• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quenk

Ah makes much more sense to use Air 3 and Earth 4 on the seekers. I think I was trying to use Air 3 to break VG which was few and far between as it recharged. Only got VG's health down half way in Phase 1. It was Saturday night. You were there weren't you? I don't think we had an ideal team but was good experience for me nonetheless.

Earth 5 also works on them (immobilizing them when they're far away). Also, Water 4 to chill them and slow them down.

Pro

I was there, I was the condi warrior (Mille Tendresse). We only saw the VG break once - only happens phase 3 and onwards (after the first split).

It is a bit rough to stay alive as an ele, but zerker gear is probably what you want. You'll find more effective defense in your traits or skills/utilities. An ele with slightly more toughness is still going to be made of paper. The tempest spec minor traits have aura and protection application on overloading, and you can take a trait to heal on aura application, so if you are using those, it'll pad your health a little bit and you might have an easier time.

EDIT: Some people find that celestial ele is pretty OK in pve, if you're having trouble surviving you could check it out. It is a bitch to craft though.

Earth 5 also works on them (immobilizing them when they're far away). Also, Water 4 to chill them and slow them down.

It is a little rough to stay alive, but it's doable. I was getting the hang of it, and I don't think that was my biggest issue. I think I was concentrating a little too much on the boss (which is what was getting me killed). It sounds from you guys that I would do better to focus on the scatterers coming after the green circles more.

So for me being zerker ele, use staff, be a part of the lightning team, slow and knock back scatterers, try to stay alive. Having attunement swaps mapped to mouse is a godsend. And yeah I use tempest overload all the time. Love it. Overload water for healing and Earth for Toughness. Also does VG target the lightning team? Aren't bosses supposed to target the highest Defense? Many times he was bearing down on us and on the circle right away.

When Kos would go down, the boss would go after the person with the second highest toughness, which happened to be a player in the lightning team.

Quenk

It is a little rough to stay alive, but it's doable. I was getting the hang of it, and I don't think that was my biggest issue. I think I was concentrating a little too much on the boss (which is what was getting me killed). It sounds from you guys that I would do better to focus on the scatterers coming after the green circles more.

So for me being zerker ele, use staff, be a part of the lightning team, slow and knock back scatterers, try to stay alive. Having attunement swaps mapped to mouse is a godsend. And yeah I use tempest overload all the time. Love it. Overload water for healing and Earth for Toughness. Also does VG target the lightning team? Aren't bosses supposed to target the highest Defense? Many times he was bearing down on us and on the circle right away.

Yeah. Zerker Ele is pretty squishy so being part of the lightning team hurts. I personally prefer having other professions cover green circles but it depends on if other people have range or not. Unfortunately for staff ele, attunement swapping is a dps loss so I only do it if I have to.

And yes, VG is supposed to target the person with the highest toughness. Some professions have traits or skills that modify toughness so maybe one of those got triggered and so he switched aggro?

Edit: nvm. What Ike said.

When Kos would go down, the boss would go after the person with the second highest toughness, which happened to be a player in the lightning team.

The second person was me, lol.

I finally got around to switching my really outdated Soldier's stats to Zerker; so I'm ready to do it again.

Proven

You just need to set a goal.

Only need 480 auric dust in order to make Auric weapons, gotta do Octovine 100 times anyway for that title. Or you could do shatterer 50 times in order to get 500 last blows or whatever else needed to get another backpiece you probably need. Only need 450 crystalline ore if you want the set of specialization weapons. Only 250 more if you want a legendary. 1000 more if you want all the minis from the Guild mini vendor. Only 240 more per guild armor set if you want one or three of those.

If for some reason you wanna be like vyrance with a mini gerent, thats 8500 ley line crystals. Bladed armor boxes are only 500 airship parts per piece. I hope you dont want any of the 1000-cost minis or tonics on top of that!

1900 of each of airship parts, Aurilium, and leyline if you want plated weapons. 1500 each if you want the order backpieces. 250 of each currency per plated weapon if you want machined weapons. Oh and a dragon stand completion per.

I think we need a billion kegs and stuff for the guild hall. You could do fractals til your eyes bleed to get gaudy golden shit on mostly rng. Ley armor is entirely rng btw.

And if none of that is interesting you could dump all your net worth to level scribing.

Sheesh..damnit Heart of Thorns

I'm not being fair. Some weapons you can get for free in the story. It just means you gotta play through HoT instances multiple times.
Am I the only one that isn't turned off by this post? If I just want a reason to play the game, each of these give me small, low key reasons.

Maybe I just don't dress up enough...

spiritfox

To be fair, if i just wanted to zone out and farm stuff these goals are good enough. But it's not particularly interesting, just a time waster. You don't actually have pay attention to anything unless you're leading the zerg.

leng jai

If you're playing dps ele you probably want to take a staff and be on the lightning team since you can do great dps from range. If necessary you can throw an air 3 at the seekers to get them away from you or earth 4 to stop them from creeping towards you in the first place. Controlling seekers and not letting them roll around wherever they want is really important, they will kill you and the rest of your team if you let them sit on you for more than a tick or two.

I'm not sure how much of the fight you've seen, but as the fight progresses it gets more complicated and positioning becomes really important. Sections of the arena will start lighting up and doing significant damage to anyone standing on it, and you have to keep him moving out of the lit up sections so he doesn't spawn green in them. CCing him also becomes important, he will stand still and channel a thing and you have to break it to make him stop it. It's important to do this so you can keep moving. I don't really play ele much for VG but I imagine air 3 would be useful for that.

This all sounds horrendously boring, I don't want to grind, I want to be told a story. Anet pls.

Who plays GW2 for the story mate?

So if you have a guild team playing ranked PvP and you get rank 25 or above for the season you get Gold Guild Challenger Rewards which includes... 20 eggplants

20 eggplants

You can get 25 for 154 karma. And they're giving out 20 to the top 25 guild teams for the whole season.

ROFL

I get that they contribute towards unlocking Guild Arena decorations so it's not completely nonsensical, but TWENTY? They're getting pretty fucking stingy over there.

Quenk

is there a butter dump? i have butter for days

hhhehehe butter dump

Butter is used in pretty much every meta food for power based professions: truffle steak, sweet and spicy butternut squash soup, etc. You might be able to make some food and turn a profit but I don't think there's a huge dump for it.

Thorgal

gimme them butta

corpse-party-pooper-e.jpg

Morokh

Am I the only one that isn't turned off by this post? If I just want a reason to play the game, each of these give me small, low key reasons.

Maybe I just don't dress up enough...

I'm not really either, it's like people who were focused on the amount of Mastery Xp at launch it's really not something that should be tackled in one big chunk, but rather something to earn slowly over time.
That's what I'm doing cause I don't have much choice and I'm even surprised to see how fast it actually goes.

I mean,100 octovines for instance, seems like nothing compared to the number of times I've done Tequatl, and for far less to show-off than a full set of weapons that also unlocks a backpack once you have them all.

Variety is an issue I'll gladly agree on that.

Gliffyr

Could I please get an invite to the guild? I played a few years ago but sort of just stopped. Been active for about a month now and I'm enjoying things a lot more.

My username is gliffyr.5867. I'm looking forward to seeing an active chat as I mindlessly work towards map completion!

leng jai

Could I please get an invite to the guild? I played a few years ago but sort of just stopped. Been active for about a month now and I'm enjoying things a lot more.

My username is gliffyr.5867. I'm looking forward to seeing an active chat as I mindlessly work towards map completion!

Hi.

Wanderer5

I haven't really gotten any new gliders beside the Deluxe Edition one and getting one for the white wings, but think that going to change with the Phoenix Kite one. Man that thing is beautiful.

DVNHfDD.jpg

I finished unlocking Herald and man, this spec is crazy. The support it brings is insane, and personal damage is damn good too. And apparently this is nerfed from before?

Rev got a new look..
gw119m2y51.jpg

Helm:Mistward Headwrap
Shoulder:Leystone
Chest:Leystone
Hands:Leystone
Leggings:Flame Legion
Boots:Leystone

Don't like the look of Leystone leggings, only missing the helm to complete the heavy set..

We used to lead new folk through fractals and dungeons all the time, and I feel like that doesn't happen so much (or at all) anymore. But it also feels like hardly anyone is online most nights either. :<

If anyone is ever looking to try out new stuff like that, always feel free to ask for help.

We used to lead new folk through fractals and dungeons all the time, and I feel like that doesn't happen so much (or at all) anymore. But it also feels like hardly anyone is online most nights either. :<

If anyone is ever looking to try out new stuff like that, always feel free to ask for help.

Dead Game..

The guild has been pretty inactive as of late, even during guild missions. The winter patch was underwhelming even though it added some nice stuff. The dungeon gutting as well really left a vacuum of motivation. They should have added some form of 5 man content, whether it be new fractals or dungeon paths.

Retro

With the dungeon rewards being downgraded so harshly it's probably more effective to just run the reward tracks in PVP and fractals basically being "Three swamps and you're done", it seems like as good a time as any to run them just for fun. The downside, of course, is that you get a bitter reminder of squandered potential... which brings me to my next point.

The guild has been pretty inactive as of late, even during guild missions. The winter patch was underwhelming even though it added some nice stuff. The dungeon gutting as well really left a vacuum of motivation. They should have added some form of 5 man content, whether it be new fractals or dungeon paths.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point, but 10-player Raids should not exist. Guild Wars 2 had three very effective tiers of PVE content;

• Big, open world events (+100 players). World bosses are just the start, I mean content like Marionette, Tower of Nightmares, Queen's Gauntlet 2.0 (not the first version when it was farmville, the one that required coordination), The Battle for LA. Stuff where there's no hard cap on who can and cannot participate, but with built-in mechanics to break up zergs and encourage coordination (it seemed like all of their big Living World events were experiments for that anyway). I'm not saying those all need to come back, but that's the direction they should have continued going. Those were "Guild Wars 2's version of raids", and they felt a whole hell of lot more epic than what they've shoehorned in now.
  • Dungeons / Fractals (5 players) Easily formed, readily available across all levels, room for lots of expansion (especially fractals, the fact that we haven't gotten a new, non-recycled Fractal since they were released is criminal.)
  • Living World instances / Open world PVE (Solo / small group / whoever you run into). Basic leveling / farming materials / whatever.
"Challenging Group Content" should have been 5-player content, not 10, and they should have called it anything other than "raids" to avoid the baggage that terminology has. "Hardmode Dungeon", "Heroic Dungeon", whatever; take the platform you already have and build on it instead of creating another shiny, new one. People who want hard content get it (without the logistical headaches), dungeons are still considered viable content, everyone wins. If you've been enjoying raids the last three months, guess what; you'd still have challenging content to play, but on your time and without baggage.

And the way they've handled fractals with regard to instabilities is a mess. Like usual, they completely ignored an existing feature that would have worked perfectly in favor of something new and ineffective. Take the Gambits from the Queen's Gauntlet and let players increase their rewards by piling on risky victory conditions. Because they ones they've got now just make it unpleasant.

I think 10 player stuff is fine, and 'Raid' is just a name. There's a million and one misnomers in video games, one generic meaningless term won't hurt too much. However, while I think the content is good, the headache of finding players is, in the words of Adriaaa, atrocious. Anet is still arrogant about the LFG tool after years, and it desperately needs an overhaul, not just for raids. The fact that we have to worry about taxiing players to an event map rather than playing the damn game is awful. I honestly think that a revamp of that tool would fix so many problems with the game.

I also agree that the Dungeon nerf and Fractal revamp have killed a lot of diversity in content, and Raids cannot replace that. I just don't think that Raids themselves are a problem.

Retro

I think Raids are a fine addition, but their inability to support current game modes (Missions, Dungeons, even the damn living story) and poorly support others (Fractals of the Swamp) is really disheartening.

Development time / energy / resources wasted on raids could be spent on content more people could enjoy, with fewer logistical headaches and community backlash. If you're upset about the lack of dungeons / fractals, raids are a big reason why.

Development time / energy / resources wasted on raids could be spent on content more people could enjoy, with fewer logistical headaches and community backlash. If you're upset about the lack of dungeons / fractals, raids are a big reason why.

A company as big as Anet hires and loses people all the time. The people they hired to work on raids were never going to work on dungeons or fractals otherwise. Didn't the old dungeon team leave long before Heart of Thorns was even started? My knowledge on this is limited, but I'm pretty sure Anet would just hire dungeon people if they wanted to make dungeons and felt they would be worth the investment, raid or no raid. I would argue that 5 man content is a worthwhile investment, but raiding isn't actively preventing them from making them.

Maybe what I'm thinking would apply more to a subscription MMO than to a cash shop one.

I don't know much about the dungeon nerfs, since I hadn't played them months leading up to and after the expansion; however, I thought Anet would add a mastery track specifically for dungeons like they did with fractals, but I guess not.

I would settle on if they added a dungeon master's guidebook like they did with GW1. You would run all of the dungeons' paths in the game and turn it in for a big reward. This would incentivize running paths that no one ran anyways, while getting me to return playing dungeons if something like this happened. You could make it an evening Guild Event or something.

I like the Dynamic Event map rewards. I spent an hour or so in Frostgorge Sound and was rewarded with Giant Eyes, Charged Lodestones, and one reward gave me ten Powerful Bloods. The addition of gliding in central Tyria has dusted off some characters that were parked on nodes and are now doing map completions. I haven't sought out doing these old DEs like this since a year after launch, lol.

nataku

If they were so desperate for challenging group content and wanted to toss Dungeons they should have just re-worked them to be that challenging group (5 man) content, IMO. Now they're just wasted space that new players end up coming across... only to find out no one does them anymore because the developers abandoned them. It's a bad look for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom