• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

I had a big snarky post all written up, but you know what? I'm not gonna be "That Guy."

But all of that? That's why I don't fucking raid.

I was actually going to make a post myself and I was trying to find a way to make my point known without sounding snarky.

Like, literally everything you posted Ike is the the most major turn off about raiding.

docbon

Reading that post has me fully torqued tbh.

in summation
  • read up on recommended raid builds and their functionality, bring one
  • practice rotations and take a glance at the fight mechanics
  • make your team and ikey-senpai proud~

Finally got done with my Astralaria!
Never again though. The farm for amalgamated gemstones, crystalline ingots, etc., has pretty much cured me of any desire of ever getting any of the new legendaries. Once has been quite enough, thank you.

Woot ban lifted...

Congrats, and feel the same, only way i am making another new legendary, i get Chak Egg Sac sell it and buy everything otherwise it's old Legendary, while i was banned got my third Legendary drop, The Hunter, stated before i don't use the rifle, sold it, bought the Lover, currently making the Dreamer could be done if wasn't for the dead dungeons, I have every thing, need 500 Deadly Blooms, 2 days trying didn't get enough people to run TA..thanks Anet..

xeris

Reading that post has me fully torqued tbh.

in summation
  • read up on recommended raid builds and their functionality, bring one
  • practice rotations and take a glance at the fight mechanics
  • make your team and ikey-senpai proud~

Yup. Basically that entire post was "We don't want actual newbies on the newbie raid. Make sure you only play approved builds and for gods sake don't expect US to teach you anything about the mechanics."

Quenk

Woot ban lifted...

Congrats, and feel the same, only way i am making another new legendary, i get Chak Egg Sac sell it and buy everything otherwise it's old Legendary, while i was banned got my third Legendary drop, The Hunter, stated before i don't use the rifle, sold it, bought the Lover, currently making the Dreamer could be done if wasn't for the dead dungeons, I have every thing, need 500 Deadly Blooms, 2 days trying didn't get enough people to run TA..thanks Anet..

TA is actually one of the dungeons I see pugs running still. The couple hours after reset seem to be the best time to find people doing dungeons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think ultimately we did fine considering multiple first timers and relatively little coordination or optimization, I know I realized afterwards that i wasn't even using consumables and I definitely noted the biggest speed bumps for me personally didn't actually have anything to do with my build, but more just developing instincts (or undoing certain ones that already exist) so that I'm always able to make it to the lightning circles, always in the position to get the right "charge" for the split phase, not going out of my way to revive, etc. I did make some progress on a personal level with the encounter for sure having attempted it a total of twice with a group of 8 before today, so thank you to everyone that took part!

I'm never going to have stringent requirements for builds of people participating in what I'll continue to refer to as "newbie raids" and I have no desire at all to watch videos or read guides about anything before experiencing it legitimately on my own. Of course anyone who prefers to should absolutely do that but I don't assume that anyone has if it's a group I'm putting together, and expect that some or all are more interested in just feeling things out for themselves as I am. I like to see what works and what doesn't in practice and make adjustments and ask and answer questions, and therein is actually a lot of the fun of raiding for me. I know that such an approach limits my success in absolute terms, that I may only make slow progress in time and not all raid encounters will even ever be in my reach to complete, and I'm okay with that.

I know that such concessions will be extremely frustrating to anyone who is used to raiding in an extremely precise manner with the expectation of success. I absolutely don't expect anyone who would indeed get frustrated while playing because a group is not utilizing only recommended builds or showing up with prior knowledge to take part in such endeavors for my sake. But I do want to make them available for people who feel similarly. Ike, if you want to set up a raid in advance that leverages the requirements you've listed above then it is 100% your prerogative to do so. But that's not what I'm looking for, and I don't expect you to tolerate my slapdash approach. All I really care about is that it's fun and not the kind of environment anyone who doesn't know what they're doing would feel bad about joining. :)

Spyware

I guess I thought the fact that there would be newbie raid thingies meant that is was doable by newbies now. Not newbies who change up their whole playstyle and train up beforehand.

It's not Ike's fault the raid is fucking terribly designed tho. ArenaNet just made "Diet WoW" and it sucks.

Yup. Basically that entire post was "We don't want actual newbies on the newbie raid. Make sure you only play approved builds and for gods sake don't expect US to teach you anything about the mechanics."

When did he say anything remotely close to that?

He ran an Arah 4 teaching event for the guild for people who didn't want to do it with pugs, and then he ran a twelve-week set of teaching events for every single dungeon path in the game. I don't really think anyone can say he is not willing to bring inexperienced people and not willing to teach the mechanics.

Spyware

When did he say anything remotely close to that?

He ran an Arah 4 teaching event for the guild for people who didn't want to do it with pugs, and then he ran a twelve-week set of teaching events for every single dungeon path in the game. I don't really think anyone can say he is not willing to bring inexperienced people and not willing to teach the mechanics.
I don't think he meant it like that but things like "Before attempts, watch videos on the raid bosses, read guides, and practice your class." sounds a bit like "no actual newbies allowed". That's what people reacted to, maybe? I did at least.

I've never considered myself a "newbie" if I read guides and watch videos of everything that I'm about to encounter. In WoW I did stuff like that and then joined experienced raid groups doing the latest content, often in "harder" roles like off tank or main healer, without problems. I'm not a newbie if I know everything already!

Newbie groups for me is what Hawkian is talking about or those dungeon runs you mentioned. We (me and Cresc) went in completely blind in those dungeons and had a blast. I know the exact same thing doesn't work with stupid raids since they are basically no fun allowed by design ;P, but what Hawkian is talking about is more of what a newbie run would be for me. Experience it, adapt to it, evolve!

No one in the raid today was a newbie. They had all tried and failed before. This is the point where you have to start looking for more resources to improve yourself.

If some people are going to be completely unwilling to invest any actual effort into it, I don't know why anyone else should bother either.

We put together raids four times this week for players who hadn't beaten it yet, and we gladly taught mechanics and gave tips on what to do. Six of us in the squad today had the Eternal title and got zero rewards out of helping. It was purely for the benefit of helping inexperienced players practice. That's infinitely more than some of you will ever do to help beyond talking shit in this thread.

Retro

No one in the raid today was a newbie. They had all tried and failed before. This is the point where you have to start looking for more resources to improve yourself.

If some people are going to be completely unwilling to invest any actual effort into it, I don't know why anyone else should bother either.

We put together raids four times this week for players who hadn't beaten it yet, and we gladly taught mechanics and gave tips on what to do. Six of us in the squad today had the Eternal title and got zero rewards out of helping. It was purely for the benefit of helping inexperienced players practice. That's infinitely more than some of you will ever do to help beyond talking shit in this thread.

Ike, I think you're a natural leader, a skilled player and a willing and patient teacher. I hope it goes without saying that I consider you a friend. But I also know how raiding works and how it affects people, and I wish there was something I could say that would convey what I'm getting at, but no matter what I say it's going to come across as antagonistic or condescending. It's just something you'll have to find out for yourself because there's no magical phrase or silver bullet I've ever found that can do the trick.

If / when you get to the other side of it, I hope you don't hold a grudge and we'll be friends afterwords.

Spyware

I'm a bit afraid of posting now but uhm.. I guess we're talking about two different things?

Hawkian wants to run newbie raids. Raids where people can go in without any prior experience, without guides and specific builds, fail and then build from that. Not seeing wipes as time wasted, just... lessons. Something that explains what to do differently and what to change. And just have a fun time with friends.

Ike wants to run "help raids". Raids for people that want a great guide (because you are, Ike) and are willing to play the WoW raiding game. The planned, structured runs for people that don't want to PUG and that might not be mega experienced, but still go in for that specific type of game design.

...if that makes any sense. :/

xeris

did you mean to quote someone else

Nope, quoted who I meant to. Was mostly going of the senpai Ike thing since his (Ike's) post really did read like it was condescending. Now after Spyware's post and Ike's response I realize that Ike doesn't really want to have anything whatsoever to do with true newbie raids. He only wants to be involved with people that have some experience but need a guide to get over the hump. And that's OK. Just don't say they're newbie raids.

We've done both though. If today had been a "newbie raid" as advertised (since that's seems to be the phrase we are hung up on), I would have been fine with nine entirely new players, and proceeded to do my best to guide people through all of it. I enjoy that and have done it before. I've never turned anyone away from a raid up to this point.

But while I am willing to teach the lesson, people have to take what they learned, do their homework. and think of ways to improve. When you come back week after week and keep failing the test, it starts to make me wonder why we are investing so much of our time on an impossible approach. This isn't just today's raid, but multiple runs with the guild in the past.

In my first post I made very simple suggestions on things we could do before next time, and suddenly people with no involvement want to start telling me I am wrong for asking people to try something different.

xeris

Then maybe you shouldn't have said

When setting up future newbie raids, we probably need people to choose beforehand which specific role they want to fill. At Vale Guardian, we need a Tank, a Healer, three Condition DPS, and five Power DPS. This isn't really negotiable, but fortunately it shouldn't be that difficult to put together.

Everything that follows on from that pretty much says that you really don't want people involved if they're not willing to do that. For example, I checked that site you link to. My main is a ranger without druid spec nor do I have any interest in being a healer with him. The only build on that site for a ranger in raids is druid. If I were to take Ivogar same problem. He only has 2 skills in the elite spec so he fails as well. Your post says that if I don't grind those out and play something I'm not interested in at all I shouldn't go to a newbie raid.

If you meant a particular circumstance other than a newbie raid then you should have said so and made clear from the start that you were not REALLY talking about newbie raids.

Ashodin

Six of us in the squad today had the Eternal title and got zero rewards out of helping. It was purely for the benefit of helping inexperienced players practice. That's infinitely more than some of you will ever do to help beyond talking shit in this thread.

Guilt-tripping. You don't need to tell us this information.

Also that entire post comes off as stand-offish.

I'd like to be on the record that I didn't tell you "you were wrong" at all, but rather that the kind of post you made can seem (to the raiding without cubbyholing types) limiting to them and like being given a command.

With language like "this isn't negotiable" and "I strongly urge" you're venturing into the territory of "it has to be this way, no other" regardless of the fact that there are many builds people can "slot into".

Regardless, I know you're a great guy and enjoy doing what you're doing, so I hope you can understand I'm not trying to insult you or belittle you in any way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No one in the raid today was a newbie. They had all tried and failed before.
Two were completely, never-even-entered-before, first-timer-style new, and I'm not sure I'd concede that I've even "tried and failed" before. It was my first time with a full group :)

Spyware totally has the distinction right. I had a fun time today even though I can understand it must have felt like a complete failure from your perspective. I think I ought to have mentioned in advance that I didn't necessary expect to get the kill at all, even in the ~2.5 hours I knew we'd have had if 10 had shown up right at 4.
But while I am willing to teach the lesson, people have to take what they learned, do their homework. and think of ways to improve. When you come back week after week and keep failing the test, it starts to make me wonder why we are investing so much of our time on an impossible approach. This isn't just today's raid, but multiple runs with the guild in the past.
I think that's a perfectly legitimate stance and a good reason not to want to take part in this kind of thing. Based on the progress I saw both in myself and the encounter phases from the jump, it didn't feel like an impossible approach, just an admittedly inefficient one that yielded slow progress. I can't relate to "week after week" either- today was the second day I'd ever been a part of a raid in GW2, and the 7 attempts at VG today were 7 of the 9 I've done total. If I did feel like that, I can completely understand not wanting anything to do with it.

I should apologize for any confusion and drama I may have inadvertently brought about! It was commendable of Ike (and everyone else involved, especially Levyne for also reaching out into whisperland to grab pinch-hitters) to come to help out today and I think he absolutely had the best intentions. And from my perspective it was a legitimately rewarding experience. Wanting to help people who actually do know what they're doing isn't an unreasonable desire. It's no one's fault that we were looking for different things, and if anything certainly mine for not communicating explicitly about the kind of approach I want to offer. In particular, I am absolutely 100% expecting and even hoping to sometimes have people join that have never set foot in the raid before and know nothing whatsoever about the encounters inside.

I do want and plan to keep trying the raid in a casual way and offer an environment for that, but I will be much more clear about the expectations and atmosphere I'm aiming for.

Are raids divisive because they are difficult to beat or because they are difficult to set up? I'd argue that the former is a good thing for raids to be, but the latter is the reason I'm losing the will to do them (almost feel the same way about the new map meta events). I know from plenty of other non MMO games that organizing more than say five people to A. know what they're doing, B. fit a specific role, C. are willing to stay for 2 hours, and D. will most likely not have to leave for some reason in that time; is a massive barrier to doing these things. That probably makes 'Newbie Raid' an oxymoron, as these things are inherently prohibitive to casual players, especially in a casual game like this one.

It's a shame, but they could've at least left dungeons (and fractals) intact. Somehow, every problem I have with the game leads back to this point.

Proven

Um... anyone excited about PvP League Season 2 this Tuesday?

I unfortunately missed the Pro League finals yesterday. Going to have to watch the VODs during the week. Afraid to look at the posts I've missed in the past week in case someone spoiled it (yeah, right).

spiritfox

Um... anyone excited about PvP League Season 2 this Tuesday?

I unfortunately missed the Pro League finals yesterday. Going to have to watch the VODs during the week. Afraid to look at the posts I've missed in the past week in case someone spoiled it (yeah, right).

Would be glad to not play unranked ever again so yes.

When Ike helped people in dungeons by showing them best paths or quickest paths to succeed everyone was happy.

Guy suggests that succeeding in the raid requires a bit more investment in your reaction, knowing the fight and different gear to succeed, now everyone is upset?

The way the raid is set up, the unprepared runs without recommended gear or enough experience will only succeed if you have enough time to play for 20-30 hours of constant raiding and adjusting...but if your doing 3-4 runs with same gear, without changing play style once a week, you will never complete the raid because that is how it has been designed. It is been designed such that the things Ike recommends are required to succeed.

I had a fun time today even though I can understand it must have felt like a complete failure from your perspective.

No. I had a lot of fun and was glad to help, and I would have been very happy to continue helping in the future. Any time we were able to get guild members working together was automatically a success in my mind. No one there yesterday had any grand illusions of us beating Vale Guardian, I can assure you. We knew what we were getting into. Like I said, we did the same kind of thing all week long, and we've been doing it for weeks before now.

I offered what were and still are very reasonable suggestions for anyone in the guild to consider the next time they wanted to raid, and I was vilified for it. So that's fine. The majority of the guild has always played in ways that run completely counter to how I approach the game, and that's my problem, not anyone else's. And never once have I made it anyone else's problem.

But after all the time I've spent doing dungeons, fractals, and raids with the guild I assumed people would trust me and consider what I had to say with a level head. Instead I got whatever this mess is. Not once have I ever told a player in this guild they had to change their build or play some way they were uncomfortable with. Not once have I ever rejected someone who wanted to be a part of what we were doing. But not once have I ever brought up mere suggestions of better ways of doing things and not caught a shitstorm from people, usually who aren't involved in any part of what we are doing, telling me how I'm not supposed to mention anything that could be considered "meta." It's nice to know the effort I devote to things like this is only worthy of snark and disrespect, regardless of attempts made to explain away such derisive comments as otherwise.

Instead of everyone being so afraid of raids they could have just played them with each other and seen that they were a lot of fun, but they'd rather talk about how they already know everything about them is terrible and there's no hope of being involved with them unless you are a massive poopsocking dick. We talked about this exact same thing when raids were announced, while I was an officer. I can't figure out now why I stayed around so long thinking things would ever be any different.

I'm very sorry to have brought any of this up. I've said my piece and intend to be done with it. The amount of anguish such a small series of events has caused me was certainly not worth it, and I hate that anyone has had to read through even the first sentence of the current page. One of the biggest rules of the guild has always been "no drama," so again, I apologize for and regret my involvement in its entirety.

Clearos

I took a small break from GW2 because my brother and friend stopped playing. I tried both Blade & Soul and Black Desert and I find myself coming right back to GW2.

Ready for pvp season 2, hoping to work on my schedule so I can join the "newbie raids" I'm on midnight to 2am EST but ill try to get on earlier.

Retro

I'm very sorry to have brought any of this up. I've said my piece and intend to be done with it. The amount of anguish such a small series of events has caused me was certainly not worth it, and I hate that anyone has had to read through even the first sentence of the current page. One of the biggest rules of the guild has always been "no drama," so again, I apologize for and regret my involvement in its entirety.

Since the game lets you join multiple guilds, my advice is to find a "real" raiding guild; doing so will give you the kind of experiences you want right now and can reflect upon later. Honestly though, you might need to try a different MMO because GW2's community isn't there yet (and hopefully never will be) and most players are going through the same process you are at the moment. An established raiding MMO will show you what you're missing, in every possible sense. Either way, it's something you have to do yourself.

I'm on Steam if you want to dig into it, but I can guarantee nothing I or anyone else can say will help. I think in the short term it would actually do you more harm than good to have a focus for what you're feeling (not that it isn't obvious you have one already), but as a friend I can't help but offer even though I know it's futile. Your post feels like you're saying goodbye, but I hope it isn't permanent. If that's how things end up going though, good luck. Seriously.

I love how all the people who are reacting to Vaulderie have barely even played the game this year.

"The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails."

Some of us have weathered these winds before and know which way it is blowing.

Quenk

Since the game lets you join multiple guilds, my advice is to find a "real" raiding guild; doing so will give you the kind of experiences you want right now and can reflect upon later.

There's already a guild group that raids seriously and worked to get The Eternal. Ike's doing these additional runs to help this guild and the people in it that want to experience the raid and learn things. Suggesting that he join a raiding guild kind of comes across kind of bad to me. Like would you want him to not help out with teaching runs? Would you want all the serious raiders to do the same? The run yesterday wouldn't have nearly enough people if they didn't help out.

And I don't feel like Ike is wanting people to know the raid inside and out. If anyone asked about mechanics during the run, Ike, Lev, etc would explain things. Hawkian was taking extra damage during the split phase and people explained how the auras work and stuff.

spiritfox

Since the game lets you join multiple guilds, my advice is to find a "real" raiding guild; doing so will give you the kind of experiences you want right now and can reflect upon later. Honestly though, you might need to try a different MMO because GW2's community isn't there yet (and hopefully never will be) and most players are going through the same process you are at the moment. An established raiding MMO will show you what you're missing, in every possible sense. Either way, it's something you have to do yourself.

I'm on Steam if you want to dig into it, but I can guarantee nothing I or anyone else can say will help. I think in the short term it would actually do you more harm than good to have a focus for what you're feeling (not that it isn't obvious you have one already), but as a friend I can't help but offer even though I know it's futile. Your post feels like you're saying goodbye, but I hope it isn't permanent. If that's how things end up going though, good luck. Seriously.

And there are people in the guild that want to raid. Honestly, you're being a wet blanket about all this. No one is forcing you to raid, and there wasn't an issue until you raised it. I don't want to say anything but it's getting a bit too much.

Taffer

With language like "this isn't negotiable" and "I strongly urge" you're venturing into the territory of "it has to be this way, no other" regardless of the fact that there are many builds people can "slot into".

Don't confuse roles with builds, Ike listed the roles required to beat VG. Baiting the sparks at Simin is non-negotiable, pulling the Dredge suit/Ice ele under the lava buckets is non-negotiable. VG is occasionally immune to all but condition damage or has a boon that must be stripped before it can be damaged, if you've no condition output or boon stripping there is literally nothing you can do - it's not a matter of being optimal it's a basic requirement of the encounter.

Morokh

Ike, your post definitely came a bit weird, but it's definitely solid advice for anyone wanting to get into it prepared.

As one of the two 'newbies' of this little raid session (in GW2, not my first rodeo otherwise), it was fun, and I'm ready to go again if we can do it again around the same time since it's a more or less EU friendly time

I'll have to look into a condi-set just to be able to provide a bit more flexibility in case we're a little short on options like this time.

The only thing I did not prepare or look-into was the in-depth mechanics of the fight itself cause I still wanted a little bit of discovery since that seemed to be the original idea when Hawk pitched it, and I definitely did not expect to down the boss, but came as prepared as possible otherwise anyway.
I must say the 3 trash mobs at the beginning and what little I saw on streams when raids came out were enough to fill the gaps for most things.

I could be wrong but I don't think i did too bad when it comes to the mechanics of the fight, on the other hand, when it came to managing my skills, the fight completely threw me off even with a Raid build close to what I'm used to play so there's definitely some more practice to be had on this front xD

As one of the two 'newbies' of this little raid session (in GW2, not my first rodeo otherwise), it was fun, and I'm ready to go again if we can do it again around the same time since it's a more or less EU friendly time.

I apologize to you then because I was under the impression everyone who came had tried the raid before and already knew all of the mechanics. Had I known we had new players, I would have done much more to explain what was going on and what to do.

Wanderer5

The friend I brought in, who was the other first timer, had a blast too.

Went to modify my Herald build to be more similar to the DPS/Support on metabattle, but I thinking of tweaking my PS warrior, even through I don't have Berserker fully unlocked, cause I want to work on something else that isn't my Herald heh. Could work on my engi too.

Morokh

I apologize to you then because I was under the impression everyone who came had tried the raid before and already knew all of the mechanics. Had I known we had new players, I would have done much more to explain what was going on and what to do.

Don't worry, as I said most of the mechanics almost instantly felt familiar from what I saw about it, I would have said something otherwise.

But I'll admit, that first 8-man try had me a little surprised especially with how well it went considering I thought most people in the squad were like me at that point :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As one of the two 'newbies' of this little raid session (in GW2, not my first rodeo otherwise), it was fun, and I'm ready to go again if we can do it again around the same time since it's a more or less EU friendly time

I'll have to look into a condi-set just to be able to provide a bit more flexibility in case we're a little short on options like this time.
The friend I brought in, who was the other first timer, had a blast too.

Went to modify my Herald build to be more similar to the DPS/Support on metabattle, but I thinking of tweaking my PS warrior, even through I don't have Berserker fully unlocked, cause I want to work on something else that isn't my Herald heh. Could work on my engi too.
I'm really glad both of the (other) newbies involved enjoyed themselves too! I am going to refine my condi build a bit as welll since I do want the flexibility to end up in that role feeling more confident with it. I also should've considered my mesmer for it but I was also still learning certain mechanical quirks and the timing on the my thief and enjoying that. And I agree the lead-in to the fight does a pretty fair job teaching the mechanics on its own.

I definitely think this all got blown out of proportion quite a bit, and I should call attention to something I mentioned earlier in passing which is that if anyone wants to research, fine-tune and prepare to any degree small or large in advance of a newbie raid they should completely do so, it's just not something I will expect from attendees. Specifically I just want to leave the door totally open to people who don't have the remotest clue what they're doing, because for better or worse that's how I personally prefer to experience things for the first time XD

leng jai

I don't get this. Vaulderie raids all the time with the guild and doesn't seem to have any issues at all. From what I've seen we've got a pretty solid ground of 6-8 people who raid all the time and know what they're doing, that's more than enough. Half the time he's just looking to help other people who are interested but find it a little daunting get into "raiding". At this point you're just making something out of nothing.

Ike, I just wanted to say thanks for doing raids and bringing on guildies unfamiliar to the content. I rarely have the opportunity these days to raid and always appreciate being able to do it with people I know generally won't be asshats.

You've brought a lot to this guild that I don't think anyone else could or would. Whatever you choose going forward, I wish you the best.

Mxrz

re: Joining a raiding guild thing

This is basically where I am at. My friends and most of the people I play with are unlikely to ever dump the amount of time and resources into getting up to speed so they can jump through the correct gameplay gimmicks mechanics. But the choice of whether to ditch them for this content and do it with a 'raid guild' is one that leaves me wondering what is the point then? A raid guild / pug / strangers reduces it to a single player experience. I can get those in about any game. So killing the bosses themselves seems pointless. But bitching my friends out (even more) to get their shit together makes me feel like an asshole. Its all one big headache I never asked for. In fact, not having this stuff is what drew me towards ANet way back.

Anyhow. Ten years ago I had to sit around waiting for another monk to log on to do some gvg. Now I'm right back in the same f'ing boat. Pretty unhappy about that.

tiijj

re: Joining a raiding guild thing

This is basically where I am at. My friends and most of the people I play with are unlikely to ever dump the amount of time and resources into getting up to speed so they can jump through the correct gameplay gimmicks mechanics. But the choice of whether to ditch them for this content and do it with a 'raid guild' is one that leaves me wondering what is the point then? A raid guild / pug / strangers reduces it to a single player experience. I can get those in about any game. So killing the bosses themselves seems pointless. But bitching my friends out (even more) to get their shit together makes me feel like an asshole. Its all one big headache I never asked for. In fact, not having this stuff is what drew me towards ANet way back.

Anyhow. Ten years ago I had to sit around waiting for another monk to log on to do some gvg. Now I'm right back in the same f'ing boat. Pretty unhappy about that.

You can always not do it or do it with "a raid guild/pug/strangers", it's not really a "single player" as you say, I mean they might not be your friends but those are other people too you know. It might not be as intimate as a close friend but you might actually find some new ones (friends) unintentionally.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing about the whole thing is that there are two types; people who enjoys beating the raid because it's fun to do a challenge and getting rewarded for it and people who enjoys playing whether they can finish it or not. Both of them are right and neither one is 'more right' than the other. The problem might be communication, one expects certain things while the other expects another. You got two different perspective clashed and the whole 3-5 pages of disagreement starts.

I would also like to add that there are newbies and raid newbies. The regular newbies are just new players who just started or something along the line. Then there are raid newbies, you can classify this as the one from above but both want to play the raid.

Also, remember that raid is raid. You can treat it as another game mode like PVP and WVW. Just like the other game mode there are people who like it and there are people who wants it and there are people who don't care about it and there are people who hate it. People have been asking for a more "challenging content" for quite a while and this is anet's answer. The mechanics in the raid is better than increasing the boss's HP by like 10 fold or adding some annoying things like fear and knockback or something like that.

Anet wants to accommodate everyone as much as possible. If the whole raiding thing is not for you there are always the next pvp tournament, the *promised* revamp of wvw, new fractal dungeon (let's just pretend that this is the replacement for dungeons), or the upcoming living story 3.

Mxrz

Oh I'd happily ignore it entirely at this point, but for now legendary armor appears gated behind it. Being able to stat change armor is too far reaching a mechanic to ignore. Thus rage, illwill and all that.

Things changed. If enough people aren't thrilled, things will change again. We've seen it happen enough.

Hedge

I really hope legendary armor will make an appearance outside of raids someday, because stat-switching armor is just too handy. I'd just prefer doing collections that don't involve 9 other people and having to dedicate hours in one setting without disconnects.

Clearos

Is there any class that could be beneficial to raid with but GAF is currently lacking? I have more hours then I care to admit in gw2 and sitting on 200 tomes of knowledge. I have alts but would like to focus on a main to get ascended gear and help out the group when possible.

*I enjoy the game and all classes are enjoyable to me in some shape or form. minus mesmer, I could never do well with one in PvP.

But the choice of whether to ditch them for this content and do it with a 'raid guild' is one that leaves me wondering what is the point then? A raid guild / pug / strangers reduces it to a single player experience. I can get those in about any game. So killing the bosses themselves seems pointless. But bitching my friends out (even more) to get their shit together makes me feel like an asshole. Its all one big headache I never asked for. In fact, not having this stuff is what drew me towards ANet way back.

Why is making new friends not an option? Why is bitching out your current friends a prerequisite? I don't see why it has to be absolutely one way or the other. If your current friends don't want to "get their shit together" and adapt then raids probably aren't for them anyways, and they'd probably enjoy doing something else together that is more suited for the way they want to play the game.

I feel lucky to have found 9+ other people who want to come together for hours every week and fail over and over until we finally get it. I feel lucky that every one of them ask "what can I do better?" rather than "why do I have to change?" I want to say thanks to my new friends and old friends that stuck with me through raiding. Raids could've sucked like they clearly do for a lot of people here but they don't suck when I'm with you.

Pro

How the heck to you heal as a Warrior? Been working on my Warrior in PVE and finished up the Berserker specialization. Have pretty good gear but man am I confused on healing. It seems like you have your primary healing skill and that's just about it. I've been dabbing in the trait to heal yourself if you take a killing blow while in Berserker mode but that doesn't help much. All in all, I want to be built Berserker like most classes in the game, and have high Offensive output but when you have to bail on a fight because your heal skill is recharging you're not doing much.

I'm coming from my main character as an Ele and the Ele has multiple ways to stay healed even in full zerker with no healing added. Idk, I've played quite a bit with Ele, Warrior, Rev, and Mesmer and Ele just seems to be the greatest class in all aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom