• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading the list of JPs on the wiki and a lot of them end indoors or up on a ledge higher than anything else easy to jump on (why wouldn't you just do the JP in this case?). I think JPs are fine.

Obviously there are exceptions (Griffinrook Run, Pig Iron Quarry, Behem Gauntlet are the first that come to mind) but Mesmer portals already existed and required even less effort, if you aren't going to properly do them post-gliding you probably weren't before anyways. But those examples I mentioned are probably the cases where they are going to put a no-fly zone.

It will depend on how the no-fly zones work, of course.
It will be like Aion, where suddenly my wings won't work. Alas.

It will be the same notice that you get when you swim to the edge of a map, iirc. It'll give you a warning when you get too close.

One thing I can't follow some of you guys on is complaining that gliding doesn't have some extra incentive tied to it. That'd merely be icing on the cake. The point of playing the game is to have fun and TONS of people think gliding is fun. If you don't, sorry but I think it's a blast and now imagine all the views we'll get being able to do it in every zone. It's more than just a parachute. It being a parachute is awesome too though because it's incredibly jarring having to deal with impact damage/deaths or wasting time working my way down from high ledges when I'm trying to take a shortcut from where I'm at or get down from a vista after experiencing gliding in Maguuma. So gliding is both fun and useful and that's all the reason you need. It's a big deal to many people so a worthwhile and big addition just as it is. If you can't dig that, sorry not sorry ;P

Spyware

Today's gliding post thingy actually made me look forward to that "ignore HoT, just level normally" plan I had. It's not gonna change much (especially not since I can't level up my gliding from that first basic one I got) but at least I get to see all those gliders I've gotten and not feel like I wasted my money as much :)
I wish they would go back and polish the old zones but I understand that they are busy with things they and many others see as more important. Making "that person who just levels 45 characters in the old zones and never touch group content or HoT" happy can't come high on their list :p

xeris

Didn't read it so didn't know about the no-fly zones. So they're not only adding flight for no particular reason other than to jump off stuff that already exists, they're arbitrarily deciding where it won't work based on "reasons?" Yeah, sounds like ANet.

Edit: Remember how they said they wouldn't add mounts unless there was a reason for them other than just travel? I guess technically gliding isn't mounts, but yeah.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Blizzard is using ArenaNet models now.
TreeBotanist.jpg

Didn't read it so didn't know about the no-fly zones. So they're not only adding flight for no particular reason other than to jump off stuff that already exists, they're arbitrarily deciding where it won't work based on "reasons?" Yeah, sounds like ANet.

Edit: Remember how they said they wouldn't add mounts unless there was a reason for them other than just travel? I guess technically gliding isn't mounts, but yeah.

You should probably read it before making comments like this. It says that they are using it in as few of places as possible because otherwise you take away all the fun and what's the point? They are putting it at the end of certain JPs so you can't skip the whole JP. It's not just 'reasons' and it's not arbitrary. Now if they end up putting it in dumb spots for no reason, complain then but from what they said today, that doesn't sound like it will be the case.

Also had the thought Spyware did in terms of gliding skins not being a waste now. I wanted a cooler looking design but wasn't willing to waste gems on something I could only use in one area. Problem solved! Alas, I'm sure that snow one is gone now...

Proven

Patch Notes:
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a client crash.
  • Fixed a bug that could allow players to glide indefinitely without having trained Advanced Gliding Mastery. Deploying your glider now requires a small amount of gliding endurance.

xeris

You should probably read it before making comments like this. It says that they are using it in as few of places as possible because otherwise you take away all the fun and what's the point? They are putting it at the end of certain JPs so you can't skip the whole JP. It's not just 'reasons' and it's not arbitrary. Now if they end up putting it in dumb spots for no reason, complain then but from what they said today, that doesn't sound like it will be the case.

Also had the thought Spyware did in terms of gliding skins not being a waste now. I wanted a cooler looking design but wasn't willing to waste gems on something I could only use in one area. Problem solved! Alas, I'm sure that snow one is gone now...

Nope, it is "reasons" because there's no real in-game story reason for it. It's arbitrary because do you really think that in lore there'll be a reason beyond "well, there's a jp there?" It's mechanics for the sake of mechanics. That doesn't bug some people, but it bugs me. I prefer my game to have consistancy. It helps my suspension of disbelief. Planes don't just magically stop working when they enter a no-fly zone. Hell, at least before they could handwave it only being in HoT cause "giant tree creates goofy weather patterns that allow gliding." Main Tyria? "Well, gliding works except when we say it doesn't." That doesnt, well, fly with me. Like I said, some like you don't and won't care. Different games for different people and all that.

Nope, it is "reasons" because there's no real in-game story reason for it. It's arbitrary because do you really think that in lore there'll be a reason beyond "well, there's a jp there?" It's mechanics for the sake of mechanics. That doesn't bug some people, but it bugs me. I prefer my game to have consistancy. It helps my suspension of disbelief. Planes don't just magically stop working when they enter a no-fly zone. Hell, at least before they could handwave it only being in HoT cause "giant tree creates goofy weather patterns that allow gliding." Main Tyria? "Well, gliding works except when we say it doesn't." That doesnt, well, fly with me. Like I said, some like you don't and won't care. Different games for different people and all that.

"reasons" means there's literally no reason conveyed by the company. A mechanical reason is a legitimate reason, preventing game content from being trivialized when it's supposed to have an element of challenge is a legitimate reason. I took issue with you acting as though there wasn't a reason, that's all. At least you state in this post why it really bothers you, you want it to make sense in the game world or mythos. Fair enough but you already can't go literally anywhere in any RPG anyway so how is this really any different than hitting the border of a zone and it forces you to go back? It's not going to be all over the place where suddenly you're gliding through the middle of the zone and smack! No fly zone! It's going to be in very specific spots, JPs, that are out of the way of most of the zone. Just do the JP proper and poof, no destruction to your consistent world theme.

xeris

"reasons" means there's literally no reason conveyed by the company. A mechanical reason is a legitimate reason, preventing game content from being trivialized when it's supposed to have an element of challenge is a legitimate reason. I took issue with you acting as though there wasn't a reason, that's all. At least you state in this post why it really bothers you, you want it to make sense in the game world or mythos. Fair enough but you already can't go literally anywhere in any RPG anyway so how is this really any different than hitting the border of a zone and it forces you to go back? It's not going to be all over the place where suddenly you're gliding through the middle of the zone and smack! No fly zone! It's going to be in very specific spots, JPs, that are out of the way of most of the zone. Just do the JP proper and poof, no destruction to your consistent world theme.

Who said zone borders don't bug me? At least there they usually put a wall or mountain range or something to block you. Now we're going to hit a giant wall of air. Remember, all of this is from a company that said they'd only put in fast travel if it made sense to do so beyond just going faster. And yeah, it'll be in specific spots. Like the middle of the Sylvari starting zone. See that big flying rock up there? Nope, can't fly from it. Why? Cause we said so!

I tend to find this link on GNS theory useful when thinking of game design, what I prefer, and what works. GW2 started out simulationist to a great extent and that's where my interest in MMOs tends to be. The best, of course, was SWG, but for modern MMOs GW2 was the best we had. Over time they decided to move more gamist. That's fine and that's there choice. The problem in my opinion is there's other games that do that style better. As GW2 goes more gamist there's less reason for me to play it over my other options. The way they're adding gliding is just another on the list.

Retro

My problem with gliding isn't that they're allowing gliding in the old world. I think it's perfectly fine, and it'll save me a lot of accidental deaths. They aren't 100% clear on whether you have to be 80 for it to work or not, but I can live without it even though it'd be great for alts.

What bugs me is that they've said "We won't allow gliding in the core world because it would break the map" in interviews before HoT. Here's one from last January;

Colin Johanson said:
Take hang-gliding, for example. "We will more than likely only be able to do that in the Jungle initially, because it would break a lot of maps in the core world we have today," Johanson says. "It will expand beyond that though as we add more maps and content to the game - all of those have the capacity to include hang-gliding as well." (source)

Before they were worried about breaking the maps. Now? "Fuck it! Break the map! It's all fun anyways, right?!" It seems like they looked at how much work it would take to change the old zones so gliding had a purpose to exist and didn't completely break the game, and decided "Who cares?," or worse, they made a calculated decision not to do something because there wasn't enough profit in it. It's not a "Lazy Devs" thing because the devs aren't anywhere close to lazy, but it shows a certain... callous attitude towards the old world where, before HoT, they were always making a fuss about how important the old content is and now it's just "LOL, whatever, right?!". It feels weird to read comments like this...

"Guild Wars fans have been waiting for an expansion pack, but they have very specific ideas as to what they want in an expansion pack," said ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O'Brien told me in an interview. "We have a lot of fans who feel abused by the process of other MMOs. MMOs have the assumption that you're supposed to dedicate your life to it. Each expansion pack is going to invalidate all the work you did before. It's going to be a constantly moving goal post. Because we have a lot of people coming to Guild Wars 2 who have done that kind of thing before, they don't want to be doing it again." (source)

... and all their talk about keeping content relevant and having a Living World, but then completely wave off having to put in the work to make gliding in the old world feel relevant beyond "Oops, I fell" and breaking out of the map. It just seems like if they were going to go there, they should have gone all out. I feel like that doesn't bode well for other parts of the game too, and that little line in Colin's State of the Game article still bugs me; "This means a focus on new content and polish for our existing, successful parts of the game." It's almost a Catch 22; a given piece of content isn't successful enough to improve because it hasn't been improved for years because it's not successful enough to improve...

To complete gliding, they need to add Aerial battles, map with no ground just updrafts...weapons would be unlocked through a mastery line, rocket launchers or some crazy shit lol..

My problem with gliding isn't that they're allowing gliding in the old world. I think it's perfectly fine, and it'll save me a lot of accidental deaths. They aren't 100% clear on whether you have to be 80 for it to work or not, but I can live without it even though it'd be great for alts.

My level 20 alt can glide in the Guild Hall, so I'd be surprised if pre-80 alts aren't able to glide in core maps.

Wanderer5

Congrats guys.

Kind of wish I can get around checking out the raid heh. Probably just end up sticking with Fractals (which bout freaking time that there be new fractals, even if they are still quite a bit away it seems).

Zeroth

Really nice to kill Gorseval with our group, we have been getting better on each attempt, so it was only a matter of time. Kill came one attempt after we killing him but not getting credit (he aparently died 1 second after his World Eater went off). Needless to say, fuck you Gorseval.

Proven

The way I see it about the gliding thing:

"People are harping about how bad they want it, do we really, really have to keep it out of Core Tyria?"

"Dude, the plan's the plan."

"I'm just saying, what's the absolute minimum we can do to throw them a treat that they're begging for."

"Well, not too much. The bare minimum would be to fix jumping puzzles to protect rewards. There's not much else in the core world that would provide much of an advantage. Would have to check instances though."

"How long would all of that take?"

"I guess about a week or two before we could throw it into QA. They probably wouldn't take long to give some feedback on spots we missed and then throw it back at them."

"Perfect, that should be in time for the January patch."

Okay that was too many lines just to say that it looks like they're just trying to do something nice without causing too much interruption for their other plans, and were willing to go back on their own words in order to make it happen. But sure, it can also been seen as ANet once again going a bit astray.

Retro

To reiterate; I think it's cool that we're getting this "treat" from ArenaNet and it's something I didn't expect them to ever get around to doing (mostly because doing it right seemed like it would take a lot of work). My gripe is that the way they've been communicating this improvement makes it sound like they're just throwing it in and anything that breaks isn't a big deal because LOL, it's old content who cares.

I'm not even really that annoyed that they're just shoving it in without changing the zones much beyond generic "no fly zones." The ArenaNet at launch, where people made Jumping Puzzles in their spare time and hid stuff everywhere just because it was fun seems to have been replaced. Obviously we'll have to wait until the next update to know if anything at all ways added, but from the sound of things it won't be much.

I'm not going to call it a pro or a con, this gets sorted under "missed opportunities."

The original statement didn't make sense "gliding in core world will break the maps". So what. you just file a bug report and set up an invisible wall. doesn't have to be more complicated than that. So I am glad they came to their senses and listened. you cant push a mastery system on the entire game and only have the stuff working in 4 maps.

I'm looking forward to it, but there are a couple of places were updraft would be fun. That Krait spot in maelstorm where you climb the wooden fortress thing. would be nice with more gush of wind. Same in the volcano, if after mega destroyer you could get a massive gush of wind and be erupted out of the map. Small things like that would be appreciated, but I am glad that they are not making the core world into HoT.
I just notice I miss gliding when I jump of a roof of a building or a hill and I cant glide.

the small amount of time you can glide in GW2 keeps you grounded. it makes it so people cant bypass all the content.
If Living World Season 3 adds new zones and updates old ones, they might have some alternative secret paths and places for gliding.

I think such a place is DryTop. I don't like the aspects. I wish they would replace the stuff with HoT mechanics. aspects are laggy and unresponsive.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Tried some WvW for the first time today to get the last 100 whatever-currency to get a Gift of Mastery. That was certainly kind of dumb. I was getting flashbacks to the couple times I tried to play Planetside 2 where large groups of people would squad up and then just pillage empty outposts while avoiding any actual confrontation (no integrated squad voice chat for the commander to blast dubstep thru, unfortunately).

The few times my squad actually clashed with an enemy squad or stormed or defended a castle were a lot of fun and ended in a crazy bloodbath. I'm definitely into that. Less so into AFK running around grabbing objectives. One time I got separated from my squad when I accidentally started following the wrong Dorito. My new squad lured an enemy squad into a cave system and then my actual squad came to rescue us by sandwiching the enemies in a bottleneck and we massacred everybody. I want more of that kind of stuff!

There's definitely some potential to have fun with that, but I think I'm going to ignore it until the revamp now that I have enough of the currency. I'll stick to the regular PVP for now. I at least felt like I was contributing to an effort there, whether it be a winning or losing one.

spiritfox

Are you playing in the borderlands or in Edge of the Mists? The borderlands are where the actual fighting happens. EOTM is mostly a place where people go to karmatrain and mess around. Haven't played in a while though.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Are you playing in the borderlands or in Edge of the Mists? The borderlands are where the actual fighting happens. EOTM is mostly a place where people go to karmatrain and mess around. Haven't played in a while though.

I tried a couple of the options, sorry I don't know their names yet. I went to the one that was like "Stormbluff Isle something-or-another" first because I thought it would have mostly people from our server making it easier for a noob, but I couldn't figure out out to leave the entrance area.

The one that was up in the sky on floating islands was the one where we just ran around taking objectives most of the time. I thought this map sucked badly. I hated randomly falling off the map and every time we ran into enemies it was like 10 seconds of brief fighting then everybody turned and ran.

The one I spent the most time in (and the one that was the most fun) was the one that seemed pretty evenly matched between all 3 servers with the big castle in the middle that our 2 squads managed to take while I was playing. Definitely the most action there and I saw roving squads from both servers and we clashed with them a couple times, Braveheart style. The two commanders on the map were doing a lot of map chatting and coordinating.

Is there any reason to do the other maps other than that one with the castle in the middle? Seems silly to spread the player base out into the other ones, but I'm not sure what pros/cons there are to them at all.

Proven

The first map you went on was the Desert Borderland. There are three, and they are mirrors of each other made so that each server can have at least one map where they spawn at the top. Normally, yes, this is where you want to start if you want to contribute to your side. We probably won't be in normal circumstances until the revamp unless the community magically revitalizes itself. For future reference, the exits on the north spawn are to the left and right; follow the walking path out through one of the hexagonal gates.

The second map you visited was Edge of the Mists. At one point there were too many people queuing into WvW on some servers, and on others there were people who'd get bored if they were playing during a certain time and their enemies weren't on. So Edge of the Mists was created as a sort of multi-server lobby where you can still earn progress for personal achievements, but doesn't count towards the final score. Since it doesn't matter, most people are there for profit rather than winning.

The third map you visited was the Eternal Battlegrounds. This map is currently the most straightforward of the WvW maps and the oldest map available, so much of the community that cares about fighting likes to congregate there.

I never did post about how I felt about the new maps... did I? Personally, I like them, but it's more from a strategic point of view than a love of fights point of view. But I was also never much of a fan of open field fighting over plain flat ground.

I don't know if any of you played GW1, but that game was full of inconsistencies after a campaign or expansion came out. No heroes in Prophecies or Factions, but everywhere else sure. Updated UI dialog boxes for everywhere except Prophecies. No Tyrian armor for Assissin, Ritualist, Dervish, or Paragon; no Canthan armor for Dervish and Paragon. PvE titles (AKA Masteries) only worked in certain zones. I could go on.

I'm just glad that they're going to look at existing content this year, because it was starting to feel like GW1 in restrictions when you couldn't glide in Core Tyria. It would be nice if they could sparingly add mushrooms throughout Tyria, or have stealth detection work all throughout.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yo this cavalier reaper tank build though!!

I feel like I can take on any challenge Maguuma throws at me! My damage output is almost the same as zerkers, only slightly lower because I took to take death magic instead of spite but who cares I'm still a beast.

The damage has a slight ramp up since it starts going full ham once the enemy has around 18 stacks of vulnerability or so because at that point my crit chance out of shroud is 51% so in shroud it's 101%

But wow what a riot it's super tanky and super bursty so it feels nice in a group, and in maguuma exploring / questing.

Here is the build if anyone has any suggestions on what to do with it to make it better, but it is a fairly standard affair for this kind of thing so I don't think it's particularly different from most of the other variants of this, I think the difference are that I use axes and I run an extra shout.

The only reason I run axes in the secondary over daggers is because I wanted a way to be able to generate Life Force from range and also just have a minor ranged option while being able to have access to warhorn.

I also run Rise! over Well of corruption, even though well of corruption is super handy for additional Life Force generation and extra damage I feel like Rise! has saved my ass far more times since it's like a 50% damage reduction with a little bit of damage behind it. I am having a ton of fun with this, the only real issue with this build is no real might generation outside of the 1-5 stacks you get with you are all weaklings! but oh well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well I for one am absolutely thrilled with gliding in core Tyria, who cares that they didn't add any gliding-specific content or anything to the old maps? Gliding just feels like part of the game now, and jumping around in core Tyria and not having my glider deploy feels like something is missing. There's plenty of high places to jump off in the old world and plenty new views to see. Yay for gliding

I feel like people are going to be upset with anything ArenaNet does from here on out. If they *did* add new glider-specific content to old maps people would be like "anet what the fuck where is the living story/SAB/new events/whatever else" and if they didn't people would still be upset that gliding in core Tyria hasn't happened yet

I can agree that they are making some weird decisions and I don't like most of them but I'm going to thoroughly enjoy jumping off things
mhm. there are lots of places I want to try gliding just for fun. and being able to use any cliff/fall as a vertical shortcut because of the ability to avoid falling damage is a huge change-up of the navigational restrictions on a lot of maps as well. I don't have any issues with any of this.

their acknowledgement that map-breaking isn't altogether unexpected because the original maps weren't even remotely designed with gliding in mind is just honest realism. There's no substantive gameplay impact that will break anything or that even could, except for jumping puzzles, and they seemingly have put in the effort of putting in no-fly zones to protect the challenges there. In many cases they wouldn't have been helped by gliding to begin with because you can only descend.
xeris said:
oh for fuck's sake.

explodet

Yo this cavalier reaper tank build though!!
I only went Cav Reaper at launch because the armor was cheap. Turned out GREAT for me too. I forget to enter shroud to save my ass sometimes, which is more often than I'd like to admit.

I concentrated on chill damage so I went Spite, but it's hard to make a bad build.
And yeah, Rise is stupid good. Even without any minion boosting traits it's good.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I only went Cav Reaper at launch because the armor was cheap. Turned out GREAT for me too. I forget to enter shroud to save my ass sometimes, which is more often than I'd like to admit.

I concentrated on chill damage so I went Spite, but it's hard to make a bad build.
And yeah, Rise is stupid good. Even without any minion boosting traits it's good.

Yeah the armor is still stupid cheap, makes me mad that I wasted 6g a peice for zerker armor since a full set of cav gear cost less than 8 gold but I suppose i can always come back to my zerker set one day.

And yeah I occasionally forget to jump into shroud because I am just so sturdy!! 2200 toughness is like I'm made of immortality. I considered going with a dagger because life siphon would be extra hilarious for this if you ask me. but I really wanted a slightly more ranged option just in case.

How does the chill build work? It sounds like it could be super interesting.

We get to divebomb Shatnerer

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/10478/Guild-Wars-2-The-Shatterer-Reborn.html

Along with the existing turrets and mortars, the vigil artillery line now also includes launch pads, where you get to be the ammo! These launch pads are a great way to get to the front line in a hurry, but for those who have Base Gliding unlocked, they will also allow you to deploy your glider midair, equipped with a Bombardier kit. This kit allows you to envision what life would be like as a B-52, raining death from above with volleys of bombs. It’s not all hellfire and shrapnel, though, you’re also able to throw medkits for your allies fighting on the ground to pick on, which will be much appreciated on the far more deadly Lowland Burns battlefield.
The sky has its own hazards, though. As those familiar with the fight may have noticed, the Shatterer is surrounded by quite the electrical storm, and rumor on the street is gliders are conductive. Stealth Gliding is a great way to not get knocked out of the sky!

weeee

Taffer

Most entertaining way to do shatterer is to stick by the mortars and fight the lieutenants, I hope those guys can fly now to grief players mid-air.

Morokh

I don't know if any of you played GW1, but that game was full of inconsistencies after a campaign or expansion came out. No heroes in Prophecies or Factions, but everywhere else sure. Updated UI dialog boxes for everywhere except Prophecies. No Tyrian armor for Assissin, Ritualist, Dervish, or Paragon; no Canthan armor for Dervish and Paragon. PvE titles (AKA Masteries) only worked in certain zones. I could go on.

It's reassuring to know they learned something from their past mistakes (-_-)ゞ

explodet

How does the chill build work? It sounds like it could be super interesting.
Honestly, I just chose every trait I could with "Chill" in it. Deathly Chill ticks do good damage and Chilling Nova adds more damage to crits. It also uses Spite instead of Death Magic so I'm not as tanky.

There are probably much better builds out there than the one I tossed together. What's good though is I can switch my build without having to modify my equipment which is prime for a massively lazy player like myself.

The Shatterer update sounds cool enough, I hope they end up redoing all the dragons. I mean dragons should be tougher than the other world bosses. Claw of Jormag would be next and I'd love to see that fight redone because as of right now it's one of my least favorite; takes a long time and it's fairly boring.

Proven

Is Cavalier the one that gives four stats including healing power? That's what I've been using for PvP build and it quickly made Necro my most played class once the league started.

aka +1

Also, Shatterer update includes gliding content. I feel stupid about yesterday.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Naw Cavalier is Toughness primary then power and ferocity.

I like the build with death magic because you get that trait that gives you additional power based on 14% of your toughness.

So you've basically got 2200 toughness and similar numbers of power while still maintaining over 200% crit damage and because of the traits where you get 50% crit in shroud and 2% crit per stack of vulnerability you've also got 100% crit chance.

It's a really fun build.

Reaper Build

Sweet, thanks for sharing, I'll have to take a look. I'm pretty concerned that patch will ruin Revs so Chrono and Reaper are the two primary toons I'd consider switching to. I already have a Mes leveled up will full WC so I'd probably focus on Necro first to have something to do in game.

Man, way bummed that Shat doesn't have a small chance to drop ASC chests like Teq. Guess Shat will still be ignored by me after I get the chievos. No matter how fun or creative an encounter can be, if you do it a million times it will get repetitive eventually so need that extra carrot on the stick. Teq, you are the only World Boss worth a damn in the long run! Thanks for dying daily for our sins ;p Or is there a chance he drops them? Did they specifically mention in the Teq update that it would? If not, there's still a chance!

Mxrz

Hm. I missed the first month or two of Nightfall. Were they limited before that? When I returned you could take heroes into any area. The armor thing, best I remember, was to support the lore/culture stuff. All those classes had FoW armor, sunspear, and Luxon/kurz skills.

Surprised by the lack of Expansion 2 speculation. I'm hopeful that whole bit about not needing to add new systems allows them to make the next expansion bigger. Not that I think HOT is small gameplay wise. But I do hope the next one gives us something akin GW1 with an entire new region, with its own cities, culture, heroes (npcs) and the like. I honestly don't care if they can't make it as big as GW1 with all the new weapon & armor skins. I just want want that foreign land vibe back. A non-elder dragon final boss would be amazing, too.

Hm. I missed the first month or two of Nightfall. Were they limited before that? When I returned you could take heroes into any area. The armor thing, best I remember, was to support the lore/culture stuff. All those classes had FoW armor, sunspear, and Luxon/kurz skills.

Surprised by the lack of Expansion 2 speculation. I'm hopeful that whole bit about not needing to add new systems allows them to make the next expansion bigger. Not that I think HOT is small gameplay wise. But I do hope the next one gives us something akin GW1 with an entire new region, with its own cities, culture, heroes (npcs) and the like. I honestly don't care if they can't make it as big as GW1 with all the new weapon & armor skins. I just want want that foreign land vibe back. A non-elder dragon final boss would be amazing, too.

Not happening. The entire purpose of each expansion will be to slay the elder dragons. By the time we've killed them all, they'll have been working towards GW3.

Taffer

Everybody sees that the Pact was a silly idea and that these guild things work quite well. People join the guilds, guilds get too powerful, Guild Wars 2: The Guild Wars 2.
Until we see some LS and get an idea where the story's going there's nowhere to aim the speculation yet. I am curious whether players of the first game would rather go to Cantha/Elona or to somewhere new (assuming expansion 2 is like you describe)?

Proven

It does impress me the amount of hope ANet is putting into guilds across all game modes. Even without the rumored alliance system they put all of WvW behind big guilds. There are guilds that form around specific maps and meta events, and even SBI has had a guild form around defending its borderland.

The WvW revamp likely was going to add enough rewards to make upgrading the War Room much easier too.. It just feels like a case of they-should-have-waited-until-it-was-ready. Still, how likely will it become actual Guild Wars remains to be seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom