• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shorter guild missions yes please

Missions are taking 2+ hours if we do all of them these days. Sitting around waiting for slowpokes to run alts down to mission locations for 2 hours isn't really fun as much as I like you all

There are almost always missions that you can do on your own or with small groups (i.e. single bounty, trek, rush), people can do those on their own time now, or we can have a mid-week easy mission night for people who don't want to do them alone, or something.

Wanderer5

There was talk about that in one of my other guilds earlier this week heh. Yeeeah think trying to do all the missions there is at once is getting tiresome now lol. Likely just do the longer/harder missions on the guild mission event, and maybe dive a bit into the other ones if done early.

Hey all, just wanted to give a PSA: We have enabled Guild Missions to be started by any guild member. We originally had them locked because people owuld start them early on mission days, but this way, our members can run easy guild missions when they feel like to earn credit and rewards.

We'll still do missions as normal, but we have been giving serious consideration to making guild missions only be for long missions that need people, leaving the small ones (single target bounty, treks, etc) for people to do over the week. What do you all think?
Ok sounds good but can we take it one step further and boycott guild missions until ANET adds new ones?

Retro

Easy decision, in my opinion. Pre-HoT we had four (and only four) missions every Saturday; post-HoT, we might end up with four rushes alone, plus whatever else is tacked on. Before, we had 30 minutes for a Rush, 15 mins for a Bounty, 20 mins for a puzzle and 15 mins for a challenge; there were nights we finished under an hour due to an easy rush or fast bounty. We never knew what specific missions we were getting, but we had a rough idea on what needed to happen and how long each would take.

Now it's a crap shoot, which makes it hard to organize, hard for everyone to have enough time to participate, hard to stay enthused when you're doing the same thing two or three times over (we had one week where we had to run Ghost Wolves back-to-back; once on easy, once on hard).

I don't know what problem ArenaNet thought they were solving, but like a lot of other things with HoT they've made it objectively worse. Not only that, but while they were taking the time to make it less enjoyable, they didn't bother to add anything new to it at all.

I just don't understand what the thought process was here, but it seems obvious the solution is to just say "Fuck it" and people can run stuff whenever they feel like it. Check Reddit because somebody always posts a list of which missions are soloable. We'll keep doing Saturday Missions, of course, but it's stupid that we're staying up until after Midnight to do everything.

Ok sounds good but can we take it one step further and boycott guild missions until ANET adds new ones?

If I thought that would do any good, I would, but it's pretty clear folks like us are not the game's intended audience anymore. ANet is chasing poopsock unicorns like every other MMO developer out there.

Wanderer5

I would love to see more guild puzzles especially. They are so cool, but there only three.:/ Could use a couple more for now least.

Retro

Ok, what's the story behind this one?

"Hardcore Raiders" have never made up more than 5% of any MMO's population (and that's being generous, I've seen estimates closer to 1%), even when raiding was in vogue during WoW's heyday. Most of the people who were into that content are all 10 years older now, with jobs, families and responsibilities that prevent them from staying up until 3am to kill virtual dragons, and the people who are in that age group now play MOBAs and Minecraft instead.

Anyone building content for the "hardcore raider" is chasing a group that was never more than a niche and barely exists now, but has a loud voice in the community (thanks largely to their welded-on hot pink Nostalgia goggles).

Thus, "Poopsock unicorn" a mythical creature that defecates in it's own footware rather than stop playing.

I would love to see more guild puzzles especially. They are so cool, but there only three.:/ Could use a couple more for now least.

There should have been new Missions and Fractals added on a regular basis, like every 3 months or so. Instead of releasing, getting new stuff once, and then never ever again.

Wanderer5

There should have been new Missions and Fractals added on a regular basis, like every 3 months or so. Instead of releasing, getting new stuff once, and then never ever again.

Well to be fair they did add WvW and PvP missions, so that something!:p

But sheesh it been like more than 2 years since new fractals were added hasn't it. I like the new setup for fractals, especially since it can be kind of a short burst thing that won't take hours (maybe the later fractals through lol) but they should really get some new ones in already, especially when dungeons have gone down the drain. Hope it be sooner than later for those new fractals that they confirmed.

Ashodin

I thought to myself while driving Amanda to work today about ANet and its chasing of the hardcore population. I thought, Once they go down that slippery slope of trying to please that crowd, NOTHING they do will please them.

And you're seeing the results of it right now: players whining about how PVP leagues aren't great at all, how the raiding is getting stale, how there's no content.

What really sucks is that they focused too much on numbers and playtime rather than fun, which is what I thought they were going for in the beginning with GW2. And it's not even some nostalgia trip of oh, the launch months were so sublime (even though they were), because there are periods of time throughout the entire life of the game where I thought "yes, this is what I want from the game". When new guild missions were added, I thought this. When fractals were being added (when I thought were being worked on alongside dungeon revamps) I thought this.

Looking back at it, collections are just a way to lengthen the gameplay of the game for hardcore players. They have endless carrots to chase (even so now, with Legendary collections) to give them boxes to tick off.

All the while I'm sitting here wanting to tick boxes off that are personal and imaginary; I want to find an area not traveled by too many players; I want to battle epic enemies that give chances of rare loot either by my lonesome or with a couple of other friends. I want to feel like there's meaning in crafting outside of making money and just endlessly gathering materials. I hate that the trading post is pretty much the only way they seem to want people to make money in the game. I hate that the initial drama of raiding that sparked in the community turned me off the game.

There's much they need to fix for me personally, and I'm not going to see it until Living Story Season 3. However, I am looking forward to January's patch next week, and the new Shatterer fight. Being such a long time user of the game, I will definitely log in to tear down that new fight.

xeris

When I more or less stopped playing regularly two years ago now I told people then that the game was moving away from the more open experience I wanted and toward WoW lite. With every change I said what they're doing makes sense and I see why they're doing it, but it's not what I want. While I honestly expected them to reach this point a bit earlier, I can't say I'm surprised. From the April 15th, 2014 patch on it's been clear that what they want from the game is a more traditional WoW style MMO. If I want that type of game there's ones that do it better.

The biggest problem is that while they've move their systems to a more traditional model, they don't have the content for it. Traditional MUD-based MMOs have more dungeons, raids, etc for that 1 percent to grind out from the beginning while having more stuff to do at lower levels for everyone else. If anything, they've actually decreased their viable content over time with their policy toward dungeons.

With the leveling system they set up in that April 15th patch there was no reason to just run around with alts and see what you could get into. They took away some of the more unique quests and gimped what you could do. The biggest lost for me at low levels was probably swimming. I use to love the stuff in that lake in the Asura starting area.

In any case, alt-aholic me would have a more or less fully formed character from level 1 and definitely by 10. Now there's no reason to explore or run around. May as well use my leveling books and only log on to progress the daily rewards timer. Add to that a daily system that actively punishes alts by giving you dailies based on your highest level character and not the one you might want to play (like my newest level 20 project having dailies in Orr). Of course that same patch added boss timers. Can't be on for the scheduled boss time? May as well forget doing that daily. Run dungeons for xp like I use to? Not a viable option anymore.

I still log in since, hell, it's free. May as well get the books to level up my characters just to say I did and maybe do the personal story up to about level 20 for xp beyond that. There's some seasonal stuff I like and yeah if Living Story 3 is free (I'm half expecting it to cost gems) I'll probably play that since going by the past you can finish an episode in a couple of hours.

I should say I did actually like HoT for what I wanted from it. All I expected was a cap to the story so far that could more or less be done like a single player rpg. I enjoyed the ride even if the end was bugged so I had to do it 5 times. I did the guild event to open the first hall and that was interesting and so was the guild day to clear the first new zone. So I've done that and really don't see the need to do anything else with it. I got my money's worth and don't have any complaints. It just doesn't have any long-term goal for me to care about. I don't have the time or inclination to grind to raid. Did that crap in EQ and that was enough. I never cared about legendaries and none of my toons had 100 percent world completion even before HoT. Like I said, not a complaint and I knew all that going in.

I am actually very interested in the raid and have had a lot of fun running it with GAF. I'm just too busy with life and work to be able to play it regularly. I have never done raids before so it isn't stale content for me.

I am able to play for longer period of time after this weeks Saturday missions so if GAF is available to do the raid please save a spot for me if you can.

One think I've had a hard time trying to do, is doing the HoT story on an alt. I have no drive to replay it since I was pretty disappointed in its scope. The only thing that kinda pushes me through is the achievements, some of them are akin to optional objectives of GW1 which I enjoy.

The maps are actually fun to explore on an alt because I am not worrying about participating in the meta since I've already done the metas a few time on my main.

I'm not as down on HoT but I hope they do not just continue carbon copying it for next expansion. The sales numbers have got to tell them that this didn't work out as they hoped.

Proven

ANet problems from my point of view seems to be lack of content building. GW1 was primarily about content. GW2 has been primarily about systems. Considering how many years it took to pivot the company in order to build the systems for GW2 and then iterate on those systems while adding new ones... most gaming companies don't roll out new systems as often as ANet does now. Even with that, they're slow on the WvW system update, but that could be called an aberration as it sounds like they're essentially rebuilding WvW from near scratch, or something.

I still believe in ANet, but primarily because it feels like they mostly delivered on their PvP promise. But even then that promise essentially came from a ton of iteration on systems, from changing MMR and ranked queues, to adding reward tracks, to finally getting out a new mode with its own distinct meta rather than the conquest variations, and then finally a League system along with a solid foundation for scheduled patches and showcases for how good or bad a patch is going, while still keeping some amount of space for hot fixing. But maybe my standards are too low for video game entertainment.

For PvE it felt like they wanted to be more rewarded. They made three maps with push and pull meta events, but people only went to the one that had the most rewards and hated how the others got in the way of reaching that map, so they focused on fewer maps. They added some events throughout the rest of the open world, but just adding a bunch more wasn't the best answer when they had players, even now 3 years later, still discovering hidden events that were there from launch or at least 2012. A number of players enjoyed their time getting through the game but it was a fact that many people were confused and turned off. GW2 wasn't supposed to be like GW1, with only a small dedicated user base that "gets it." They wanted everybody. That's the whole reason why they dropped everything and bet so many years into building a GW2. So they built...

2016 needs to see the company pivot from systems back to content. HoT maps give open world Tyria continued purpose that they can leverage for the next Living World and any other festivities and events they want to add (I think we got a bunch more events over the years thanks to Living World updates more than anything else, and it will probably be their path for adding more). However, that's still a ways off. If the open world and everything associated is their "low level" content, their mid level content is now Fractals and their high level content is now Raids, which they can add more of along with Masteries and anything else they can think of. Unfortunately, new Fractals are still a ways off and at best we're going to get one Raid every one or two years. Then there's WvW, which they want to support with tournaments, new reward structures, new ways for guilds to interact with each other, a tightening up of the community to provide more engagement more often. Sadly... you get what I'm saying.

I believe in ANet. They put out Living World updates like clockwork. How many releases did they have through Scarlet's rise and fall? If anything, their tardiness on revamping WvW seems to have constrained them. The fact that they don't stick to standalone content teams but instead have been very cross company with their programmers and such may be an issue as well. But they'll pivot back. The worst case scenario is that the WvW revamp doesn't make it until the end of the year, and it slows down everything. The best case scenario can't even happen until the revamp happens, which would be a festival, a Fractal, a PvP league, and a WvW league every season, and then either a Raid or Living Story story update each season (if only because it appears their raids are smaller but still potent story additions). Then again, they have a raid team now too, so hopefully they put together a dedicated Living Story team and keep them together too.

Likely, something will fall a bit to the wayside, but it still needs to be said that they have little use for systems. PvE will go back to getting more support. If Fractal content is put out often enough then it's possible for it to be the worthy sequel to dungeons. If, If, If...

But they finally got PvP right. They already had PvE right before. WvW will work as long as they increase engagement times, and concentrating the game mode will get that done. I still have faith.

And besides, Overwatch comes out soon too. If it ends up anything like when I was in the Heroes of the Storm alpha, I'll have a lot of fun playing both games at once. Guild Wars 2 will always be my home, and I'll have a place to stay when the community gets on my nerves at times, or if a seasonal update isn't enough to my liking.

So after complaining about HOT and quitting. I decided I am going to try again but instead pretend HOT content doesn't exist except my reaper.

Gonna just start casually collecting skins.

We beat Gorseval pretty easily tonight.

HoT is fun and good again.

I got a cute dog mini too.

LjX6NBB.jpg

I quit GW2 every week lol, only play because of friends and this weekend they all busy can't play, so i probably won't be playing that much, Monday through Thursday i have a love hate relation with Gw2, but with friends it ain't so bad..right now all i am doing is logging for daily streak and getting home instance...

Mxrz

Amalgamated gemstones have made three years of obsessive mining pay off in a big way. Woo.

I was disappointed they did the standard Dog Show style "Raid." Here is the boss. Here are the mechanics. Do things the way we intended, receive a treat. Good boy, come again next week. Meh.

There's so much more they could have done. Just plopping the Vale Guardian down at the end of Obsidian Sanctum could have been amazing. Leave the difficulty, the organization needed and all that. Just give the encounter the added thrill of knowing an enemy team could bust in at any time. Oh well.

nan0

Hey all, just wanted to give a PSA: We have enabled Guild Missions to be started by any guild member. We originally had them locked because people would start them early on mission days, but this way, our members can run easy guild missions when they feel like to earn credit and rewards.

We'll still do missions as normal, but we have been giving serious consideration to making guild missions only be for long missions that need people, leaving the small ones (single target bounty, treks, etc) for people to do over the week. What do you all think?

This would be so cool for all us EU people who can't attend the regular missions.

Hedge

After I gather enough gold for the last 150 amalgamated gemstones, I think I'm done with the game until the new LS3. I'm really, really anxious to see the first few updates of HoT, because I'm actually really nervous about which direction they're going in. Just.. please no more timers, Anet.

nan0

Quenk

I wonder why Longbow/Staff isn't the meta for Druid. I main one myself and am pretty positive to do the same damage at mid-range as Axe/Sword/WH plus the added benefit of a good AoE and a push skill. I can see Call of the Wild with WH is good, but the rest of the Axe/Sword skills are pretty meh.

Longbow damage isn't great unless you're at range. Your glyphs are more useful if you're near other people. A knockback is only useful on VG. Call of the Wild is pretty amazing. I'm not sure if there's a true meta druid for raiding at the moment. I've seen raid groups run s/a + staff, a/x + x/t condi druid, a/wh + staff.

Hedge

I still can't get the last mask I need for the aurilium node. Do you get auric silver (material) or aurilium (the AB currency) from it?

Ashodin

I don't understand how this affects anyone who isn't in DnT and isn't going for a record

Sorry it took so long to respond to this.

I wanted to collect my thoughts instead of replying right away.

You might have had a different time in other games, but I still have days where I remember the troubles I had trying to play my specific setup of my Paladin in WoW. In that game, I wanted to play a certain style, a certain way, but the top tier content (raiding) would not allow me to be that way. I always pushed for it; even when it wasn't viable. All of the guilds I had been in (including the one where I had a lot of IRL friends) really discouraged me from playing that way, saying "it's not optimal" "it's not viable" and so forth. This lead me to play the game in the way I didn't want to, but I wanted to still raid, so it had to be done.

So when GW2 started to get into that, especially with DnT (a notable hardcore MMO guild in other games) fine-tuning the raid for ArenaNet in the beginning, I thought the same things were going to emerge here. I would be forced into playing something I didn't like, to change up the way I had enjoyed playing or worse, entirely be left out because I didn't "prepare for the raid" enough by having a specific stat set of gear, or what-have-you.

That type of drama, even though it didn't affect me personally, affected me by bringing back those thoughts and feelings from long ago. I had an aversion to the idea of even logging into the game if it was going to devolve into pigeonholing-nightmare-schedule-pocalypse.

I absolutely hate discussions of "meta" this and "meta" that. Nothing makes me more turned off than trying to figure out the max numbers of a specific build or what extra % I can get out of this ability. All of that stuff drives me nuts, and raiding naturally drives conversation toward that.

spiritfox

Spoilers for Dragon's Stand, but here's a production video for the Mouth of Mordremoth battle which is pretty cool.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...im.vandenbogart/videos/1045512752153595/&_rdr

It also seems to include animations for a 2nd phase of the battle, which was cut from the final game. We were supposed to actually follow it up the tree and fight him again there. I think the entire event is long enough, so I can see why they cut it, but I wonder how it would have went. It also answers why the ending is rather abrupt.

I still haven't bought HoT, but I'm thinking about it but I'm reading up on the current WvW scene and... well I'm not reading good stuff. Can anyone give a confirmation on whether WvW sucks or is it hyperbole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom