• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
cat butt

OTLfqJC.jpg

edit: wtf imgur obliterated my image quality

Emitan

I think the ideal solution is a training dummy in PvE you can use that gives you your DPS in game. That way you can tell if you're doing good damage, but you cant access it during group content so it doesn't become a way to harass others.

Retro

Welcome to the beginning of the end: http://gw2dps.com/

At least it won't show your party's DPS unless everyone joins the DPS server. But the LFR "must be running DPS" isn't far behind.

Yeah, if they don't adjust the EULA and TOS to nip this sort of stuff in the bud now, it's not going to be long before you have stuff like Gearscore. Every day I'm finding more and more reasons not to log in.

The Reddit thread would be a hoot if it wasn't so pathetic;

bCSIdPa.jpg

The mental disconnect some people have is just amazing.

Proven

I've been parlayed primarily by school and a new card game. Overwatch beta coming out and being something easy to have in the background (and they fixed the turret characters!) not helping either.

Thanks to everyone who came to the raid tonight. We got super close to killing Vale Guardian!

We had several new or less experienced players and we made a lot of progress, so hopefully everyone will be able to take what they learned and apply it on our next attempt.

Emitan

Thanks to everyone who came to the raid tonight. We got super close to killing Vale Guardian!

We had several new or less experienced players and we made a lot of progress, so hopefully everyone will be able to take what they learned and apply it on our next attempt.

We did well!

Hedge

Yeah, DPS meters will potentially turn this really grim. But let's see how it will unfold.

On another note, I've given up AB for getting my auric dust. Is DS noxious pods a viable alternative? Is it random which maps material I get in those?

spiritfox

Can someone help me with this stupid Vinetooth. Stupid Auric Basin is deader than the guild.

And I managed to find an active AB. Yay.

Hedge

My client still effing crashes after switching to that 64 client. An hour-long instance and riiiight before I get my rewards it crashes.

Please Anet make check-points in the stories going forward. Also for trying to get achievements without having to restart the entire effing thing.

Sorry to single you guys out but all the guildies complaining about the DPS meter, never really play with random people from community. Are you worried our guild members will start using it and not allowing other guildies to run the raid with them?

Sorry to single you guys out but all the guildies complaining about the DPS meter, never really play with random people from community. Are you worried our guild members will start using it and not allowing other guildies to run the raid with them?

You don't have to actively play with a community, to be influenced and affected by the culture within that community. Nor does not actively partying up with randoms, preclude discussion on the effects of such a tool on the community at large. An MMO *is* it's culture, so anyone playing the game, even if they have map chat off and never party up, is still a part of the equation and affected by it.

I don't worry that the GAF guild will become exclusionary - half of the people in GAF that care about DPS have already been using DPS tools for years. There have been memory-reading and screen-reading DPS meters almost since launch.

But this new one, hitting reddit with '100% legal' stamped all over it, is the first time the community at large will be faced with such tools. And for people who've never seen the effects of such things on an MMO, it's going to be a wild ride for them I guess.

It's almost a shame GW2 won't have GearScore. I would have liked to have seen how that plays out, just as an experiment. Though I guess the AP checks kind of doubled as it in a passive way, and we all know how that panned out.

Disclosure: In WoW, I ran with DBM, Recount, Grid, and about 30+ other mods because it was *required* of me by the raid guild I was in. (Though to be fair, half of them I wanted to run because I needed them to make WoW a palatable experience, I'm looking at you antiquated bag system). My screen was 80% buttons, I kid you not. And if my recount scores started dropping below the percentile the guild thought was the required meta for raid resto healers, well. You get the idea. I don't even say this in a negative way - I enjoyed my time with the guild, they were the *only* raid guild on my server that wasn't too elitist to take a relative newbie, so they weren't even anywhere NEAR as strict as the top-tier ones. And if you wanted to raid back then, you HAD to be in a raid guild. There was no LFR, and you couldn't just group with randos and do it, you'd be there for 12 hours. But would I do it again? Not a chance in heck. It's kind of like, once you've done this shit, you're inoculated against it. You might look back on it fondly, but it's not something you could subject yourself to again. That's why GW2 was three years of amazing for me - it was everything WoW and other mmos that are shades of WoW, is not. So I was hoping that GW2 would be different in matters of DPS meters, Raids, dungeons, etc.

So yah.

Raids: the actual fights are fun, I like the mechanics and the modular way you can approach the content. Not requiring specific classes is also good and in line with anet's philosophy even if specific roles do need to get filled.

But DPS meters, gearscore, grindy material dumps?
468px-I_Never_asked_for_this.jpg

Since my ISP is still having major issues with the infrastructure in my area, I've been playing this game with my phone acting like a 4G Modem. It surprisingly plays well; my latency is still under 100ms, I never dropped the connection despite getting a phone call while playing, and GW2 itself uses little bandwidth to play.

I'll be up for a Newbie Raid if we're doing that after missions.

Retro

We need 40 kegs for the tavern! (down from like 140) Hopefully we see some donations at missions tonight. Obviously optional but we could be there if everyone donates 1 or 2

I've been tapped out (lol) forever. In fact, I dumped all of my materials and all but 18g of my money into the guild hall.

mikeGFG

Banned
Yeah, if they don't adjust the EULA and TOS to nip this sort of stuff in the bud now, it's not going to be long before you have stuff like Gearscore. Every day I'm finding more and more reasons not to log in.

The Reddit thread would be a hoot if it wasn't so pathetic;

bCSIdPa.jpg

The mental disconnect some people have is just amazing.

That reply just hurts my head.

Remfin

DPS meter stuff was implemented long ago...I certainly did it. It doesn't require you doing any nonsense with your play screen anyway - the G15 integration prints out your dmg, and you don't need a G15 keyboard to read that data either.

I'm not sure it really fits into GW2 at all (except the raids)...but from playing another game without DPS meters (FF14), the community ends up just as bad without them, AND you can't even defend yourself from the idiocy.

"Bads" are real in MMOs. It's often not even their fault, but the fault of the lack of DPS meters. When you introduce a "bad" in FF14 to the (illegal) DPS meter you literally will see their DPS increase 4x as they figure out what actually works now that they can actually see numbers.

I've certainly seen some of you guys coming down on DPS meters now criticize people's builds in the past for not actually delivering the DPS they think they are even though they're "fun."

Morokh

Eh. DPS meters are for

1.) Pug Raids
2.) Self Measurement tool.

If you weren't pugging raids or didnt care about monitoring your own dps, I really think the effect will be minimal.

Pugging raids will be 'harder' because of the possible scrutiny, and it might prevent some people to be able to try it because they're not 'good enough', that's basically the only big effect this will have.

Basically 'LFG dungeon full zerker only' for Raids, nothing we haven't seen before.

Retro

DPS meter stuff was implemented long ago...I certainly did it. It doesn't require you doing any nonsense with your play screen anyway - the G15 integration prints out your dmg, and you don't need a G15 keyboard to read that data either.

My issue with this new one is that it connects to a server to load everyone's DPS into the meter, not just your own. The concern is that raid groups will insist everyone install this (highly suspect and, despite their claims, potentially bannable) mod, plus OBS for screen-capturing, or GTFO. As Morokh points out, it's basically a new level of "LFG dungeon full zerker only," but one players have to jump through a lot more (fishy) loops to deal with.

It doesn't affect me personally, but it does make the community more toxic and pushes the game further into territory I wish it would avoid, but at this point I've pretty much given up on the game ever getting back to what I enjoy so it only elicits a great big shrug.

"Bads" are real in MMOs. It's often not even their fault, but the fault of the lack of DPS meters. When you introduce a "bad" in FF14 to the (illegal) DPS meter you literally will see their DPS increase 4x as they figure out what actually works now that they can actually see numbers.

The problem with DPS meters (and Gearscore, asking for achievement points, etc.) is that they're only provide a narrow definition of how someone plays, but are used by the community to pass judgement arbitrarily. For example, DPS meters only track DPS, so that becomes the metric by which everyone judges a player's performance; it excludes things like applying boons and clearing conditions (which improves everyone else's DPS), splash healing, and all the other stuff that was supposed to be important in GW2 but has fallen by the wayside (and with the way raids functions, doesn't appear to be coming back any time soon).

Likewise, Gearscore looks at a player's gear and summarizes them based entirely on that; maybe they've been unlucky with a drop, haven't played in a while or (my favorite catch-22) they can't get the gear needed to do hard content because they haven't done the hard content to get the gear needed. It gives absolutely zero information on how good of a player that person is at actually playing the game.

AP is just as stupid; it doesn't track anything other than how many achievements you've chased down. Someone could theoretically max out their WvW and PvP achievements and get into high-AP PvE groups without anyone batting an eyelash.

All three are ways for people to apply a single numerical value to a player that allows them to pass judgement, without knowing how good of a player they really are. In the same way having good gear doesn't make someone a good player, knowing the "optimal rotation" and being able to actually execute it are two different things (like that ridiculous 30-something step rotation for engineers that's impossible to pull off on anything but a target dummy) and min/maxing is not indicative of skill. If they were just used as a tool to improve, that'd be fine, but that's never how it works out, and in a genre where the community is bundled right into the gameplay, the bad outweighs the good.

If you weren't pugging raids or didnt care about monitoring your own dps, I really think the effect will be minimal.

The only effect it has is that the shit tacos of the world get a little spicier.
JUWnj.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Missions starting in 2 hours, please hop on mumble, even if you don't have a mic, for the next chance to get all your comms and make sure you don't miss anything!

Will be trying to put together a newbie Vale Guardian kill after lotto (around 10:45pm EST).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom