• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pc keeps locking up and I keep needing to restart so you guys go ahead without me in GM and raid. Need to figure it what's going on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is the newbie Raid still happening? Are there enough people? I just got home from dinner and can log in if it's still going down.
I believe we have enough people, doing the lotto and then it'll be time for a roll call!

edit: like naobody showed up aw :(

Sorry I couldn't get the mic to work with mumble but it was fun trying the Raid out with you guys and for just 8 people most of which had no idea what to expect, not bad! We shall try again, hopefully with 10 gaffers next time :)

Clearos

I should be more available for newbie raids in the near future. Wife goes back to work next week so she won't be up until 11pm EST every night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll join in on the next Raid. I've never done one in any game.
Tentatively looking to give it another shot after next missions if you're available. ~10:15/10:30PM EST. This is very casual stuff of course

edit: adriaaa I ask that you not troll about the quality of the guild itself. It's a violation of our frankly simplistic policies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I feel like I could at least lead/coordinate newbies for VG now which I definitely couldn't before. Thanks again a bunch to Humenkind for schooling us :)

Lol damn, next Saturday is gonna be chock full of online gaming for me. Got a destiny Newbie Raid in the afternoon, then missions then this raid. I should prolly buy some gin :>

Is there some trick to get your glider to open in
Hearts and Mind?
Its like every single time it gives me the finger.

edit: NVM I figured it out.

Zeroth

Hearts and Mind?

It's buggy, seems like your best bet is trying to do in top of the updrafts that appear. When I did it, I would jump then hold space, that may do the trick

I made a thing.

M2nnGXm.jpg

Just in time for all those sweet rifle buffs, am I right?

Hearts and Mind?

edit: NVM I figured it out.

AFAIK for some of them you have to jump onto the updraft and deploy your glider but for some others you have to simply walk onto something on the ground for it to trigger it (i.e. you can't jump over it :|).

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten the MMO bug for some reason so I decided to dust off my copy of GW2 and give it a shot again. I have a level 14 Elementalist but I remember not being a huge fan of its play style. Thinking of giving a Ranger or a Thief a shot, especially since I played Ranger in GW1 and really enjoyed it.

Any recommendations on which of the two classes to play? I really liked the trapping and kiting play style in GW1; is it the same here, or does the class play differently? And is it viable to play the game entirely with the action camera a la Wildstar?

I've gotten the MMO bug for some reason so I decided to dust off my copy of GW2 and give it a shot again. I have a level 14 Elementalist but I remember not being a huge fan of its play style. Thinking of giving a Ranger or a Thief a shot, especially since I played Ranger in GW1 and really enjoyed it.

Any recommendations on which of the two classes to play? I really liked the trapping and kiting play style in GW1; is it the same here, or does the class play differently? And is it viable to play the game entirely with the action camera a la Wildstar?

I mained thief for a while but I don't know a whole lot about ranger. They both have traps and are pretty good at kiting when necessary, but thief shines in melee combat and their traps aren't great. Ranger has better ranged options (specifically longbow) and better traps so if that's what you're into you might have a better time on ranger.

There are a few ranger mains in here that might be able to better answer how ranger plays :p

The thief play style is about avoiding getting hit (blinding your enemy, evading, being in stealth, etc) and doing a lot of damage really fast. They're really mobile and do a lot of damage but have a low health pool. Thieves are generally in a bad place right now in PvE and PvP but they're getting some pretty decent buffs in a patch that's coming tomorrow sometime. If you're only starting out and levelling for the first time you'll barely know the difference though, so just focus on what feels fun for now =)

Proven

You can do traps/kiting with both classes, but Ranger may have an edge since you played that in GW1. It's similar, and you now have a pet that can grab aggro and help you kite as well. Yes, it is completely viable to play with the action camera, especially on Ranger.

Hedge

Where is the best source for builds? I accidentally stumbled across the flamethrower on my engineer, and I'm wondering if it's a viable weapon.
If not then I think I'll just delete him after maxing out Scrapper for the helmet.

Quenk

Where is the best source for builds? I accidentally stumbled across the flamethrower on my engineer, and I'm wondering if it's a viable weapon.
If not then I think I'll just delete him after maxing out Scrapper for the helmet.

For what purpose? metabattle.com is the main repository for builds these days. Most people don't really need to worry about following a meta build and can just play what they like.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I mained thief for a while but I don't know a whole lot about ranger. They both have traps and are pretty good at kiting when necessary, but thief shines in melee combat and their traps aren't great. Ranger has better ranged options (specifically longbow) and better traps so if that's what you're into you might have a better time on ranger.

There are a few ranger mains in here that might be able to better answer how ranger plays :p

The thief play style is about avoiding getting hit (blinding your enemy, evading, being in stealth, etc) and doing a lot of damage really fast. They're really mobile and do a lot of damage but have a low health pool. Thieves are generally in a bad place right now in PvE and PvP but they're getting some pretty decent buffs in a patch that's coming tomorrow sometime. If you're only starting out and levelling for the first time you'll barely know the difference though, so just focus on what feels fun for now =)

You can do traps/kiting with both classes, but Ranger may have an edge since you played that in GW1. It's similar, and you now have a pet that can grab aggro and help you kite as well. Yes, it is completely viable to play with the action camera, especially on Ranger.

Cool, thanks for the tips. Think I'll try Ranger then. I like the idea of having a pet to pull aggro and being able to avoid damage at range.

Sioul

Cool, thanks for the tips. Think I'll try Ranger then. I like the idea of having a pet to pull aggro and being able to avoid damage at range.

Ranger is fun to play, but I don't like the pet AI. Also, I liked more the warrior as a bow user. Think of ranger as the Barrage build and bow warriors as the Combustion Arrow ranger build

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You probably shouldn't worry too much about Dragonhunters now. It's the elite specialization for Guardians so you won't get to use it until you're level 80 and have done some stuff in Heart of Thorns.

Oh got it. Weirdly it looks like Rangers' elite specialization is a healing kit? I guess that'll be interesting to check out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I made a thing.

Just in time for all those sweet rifle buffs, am I right?
Grats, definitely might be my favorite legendary in appearance.
Oh got it. Weirdly it looks like Rangers' elite specialization is a healing kit? I guess that'll be interesting to check out.
Indeed, While Rangers overall are extremely versatile, Druid (the elite spec) is the most direct out and out "healer" in the game. They are often in demand for the toughest content, as you might imagine

Gratz, i thought about making it, but i don't use rifle, I use bow on my Warrior for condi damage..

Thanks! They keep fiddling around with rifle, so maybe soon it will be a good ranged Power option.

Okay, I'll admit. That's pretty sweet.

^_^

Grats, definitely might be my favorite legendary in appearance.

The Predator and The Flameseeker Prophecies have always been my favorite legendary weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom