• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The passive effect from Healing Signet is usually your best option in PvE. Almost 400 HP per second is nothing to sneeze at. You do have to wait for it after taking a hit though, so constant pressure leads to you losing any war of attrition. The active heal is so small you really only use it as a last ditch effort or to get the Resistance boon and save yourself from conditions spiking you down.

Defiant Stance is good for times when you know you need to absorb a high burst of damage, or times when you just want to stand in an AoE and not give a fuck.

"To The Limit!" I'd only really use with other shouts and the Vigorous Shouts grandmaster trait from the Tactics specialization. Even with zero healing power, the trait adds a 1000 HP heal to every shout skill.

The Berserker's Blood Reckoning sometimes seems to be more of a DPS option than an actual heal. When you are in Berserk Mode it instantly caps your Adrenaline and takes your Primal Bursts off cooldown, so its main attraction is letting you use multiple powerful attacks in very short periods of time. That does benefit you for healing, since it heals 10% of the damage you do (in addition to a small base heal), but sometimes you end up in a bad position after using it, and the five seconds it lasts gets wasted before you have a chance to hit much of anything.

There is also the Defense specialization minor trait Adrenal Health that heals you every three seconds depending on how much Adrenaline you have. Combined with Healing Signet and the Regeneration boon (which you can trait to be granted from banners with a major trait in the Discipline specialization), you can heal up surprisingly quickly. In the open world, I also like to use food such as Omnomberry Pies/Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream for additional health while fighting.

Warrior
Brutal Shot: Fixed a bug that prevented the roll-back portion of this skill from functioning if the player was in midair.

What the fuck. That shouldn't have been considered a bug. Using the skill while jumping and canceling the dodge back was the only way to make it usable in a lot of situations.

Improvements
The Captain’s Airship Pass and Royal Terrace Pass can now be used from the PvP lobby, WvW, dungeons, and raids. Using these passes will cause you to lose your progress in those instances.

This is cool though. Fewer loading screens, yay.

Pro

There is also the Defense specialization minor trait Adrenal Health that heals you every three second depending on how much Adrenaline you have. Combined with Healing Signet and the Regeneration boon (which you can trait to be granted from banners from a major trait in the Discipline specialization), you can heal up surprisingly quickly. In the open world, I also like to use food like Omnomberry Pies/Scoop of Mintberry Swirl Ice Cream for additional health while fighting.

This sounds promising, but then it detracts from your overall damage output by using a Defense specialization. The others you mentioned sound like they suffer from the same issue I'm having, being once you pop the skills to utilize them, you're dead in the water in a war of attrition unless you kill first. Seems like the class is dependent on killing fast and killing first which is at odds with utilizing defensive strategies. Then what's the benefit of a Warrior over a Revenent with higher DPS anyway? I can dodge and evade attacks while I'm waiting on recharges but then with only close attacks I'm not doing anything but evading and buying time. I'm mostly trying delve into and get a feel for different classes since I've primarily been an Ele all my life since GW1 even. Zerg groups with the Warrior have been fun though. And it has been fun learning the elite specializations with different classes.

Weapons like mainhand mace, offhand sword, and shield offer ways to outright block a lot of attacks, and there is the skill Endure Pain that also protects you from non-condition damage.

Dodging and smart use of the greatsword 3 skill's evade are the meta warrior build's only real chance of long-term survival. The Strength specialization has a minor trait that restores 15 endurance every time a burst skill hits, so be sure to make good use of it.

Warhorn is also a defensive weapon that can apply Weakness to enemies and grant you Vigor for even more endurance. Signet of Stamina now stacks with Vigor, so using both means a whole lot of chances to evade damage in the first place and not need a heal.

Also, feel free to bring rifle or longbow on your swap. If you need to put distance between yourself and an enemy to survive, there's no reason not to. If you played staff Ele, you know a lot of survivability comes from stuff not having the chance to get to your position before it is already dead. Warrior rifle also makes for a potent opening engagement tool since the 2 and 4 skills apply a lot of vulnerability, boosting your damage once you fully engage with greatsword or such. The Primal Burst Gunflame is no joke DPS wise either. As a defensive weapon the 4 skill is an extra dodge, and the 5 skill is a long knockback.

It's always a matter of balancing offense and defense, just like any class. The way you do it just isn't always the same.

Dat Glider....

gw130tsrcc.jpg

Is there any class that could be beneficial to raid with but GAF is currently lacking? I have more hours then I care to admit in gw2 and sitting on 200 tomes of knowledge. I have alts but would like to focus on a main to get ascended gear and help out the group when possible.

*I enjoy the game and all classes are enjoyable to me in some shape or form. minus mesmer, I could never do well with one in PvP.

Missed this, sorry. Condi builds and healers are often the last role to get filled, so if your main goal is filling the gaps you might be best off going with one of those. Some classes are better at condi than others, the most desired condi builds right now come from druid, reaper, and engineer. Berserker also has a great condi build and it's my condi build of choice.

The thing with condi builds is that their stat sets are really expensive, with Viper's being the best option for DPS - it's 3 black diamonds per piece and those are about a gold an a half right now on the TP. Sinister is a good alternative that will put out similar damage at a much lower cost, so if you're not made of money you might be better off going for that.

Druid is the most desired healing class, but healy tempest is really good as well. Both provide lots of support and decent DPS in addition to their healing so it really just boils down to what play style you prefer. Druid is more bursty heals and tempest is constant smaller heals.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This whole patch...

...Anet is really getting on my nerves now. A lot of their changes to some stuff basically equates to killing convenience. And they hide it through "because it's not fair to other players". Changing the farm spawn so that you end up in the itzel village? Changing PvP dailies?

docbon

All Sabetha cheevos acquireddddd.

The fight is quite a bit more intense with the cannon damaging the platform the entire time. Becomes a real DPS race.

Morokh

This whole patch...

...Anet is really getting on my nerves now. A lot of their changes to some stuff basically equates to killing convenience. And they hide it through "because it's not fair to other players". Changing the farm spawn so that you end up in the itzel village? Changing PvP dailies?

The Pvp daily change is exactly a convenience thing, now you're not stuck with Conquest, you can also play Stronghold.

The Pvp daily change is exactly a convenience thing, now you're not stuck with Conquest, you can also play Stronghold.

It doesn't count for custom arenas, only unranked/ranked, so when the new dailies are up you can't do the daily rooms.

I think I can agree with having to actually *play a PvP match* to get the PvP daily though. You don't have to win or be good, you just have to play.

I don't know if relogging to your character sitting at a waypoint is intentional, that seems really weird to me. Even if it was intentional all you have to do is jump off again, it's not like you have to hike to get back to it, so I don't see the point of ANet intentionally making that a thing.

Quenk

I don't know if relogging to your character sitting at a waypoint is intentional, that seems really weird to me. Even if it was intentional all you have to do is jump off again, it's not like you have to hike to get back to it, so I don't see the point of ANet intentionally making that a thing.

It's more annoying for people that park alts at jp chests but you're right that it's probably unintentional

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/bugs/Character-Position-is-not-saved/first#post6001447

Clearos

Missed this, sorry. Condi builds and healers are often the last role to get filled, so if your main goal is filling the gaps you might be best off going with one of those. Some classes are better at condi than others, the most desired condi builds right now come from druid, reaper, and engineer. Berserker also has a great condi build and it's my condi build of choice.

The thing with condi builds is that their stat sets are really expensive, with Viper's being the best option for DPS - it's 3 black diamonds per piece and those are about a gold an a half right now on the TP. Sinister is a good alternative that will put out similar damage at a much lower cost, so if you're not made of money you might be better off going for that.

Druid is the most desired healing class, but healy tempest is really good as well. Both provide lots of support and decent DPS in addition to their healing so it really just boils down to what play style you prefer. Druid is more bursty heals and tempest is constant smaller heals.

Good to hear, was leaning towards druid or ele and it looks like I'll win out either way.

Ele it is.

Morokh

It doesn't count for custom arenas, only unranked/ranked, so when the new dailies are up you can't do the daily rooms.

I think I can agree with having to actually *play a PvP match* to get the PvP daily though. You don't have to win or be good, you just have to play.

The only one that can't be completed in a custom is indeed the one that stipulates ranked or unranked, but it's not like it's hard to get ... and it might even spark people to actually try an actual PvP match an realizing that it's not necessarily so bad ...

I haven't played in a custom for, well .... certainly years ... but you should be able to get everything else unless something changed.

The thing is that at least now, for someone like me who at least wants his PvP dailies done every day (those PvP potions for Reward Tracks are just too good to pass on ...) now I really have a choice in gamemode, cause let's face it PvP has been and is still overall very skewed towards Conquest despite the introduction of Stronghold, and the 'capture' and 'defend' dailies were among the first thing to change to start fixing that.

Proven

They took away Crusader Amulet. Fuck. It was literally what brought love and affection to my Necromancer for the last several months.

With school and everything else in my life, I'm likely to extend my break and not play this season. But when I get back, fuck.

Maybe I can make something work with that precision, vitality, and healing power amulet...

Boss Doggie

the problem is that customs don't count for the new condition

back then with "win with x class", "earn x pvp points", "cap", "kill", it's easy to do in a custom match so swiftly

The only one that can't be completed in a custom is indeed the one that stipulates ranked or unranked, but it's not like it's hard to get ... and it might even spark people to actually try an actual PvP match an realizing that it's not necessarily so bad ...

considering I've tried every PvP esque game in this (dragon ball, snowball fight, even pvp occasionally) and they've only given me headaches, I'd prefer this, much quicker too

I know no one cares about this, but the next couple upgrades in the Hall are going into the Mine since we need to up the Aetherium capacity before getting further into the other areas.

The mine will need Mithril Ingots, Elder Wood Planks, and Ley Line Tools soon for some of those upgrades. If you can't put into the treasure, you can put into the guild bank as well.

I can make the Ley Line Tools. When will the Guild Hall need them?

Proven

At some point tomorrow we will have the aetherium for the mine expansion but we need a bunch of elder wood planks too. Then there is a mining rate upgrade that costs 150 tools. We will need to build up the aetherium for that too so it is not immediate.

Let me log in and throw in some logs. Not sure how much I have left though.

Dropped off all I had. Apparently I had forgotten I made orders for logs last month in order to make kegs. Logging in felt... warm. Like, if I forget about the past and future and just focus on running around in the game, it'd be fun. But I'm busy this weekend and have to head to work...

Oh yeah, and we need about 1k more planks.

explodet

It's the principle of the thing, man! We're on their radar now!

But in all seriousness, I'm glad to hear the nerf wasn't severe. It's not like my current gear has +condition on in anyway. :D

nataku

Cool for those who want to raid, I guess.

Lets make some bets. Another content update for raids first (after Salvation Pass), or some sort of fractal or guild mission content update?

Retro

Lets make some bets. Another content update for raids first (after Salvation Pass), or some sort of fractal or guild mission content update?

Definitely going to be a raid. The facts just don't support either of those getting an update first when they haven't had any new content in over two years. The last piece of Guild Mission content was Angvar's Trove in May 2013 and the last time a new Fractal was added was November 2013 (and if you want to look at the glass as particularly half-empty, that was all recycled Living Story content too).

Since the Spring update is the next best chance for either to happen, it's actually closer to three years without any new Guild Mission content.

Those are the facts... and I don't like those odds.

Boss Doggie

Remember when even when you got post-80, you could still gain exp for HP? yeah me too!

All these wasted EXP, couldn't they just make you learn Maguuma masteries when you learned all of Central? As well as these floating unused points?

Retro

Quenk

With no date and tucked at the bottom under "Looking Longer Term" which could mean any time this year; there's a whole lot of 2016 left for it to happen in. Meanwhile, they've pushed out two raid updates in three months, so which is the more likely to happen first?

The 3rd wing isn't even listed so there's no guarantee that it'll be on the same timeline. Also 3 months? It'll be almost 4 months between the two wings.

I'm not arguing that the fractal update will come out before the 3rd raid wing. I just wouldn't be surprised either way.

Taffer

Are we not expecting Season 3 (relatively) soon? My headcalendar says wing 2 > S3 > all the other stuff that didn't get a date beyond this year.

Retro

Are we not expecting Season 3 (relatively) soon? My headcalendar says wing 2 > S3 > all the other stuff that didn't get a date beyond this year.

The only upcoming release, other than the next raid of course, is a "Spring 2016" update, which they havent said is the start of Season 3 or not. No date given for it either, though April keeps getting mentioned.

Anyone here experiencing terrible PvP this season? I'm either on a team that devastates the opposing team, or I get wrecked by a team of Primordial Legends that are a Division higher than my whole team. Screenshots are below.

gw008.jpg~original

gw006.jpg~original

What make this worse is that this is every other game; so I'm going nowhere right now in the Leagues since the pip gain/loss is very binary.

nan0

Anyone here experiencing terrible PvP this season? I'm either on a team that devastates the opposing team, or I get wrecked by a team of Primordial Legends that are a Division higher than my whole team. Screenshots are below.

What make this worse is that this is every other game; so I'm going nowhere right now in the Leagues since the pip gain/loss is very binary.

Yes, but I usually have either win-streaks or loss-streaks. "4 wins in a row? Tough shit, you're gonna lose your next 7 matches."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom