• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I wouldn't mind doing the work to get a legendary but

1. it's kind of hard to know where to even start. I've looked at the ingredient lists for some of them, but it's still an absurdly huge list of things and a lot of thing you need more than 250 of, so it's hard to know what order I should gather/combine things in to be able to complete it.

2. there are some steps that seem virtually impossible for me personally, like grinding some kind of WvW currency, which is a game mode I haven't even tried yet, and all I hear about it is that it's horrible from people who have. I really hate these kinds of mixed PVE/PVP requirements to getting items.

3. it seems like in order to get one of the pre-combine weapons (Dusk, etc) you have to get insanely lucky with the mystic forge or loot drops.

Most games I've ever played that have had legendary type weapons usually involve some kind of epic, involved quest line that requires a TON of grinding, but at least keeps you on a relatively straight path towards achieving it. Obtaining legendaries in this game seem like they were designed to suck gold and fun out of every single activity you can possible do in the game.

The new legendary system is alright at best. I have 15 legendaries (working on Astralaria atm). I had no problems with the old system, the only thing that needed to be fix was the precursor. The new system is ridiculous when it comes to the amount of gold and farming required. It's cheaper just to buy a precursor off the tp then waste your time trying to craft it. I mean I like the idea they had of making this journey you have to go on, but some of this stuff is just over the top. Oh and time gated stuff is the worst.

1. it's kind of hard to know where to even start. I've looked at the ingredient lists for some of them, but it's still an absurdly huge list of things and a lot of thing you need more than 250 of, so it's hard to know what order I should gather/combine things in to be able to complete it.

2. there are some steps that seem virtually impossible for me personally, like grinding some kind of WvW currency, which is a game mode I haven't even tried yet, and all I hear about it is that it's horrible from people who have. I really hate these kinds of mixed PVE/PVP requirements to getting items.

3. it seems like in order to get one of the pre-combine weapons (Dusk, etc) you have to get insanely lucky with the mystic forge or loot drops.

Most games I've ever played that have had legendary type weapons usually involve some kind of epic, involved quest line that requires a TON of grinding, but at least keeps you on a relatively straight path towards achieving it. Obtaining legendaries in this game seem like they were designed to suck gold and fun out of every single activity you can possible do in the game.

1. There are guides online and plenty of people here that have crafted legendaries before that can provide you with some direction. First thing you probably want to do is map completion (just core Tyria, and none of the maps that were added after the original release, like Southsun Cove, Silverwastes, Dry Top) and harvest everything you see along the way. You'll have a fair amount of money once you're done that. Then you probably want to start forging for Mystic Clovers with whatever Mystic Coins you get from the daily. If you're actually interested in it, ask, and I'm sure someone will reply with a decent idea of what to do next.

2. If you pop in to any of the WvW maps (especially Eternal Battlegrounds or Edge of the Mists) on a Friday/Saturday night you'll probably find a commander tag, just follow them around and kill stuff. (Alternatively, some of the achievement point chests give you Badges of Honor, you could just wait until you get those.) WvW is admittedly in a pretty shitty spot right now, but they're supposedly working on it..

3. It used to be the case that you either got super lucky and had a precursor drop for you, you got super lucky and got something out of the Mystic Forge, or you saved up several hundred gold and bought it outright on the trading post. They just released Legendary Collections with Heart of Thorns that make it less RNG and more like you're ~doing stuff~ to earn your legendary, but it turns out that most of them aren't cheaper at all so it's barely worth it. (You can check if it's cheaper to craft or buy by using gw2bltc.com and checking the recipe price - for example, here's Dusk. Costs 741g to craft and about 1100g to buy outright.)

Quenk

Levyne made a pretty great post on it a while back: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147069116&postcount=17202

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It's really weird / annoying that the "newly created account" 4 day timer starts ticking from the moment you upgrade to HoT.

But I guess I can see why, so bots don't upgrade using fake credit cards and screwing with the TP before Anet can be like "yo this purchase aint legit".

Still though, for a legit customer it's annoying as hell. Being 80 and not being able to buy sigils from the TP until thursday is gonna be annoying.

Proven

Rereading my post it felt like I was shit stirring, but I'm glad for the mini-discussion that ensued.

I haven't tried the collections yet, but from previous experiences with GW2 collections and reading about what's necessary, it feels like the difference between the grind for it here and the grind for it in other MMOs is that it's a GW2 type grind. Stuff you can gather in multiple areas of the game, but take time to convert (I still don't see the problem with time gated maps). A few things that can only be bought with gold, but they're there to keep the prices of previous precursors from dropping out and you can say amassing gold is both effortless or a measure of some amount of game mastery. A couple of locations and events you have to revisit. No direct quest line to get any of this, which allows a number of approaches but also causes people to often frame it in the simplest method, "it costs too much gold if I buy everything possible from the trading post." People want the simple collections while only having to kill monsters as a form of grind? I don't know the details of it in other games.

And I see people scandalized that it can take "days" to complete. If people complained I expected people to complain about "weeks." It might be easier to understand if it was put in the form of hours.

And I'm not just talking about GAF here, although it's a surprisingly similar looking microcosm of other places at times.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/profession-balance-goals-for-the-winter-2016-update/

Profession Balance Goals for the Winter 2016 Update
by Karl McLain on January 11, 2016

d45b26c66404-PvP-1920x1080-590x331.jpg

Hello, and welcome to the first quarterly balance update of 2016! I’m Karl McLain, and we’re here today to talk about some high-level changes that’ll be coming to each profession this month.

With the release of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ and the unlocking of elite specializations, we’ve seen a decent shift in play styles and power throughout the game. While we’ll still make minor adjustments in between as needed, each of our quarterly seasonal releases will include a major balance update to adjust how professions are performing and rein in outliers.

In this first quarterly update, we’ve got a few goals we’re pushing toward. Our main goal will be to reduce some of the highest-level effectiveness in both defense and offense that have occurred since the release of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, while also increasing the effectiveness of less used options. Secondarily, we’ll be looking at slightly changing the theme of a couple of professions so that they’ll have a strong place in each game type.

In an effort to normalize gameplay around downstate, we’ll be making death and resurrection more absolute; while resurrecting allies or stomping enemies, the effects of quickness and slow will no longer have an effect. We’ll also be making a change to slow to bring it more in line with its quickness counterpart, slightly reducing its overall effectiveness. With that said, let’s talk about the professions.

Elementalist
This profession has seen a lot of defensive additions through recent updates and the addition of the tempest. In this iteration, we’ll be fine-tuning the defensive nature of the elementalist a little more and improving its offensive side a bit. To that end, Diamond Skin will see its first change in a long while, moving to condition removal (as is more thematic with the elementalist) rather than condition avoidance. In the effort to improve offense, Air grandmaster traits will be getting usability and damage improvements, while the scepter and focus will be receiving some positive quality-of-life modifications.

Engineer
We’ve been enjoying watching all of the scrapper gyros buzzing around in the jungle, helping allies and clearing the way for Pact forces. Our focus for the engineer has been to improve less used traits and to rework some functionality for scrapper traits. For the core specializations, trait improvement efforts have been made toward creating impactful choices and making each build choice more distinctive. With that said, we’re still monitoring the defensive nature of the scrapper and may look to implement a reduction in survivability.

Guardian
In keeping with the general theme of improving less used options, we’ve been updating both traits and abilities to be more useful and to have a meaningful impact when you equip them. The dragonhunter elite specialization has proven to have a very solid impact in many areas of the game, but they’ve been a tad too effective in the areas of burst and disruption, and we’ll be looking to make slight adjustments in those areas.

Mesmer
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns has seen many a chronomancer survive a killing blow and seize victory. Alacrity has improved the mesmer’s party support game-wide, but we’ll be bringing alacrity a bit more in line and making it easier to balance while keeping it a staple of the chronomancer elite specialization. Additionally, we’ll be improving upon the scepter, which will be receiving updates through skills, functionality, and traits.

Necromancer
The necromancer and its reaper elite specialization have been trundling (slow-moving, nefarious) through the battlefield, cleaving foes down in style. During this quarterly update, we’ll be looking at improving a couple of elite specialization traits and working with the baseline shroud to give it a bit more functionality. Leeching Bolts (comboing a projectile in a dark field) will now also heal through your shroud form.

Ranger
We’ll be looking into some of the ranger’s less used traits and increasing both defensive and offensive options while giving a few specialized traits a bit more allure. In the first quarterly update, we’ll also be improving the ranger’s shout utility category, giving them more unique utility. In the future, we’ll continue to explore ways to improve on the ranger’s ties to both their pets and nature. We’re still looking at the druid’s viability in group scenarios and will continue to monitor its overall effectiveness, making changes where necessary.

Revenant
Now that the revenant is out in the wild, we’ve been taking a hard look at it. The general goal for this profession is focused specialization through a variety of trait and legend choices. We’ll be continuing this in the future by assuring that each legend and core/elite specialization fulfills their respective roles. In this iteration, we’ll be looking to tone down the revenant’s sword damage in some areas and adjust the weapon’s abilities so that it’s less focused on autoattacking and better at singling out and attacking enemies. We’re also keeping a close eye on the revenant’s defensive capabilities.

Thief
In the recent history of thieves, their damage roles have been largely burst-based due to initiative, while their autoattacks do little to sustain their DPS. In addition, initiative often needs to be used defensively, which can take a toll on overall damage output. Our design for this profession tends to lean toward damage, mobility, and evasiveness. In the first quarter of this year, we’ll be looking to drastically improve thief melee autoattacks until their overall sustained damage when coupled with initiative use is extremely dangerous. In addition to the damage improvements, we’ve done a bit of reworking and improvements to the Acrobatics specialization line.

Warrior
We’ve taken a look at the warrior’s baseline abilities, adjusting cooldowns, damage, and in some cases even functionality. Our goal for this iteration is to give you a bit more to play with in a single weapon set so that the cooldowns feel more active and fun to play around with. Rifle has also seen a bit of a rework, gaining a more defensive nature while retaining its overall purpose of kill-shotting every enemy of Tyria. We’ll also be taking another pass at improving the berserker elite specialization, focusing on increasing its usability in various game modes and promoting more active skill use in trait design. Lastly, we’ll improve the warrior’s ability to sustain themselves in combat.

Thanks for joining us today for this high-level look at what’s coming in the balance update this quarter. Make sure to tune in for the January 15 episode of Guild Chat over on the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel for more in-depth discussion on the upcoming balance changes. If you’ve got feedback or ideas you’d like to give, feel free to post your thoughts, ideas, and constructive feedback on the official Guild Wars 2 forums. Until next time!

That quickness/slow change to stomping seems pretty big.

There's almost no reason for that post to be split into the profession blurbs. Outside of maybe a few things you can glean from lines like "warrior sustain" and mesmer scepter and such, it's a ton of fluff that says very little.

Like, Ranger will be looked at offensively AND defensively, whoa.

Guardian traits and abilities will have a more meaningful impact, wee.

Okay there's actually more there with the elementalist diamond skin and stuff like that, but the article feels extremely padded.

That is why it is called a preview with the whole thing being revealed on Friday.

In keeping with the general theme of improving less used options, we’ve been updating both traits and abilities to be more useful and to have a meaningful impact when you equip them. The dragonhunter elite specialization has proven to have a very solid impact in many areas of the game, but they’ve been a tad too effective in the areas of burst and disruption, and we’ll be looking to make slight adjustments in those areas.

RIP Dragon Hunter burst damage, .slight adjustment my ass, i expect the worse from GW2 anet balance patches...

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Necromancer
The necromancer and its reaper elite specialization have been trundling (slow-moving, nefarious) through the battlefield, cleaving foes down in style. During this quarterly update, we’ll be looking at improving a couple of elite specialization traits and working with the baseline shroud to give it a bit more functionality. Leeching Bolts (comboing a projectile in a dark field) will now also heal through your shroud form.

What does this even mean? That you'll be able to heal your base health pool while in shroud form? Does this even affect reaper as they dont have any projectiles on their shroud? I guess the rest is just elite spec number tuning.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ooh I think I get it now, but you need to combo off a dark field right? So you can put down the nightfall thingy where you have that dark vortex then go into reaper shroud and do the spin and it will trigger leeching bolts?

Sorry lol I never quite figured out how comboing worked my character would just randomly say "combination attack" so I figured I was doing it right.

Proven

The blog post is in the order of least needing adjustment to most. Elementalist and Engineer are mostly fine, so they'll be focusing on trait changes to pigeon hole them less, and possibly make Diamond Skin less polarizing.

Guardian has gotten a bit too much burst between meditations and traps, while Mesmer has a bit too much defense/utility when you throw Alacrity in the mix. They may even make Alacrity a boon! I just hope they don't lower the overall level of Alacrity and instead alter its trait and party interactions (the base amount given from certain skills and the amount it can be modified will likely be touched, for better or worse).

Necromancer and Ranger have become so very, very straightforward. Both classes technically have a lot of options, but given the meta in each mode they've quickly run into cookie cutter territory. If they make Ranger shouts awesome then I'm back on my Ranger again. Other than that, they need to be very, very careful. Certain things could use nerfs, but it'll be very, very easy to over nerf.

Revenant is too good. Especially Sword 1. Going to try and fix that and possibly give Sword 1 to Thief.

Like with Ranger shouts, they now have time to do a bit of rework on the Theif. The class has relied on initiative heavy bursts, combos, and movement. It's a get in and get out class, and that means its class design is the most narrow minded out of any in the game. So, they're going to try and expand on that. They'll deal with its lack of low commitment pressure and simultaneously try to shore up its more free (trait) forms of defense.

Warrior... may be getting a class overhaul. They also seem to really be against the idea of making Fast Hands baseline, so they're going in the opposite direction of trying to make it less necessary.

Edit:
Ooh I think I get it now, but you need to combo off a dark field right? So you can put down the nightfall thingy where you have that dark vortex then go into reaper shroud and do the spin and it will trigger leeching bolts?

Sorry lol I never quite figured out how comboing worked my character would just randomly say "combination attack" so I figured I was doing it right.
Exactly. Greatsword along with four out of five Wells are dark fields. Greatsword has a whirl on #2, and Reaper Shroud has one of the longest whirls on the game with its #4. It's honestly a buff to my Well Reaper.

Yeah, any dark field with a whirl finisher will trigger leeching bolts. All of the necro wells are dark fields as well (except the healing well that nobody uses, that's a light field).

Combos happen when you use a combo finisher on a combo field. The effect depends on what field and what finisher you use. If there's more than one field where you're using a finisher it takes the oldest existing field as priority. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo#Combo_effects

EDIT: Yeah they definitely meant whirl finisher, not projectile. Reaper shroud doesn't have any projectiles

So Anet needs to Fix Astralaria effects

I have only been able to see the rings around the fist clearly my Asuran 100% of the time, on larger characters rings appear to be in the fist and barely visible, and when they are visible no where close to the image..

gw072dto64.jpg

Another fix is footstep once again larger characters seem to be bugged, footsteps leave a ring on my Asuran, larger characters rarely see the ring...
Another bug, the blue effect on the entire arm sometimes don't turn on..

OK which one of you put pumpkin dick in the guild hall, I'm surprised someone didn't do this earlier lmao

LZdCvpQ.png

spoiler tagged for pumpkin dick

Proven

GW2 Patch Wish List mini series:

Warrior. Oh Warrior. As I've been trying out several builds I've come to understand a few things.

It doesn't feel like we have much access to fury or other precision altering buffs. Even in the Arms line, most of the crit traits rely on specific situations (e.g. only on burst skills, only on disabled foes, etc.). It's a relatively minor thing, as what we do have we make do with well enough, but it bugged me. For a lot of classes, what used to be their Precision trait line is considered underpowered because it doesn't keep pace with gear enough.

We don't have much access to swiftness. There's just Warhorn and a 25% speed trait, but that trait is in Discipline (which I'll get to in a second). Before, I understand this was because of our mobility skills, but there are two problems with that. First, our mobility skills are primarily on a few weapons, and second our mobility skills are no longer affected by swiftness. It'd be nice to have a little more mobility and/or swiftness access on other weapon sets/traits.

Fast Hands. Especially after Berserker came out, there remained only two options. Either everyone needed to have Fast Hands or everyone needed to be able to live without Fast Hands. They're currently going with the latter, and if that doesn't work out in the long run they can always do the former. I personally prefer the latter, only because I fear how huge, huge, huge a buff baseline Fast Hands would be across all game modes. Although, yeah, it'd be awesome...

Each class has different relationships with its trait lines. For Warrior, I'm not sure exactly what I'd change but I wish Defense wasn't necessary much of the time. Of the classes I play most heavily, Necromancer is the one that impresses me the most. You can currently craft a build around any three random trait lines and do decently well in PvP. The meta forces Necromancer to pick certain ones, but it's not an absolute necessity like it is for some other classes. Mesmer is in the same boat. Because of baseline profession skills, and the fact that they're buffed in some way through every trait line, you have options for offense and defense everywhere. One prime example is how in Mesmer's power trait line, Domination, there's a trait that gives distortion on signet use.

Of course, maybe the class has more of this than I think and I'm just being too stubborn with my build choices. But I also know I'm a generally stubborn player that loves to roll around in the underpowered mud, so if I think the class needs a certain threshold of change, either I'm missing something big or there really is smoke brewing here.

Retro

I honestly can't even begin to make a list of things I want to happen for GW2 this next year, after the kick in the balls that was yesterday any good news would be welcome.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So far I think my largest real issue with this game is just how things feel like they take unnecessarily long to do.

Hearts and some things in dungeons are the real culprits of this though.

I was doing a heart and I noticed just how absurd it felt that the game wanted me to do either of the 3 things almost 30 times to complete it.

Also certain events during the personal story just took wayyyy too long. In victory or death for example, the part where you're firing the canons against the 3 dragons that attack you, there are long periods where you're waiting for them to be attack-able, but no enemies spawning, or anything, so you're literally just waiting for the dragon to get into position, and then you have to do that for a 2nd dragon, and then a third and then zhaitan.

Like talk about unnecessary you know?

I don't think I'm explaining this properly but a lot of things in the game just feel like they should take half as long to do as they actually do.

I want the living story to actually be about some of the mysteries they left open when game came out, such as Feilds of Ruin gate towards Crystal Desert, or the Bandit Bridge in Brisbane woodlands. I don't need some random Mary Sue villain just because it's sounds fun for writers. Use the lore and history to actually move the story forward.

Don't leave too many holes to be filled by player theory. Actually answers questions about the story.

- Do not make every map have just 1 map wide meta.
- Lets see updates to current zones with new metas or events that relate to the Living World.
- Dungeon Hard Mode/Redesign or add new paths that are much harder and fit with the theme of Living World.

Too many things...I need to do actual work at work so I'll stop here.

Proven

I honestly can't even begin to make a list of things I want to happen for GW2 this next year, after the kick in the balls that was yesterday any good news would be welcome.
Retro, wait until today's blogpost. If they can't even get that out then I'll pitchfork for you while I'm on the way to work this afternoon. Yesterday was just the preview for the Guild Chat coming this Friday, and to counteract people hating on Pro League. They said Tuesday for the general blog post.

This one won't happen Dungeons coming back, Fractals is already boring me, 8 dungeons, 8 different reward tracks, they force fractal on us, with what 1 reward track? few days ago I was bored tried to run AC, after 10mins party never filled up, i gave up and told the 2 pugs that joined i am done, they understood and blamed Anet for this shit..

Wanderer5

This one won't happen Dungeons coming back, Fractals is already boring me, 8 dungeons, 8 different reward tracks, they force fractal on us, with what 1 reward track? few days ago I was bored tried to run AC, after 10mins party never filled up, i gave up and told the 2 pugs that joined i am done, they understood and blamed Anet for this shit..

So sad.:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom