemented a way to keep your spot in the map / participation open for a few minutes so you can log back in. It's been two months and change, it's not a minor issue and it makes playing the new zones an absolute gamble.

In the scheme of things, it's not a big deal, but this is a game and it's supposed to be fun... you can only get flicked in the face so many times before you give up trying, which is what a lot of people are doing, I think. Case in point...

I bowed out for good from HoTs content after getting my DS crash. (there should be an achievement with title for it) I barely touched it over the last few weeks to begin with, but that was the final straw. Probably not even gonna bother leveling/boosting a different class, because I would need slog through the HP farm.

It's too bad. Action Cam actually made the game fun to play for me, but at this point the upcoming 2016 preview needs to blow my mind. And I have no reason to believe that's gonna happen.

Right there with you; lately I dip into the new HoT zones when I need a surge of hero points or I'm grabbing flax, and the rest of the time I'm in central Tyria having fun again. The meta-events feel like chores now, and with the constant threat of the stuff mentioned above looming over them it's just not worth it. I'm not having fun. Whereas I've been through places like Diessa Plateau and Straits of Devastation probably a dozen times now and I'm still finding new things to keep me interested. It's amazing how much fun you have when they're not pushing a meta down your throat (even in a zone like Orr where it's everywhere you go).

Guys just set your expectations accordingly because the preview is for "early part" of 2016 not all of 2016.

Yeah, we knew this, but the bit about their release cadence is the big deal for me, which actually would cover all of 2016. I'm not even going to post a list of things I'm hopeful for because it'll just end in disappointment. What a difference an expansion makes.

Kin5290

Hey, any chance I could get an invite to the GAF guild? I'm Maka.8719.

Thanks!

And also, does nobody do dungeons or just nobody do them using the LFG system?

Retro

Hey, any chance I could get an invite to the GAF guild? I'm Maka.8719.

Thanks!

And also, does nobody do dungeons or just nobody do them using the LFG system?

Appletoasty beat me by exactly 47 seconds on the invite. Welcome!

ArenaNet severely reduced the rewards players receive for completing dungeons, so players have pretty much given up on them as it's easier to just farm certain parts of the game. The new elite specs introduced in the expansion also reduced what little difficulty was left to nothingness.

It's a shame, really.

I still believe Dungeons will be brought into their own Fractals rotation, while the story dungeon will be made soloable as part of the personal story sort of like what they did with Arah story.

It makes sense, it will appease dungeon runners and people who are burned out on the fractals.
What would make me a happy bunny though is that if they would release it sooner, rather than later, along with new fractals.

I'm getting that itch to play some GW2 again. I had a ton of fun with the Festival of the Four Winds but then I kind of dropped out again :(

How's the game now that it went F2P? I have a lot to look up with HoT expansion!

I'm getting that itch to play some GW2 again. I had a ton of fun with the Festival of the Four Winds but then I kind of dropped out again :(

How's the game now that it went F2P? I have a lot to look up with HoT expansion!

It's great but we are in a post-launch chaos, so things need to be fixed. If you haven't played since Bazar of the Four Winds, then wow. A lot has changed:)

Bazar of the Four Winds was in 2013 wasn't it?

Spyware

Festival of the Four Winds was the time they brought it back. That was in May 2014. Still a long time ago!

-

The "crash and say goodbye to your zone" is one of the things that keeps be from playing HoT zones. I crash at basically every other world boss nowadays. I'm not really looking forward to first do the long events I don't really find fun, and then not even see the end of it :p

Wanderer5

Think it was time to set new goals in PvE, so I working on getting the mistward set, and likely will use the headband for my Herald. Still need to get a couple insignia, drops from enemies and bosses (which includes getting the King of the Jungle meta event done). Also want to get Fractal 1-20 done too heh.

I can't see how they've made any real effort to make old content worth doing.

Things that may or may not make old content worth doing based on personal preference, but do exist and were effort by Anet to attempt to keep old content relevant:

- Scavenger hunts for things like Mawdry.
- Collections.
- Legendaries.
- Exploration achievements.
- Level scaling.
- World bosses.
- Jumping Puzzles.
- World boss overhauls (not enough of these happened)
- DE additions (not enough of these either)
- And of course, Living World keeps old zones relevant by reusing them.

And likely a few more things I'm forgetting. Overall, older maps *are* still worth doing even if you're not spooling up a newbie alt, which is very unlike most MMORPGs I think we can agree.

What I'd like to see more of is new DEs, challenges for certain things (like killing certain enemies under a timelimit or doing a JP under a timelimit), day/night cycles changing which DEs are active, special DEs for certain times of the day, more treasure goblin Skritt, and a refresh on some NPC dialogue to bring them up to speed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I'm level 45 on my necro and the game is really becoming much more interesting with my 2nd trait tree unlocked (and fully filled out as soon as I unlocked it thanks to the huge amount of points I've been getting)

My major gripe from my limited experience is really that the story is just so bad, the voice acting quality ranges from "cheesy fun" to "help me I want you to stop talking", apparently though the human story is considered to be one of the worst and then the vigil is considered to be even worse from what I hear.

Also the transmutation system is really quite disappointing compared to what other MMOs offer, while I do love that I can just unlock skins and use whatever I've unlocked whenever without needing to have that item, the issue lies in the transmutation tokens. I figure these might be more common later on but right now as far as I've seen you only seem to get them from map completion chests or from gems.

I wish it would just have a scaling cost based on your level or the quality of the item or something instead of needing tokens. It's a shame especially since a lot of the early female necro armor looks like complete garbage.

As a huge fan of appearance customization does the transmuting thing get any better later on or am I just gonna be having an eternal struggle to get tokens every time I get an upgrade to maintain my preferred look?

I have around 300 transmute tokens, and I've never bought any using real money. They do pile up over time, and come from weird places like PvP. Granted I've been playing since launch and don't play dress-up as much as most, but I've reworked the entire look of several alts already. I would say though, until you hit 80, don't use transmute tokens at all, unless you want to waste them. You'll be swapping gear so fast as you level (complete replacement of everything ever 5-6 levels I'd guess), there's no point in keeping a coherent look until you've hit 80 and gotten your main stat exotics.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was kind of bummed about transmutation charges at first too, but they are SO easy to get, especially if you've got bad gamer OCD like I do. I've accumulated about 50 of them so far and I've only been playing for a month or two. You kind of just need to come to terms with the fact that your character is going to look like a dumpster until you hit 80 because it's just not worth using charges on leveling gear.

If you ever need more charges, keep a character slot free, roll a new character and then go 100% explore all of the cities. Sylvari and Asura towns are really fast and I can probably do Divinity's Reach with my eyes closed at this point.

The Charr city can fuck right on off tho.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah I guess that's good to know, but like god the female necro armor is just frilly skirts and corsets until you get that cool looking goat skull mask and long lower robe type coat.

But then after that you start getting skirts and stockings and corsets again.

It's very annoying, especially since the dry bones armor looks so good.

Black Citadel is easy. Rata Sum and Hoelbrak can eat it though. :p

I don't think *anyone* is happy with how their class of gear looks like leveling. Medium armour is a disaster, for me. There is almost no good looking medium armour for Engineer unless you go spend 50g on cultural stuff, but then it all clips in spite of being ONLY FOR CHARR. So yeah, gg Anet on that one.

Yeah I guess that's good to know, but like god the female necro armor is just frilly skirts and corsets until you get that cool looking goat skull mask and long lower robe type coat.

But then after that you start getting skirts and stockings and corsets again.

It's very annoying.

I rolled a female light armor class when I first started playing and had the same reaction... it was kind of uncomfortable, for the starting armor you are literally staring up their skirt when they run even if you don't take a weird angle. :S Deleted that one and made a male elementalist instead, I kept him for a long time. He still has a special place in my heart. :>

My current main is a female mesmer (light armor), but no super short skirts or massive cleavage or nothing. She's a classy lady.

I change my skins all the time (too often, probably) and I still manage to have a handful sitting around. You'll get plenty, but like others said, don't spend them until you have some armor you're actually going to hold on to for a while (i.e. your first exotic set at level 80).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I rolled a female light armor class when I first started playing and had the same reaction... it was kind of uncomfortable, for the starting armor you are literally staring up their skirt when they run even if you don't take a weird angle. :S Deleted that one and made a male elementalist instead, I kept him for a long time. He still has a special place in my heart. :>

Yeah it's very annoying, especially because you look at the male versions of an armor set and you're like "oh man this is gonna be great" but then the female one is a ridiculous as shit thing.

The winged set is a prime example where the male version is just a normal looking fancy wizard outfit
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c2/Winged_armor_human_male_front.jpg

But then the female one is this fucking disaster
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/f1/Winged_armor_human_female_front.jpg

Like jesus christ arena net, I just want to look like a necromancer who does dark magic not a goddamn fairy princess. Why can't I look like this all the time?
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/6/60/Dry_Bones_armor_human_female_front.jpg

I'm tempted to just get something like balthazars regalia off the gem store and just completely encase myself in that outfit so I never have to worry about this until I hit 80.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The best part about having bought the game before it went F2P was that it gave me access to the Royal Guard outfit, which pretty much saved me from having to look at noob armor while leveling.

I just straight up don't like playing female characters in MMOs, but having all of their armor looking like some naked lady waifu shit makes it even worse. I understand why they do it. Lotta pervy teens play these games that just want to run around as a naked Barbie doll. I think it's gross, but it's MUCH less offensive in this game as opposed to some of the Asian MMOs like Tera. There are actually so many options in this game to make your character look cool, it's just kind of a shame that you have to get to 80 before you can start unlocking and investing resources into them.

Yeah it's very annoying, especially because you look at the male versions of an armor set and you're like "oh man this is gonna be great" but then the female one is a ridiculous as shit thing.

The difference between the Phalanx armors is pretty obnoxious as well.

Male version: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/cb/Phalanx_armor_human_male_front.jpg

Female version: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/06/Phalanx_armor_human_female_front.jpg

They look like completely different sets. :/

The best part about having bought the game before it went F2P was that it gave me access to the Royal Guard outfit, which pretty much saved me from having to look at noob armor while leveling..

This is actually a very good point, and a reason to have an Outfit or two. I use the Chef outfit while levelling alts.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The difference between the Phalanx armors is pretty obnoxious as well.
They look like completely different sets. :/

Wow that's disappointing as hell, the male version looks like Nightmare and is absolutely fantastic, the female version looks rather uninspired.

This is actually a very good point, and a reason to have an Outfit or two. I use the Chef outfit while levelling alts.

Yeah I'm really considering just grabbing an outfit because this is ridiculous, the funny thing is most of the female outfits also look dreadful I should just get balthazars and seal myself inside it.

LiQuid!

There's a greatsword skin that will really complete my look but it will require most of my entire life savings to buy. I need something worthwhile to invest this gold in or I'm going to make a really terrible decision.

Spyware

So uh. I'm fine with people pointing out the difference between the armor sets. That stuff is really bad and I wish Anet would be more consistent (both by giving females more clothes and also by giving males less clothes sometimes).
...but please be careful about how you write about people that use the more revealing clothes options, please? I'm not a "pervy teen" (I'm a late-twenties woman) and I use a bunch of more revealing sets, boob armor and other things just because I happen to like the looks. I also use a bunch of more "modest" or "realistic" sets because I happen to like those too.

I hate pretty much every leveling set tho (especially that cliché Dry Bones ;)) so I use a bunch of cool outfits while I level.
The Jungle Explorer and Arctic Explorer are the best sets.

LiQuid!

If you don't fit the stereotype there's no reason to be offended by it, but "pervy teens" is the reason a lot of those revealing sets exist. Using those sets doesn't make you a perv, but every time I see a dolled up female character with her boobs out, my mind instantly assumes there's a weirdo responsible for it.

I'm generalizing too, obviously. There are a lot of pervs in their 20s and 30s too!

Spyware

Or I can get annoyed that it's assumed (or expressed liek that) that only pervy teens (or pervy people or whatever if you wanna include others too) like those kinds of looks and prove to you that others that do not fit that stereotype can also like a strong, cool female that can swing a huge sword while wearing an evening gown or what is basically a bikini.
I'm a fan of the "fairy princess that will shoot your eye out" or the "bikini bimbo who will smash you with the biggest hammer you've seen" as long as they move normally and the camera isn't drooling at their breasts or something. :)

It's not only because of pervy people those kinds of looks exists. It's because it's liked by a bigger group of people than that. If pervy people had anything to say about GW2, it would look like Tera. It's more in animations and in "what way" you show skin than just... having skin showing.

But as said, I dislike the differences in male/female versions of the same armor and I'd love a bunch more options like this for light and this for heavy.

But the only armor in this game I have a hard time accepting is this one. Yuck.

Gonna agree with Spyware here. Revealing armor sets have their place and can look pretty cool with the right setup. Also, sometimes you want to show a lot of skin because your character has cool details that would be covered up like Sylvari glow patterns or Norn tattoos.
seiour_zpshm6j2m86.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Some revealing sets look great like ^this one up here, I've used them before in other games I would even consider using some of them in GW2 (the female sorcerers set looks awesome as well as the female tribal set).

I was mostly just complaining about how it's a shame that it's hard to find a set that feels like something a necromancer would wear.

Spyware

Oh btw. If you have a free character slot, don't like PvP and don't mind some mindless "farming" you can get transmutation charges pretty easy by making a new character, taking it to the capitals and explore them. Then delete and do it all over again on another new character. Cities give one charge each for exploration and it's pretty quick as soon as you memorize a good path through the place (there are maps online to follow if you wish).

(Or I think this still works?)

Retro

The "Guild Chat" livestream returns tomorrow at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific. Colin Johanson (Game Director), Lena Chappelle (music / design), and Maclaine Diemer (music) are scheduled to appear. Rubi Bayer (host) has been on Reddit a bit teasing that Colin will be dropping some info, and there's a new segment they're adding so... we'll see.

Chainmail Bikini discussion

As someone who has an equal share of male / female characters (or will, I have a plan... yes there is a spreadsheet), I've only ever dressed two of them anything close to provocatively, my Sylvari Mesmer (and I've dialed her back a bit) and my Revenant (who's wearing Norn Cultural T3, so... yeah);

bkgaAjq.jpg

Top: Mesmer (current), Mesmer (old), Ranger, Guardian
Bottom: Engineer, Elementalist, Revenant, Thief.
Not shown: Asuran Warrior and Mesmer, I don't think Asurans should figure into a discussion on 'sexy', but if it were a cute contest I'd easily win.

Since the topic was focused almost entirely light armor, I'll point out that my ele's really only showing off her armpits (that's the priory armor, it shows off a bit of back too, whoopie).

Unrelated: Everyone should have Velocitas Eradico. It even has a cool draw / holster animation and unique firing sound

leng jai

I was kind of bummed about transmutation charges at first too, but they are SO easy to get, especially if you've got bad gamer OCD like I do. I've accumulated about 50 of them so far and I've only been playing for a month or two. You kind of just need to come to terms with the fact that your character is going to look like a dumpster until you hit 80 because it's just not worth using charges on leveling gear.

If you ever need more charges, keep a character slot free, roll a new character and then go 100% explore all of the cities. Sylvari and Asura towns are really fast and I can probably do Divinity's Reach with my eyes closed at this point.

The Charr city can fuck right on off tho.

Aside from map completion and sPVP (which is slow as hell) there's no other reliable way of getting transmutation charges. That's just nonsense for a game with an emphasis on cosmetics. It's bad enough that you have to pay currency to use a "wardrobe" system and the lack of ways to get it in-game makes it even worse.

Light armour is probably the best armour there is, I've made 3 female characters and had zero issues with finding outfits that aren't embarrassingly lewd. You should try female heavy armour, 98% of that is horrendous.

Quenk

Aside from map completion and sPVP (which is slow as hell) there's no other reliable way of getting transmutation charges. That's just nonsense for a game with an emphasis on cosmetics. It's bad enough that you have to pay currency to use a "wardrobe" system and the lack of ways to get it in-game makes it even worse.

The most reliable way is to log in daily and get a bag of 3 every month from the login rewards :V

Spyware

She's so pretty! <3

Btw, this is my only (non-asura) female necro. I was pretty surprised to find that 3 out of 5 necros are male since I have so many more female characters. she's not "necro-y" since I generally dislike dressing characters after what class they are. It's all about the character. She's a little noble
brat
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/PijlAQ6.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ToSoOSr.png[/IMG]

Retro

She's so pretty! <3

Thanks. I don't play her nearly enough, Ele is one of those classes that doesn't 'click' well with me very often (though that's not the same as "not at all"). I bought her a full set of the Dwayna Skins and had planned to change her armor colors to match a little more, but now I'm not sure. I really like the dark blue look on her.

Meh the chest, leggings, and boots are still nice through.:p Crafted a carapace/phalanx mix with my human guard.

I went (almost) the complete opposite for my Guardian; I'm using the boots, but skipped the chest and leggings and went with the shoulder and gloves. The female variation of Phalanx looks super light but armored in a few vital places, which works well since she's a Dragonhunter now and the idea of her being lightly armored. That's why I went with the scale armor too; she looks like she can get around quick in the jungle, but has some armor where it's wanted but won't get in the way.

I know, I put too much time into thinking about my characters.

Won

The only thing I can add is that I created a female Norn Rev, checked out some armor in town and promptly deleted her again. I'm forever stuck with Asura in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom