• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it feels really dishonest. I was looking forward to new legendary weapons. :< I'm making the axe just cause it's new and pretty, I have never played any profession that uses an axe. I have no idea why making legendary weapons is so difficult and time consuming, but I am also not a game designer? All the legendary collections use events that are already in the game... you just need ideas to plug in to a collection system that they've already implemented, what's the hold up? I don't get it. It looks really bad to me as someone who plays this game and doesn't really know a lot about their internal processes.

Also today we killed banditos. It only took us like an hour to learn.

vvymcjx.jpg

I mostly just wanted to post this because Tech's elementalist makes me laugh

spiritfox

I don't think it's the skins that are trouble, it's the collection. We already saw how the original collections from HoT's launch had (and still has) so many issues, like being tied to failure states, rare enemies, and sometimes bugging out. The QA needed to make sure the collections work when they are released is perhaps too much for the team to make work. And maybe they want to relook at the collections, since the economy has changed quite a bit since it's implementation.

They could just release the legendaries, assuming they're already done, without the collection, and have the precursor drop RNG before the collection is done. Make it like the old ones and you've reached a better compromise. I have to imagine that the collections are what's holding them back.

Better than just dropping the concept like they've been notorious for, like so many other systems in the game.

Morokh

O'brien trying to counter the 'Half an expansion' arguments is at least entertaining.

Guy seems to have zero clues (or just doesn't want to acknowledge it for some reason) about why people are upset about the expansion, and why this only adds to the pile.

What a stupid decision. You release an expansion missing over half of its content, and then you delay one of the selling points even more? Its been like 5-6 months and we'll have a total of 4 legendaires? Pathetic. Maybe instead of working on the new expansion, finish the one you've already sold. Or hire more people.

Won't happen, they done took our money for this shit expansion, it's time to figured out how to sell the new shit expansion,

Grudy

I quit the game a bit after HoT released but this is very disheartening news. I was looking forward to seeing what they can come up with for the legendary dagger, sword and scepters.

Who the hell thought shortbow and axe should take priority over the more used weapons was a good idea? -.-

Hedge

I recall being so confident that GW2 would be "the MMO" for me at the beginning. The game really has been suffering from identity crisis and growing pains since the reveal and release of the expansion. I honestly would never have imagined at release, that GW2 would have raiding, (now) super expensive max-stat armor, insanely expensive guild halls and such. With Colin gone, I wonder if the direction of GW2 will change yet again.

Just please no more re-imaginings and innovative make-overs of any systems.

Who the hell thought shortbow and axe should take priority over the more used weapons was a good idea? -.-

Obviously one of the devs is a ranger main.

But.. Astralaria is so pretty! The solution is obviously to let me wield it on my guardian as a focus as well, please.

I look forward to more content coming, so I can log back in on my rev and see that amazing axe in motion. Don't think I ever actually went out and killed stuff with it. I pretty much crafted it, spent a few hours running around in main cities and then logged out because I was burnt out from the damn amalgamated gemstone grind.

I don't mind not having more grindass weapons to bother thinking about getting, I'd realm they just kept up putting out new content or refreshing old stuff. DE has been doing this on the regular with warframe, too bad Anet can't take cues there.

Grindass weapons were probably going to be one of the bigger things keeping the HoT maps populated in the long-term, so I wonder how many people like myself won't bother playing them at all anymore.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I made my way the hero point and vista at the Breached Wall in Diessa without cheating and looking it up online. I'm pretty much the best at the game.

I made my way the hero point and vista at the Breached Wall in Diessa without cheating and looking it up online. I'm pretty much the best at the game.

When the game first came out so many of us did that shit without a guide, i know it took me 45mins to complete from all the fucking jump failures lol..

who plays this game

I do, working on my 10th Legendary, since i left the guild i have made Dreamer, Howler is almost done just need 500 TA tokens...

Fuck Anet for the current state of dungeons, allow me to use the new map currency to purchase the gifts that you need to run dungeons for.. since you forced us to run Fractals all me to use Frac tokens to buy the gifts, if not return dungeon to it's previous glory...

In total, I've made Sunrise, Twilight, The Flameseeker Prophecies, Rodgort, The Predator, and Astralaria, and I'm probably working on The Juggernaut right now.

Doing stuff to craft Legendary Weapons has been where most of the game's remaining replay value has come from when I'm running around adventuring on my own, so it's a shame they didn't want to at least release a mace that's not fugly as hell.

So I've been playing GW1 lately and figure I might as well play 2 dead games instead of one!

I don't own the expansion, though. What's the cheapest way to get it? is going through cdkeys or whatever not going to work since I already have an account? I'm really disinclined to buy an expansion for 50$ when the game seems to be in a rather dire place judging by Wooden Potatoes' recent video and the GW2 subreddit.

Not huge but DLGamer (listed on GW2 retailer page) has it for 38 dollars.

Only ~5 more than what I see on CDKeys, which has it for 33 it seems. G2A seems to be about the same. Of course they say getting it from those sites might bite you in the long run but I don't know how likely that actually is.

but those keys will work? I can just add it to my account? If so I might just risk that.

Seems odd to me it can't be bought with gems, honestly.

I've only made the Juggernaut. I'll keep working on HOPE, and maybe by the time that's done the game will get its shit together. Or I'll find something else to play, whichever comes first.

Zeroth

I've been focusing mostly on PvP nowadays. Hit tier 4 Diamond so i'm planning to push to Legendary before the season ends.

Hedge

Awh, I only have Bolt and Astralaria. I'd love to make kraitkin, but I'd feel kind of bad spending all that on a weapon for a combat system Anet admitted is dead.

Edit: Huh, Sunrise was actually my first legendary, but I sold it and bought a permanent hairstyle kit. Best decision I ever made.

It's more that you get into a rhythm after the first and stop stressing the finer details.

And for me, crafting my first full sets of ascended armor and weapons competed for resources with my first legendary, so once those were out of the way, there wasn't really anywhere else to spend wealth other than legendary stuff.

This is spread out over hundreds/thousands of hours, so it's still not something for anyone to rush into.

It's more that you get into a rhythm after the first and stop stressing the finer details.

And for me, crafting my first full sets of ascended armor and weapons competed for resources with my first legendary, so once those were out of the way, there wasn't really anywhere else to spend wealth other than legendary stuff.

This is spread out over hundreds/thousands of hours, so it's still not something for anyone to rush into.

Yeah I figured I'd perhaps try after Ascended stuff since there's nothing left after that and I could create the ascended armor whenever I want but hesitated because I'm no longer sure if I want to create heavy or light. So I think I somewhat subconsciously decided to just stockpile silk until I have enough to make both ;p Fortunately the resources to make the ingots are only necessary for heavy so silk is the only big obstacle...actually, dark matter too but I'm assuming you need 30 for each set and I probably have around 50 or so in which case it wouldn't be bad to get the rest to make both heavy and light.

I figure if I can pretty much just blow all my gold buying up crap for Legendaries or at least one, as I won't need it for anything else after Ascended armor. Teq gives me all the weapons I need ;p

IvorB

Server only matters for World vs. World. You'll be able to play with people on any server in your region.
If you want to join the GAF guild you can also choose a US server, ping will be around 160 but it doesn't really matter for gameplay. Guilds are cross-region (you can join if you are on EU), but you're still restricted to playing with people in your region.

A word of warning.... The Mac build is highly unstable and while it should be able to handle "best performance" settings the Heart of Thorns release causing constant out of memory errors that really haven't been fixed. Bootcamp is currently the best way to play GW2 on Mac... (Which I don't do, I play on the Mac build on potato settings because I'm lazy.)

Like I said, the ping difference doesn't really matter. I'm in Germany and transferred to US for HoT and I barely notice a difference. There's an occasional hiccup, but it doesn't affect gameplay in any way. Also no issues in PvP.

Having recently made the switch back from NA to EU, you won't notice it most of the time, chaining several move skills one after another, is definitely smoother for instance, and you'll avoid some hiccups in PvP if you're into that.
In my case, lag spikes have been less noticeable and frequent as well so far (it has been getting annoying lately, but once again, personal thing)

Finding groups for specific Fractals, and obviously Raids, even for PuGs, is also easier on EU because you'll be playing a peak times if you have a 'regular' schedule, I mostly played on US until now and I just discovered why people complain that the LFG tool is a mess, it certainly is more crowded when I play for sure :p

Thanks, guys. I downloaded it and it runs really badly and it's tricky to control with a track pad so not sure how much I'll be playing it to be honest.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Upcoming-changes-in-Spring-Quarterly-Update

Hi all,

This week we&#8217;re completing dev work and starting integration for the upcoming Spring Quarterly Update, which we&#8217;re preparing to launch in mid- to late April. It&#8217;s a busy week making sure everything comes together right and hits our quality bar.
I know that the discussion around legendary weapons is still fresh on everyone&#8217;s mind. But as we&#8217;re locking in the contents of the quarterly update, there are some specific things I should tell you about today.
The quarterly update will include changes to Fractals, and among those will be changes to the tiering structure. We&#8217;ll have to retire two of the current achievements, Casual Fractal Hero and Core Fractal Hero. While we&#8217;ll introduce new achievements to replace the ones we&#8217;re retiring, any progress made toward the old achievements will not count toward the new ones. If you&#8217;ve been working toward the old achievements, you have a few weeks or so left to wrap them up.
With the quarterly update we&#8217;ll also reduce scribing costs across-the-board. Here are some of the ways that will happen. We&#8217;ll reduce material costs on recipes: for example the Basic Ink Set will no longer require a Simple Ink Set, and each Sandpaper recipe will now require less Sand. Reducing the demand for basic materials will reduce their prices. We&#8217;ll add significant new supplies of Resonating Slivers, so that they no longer serve as a barrier to scribes who don&#8217;t have a guild supporting them. And we&#8217;ll increase drop rates of certain other components. These are going to be impactful changes, so we want to give you this advance notice, and encourage you to consider pausing here and waiting for the quarterly update before doing a lot of new scribing.
Two weeks ago we polled the WvW community about Desert versus Alpine borderlands. The majority of players asked us to bring Alpine back. We&#8217;ll do that. It actually takes quite a bit of time to dust off old content and bring it up to the current game state, so it won&#8217;t happen in time for the quarterly release. Instead we&#8217;ll launch the quarterly update with improvements to Desert, use that as an opportunity to get the community&#8217;s feedback on those changes, then we&#8217;ll swap to Alpine when it&#8217;s ready. Changing borderlands maps like this will disrupt matches in progress, but we think that making changes on live servers, where everyone can test, is worth the cost.
I wanted to give this early heads-up about these areas. You already know quite a bit more about the things we&#8217;re working on for the April Quarterly Update, but I&#8217;ll stop here for now. I think our jobs are to delight you with what we ship, not with big talk or big promises. So hang tight. Release day will be here soon enough.

Mo

tldr:

- Changes in fractal tiering structure; finish your casual and core fractal hero achievements if you haven't already
- Scribing will be cheaper (reduced material requirements, easier access to resonating slivers)
- Alpine Borderlands will be coming back at some point but not with the April update. Changes will be made to the Desert Borderlands with the April update

nataku

Them throwing away the desert map is sad to see and not a good sign for WvW in general. I have no doubt they'll think twice about investing heavily into WvW in the future based on this whole fiasco. Creating a map like that takes a shitload of time and money, they won't be doing anything like that again unless they're sure the WvW player base will love it. I really hope they re-purpose it into something like an alternate EOTM map or something instead of just tossing it, because it really is a pretty map... unlike the alpine borderland.

Xion385

Hi GAF,

I just got the base game for free and I was looking a group of people to play with. :)

I played the orignal Guild Wars for six years and I just looked that I had level 17 Hall of Monuments rewards. I was wondering if there some people willing to show me the ropes to the new game?

What's the meta game character right now? My main used to be a necro and I was wondering if they were any good in GW2? It's going to take some getting used to that I don't have my heroes and a max party of 8. I think it's only 5 in this game.

I hope I have fun with this game like I did with GW1.

Mxrz

Do not believe they're throwing away the Desert WvW map. Changes, etc. Wait and see.

GW2 is a lot different than GW1, but there's similar things too. Best to just think of it as a new game, that carries over a lot of the lore. While it shares some of the same principles, its also radically different on others. But things change.

Meta is different between PvE & PvP, but about every class has viable pvp builds. In PvE, meta really only applies to Raids now. Maybe the extreme end of fractals. All classes generally have a role they can fill.

Necros got a beefy upgrade in HoT. In Raids they're all about the Viper (Stat combo) condi dmg. Sometimes pug tanking. Wouldn't worry about that for a long, long time. Currently they aren't most supportive of classes, so they can be overlooked else where in pveland in favor of better dps, better support classes.

Wanderer5

Maybe they will do a rotation or such, but well that might be quite a lot of work to deal with. It has its quirks, but I still see some nice potential for desert BL and it is pretty.

Also with 7 fractals to do, I should go finish causal hero at least.

Xion385

GW2 is a lot different than GW1, but there's similar things too. Best to just think of it as a new game, that carries over a lot of the lore. While it shares some of the same principles, its also radically different on others. But things change.

Meta is different between PvE & PvP, but about every class has viable pvp builds. In PvE, meta really only applies to Raids now. Maybe the extreme end of fractals. All classes generally have a role they can fill.

Necros got a beefy upgrade in HoT. In Raids they're all about the Viper (Stat combo) condi dmg. Sometimes pug tanking. Wouldn't worry about that for a long, long time. Currently they aren't most supportive of classes, so they can be overlooked else where in pveland in favor of better dps, better support classes.
Thanks for the info!

What are the classes to play right now solo/group/raid? Also does race have any benefits to the class you select? i.e. Asura elementalist?

Been itching to play a new MMO since I recently built my first new PC in six years.

Sonicbug

Thanks for the info!

What are the classes to play right now solo/group/raid? Also does race have any benefits to the class you select? i.e. Asura elementalist?

Been itching to play a new MMO since I recently built my first new PC in six years.

Races don't have any effect other than on the personal story to a point. (Except for character size perceived run speed and jumping puzzles... Norn and Char are huge, Asura small.)

I main a necro/reaper and they are a lot of fun. It's pretty quick to get to 80 and unlock your skill set, so don't worry too much about locking yourself in.

Zeroth

Hi GAF,

I just got the base game for free and I was looking a group of people to play with. :)

I played the orignal Guild Wars for six years and I just looked that I had level 17 Hall of Monuments rewards. I was wondering if there some people willing to show me the ropes to the new game?

What's the meta game character right now? My main used to be a necro and I was wondering if they were any good in GW2? It's going to take some getting used to that I don't have my heroes and a max party of 8. I think it's only 5 in this game.

I hope I have fun with this game like I did with GW1.

Hi there,

Just post your character name and we will invite you to the guild :)

SAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom