• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Lots of great stuff in there.

My favorites:

Toggle to show all interact objects. No more holding down alt!

New fractals

Lunar New year! Dragon ball PvP is the best. Sounds like there might be new achievements too.

Profession updates every three months aww yiss

Shatner getting update Wat???? Totally excited.

Eager to see more stuff, possibly get into raiding, who knows.

Won

New backpacks! Can't ever have enough of those! /snark

At least gliding in Tyria comes soon and they don't ask you to jump through additional hoops for it. That's something. I applaud them for that. Should mix up things a bit.

The rest....eh. Didn't expect the living story not coming back soon thing at all.

Even if they put in a mastery line for gliding in central Tyria I'd be happy, my exp from fractals isn't going anywhere anyways :(

Fractal leaderboards sound boring but I will wait until I see it to be grouchy about it

Morokh

Shatterer is a good unexpected surprise, but for everything else, nothing really meaty until March, kind of bummed at no LS3 until at least March :(

Curious to see what's up with Gliding in Tyria, from the maps where there is barely any verticality, to things it might break, there's quite a long list of things to adress.

nan0

Shatterer update kinda hints in which direction story-wise LW S3 will go, and matches some hints in the previous story.

Proven

New Fractal Idea: How Rytlock got his powers.

"Hey cub, what in those humans' loving deities are you doing here in the mists?"

"A fractal, eh? Well help me beat up this guy for my sword back."

"Who are you? Mallyk? You want to use me as a medium to regain a foothold into Tryia? Whatever, you're just a ghost, give me new powers already."

"Stop worrying Glint, I got this. Oh, you know about Glint? Great, saves me time from explaining. We're Mist buddies."

"Heading back so soon, cub? Fine, take this. Glint says it'll help us beat that purple winged annoyance that snuffed out Snaff. Let me know after you've got it analyzed and I'll know you're all caught up."

"Glint, I told you already, this won't cause a paradox or whatever!"

Hedge

Wow, a long time until S3 of LS. If they can deliver all those answers then I'll be impressed. Just nothing as half-assed like the HoT story, please!

seems good. Was hoping on Dungeons being merged with fractals.

nice to hear about new fractals, but nothing on new guild missions? nothing on changes to scribe? nothing on SAB?

No ETA on WvW overhaul!
I hope moa racing returns with the lunar festival.
shatter update. i hope it will be a really nice alternative to Teq. Would be really nice.

Sounds good:)

The support changes that means you get reward participation for healing and boons is a game changer for me. gonna whip out my support character in PvE now8)
Glad to see people can no longer rez the dead in combat. has always frustrated me.

Survivors have begun to regroup or gone home to mourn the dead while the heroes of the great invasion into the jungle investigate a strange disturbance to the north.

... so the next expansion is jormag?

Please.. I want Cantha. :( I miss cantha so much. CANTHA!!

Emitan

Heart of Thorns final boss (?) spoilers

Am I missing something or is the gliding phase bugged? My character yells to get into the air but I cant use the updrafts to get into the air half the time. Sometimes she shoots into the air and the game won't let me open my glider. And if Mordy hits me once with a rock I'm dead and I don't know how to dodge them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tequatl treatment for Shatterer is fun and long overdue, but there's not much else here. I do like Dragon Ball though.

But if I can jump off of the summit of Mount Maelstrom and glide I will be happy enough indeed.

Retro

On to the "State of the Game" post;
Pros:
  • Shatterer getting a revamp. He's the one who needs it the most, I think.
  • WvW Kills and death changes could make commanders stop turning tail the instant they see another blob.
  • A new raid wing, I guess. Nothing I want but it's a pro for the tiny sliver of players who raid.
  • New Fractals. Finally. Only been 2 years.
Meh:
  • Gliding in Central Tyria is useless without details. Can they be used in JPs? Will there be reasons to glide or is it just a parachute?
  • Fractal QoL updates seems like stuff they should have implemented in HoT. Whatever.
  • Likewise with event participation recognizing support. Should have been in the base game.
  • Squad QoL updates should have been in with the new Squad UI too.
  • More decorations for our guild hall that sound inordinately expensive to buy.
  • Lunar New Year is kind of a dull holiday, maybe there will be new back items (yay?)
  • More PvP leagues.
Boo:
  • No Living Story until after March?
  • Brew of the Month club is an uninspired, slow-burn login reward. How is this worth a blurb in an article like this?
  • *~*~ <xXx420evryday><E-sP0RtZ!><xXx360noscope> ~*~*

Biggest Eyebrow-raising line award:
This means a focus on new content and polish for our existing, successful parts of the game.

"Successful Parts of the Game" sounds like anything they deem unsuccessful isn't getting touched ever again, even in this year of polishing and adding depth. Dungeons? Not gonna happen. Guild Missions? Keep dreaming.

Retro, wait until today's blogpost. If they can't even get that out then I'll pitchfork for you while I'm on the way to work this afternoon. Yesterday was just the preview for the Guild Chat coming this Friday, and to counteract people hating on Pro League. They said Tuesday for the general blog post.

I wasn't even thinking GW2 stuff. Bunch of personal stuff going on (sick in-laws, car is crapping out, etc) and Bowie dying hit me really hard. That's all. I didn't even see their thing from yesterday until this morning.

... so the next expansion is jormag?

The raid zone is to the north of Maguuma zones, I think that's what they mean there.

Retro

Apologies for the double post, patch notes are live; https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-January-12-2016

I've gotta be honest, there's some pretty good ones in here and one big giant "Fuck you."
01/12/16&#8212;January 12 Release Notes
BALANCE, BUG-FIXING, POLISH
  • Dragon&#8217;s Stand
    • Bongo the One-Eyed now has the appropriate number of eyes.
  • Tangled Depths
    • Improved the readability of the Tangled Depths world map.
General
  • Changed glider deployment to be more tolerant of network latency.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause gathering resources to give ruined materials while the player was transformed.
  • Fixed the layout used for achievement names to prevent long names from overflowing the UI boundary.

Items
  • Updated the descriptions for Mordrem and Evergreen rare trophies.
  • Ascended Trailblazer&#8217;s gear now uses exotic insignias and inscriptions in its mystic forge recipes.
  • Purchase confirmation text for runes and sigils on dungeon vendors will no longer show their suffix text twice.
  • All exotic leatherworker and tailor shoe recipes properly use two soles in their recipes.
  • Hope IV&#8212;Charged Dwarven Spell Trap: Double-clicking the dwarven spell trap after collecting the three ancient magics to charge it will grant the charged dwarven spell trap.
  • Candy canes have been added to Festive Materials storage.
  • Consume All has been added to snowflakes to convert them to higher tiers.
  • Twilight I&#8212;Malchor&#8217;s Demise: This collectible can be earned from the &#8220;Defeat the possessed statue of Dwayna&#8221; event at the Cathedral of Zephyrs .
  • Bolt I&#8212;Malchor&#8217;s Notes: This collectible can be earned from the &#8220;Defeat the possessed statue of Dwayna&#8221; event at the Cathedral of Zephyrs.
  • Astralaria IV&#8212;Magnification Lens: This collectible can be earned from the &#8220;Ensure that the Pact holds the Gates of Arah&#8221; event at the Narthex.
  • Charging legendary collectibles at a place of power will now take priority over charging quartz.
  • Branded devourer ichor can be earned by defeating the giant Branded devourer in the Fields of Ruin.
  • The salvage rates for resonating fragments, cores, and lodestones have been updated. They will now always give 3 of their salvaged materials.
  • Hope IV&#8212;Risen Crystalline Phial: A new champion Risen wraith has appeared at the Cathedral of Eternal Radiance during downtimes after the temple has been captured.
Structured Player vs. Player
  • Changed Ranked Arena matchmaking to only consider the placement of the highest division player for matchmaking when in a party.
  • Achievements:
    • The &#8220;Revered&#8221; PvP Conqueror Achievement has been updated to give the same number of achievement points as the other profession achievements of this type.
    • The &#8220;Champion Revered&#8221; PvP Conqueror Achievement has been updated to give the same number of achievement points as the other profession achievements of this type.
    • Updated the &#8220;Primordial Legend&#8221; achievement to complete and award the title for players who have completed the &#8220;League Champion&#8221; achievement during the first season.
World vs. World
  • Fixed a bug with the Supply Drop guild upgrade that caused it to grant more than 100 supply at larger objectives.
  • Fixed a bug with the Hardened Gates guild upgrade that caused it to also prevent damage from siege golems.
  • Changed the yellow guild dot map markers to no longer be displayed to guild members who are on an opposing team.
  • Fixed a bug that could cause reinforced and fortified walls to become invulnerable after having been destroyed once.
BLACK LION TRADING COMPANY GEM STORE
New Items and Promotions
  • Shared Inventory Slots are now available starting at 700 gems each in the Upgrade category of the Gem Store. These slots will allow an item placed in them to be accessible by any character on the account. These slots will appear at the top of your inventory once purchased. Each account can have up to 5 Shared Inventory Slots at this time.
  • Wintersday is coming to a close, and as such, presents have been removed from all Black Lion Chests.

Shared inventory slots should be free at this point, or at the very least buying them should unlock all 5. Instead, you have to pay a shitload of gems for each of them. So if you already bought the items you'd actually want to put in those slots (permanent harvesting tools, salvage-o-tron), now you get to pay for the privilege of having them account wide. This is the scammiest thing they've ever put into the Gem Store.

Quenk

Shared Inventory Slots are now available starting at 700 gems each in the Upgrade category of the Gem Store. These slots will allow an item placed in them to be accessible by any character on the account. These slots will appear at the top of your inventory once purchased. Each account can have up to 5 Shared Inventory Slots at this time

Instabuy for me

Shared Item needs testing, if it works like i think it works i no longer need to buy salvage kits for other characters, i can put the Copper-matic in the shared slot, also looks fucking expensive could be 1 slot for 700gems..since we have a max of 5 slots only..

Edit

Yup it's expensive
1=700gems
3=1890gems
5=2800gems

_woLf

There's a bundle discount for the bank slots, for what it's worth.

I'm seeing 1 for 700, 3 for 1890 and 5 for 2800.

Retro

Such a bargain for a feature that could easily have been standard from day 1.

I'm with you there. This should be a free QoL update, or at the very least they should give you a bunch of slots free and then allow you to purchase more if you want them, like bank tabs / bag slots.

qkLT3Ql.jpg

Retro

Got 1 poor now...

Ugh, they squat in the inventory like that? That's a deal breaker. I use 10 or 20 slot bags because having little empty spaces drives me insane. So I'd need to buy 10 of the damn things (and I can't, obviously) or every time I open my bag it would drive me insane.

Obviously if you're just using one giant bag it's fine, but I don't.

Also, they need a fucking "Adventurer Wallet" or something for Shovels / Crow Bars / Lockpicks / Bandit Keys / Chak Acid / Machetes / Exalted Keys / Essences of Nightmare. You know, items you want available to all characters.

Quenk

Well, they're not "Keys" so that doesn't exactly fit thematically. Honestly, they could call it my Grandfather's Salty Taint and I'd be happy to just have a huge chunk of my inventory back.

Don't worry. It'll be available in the gem store in 8 months.

Ashodin

Even WITH the one bag rules them all setting, it sits in an annoying top section that creates this kind of "claustrophobia" for your items.

I prefer the top section of the inventory completely empty to easily see new items being added.

I'm with you there. This should be a free QoL update, or at the very least they should give you a bunch of slots free and then allow you to purchase more if you want them, like bank tabs / bag slots.

I think the fair thing to do would've been to bundle a slot with certain premium gem store items, such as the Royal Terrance permapass and Copper-Fed Salvage-O-Matic, sort of the way Anet changed perma gathering tools to be account-wide instead of soulbound per character.

Ugh, they squat in the inventory like that? That's a deal breaker. I use 10 or 20 slot bags because having little empty spaces drives me insane. So I'd need to buy 10 of the damn things (and I can't, obviously) or every time I open my bag it would drive me insane.

Obviously if you're just using one giant bag it's fine, but I don't.

Also, they need a fucking "Adventurer Wallet" or something for Shovels / Crow Bars / Lockpicks / Bandit Keys / Chak Acid / Machetes / Exalted Keys / Essences of Nightmare. You know, items you want available to all characters.

I would love this, I have 50Chak Acid on Main had to buy more yesterday on Warrior because i was doing TD map exploration...

Ashodin

Biggest Eyebrow-raising line award:
This means a focus on new content and polish for our existing, successful parts of the game.
"Successful Parts of the Game" sounds like anything they deem unsuccessful isn't getting touched ever again, even in this year of polishing and adding depth. Dungeons? Not gonna happen. Guild Missions? Keep dreaming.

I'm right in there with you on this. This infuriates me to no end, as it seems like they're entirely focused on results and not what is "fun" for the game as a whole.

Sounds like MOB's bog-standard "it's all in the numbers" rhetoric.

Mxrz

I bought five. Yeah the price is steep. Yeah I'd prefer a bag slot. But there are probably some severe technical issues that revolve around this stuff. Anytime a game messes with storage/db stuff, bad things can happen. Anyhow. Its expensive, but now all 12 of my characters have access to my salvage bot and gathering tools. Any future characters I make will too.

If you aren't a big alt person, probably not worth it. But as someone who rarely plays their 'main' in pve, its pretty nice. I'll most likely buy more if they raise the cap. Its just too useful not to.

Heart of Thorns final boss (?) spoilers

Am I missing something or is the gliding phase bugged? My character yells to get into the air but I cant use the updrafts to get into the air half the time. Sometimes she shoots into the air and the game won't let me open my glider. And if Mordy hits me once with a rock I'm dead and I don't know how to dodge them.

Its really glitchy in general. Half the time your npcs will get stuck during the 'final' phase bit. Sometimes updrafts don't appear. Sometimes, bubble/jump isn't there, sometimes the breakbar doesn't work. Its been my experience if you die once, everything goes to hell.

Retro

The Tree outfit would be okay without the ridiculous bird shoulder. You can hide the moosehat at least but that shoulder is just... no. Very WoW-esque.

My wife and I are convimced they make really good armor/outfits then someone comes along and adds one dumb thing to ruin it. Like the last step for approval is some marketing guy takes a crack at it.

Emitan

Its really glitchy in general. Half the time your npcs will get stuck during the 'final' phase bit. Sometimes updrafts don't appear. Sometimes, bubble/jump isn't there, sometimes the breakbar doesn't work. Its been my experience if you die once, everything goes to hell.

Well at least it's not my fault...

I probably won't bother until i can run it with at least one other person to make it go faster.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Maguuma is messing me up real good, I think I might have to try this reaper cavalier tank build people are talking about, just something to survive these champions.

Also anyone know the best way to get hero points to max out my elite spec? I know the maguuma ones give you 10 but is there a guide or something to getting them when you're just starting out? I dont have my glider yet because I need to get more XP.

Quenk

Maguuma is messing me up real good, I think I might have to try this reaper cavalier tank build people are talking about, just something to survive these champions.

Also anyone know the best way to get hero points to max out my elite spec? I know the maguuma ones give you 10 but is there a guide or something to getting them when you're just starting out? I dont have my glider yet because I need to get more XP.

Dulfy has guides on how to get the various hero points and lists what's needed for each one. Without gliding you won't be able to access many of them though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well then, I guess I'll just uh do stuff in the jungle to get my glider.
Also do I went vigil but I really want a piece of the whisper armor set, so does that mean I need to level a new character to 40 to join whispers and buy their stuff to unlock it for everyone?

Ashodin

The Tree outfit would be okay without the ridiculous bird shoulder. You can hide the moosehat at least but that shoulder is just... no. Very WoW-esque.

My wife and I are convimced they make really good armor/outfits then someone comes along and adds one dumb thing to ruin it. Like the last step for approval is some marketing guy takes a crack at it.

obligatory put a bird on it!

Mxrz

Made and tomed a Charr thief. Instead of pure glass like my other thief, playing in whatever soldier-like stats leystone armor uses. Using traps, venoms, tricks and all that stuff too. It feels a lot more fun. I just wish it wasn't so ineffective compared to zerk/glass/dps.

Well at least it's not my fault...

I probably won't bother until i can run it with at least one other person to make it go faster.
There might be some scaling woes. When I duo'd it, it seemed to have absolutely massive health.

Taffer

Well then, I guess I'll just uh do stuff in the jungle to get my glider.
Also do I went vigil but I really want a piece of the whisper armor set, so does that mean I need to level a new character to 40 to join whispers and buy their stuff to unlock it for everyone?

Yep, you'll need to play a character to the point where they join an order three times to get all the skins (Priory/Whispers/Vigil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom