• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
01%20-%20MAIN%20-%20Crop%20-%20Medium.jpg

It's not done yet, but I wanted to share a little something I've been working on for Ike who commissioned me to draw Brynn Vaulderie and Beast Brokenclaw together in the Fractals. I went with something a little placid, but I'm liking how it's coming out.

It's not done yet, but I wanted to share a little something I've been working on for Ike who commissioned me to draw Brynn Vaulderie and Beast Brokenclaw together in the Fractals. I went with something a little placid, but I'm liking how it's coming out.

Yay! Love the colors.

Emitan

GW2 is causing my computer to crash pretty regularly. Sometimes its a BSOD, sometimes the computer just locks up. So I'm sorry I had to abandon the raid. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm hoping its just a driver issue or something on Anet's end that'll be fixed quickly and not a hardware issue :(

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Lookin good! Nailed that human cultural armor.

tiijj

GW2 is causing my computer to crash pretty regularly. Sometimes its a BSOD, sometimes the computer just locks up. So I'm sorry I had to abandon the raid. I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm hoping its just a driver issue or something on Anet's end that'll be fixed quickly and not a hardware issue :(

Do you have AMD video card?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I just started doing HoT content. So in order to get mastery I need to just earn XP like I was leveling up? Does only XP I earn in HoT zones count towards HoT mastery? That's kinda some shit if so. I've been 80 and earning non-HoT exp for months. I probably could have maxed it out by now.

spiritfox

I just started doing HoT content. So in order to get mastery I need to just earn XP like I was leveling up? Does only XP I earn in HoT zones count towards HoT mastery? That's kinda some shit if so. I've been 80 and earning non-HoT exp for months. I probably could have maxed it out by now.

Yes, and yes. You also need mastery points to unlock the masteries after maxing out the XP bar. That'll be your main issue, since XP is pretty abundant.

LiQuid!

Yes, and yes. You also need mastery points to unlock the masteries after maxing out the XP bar. That'll be your main issue, since XP is pretty abundant.

Yeah I had been earning mastery points for doing like achievement stuff and random stuff around the game. I thought that was going to give me a leg up once I unlocked the mastery system, but nope I guess I still gotta fill up the bars too. More incentive to do all the events around the HoT zones, so I guess that was smart of them.

Am I supposed to be getting my butt kicked a little bit by HoT monsters? The zone I was in felt difficult like the zone with the Karka Queen in it.

Am I supposed to be getting my butt kicked a little bit by HoT monsters? The zone I was in felt difficult like the zone with the Karka Queen in it.
Yeah. Most Magus Falls creatures are going to throw out way more crowd control and try to burst you down way faster than anything you'll meet in Central Tyria. It takes some time to adjust, and you have to pay more attention to what you're doing, but you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

In my own experience, the final answer continues to be more offense though. I tried more defensive traits and utilities during the first week or two, and it just doesn't work out as well as using all of the buffs you pick up from Elite Specs and going all out on everything you meet. You still have to play smart and learn tells for dodging and where to pull mobs and position yourself to keep from getting outnumbered, but it's pretty easy to out burst even nasty Veteran Chak with practice.

Hedge

Kind of depends on playstyle. I had all HoT mastery points and map completion long before I had the XP. In my experience XP was the worst part, and it sucks to waste it.

Adriaaa loves this guild and game so much he is trying to keep OT alive by staging random posts from other threads in here.

guild leader material.

We saw Dune Soarer today :O

and will probably never see him again

EDIT: Note to self, we saw him around 3:40pm EST, check back in 6 hours to see if the timer is correct

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Folks that expressed possibly wanting to attend the newbie raid tomorrow after makeup missions:

1. Me self
2. Ike
3. Morokh
4. Quenk
5. NobleXenon
6. Wanderer5

I believe that leaves 4 spaces

Thanks everyone for quick missions tonight. We finished in an hour, must be a record for post-HoT missions.

As a reminder anyone can start missions now. You can do treks, wvw, and pvp missions or whatever whenever you want :)

Hedge

Finally got done with my Astralaria!
Never again though. The farm for amalgamated gemstones, crystalline ingots, etc., has pretty much cured me of any desire of ever getting any of the new legendaries. Once has been quite enough, thank you.

I won't be on for the rest of the day to do makeup missions or the newbie raid. My fiance failed to tell me we were going somewhere until the last minute, even though it was known for weeks. :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally got done with my Astralaria!
Never again though. The farm for amalgamated gemstones, crystalline ingots, etc., has pretty much cured me of any desire of ever getting any of the new legendaries. Once has been quite enough, thank you.
I can't much interest myself in all that grind either, but I have to admit that looks incredible.
I won't be on for the rest of the day to do makeup missions or the newbie raid. My fiance failed to tell me we were going somewhere until the last minute, even though it was known for weeks. :/
Well have a good time!

When setting up future newbie raids, we probably need people to choose beforehand which specific role they want to fill. At Vale Guardian, we need a Tank, a Healer, three Condition DPS, and five Power DPS. This isn't really negotiable, but fortunately it shouldn't be that difficult to put together.

Once we have volunteers to fill all of the roles, I strongly urge everyone to look here and use one of the recommended builds, or get as close to it as you can within reason. There are plenty to choose from, so find whatever suits you best. It's extremely difficult, especially when you are first starting out, to use a build that is only passable or "good enough." The closer you get to the best builds and the best team compositions, the easier things will be for everyone; raids don't leave beginners with a lot of wiggle room. I would never be super-picky about what people bring, but being exclusive about how things are done is how PUGs are frequently able to put together groups of random people and complete the entire wing. Particular builds work well and are the best many reasons.

Before attempts, watch videos on the raid bosses, read guides, and practice your class. If the recommended builds are different from what you normally use, read as much as you can about why the builds use what they do. Blindly following someone else's build template and not knowing why you have a specific skill or trait chosen doesn't do you any good either. Know what will be expected from you and your role.

I don't mean to say any of this in an overly serious tone, and I don't know how much more I can say on it before I sound entirely like an elitist jerk, but I want to see everyone succeed at raids. I'm willing to keep trying as many times as it takes, but please take the necessary steps to help yourself first so everyone else on your team can then ensure you succeed when it counts. I want us to be able to practice and get better, but we can't do that if we keep setting ourselves up for guaranteed failure from the very beginning.

I also don't say any of this to intimidate or scare anyone away from raids. I'll welcome anyone and everyone who wants to come, but you've got to give us something to work with.

Retro

I had a big snarky post all written up, but you know what? I'm not gonna be "That Guy."

But all of that? That's why I don't fucking raid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom