• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny, all the people whining about expansion got their wish and now everybody now suffers.

Sometimes giving the people what they want isn't the best course of action sometimes.

Morokh

Its funny, all the people whining about expansion got their wish and now everybody now suffers.

Sometimes giving the people what they want isn't the best course of action sometimes.

It has surely nothing to do with them shipping half of an expansion in the first place with some major things not being implemented, or still not working as intended 4 months-in with no real ETA on when they will ...

It has surely nothing to do with them shipping half of an expansion in the first place with some major things not being implemented, or still not working as intended 4 months-in with no real ETA on when they will ...

Or a clearly rushed story that completely fails to make the dragon a real presence, absolutely zero new five-man content (besides maybe migraine), completely botching WvW, and only adding one game mode with one map to PVP.

I doubt fans asked for any of that. I can't say that I know that much about game development, but I see the expansion as more of a display of incompetence or lack of foresight than a concession to some group of fans that may or may not have asked before for some things in it. It's a problem that's existed as far as I know from since I started playing the game.

Was your comment, meant to contradict my points? Everything you said is simply an extension if my point.

Tech-Wolf

Deal are only here for a day +3 hours (aka 27 hours)

Day 1 : Basic home node (Basic ore node, Basic Lumber node, Basic Harvesting node, Basic Cloth rack) 20% off
Day 2 : Mad scientist (all 3 kind) tools 20% off
Day 3 : Scarlet's Spaulder and Scarlet's Grasp 20% off for 320 gems each
Day 4 : Magnus's eye patch 20 % off for 320 gems, Glowing green mask/Glowing Crimson mask/ Glint gaze mask 20 % off for 400 gems.
Day 5 : Instant Repair Canister 40% off 1 for 21 gems, 5 for 90 gems

Day 6 : Monk's Outfit 20% off for 560 gems

Morokh

Was your comment, meant to contradict my points? Everything you said is simply an extension if my point.

I may have misinterpreted your post but it came to me as one of those 'People don't know what they want anyway' post, and while you'll always get a bit of that whenever something changes in games the big issue here is that they failed to make a proper working version of what people want, or, the other way around, say, for WwW they enforced something the community clearly said they did not want.(as much as I personally fail to understand why)

There's a part of the community that wanted Raids for Instance, and for the most part (save for the delay between wing 1 and 2) they are happy about it, people that have never touched that kind of content seem very curious and eager to try it, and it's only the people who were against the idea of having Raids in the game in the first place that seem to complain about them.

Or a clearly rushed story that completely fails to make the dragon a real presence, absolutely zero new five-man content (besides maybe migraine), completely botching WvW, and only adding one game mode with one map to PVP.

Personally HoT's story despite it's flaws was the first time they really got me involved into it, and I was really looking forward to what was coming next because there is soooo much unresolved stuff,..... now that it seems we'll have to wait something like a year to see what's next ... I'm more like 'yeah .. whatever' ...
It definitely looks like season 3 will be more spread out and end-up again with 'hey here's expansion 2' !

They clearly missed the mark for the buildup of the final battle, but as far as making the dragon a presence, well it seems that it was what they tried to do in Season 2.

5il3nc3r

Browsing through the dev’s comments it seems they’ll be focusing on fixing and cleaning up HoT for the next few months. For those of you who have finished HoT, do you think the main issues people were having with the expansion can be improved on or is fixable by the devs? Wishful thinking but I am hoping I made the right decision in holding of purchasing HoT and will get a much better experience during my first play through.

Proven

It's going to be likely August / September until the next LW chapter.

Been a great 1283 days, but it's time for me to officially bow out and retire from the game. Been a great run with y'all.

G9zCFxi.jpg

Sayonara, man.

Guild Wars 2 was already becoming a low priority for me. It seems like I can't have it be anything but that. I'll still enjoy Helseth streams though.

The PvP matchmaking is god awful this season. They changed it so people of a similar skill should float around the same divisions but they didn't make it so people who should be higher can get there faster.

Even if you win 20 games in a row you still only get 2 pips per win. That seriously needs to change, it's not fun for the people stomping or the people getting stomped. I just want to play an even match. :(

The Expansion wasn't worth the money, GW2 kept me busy for well over a year, i was bored of HoT in 6 weeks, even trying my best not to enter all the maps forcing myself to stay on VB, i played VB so much i had over 7000 airship parts, but once i moved to other maps and saw everything, the game got boring, 4 maps for a PvE only player is nothing, plus they repeat every 2 hours, also the grind was an indicator of shallow content, they made a bad expansion and expect us to smile and say everything will be ok.

The heat they have gotten since release of HoT is deserved, GW2 is a great experience one the best MMO experience out there, but HoT is hot trash..

Tech-Wolf

Deal are only here for a day +3 hours (aka 27 hours)

Day 1 : Basic home node (Basic ore node, Basic Lumber node, Basic Harvesting node, Basic Cloth rack) 20% off
Day 2 : Mad scientist (all 3 kind) tools 20% off
Day 3 : Scarlet's Spaulder and Scarlet's Grasp 20% off for 320 gems each
Day 4 : Magnus's eye patch 20 % off for 320 gems, Glowing green mask/Glowing Crimson mask/ Glint gaze mask 20 % off for 400 gems.
Day 5 : Instant Repair Canister 40% off 1 for 21 gems, 5 for 90 gems
Day 6 : Monk's Outfit 20% off for 560 gems

Day 7 : Copper-Fed- Salvage-O-Matic 20% off for 640 gems

Honestly, do yourself a favor and get one if you never did before.
with an account bag slot is even better

It's going to be likely August / September until the next LW chapter.

Been a great 1283 days, but it's time for me to officially bow out and retire from the game. Been a great run with y'all.

G9zCFxi.jpg

I felt the same way; I uninstalled the game a month ago and haven’t looked back. I had been playing since launch with over 6k hours and I finally decided to quit. There were a number of reasons for it. First, HoT killed my interest in the game. It was literally nothing but grinding to grind some more. The balance aspect was horrible when it came to pvp. Pvp was where I spent most of my time (10k games); the balance and bad implementation of leagues really disappointed me. However, them not caring about WvW, really frustrated me. In my view, WvW was the best mode in GW2 and the support they gave it was laughable. However, the final nail in the coffin was my guild. Everyone just kind of quit or stopped playing that much. Sure, I could have joined another guild, but it’s not the same. These people I knew since launch and they became my close friends, so without them it really wasn’t the same. The first couple of years of GW2 were amazing; it’s some of my favorite in gaming. However, once they started to put all their focus on HoT and it was released, it kind of went downhill for me. I’ll stop being a buzzkill here, just wanted to share my thoughts on one of my most favorite games. I mean I played the game for over three years, nothing last forever, but I enjoyed it.

I get why HoT could have killed the interest of people that played other modes like PvP but am confused on how it's done so for anyone in here that exclusively plays PvE. Everything you were doing before you can still do now as if the expansion didn't come out with the benefit of elite specializations, and a new class to choose from and the ability to glide which is awesome for explorers. You don't like HoT? Just stay out of the jungle! Dungeons were getting nerfed because they wanted Fractals to be the focus, not because of HoT and also because they don't have a dedicated dungeon team. You can say they could have had the guys working on the Raid do dungeons but I don't get the impression they would have even if Raids weren't a thing. The rate that they update fractals at is a very valid complaint and I can understand people that don't enjoy HoT being bummed that it paused Living Story but Living Story is coming back and you can do everything you could do before HoT so I just don't get how the game suddenly became boring or is dead to some of you because of the expansion. You don't need Jungle masteries in Central Tyria so no need to deal with that grind...really don't get the issue.

Note: I'm not talking about why HoT disappointed anyone, just wondering how it killed any PvE player's desire to play the game when they were fine with what we had prior to HoT.

Day 7 : Copper-Fed- Salvage-O-Matic 20% off for 640 gems

Honestly, do yourself a favor and get one if you never did before.
with an account bag slot is even better

I never saw the value in it. I think the wiki says you'd have to salvage some 3 million items before you benefited and I get more green than blue anyway which I use Journeyman for. Since you can just warp to the mists and right back to where you entered it from, can easily acquire a salvage kit at anytime without losing your spot.

Spyware

Note: I'm not talking about why HoT disappointed anyone, just wondering how it killed any PvE player's desire to play the game when they were fine with what we had prior to HoT.
The disappointment of looking forward to new zones to explore in the same way as the old one and not getting anything even close to that for me mostly. The HoT zones just sucks for my playstyle. Sure, I could play the old world like I've done for 4k hours already but I can't get the new items/gear/whatevs and I feel like I'm missing out. I also can't max out elite specs without going to HoT maps which sucks a lot. Oh and I wanna glide in central Tyria but then I have to grind jungle stuff. Ugh.

A lack of anything new to do for the casual instanced PvE player and a change of mindset in the game in general. For the open world players there's not as much world building and sense of wonder in the new maps as there was in the old maps. I liked feeling like I was a small person in a big world waiting to be explored, and while there is some of that in the new HoT maps it's not quite the same.

If you want anything in the new content (stats, skins) you have to do specific things over and over to get it. I liked that you could do whatever you wanted for money before and buy most anything.

I still play the game almost every day and I have fun but I can completely see where all the disappointment is coming from. I'm not sure I'd still be around if I didn't have close friends to play with.

The disappointment of looking forward to new zones to explore in the same way as the old one and not getting anything even close to that for me mostly. The HoT zones just sucks for my playstyle. Sure, I could play the old world like I've done for 4k hours already but I can't get the new items/gear/whatevs and I feel like I'm missing out. I also can't max out elite specs without going to HoT maps which sucks a lot. Oh and I wanna glide in central Tyria but then I have to grind jungle stuff. Ugh.
I was speaking to those that were having fun right up to HoT and then all the sudden the game held nothing for them. I want to say you got bored or at least burnt out prior to it and it just didn't do anything to make you want to come back. I can understand your frustrations, I just don't get how people that were having fun all the way up to release all the sudden didn't because of the expansion when you can simply pretend it doesn't exist and mess around Central Tyria just the same.
A lack of anything new to do for the casual instanced PvE player and a change of mindset in the game in general. For the open world players there's not as much world building and sense of wonder in the new maps as there was in the old maps. I liked feeling like I was a small person in a big world waiting to be explored, and while there is some of that in the new HoT maps it's not quite the same.

If you want anything in the new content (stats, skins) you have to do specific things over and over to get it. I liked that you could do whatever you wanted for money before and buy most anything.

I still play the game almost every day and I have fun but I can completely see where all the disappointment is coming from. I'm not sure I'd still be around if I didn't have close friends to play with.
As I just further touched on, I don't mean to ask why people are disappointed with the expansion, that much I know. There were a number of regulars in here that had fun with PvE in Central Tyria and then when HoT hit, the game was no longer for them and they don't feel compelled to log in. My question is more why those people can't do whatever it was they were enjoying in Central Tyria anymore? Pretend the jungle doesn't exist.

Spyware

I was speaking to those that were having fun right up to HoT and then all the sudden the game held nothing for them. I want to say you got bored or at least burnt out prior to it and it just didn't do anything to make you want to come back. I can understand your frustrations, I just don't get how people that were having fun all the way up to release all the sudden didn't because of the expansion when you can simply pretend it doesn't exist and mess around Central Tyria just the same.
And I answered as one of those people you're speaking to. I'm pretty much the biggest fan of pre-HoT Anet and "vanilla" GW2. I loved the game right up to the beta of HoT. The game was on the very top of my fav list, I was thinking no game would ever come close and nothing could make me stop playing. No burnout noticed and I was definitely not bored.

I can't pretend it doesn't exist. There's traces of it everywhere. People with new armor, new weapons, gliding past me. There's the UI telling me I have stuff to do in HoT. There's the guild saying this and that. I know I'm missing out on stuff I'd like to get just because they completely changed how zones work. I have always disliked long event chains/group content that is not guild missions or guild dungeons and HoT is just... that. That and nothing else.

It just killed my momentum. My drive. My will to play. I feel so strongly about HoT that it spills out over everything else. I even started hating the seasonal events because something in the back of my mind is saying "what's the point?"

I've started playing a bit again tho. I wanna give them a chance with the April patch and I really miss playing GW2.

leng jai

I never saw the value in it. I think the wiki says you'd have to salvage some 3 million items before you benefited and I get more green than blue anyway which I use Journeyman for. Since you can just warp to the mists and right back to where you entered it from, can easily acquire a salvage kit at anytime without losing your spot.

It's easily worth it simply for convenience. Going into the mists and back while free is annoying especially when salvage kits on come in stacks of 25. If it was 250 like say the Mystic Kit then that would be a different story. If you have one of these and a shared inventory slot if means you never have to buy another salvage kit again.

And I answered as one of those people you're speaking to. I'm pretty much the biggest fan of pre-HoT Anet and "vanilla" GW2. I loved the game right up to the beta of HoT. The game was on the very top of my fav list, I was thinking no game would ever come close and nothing could make me stop playing. No burnout noticed and I was definitely not bored.

I can't pretend it doesn't exist. There's traces of it everywhere. People with new armor, new weapons, gliding past me. There's the UI telling me I have stuff to do in HoT. There's the guild saying this and that. I know I'm missing out on stuff I'd like to get just because they completely changed how zones work. I have always disliked long event chains/group content that is not guild missions or guild dungeons and HoT is just... that. That and nothing else.

It just killed my momentum. My drive. My will to play. I feel so strongly about HoT that it spills out over everything else. I even started hating the seasonal events because something in the back of my mind is saying "what's the point?"

I've started playing a bit again tho. I wanna give them a chance with the April patch and I really miss playing GW2.
My bad, thought I remembered you burning out before HoT and if you're one of those people that have to have all the things, I can understand it impacting you that way.
It's easily worth it simply for convenience. Going into the mists and back while free is annoying especially when salvage kits on come in stacks of 25. If it was 250 like say the Mystic Kit then that would be a different story. If you have one of these and a shared inventory slot if means you never have to buy another salvage kit again.
I always keep two stacks of basic and journeyman on my toons so it's not an issue for me. If I'm running around zones it's easy to run into a merchant and the only thing I do that uses them up quickly without me traveling around is Teq but if you had a shared inventory slot, it'd make a ton of sense. It'd be sweet to have a shared inventory space for each infinite item but not at their price!

As I just further touched on, I don't mean to ask why people are disappointed with the expansion, that much I know. There were a number of regulars in here that had fun with PvE in Central Tyria and then when HoT hit, the game was no longer for them and they don't feel compelled to log in. My question is more why those people can't do whatever it was they were enjoying in Central Tyria anymore? Pretend the jungle doesn't exist.

I mean... you can only do the same thing for so long... having nothing new for 10 months because you're expecting an expansion and then seeing that nothing in the expansion was made for you is disheartening.

I mostly just want an updated Queen's Gauntlet and Boss Blitz to come back.

The droughts of content wouldn't be the worst thing ever if there were more temporary events/holidays we could count on happening every year at the same times.

Proven

The PvP matchmaking is god awful this season. They changed it so people of a similar skill should float around the same divisions but they didn't make it so people who should be higher can get there faster.

Even if you win 20 games in a row you still only get 2 pips per win. That seriously needs to change, it's not fun for the people stomping or the people getting stomped. I just want to play an even match. :(

Uhh... They added win streaks specifically so that people can rise to higher levels faster if their MMR is high with the new matchmaking. They also made Amber and Emerald take less pips to climb out of. Winning 20 games in a row should gets you 38 pips which is enough to clear a single division alone (the longest division is Diamond with 35 pips needed to clear it) and is even enough to clear Amber+Emerald. Within the first days of the league there were already people in Diamond with much less trouble getting there, so I'd say it was a success in that one sense..

What I see as the issue is that even if the people who need to get out of a division can get out in a day or two, the matchmaking system doesn't help for variance in a single division. It will always find ten players in a division, whether you're at the highest or lowest tier (I don't know the actual variance range), and will always group the five best players of those ten together. And there can be a significant variance of skill in a division, while every player there still belongs in that division. Combine that with the fact that they removed some incentive for attempting comebacks... Unless everyone in the match is in the same exact tier and happen to have near identical MMRs tested after hundreds of games (and even then) it's just going to be the reality that you'll likely have a stomping or be stomped.

Like, literally, the matchmaking is designed to emphasize the skill variance in every match, which means every match is likely to be a stomp in one direction or the other. It's the direct opposite of last season's matchmaking, which emphasized fair matches as often as possible. This also means that both win streaks and lose streaks are more likely. It feels like Call of Duty. The only way to survive it mentally is to play it while taking every match a lot less seriously; about as seriously as you'd take an individual Call of Duty match. And if you don't play Call of Duty, like me, that means not so serious.

Uhh... They added win streaks specifically so that people can rise to higher levels faster if their MMR is high with the new matchmaking. They also made Amber and Emerald take less pips to climb out of. Winning 20 games in a row should gets you 38 pips which is enough to clear a single division alone (the longest division is Diamond with 35 pips needed to clear it) and is even enough to clear Amber+Emerald. Within the first days of the league there were already people in Diamond with much less trouble getting there, so I'd say it was a success in that one sense..

What I see as the issue is that even if the people who need to get out of a division can get out in a day or two, the matchmaking system doesn't help for variance in a single division. It will always find ten players in a division, whether you're at the highest or lowest tier (I don't know the actual variance range), and will always group the five best players of those ten together. And there can be a significant variance of skill in a division, while every player there still belongs in that division. Combine that with the fact that they removed some incentive for attempting comebacks... Unless everyone in the match is in the same exact tier and happen to have near identical MMRs tested after hundreds of games (and even then) it's just going to be the reality that you'll likely have a stomping or be stomped.

Like, literally, the matchmaking is designed to emphasize the skill variance in every match, which means every match is likely to be a stomp in one direction or the other. It's the direct opposite of last season's matchmaking, which emphasized fair matches as often as possible. This also means that both win streaks and lose streaks are more likely. It feels like Call of Duty. The only way to survive it mentally is to play it while taking every match a lot less seriously; about as seriously as you'd take an individual Call of Duty match. And if you don't play Call of Duty, like me, that means not so serious.

Amber is 5x3 instead of 3x5 this season, it's not shorter.

I barely made it to Ruby last season. I got in on the last Saturday after grinding a bunch of games out to get through the last tier. I really had to fight to get through Sapphire because I am terrible and only play the mode casually because it is fun, but this season I got to Ruby with very little resistance in a few days. I'm not some PvP god, I'm entirely average. IDK man.

There were 2 or 3 people that I kept getting matched up with on Saturday and they were saying the same thing, they got to Sapphire 4 or 5 without losing any matches at all.

I spent a few years playing League of Legends, and they used to shoot you up to gold or better if you performed sufficiently well in your first 10 matches. I wish they had the same thing here.

Maybe it's all just anecdotal but from my perspective the matchmaking/ranked progression stinks.

Quenk

I spent a few years playing League of Legends, and they used to shoot you up to gold or better if you performed sufficiently well in your first 10 matches. I wish they had the same thing here.

LoL and SC2 are a bit more involved since they use placement matches. GW2's system reminds me of something like iCCup where you start at the bottom and work your way up. I don't really know how GW2 handles MMR. To do a placement match system I think they would need to have some sense of soft-resetting MMR at the start of a season and keeping track of player's last season. I have no clue how it would be done in season 1.

It also doesn't help that they tied some achievements to crossing league divisions. If you are placed into a higher division at the start would they just award you the division crossings that you would have done to get there as well as the tier and division crossing rewards?

LoL and SC2 are a bit more involved since they use placement matches. GW2's system reminds me of something like iCCup where you start at the bottom and work your way up. I don't really know how GW2 handles MMR. To do a placement match system I think they would need to have some sense of soft-resetting MMR at the start of a season and keeping track of player's last season. I have no clue how it would be done in season 1.

It also doesn't help that they tied some achievements to crossing league divisions. If you are placed into a higher division at the start would they just award you the division crossings that you would have done to get there as well as the tier and division crossing rewards?

That's true. Maybe if for every 3 wins you got an extra pip per win until you break the streak, or some similar compounding win streak reward... you could still climb faster the more you do well but still need to pass through everything. IDK.

I do like the extra pip that you get for breaking a loss streak though, that was a nice thing for them to add.

I mean... you can only do the same thing for so long... having nothing new for 10 months because you're expecting an expansion and then seeing that nothing in the expansion was made for you is disheartening.

Ok, if you were pretty burned out but hanging around because HoT was going to hit and then were disappointed by HoT, THAT makes perfect sense to me. I'm quite familiar with feeling there's nothing left to do even though you'd like to have an excuse to be in Tyria. I had to take a lengthy break myself at one point.

For you gents, all I can say is that I hope LS season 3 is what you're looking for and sorry it's not coming sooner. We have another individual leading the dev team now, we'll see how they handle content going forward. I'd like to believe a lot would have been learned from releasing the first expansion pack for this game, valuable experience and the fact that the expansion was met with a somewhat lukewarm response should tell them that they need to make changes to the formula for the next one. Only time will tell.

Wanderer5

"Cooldowns now automatically reset for players when they revive after their squad is defeated in an encounter."

That be nice at certain times heh.

Taffer

Fudge yeah gliding off the airship and I've been wanting a cooldown-resetting thing since dungeons. Put that in every instance!

Not sure if anyone cares about raid spoilers but I'll spoiler tag it just in case.

ju75npO.png

oh my god

Also one of the new raid skins is kinda cute and I want it.

CpiP83A.png

It's a hammer!

Wanderer5

^Er wow.XD

Also lol guess with some players at least, the max for Raid group is 5 players or something. Finally some new 5 man content!

Quenk

You can only get the kill rewards once a week, and the ascended drops are random (on average, ~2 people in a raid group seem to get an ascended each kill, but it's not uncommon to see no one get an ascended anything either.)

Adding on to this, I think that the boxes that drop will still be for the slot that the boss used to drop. Only boots from VG, chestpiece from Sab, etc

You can only get the kill rewards once a week, and the ascended drops are random (on average, ~2 people in a raid group seem to get an ascended each kill, but it's not uncommon to see no one get an ascended anything either.)

Isn't that what the change is now though? That everyone gets a chest for sure now? I'd rather take 6 weeks of resets to get a set than waste resources crafting it. Especially for alts. As for Quenk's post, that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore either as it says you get to pick both the armor type and stats from the chest.

Quenk

Isn't that what the change is now though? That everyone gets a chest for sure now? I'd rather take 6 weeks of resets to get a set than waste resources crafting it. Especially for alts. As for Quenk's post, that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore either as it says you get to pick both the armor type and stats from the chest.

Previously you'd get something like "Healer's Guardian Greaves" which are heavy armor boots that only let you choose stats that have Healing Power. Picking the armor type sounds to me like picking the armor weight so you'd get something like "Box of Guardian Boots" which lets you pick any stat/weight combo.

Edit: Everyone getting an ascended armor piece per boss kill sounds a bit excessive to me. Ascended gear is purchasable with magnetite shards so you'll be able to get a set guaranteed that way.

Previously you'd get something like "Healer's Guardian Greaves" which are heavy armor boots that only let you choose stats that have Healing Power. Picking the armor type sounds to me like picking the armor weight so you'd get something like "Box of Guardian Boots" which lets you pick any stat/weight combo.

Edit: Everyone getting an ascended armor piece per boss kill sounds a bit excessive to me. Ascended gear is purchasable with magnetite shards so you'll be able to get a set guaranteed that way.

Shhh don't be so pessimistic! Let me believe! I'll let you Raid veterans test it out and then report you findings :)

Proven

I'm sad to see the Oasis event go, but it had to go.

Amber is 5x3 instead of 3x5 this season, it's not shorter.

I barely made it to Ruby last season. I got in on the last Saturday after grinding a bunch of games out to get through the last tier. I really had to fight to get through Sapphire because I am terrible and only play the mode casually because it is fun, but this season I got to Ruby with very little resistance in a few days. I'm not some PvP god, I'm entirely average. IDK man.

There were 2 or 3 people that I kept getting matched up with on Saturday and they were saying the same thing, they got to Sapphire 4 or 5 without losing any matches at all.

Maybe it's all just anecdotal but from my perspective the matchmaking/ranked progression stinks.

It was said later on (and I'm too lazy to link a bunch of quotes), but what you essentially want is placement matches. That's how any other game gets you into a league right away, skipping the grind. What you described in League is essentially just placement matches without calling them that. Especially since League doesn't have the enforced grind that GW2 has for its league with rewards attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom